HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

WWE Invites Glenn Beck to Raw

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
  #26
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
I fail to see any reason why not. They ARE characters on TV.
Because they try to stay in character even when not performing, unlike real actors.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
  #27
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133
Then why do heels do make-a-wish stuff and WWE shows guys like Henry at anti-bullying campaigns?

It's entertainment. It's in the name, world wrestling entertainment.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:54 PM
  #28
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Why do they stay in character on Twitter sometimes? Why do they not use their real names when doing interviews on TV shows? Why do they refer to each other by their ring name?

I don't remember Robert Downey Jr. being introduced as Tony Stark on The Tonight Show. I don't remember the cast of Walking Dead staying in character like CM Punk and Triple H did in the summer of 2011.

I'm not denying its entertainment. I know it's entertainment. I'm just saying its not the exact same as TV/movie characters and shouldn't be held to the exact same standard. There is still some slight existence of kayfabe.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
  #29
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,196
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Why do they stay in character on Twitter sometimes? Why do they not use their real names when doing interviews on TV shows? Why do they refer to each other by their ring name?

I don't remember Robert Downey Jr. being introduced as Tony Stark on The Tonight Show. I don't remember the cast of Walking Dead staying in character like CM Punk and Triple H did in the summer of 2011.

I'm not denying its entertainment. I know it's entertainment. I'm just saying its not the exact same as TV/movie characters and shouldn't be held to the exact same standard. There is still some slight existence of kayfabe.
They stay in character on Twitter (the ones that actually do) to help promote the product?

Robert Downey Jr has played dozens of different characters. He isn't Tony Stark, Iron Man started showing up in the 60s, long before Downey Jr played him. Apart from a couple of failed experiments, characters in the WWE are for one guy only. Tony Stark wasn't made for Robert Downey Jr, nor was Tony Stark made by Robert Downey Jr, so why would he have any claim to it? Phillip Brooks IS CM Punk, that's his creation to use as he sees fit.

If Robert Downey Jr came up with Iron Man himself, and broke into the entertainment business by playing Iron Man, doing nothing but play Iron Man for years and years and years, then maybe it would be a different story, but that isn't what happened. Robert Downey Jr has name value beyond Iron Man. "An interview with Robert Downey Jr" means something, an interview with "Michael Hickenbottom" means nothing.

Many actors don't actually use their real names either, a lot of musicians go by their stage name instead of their real name, porn "actors" also, who is Saul Hudson? nobody, who is Slash? a world famous musician.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:45 PM
  #30
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
They stay in character on Twitter (the ones that actually do) to help promote the product?
Yes, I agree. Real actors don't do this to promote their movies/TV shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Robert Downey Jr has played dozens of different characters. He isn't Tony Stark, Iron Man started showing up in the 60s, long before Downey Jr played him. Apart from a couple of failed experiments, characters in the WWE are for one guy only. Tony Stark wasn't made for Robert Downey Jr, nor was Tony Stark made by Robert Downey Jr, so why would he have any claim to it? Phillip Brooks IS CM Punk, that's his creation to use as he sees fit.

If Robert Downey Jr came up with Iron Man himself, and broke into the entertainment business by playing Iron Man, doing nothing but play Iron Man for years and years and years, then maybe it would be a different story, but that isn't what happened. Robert Downey Jr has name value beyond Iron Man. "An interview with Robert Downey Jr" means something, an interview with "Michael Hickenbottom" means nothing.
Right. I agree. And this is why wrestlers shouldn't be seen as the same type of entertainers as TV/movie actors. Wrestlers aren't as open about the fact they are playing characters as TV/movie actors are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Many actors don't actually use their real names either, a lot of musicians go by their stage name instead of their real name, porn "actors" also, who is Saul Hudson? nobody, who is Slash? a world famous musician.
They have stage names, but the characters they play in TV/movies don't also go by that stage name.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:20 AM
  #31
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,196
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Yes, I agree. Real actors don't do this to promote their movies/TV shows.

Right. I agree. And this is why wrestlers shouldn't be seen as the same type of entertainers as TV/movie actors. Wrestlers aren't as open about the fact they are playing characters as TV/movie actors are.

They have stage names, but the characters they play in TV/movies don't also go by that stage name.
because other actors play a variety of roles instead of stricly one character for years and years and years with no breaks?

But they ARE entertainers/actors who are on TV. That is indisputable fact whether you like it or not. Not every entertainer/actor needs to conform to your perceptions lol.

Actually in some cases they do and indeed many wrestlers actually have went by their real name for their "role" also.

I really have no idea what you are going on about at this point, wrestlers are actors on Television, Wrestling is entertainment, the stories are written just like other TV shows, it's pretty much the closest thing to live soap opera there is nowadays.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:29 AM
  #32
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
because other actors play a variety of roles instead of stricly one character for years and years and years with no breaks?

But they ARE entertainers/actors who are on TV. That is indisputable fact whether you like it or not. Not every entertainer/actor needs to conform to your perceptions lol.

Actually in some cases they do and indeed many wrestlers actually have went by their real name for their "role" also.

I really have no idea what you are going on about at this point, wrestlers are actors on Television, Wrestling is entertainment, the stories are written just like other TV shows, it's pretty much the closest thing to live soap opera there is nowadays.
I didn't say wrestlers aren't entertainers. I just said that we can't look at them as the same type of entertainers as actors. The fact that wrestlers sometimes try to stay in character and give off the illusion that it's all real is what makes them different. It's one reason why we haven't seen a blatantly racist character (as least in the last 20 years or so) on WWE, but we do see on TV shows/movies. Even in the attitude era, the closest we had was the Nation of Domination. WWE can't cross certain lines that TV/movies can because of kayfabe.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:46 AM
  #33
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,196
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
I didn't say wrestlers aren't entertainers. I just said that we can't look at them as the same type of entertainers as actors. The fact that wrestlers sometimes try to stay in character and give off the illusion that it's all real is what makes them different. It's one reason why we haven't seen a blatantly racist character (as least in the last 20 years or so) on WWE, but we do see on TV shows/movies. Even in the attitude era, the closest we had was the Nation of Domination. WWE can't cross certain lines that TV/movies can because of kayfabe.
But they are entertainers and actors lol.

"entertainers and actors" is a pretty broad category, wrestlers fall into it. So do the people who have played Barney. Oh, and Barney made appearances in character also, and the show tried to appear "real". Like lots of other children's programs.

RAW/Smackdown is a scripted episodic television show which tells stories. The curtain was pulled back a loooooooong time ago.

A "blatantly racist" character is just lazy writing and the risk of it just outright destroying the guy would be too much. It's a big ask to turn a character after going through a being "blatantly racist" gimmick, you'd be a fool to want to take the gimmick on for the most part.


Last edited by Morozov: 02-24-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:48 AM
  #34
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I mean... this is a weird debate going on. I see both sides of it. WWE is very different but eventually they will have to keep up with the times. The real character/kayfabe character is tricky. It's the only place where characters remain characters forever. Wasn't it Owen Hart who said "ALWAYS stay in character" ???

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
  #35
chuckdobbins
Moderator
 
chuckdobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,332
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I mean... this is a weird debate going on. I see both sides of it. WWE is very different but eventually they will have to keep up with the times. The real character/kayfabe character is tricky. It's the only place where characters remain characters forever. Wasn't it Owen Hart who said "ALWAYS stay in character" ???
I give the superstars lots of credit for the work they do outside of the ring. I remember a couple years ago when Miz and Sheamus were doing the radio tours in Boston to promote the Raws/Smackdowns and Royal Rumble for the week ahead. They did an amazing job of staying in character but still getting the message across without sounding corny or rehearsed. They know it's not real, the hosts know it's not real, but to any kids listening I'm sure they never picked up on it. Miz was a heel at the time as well, and did a particularly good job.

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
  #36
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
But they are entertainers and actors lol.

"entertainers and actors" is a pretty broad category, wrestlers fall into it. So do the people who have played Barney. Oh, and Barney made appearances in character also, and the show tried to appear "real". Like lots of other children's programs.

RAW/Smackdown is a scripted episodic television show which tells stories. The curtain was pulled back a loooooooong time ago.

A "blatantly racist" character is just lazy writing and the risk of it just outright destroying the guy would be too much. It's a big ask to turn a character after going through a being "blatantly racist" gimmick, you'd be a fool to want to take the gimmick on for the most part.

I agree, they are entertainer/actors (although actors can usually act). I'm just saying they are very different from TV/movie actors and shouldn't be treated the same way, and your point about a blatantly racist character just strengthens my point. The curtain is not completely pulled back. If it was, there would be no kayfabe today. I know there is not nearly as much as there was 20-30 years ago, but it still exists.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
  #37
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I mean... this is a weird debate going on. I see both sides of it. WWE is very different but eventually they will have to keep up with the times. The real character/kayfabe character is tricky. It's the only place where characters remain characters forever. Wasn't it Owen Hart who said "ALWAYS stay in character" ???
Twitter really killed this. There's no mystique to characters anymore because of the way Twitter is used by many of them. Today, if an Undertaker-like character made their debut they'd probably have a Twitter account.

__________________
He's got the whole world in his hands...


I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
  #38
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,196
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
I agree, they are entertainer/actors (although actors can usually act). I'm just saying they are very different from TV/movie actors and shouldn't be treated the same way, and your point about a blatantly racist character just strengthens my point. The curtain is not completely pulled back. If it was, there would be no kayfabe today. I know there is not nearly as much as there was 20-30 years ago, but it still exists.
The curtain is pulled back enough for those old enough to realize, the kayfabe stuff is just an illusion. It doesn't take much intelligence to realize that it's all fake, most people who aren't kids know. Once you know it's fake, the fact that they try hard to pretend it isn't really doesn't mean much at all, it's just all part of the show.

I'm not going to hold wrestling to some higher standard lol you can feel free.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
  #39
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133
CM Punk took a shot at WWE for breaking kayfabe, it'd seem...

CM Punk @CMPunk
Thankfully that magician just showed the audience how he sawed his assistant in half, so I don't ever have to pay to see it again.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
  #40
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Punk is an old school wrastler, man. It's 2013. People know it's fake. But I do not like how they did that, either. I thought it was tremendous, but to really antagonize, they could have just made the character even more harsh. No need to call our one guy and break kayfabe.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:40 PM
  #41
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
Wait, what?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
  #42
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133
Iron Sheik on Glenn Beck.

"the @glennbeck you deserve to be waist deep in dog **** drink gasoline you insult my fans Im going to beat the **** out of you dumb *****"

"The @glennbeck win Oscar for go **** yourself you dumb piece of **** no good mother****er I beat the **** out of you put you in camel clutch"

"%10000 The @glennbeck have raisin balls and rice crispy dick"

"@davidarquette bubba you said it perfect. The @glennbeck biggest piece of **** c*cksucker who mother is worse than chris brown"

"Live and Let Die new name if the @glennbeck in it called Die Now You No Good Mother****er #teamsheikie"

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
  #43
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,599
vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Iron Sheik on Glenn Beck.

"the @glennbeck you deserve to be waist deep in dog **** drink gasoline you insult my fans Im going to beat the **** out of you dumb *****"

"The @glennbeck win Oscar for go **** yourself you dumb piece of **** no good mother****er I beat the **** out of you put you in camel clutch"

"%10000 The @glennbeck have raisin balls and rice crispy dick"

"@davidarquette bubba you said it perfect. The @glennbeck biggest piece of **** c*cksucker who mother is worse than chris brown"

"Live and Let Die new name if the @glennbeck in it called Die Now You No Good Mother****er #teamsheikie"
I lost it at "rice crispy dick."

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
  #44
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou
 
Axman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Iron Sheik on Glenn Beck.

"the @glennbeck you deserve to be waist deep in dog **** drink gasoline you insult my fans Im going to beat the **** out of you dumb *****"

"The @glennbeck win Oscar for go **** yourself you dumb piece of **** no good mother****er I beat the **** out of you put you in camel clutch"

"%10000 The @glennbeck have raisin balls and rice crispy dick"

"@davidarquette bubba you said it perfect. The @glennbeck biggest piece of **** c*cksucker who mother is worse than chris brown"

"Live and Let Die new name if the @glennbeck in it called Die Now You No Good Mother****er #teamsheikie"
the Sheik is nuttier than ever. He really doesn't require any provocation.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
  #45
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133
WWE should bring in the Iron Sheik to cut a promo for 10 minutes. Just have someone at ringside say random names to allow Iron Sheik to go off on them.

Chris Brown, Hulk Hogan, Glenn Beck, etc

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
  #46
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,668
vCash: 500
#teamsheikie

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 PM
  #47
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
On Raw a few years ago, didn't WWE tease the Iron Sheik would host his own talk show on TV? I vaguely remember some sort of backstage segment where they hinted towards this but nothing came of it. That would have been awesome.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
  #48
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133
They didnt trust him on live TV, I think.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
  #49
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
I AM A MERCENARY
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,324
vCash: 133

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:54 PM
  #50
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,025
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
The best stuff from Cole since he was interviewing Rock back in the day.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.