HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Science
Science A place to discuss natural, formal and applied science topics such as chemistry, physics, biology, logic, engineering, etc.

Lack of sleep messes with your genes

Old
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Lack of sleep messes with your genes

http://news.discovery.com/human/heal...mkcpgn=rssnws1

Quote:
Lack of sleep has been blamed for everything from poor driving to memory problems. Now, researchers think they’ve started to pinpoint why: week-long sleep studies of people resting for 10 hours a night vs. six hours showed significant changes in gene activity.

When sleep was restricted to under six hours a night, researchers noted that 444 genes showed suppressed activity, and 267 genes showed more activity. Those genes control everything from the body’s immune system to its reaction to stress.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
As was pointed out in the article, I think the quality of sleep and consistent hours of sleep are most important. If I can get 7 hours of sleep a night, I feel fine. If I get nine hours of sleep, I feel exhausted. If I get 6 hours or less, I feel like a zombie. I guess it has to do with your rem cycle and all that psy 101 junk.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Weirdly, lack of sleep doesn't really effect me. I function just as well off of 10-12 hrs of sleep as I do on 3-4. I guess I'm just rare?

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote