HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-minus | Penguins 3, Panthers 1

Old
02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
I'm not a big "fighter" guy, like, I hate senseless fights, but I miss 2-3 years ago when we lead the league in majors, when we were physically punishing. I have NO CLUE why it stopped.

Seriously, why did we sign Tanner Glass? He does NOTHING if he's not going to be physical and occasionally fight.

I also have to give another minus:

Steigy and Errey. I usually don't mind them, but they drove me ****ing nuts tonight. Talked about the most irrelevant crap, couldn't focus on anything important with the game. Don't care about some save immediately after the Panthers goal, just so much. I hated this game from start to finish.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
cheesedanish87

Disco basically just gave his lines if geno is out. Sutter would move up with neal and BB. DJ with cooke and TK

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I put some of it on Crosby, most of it on the coach. There's a benefit to "leading by always keeping your head" but there's also a cost to it. We saw that tonight and maybe after tonight.
I thought I was laying it on pretty thick.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I thought it was pretty telling that the Panthers didn't dress George Parros tonight. Other teams don't think coming into Pittsburgh is a 'tough night at the office' anymore.

When the other team dresses a fourth line of Kovalev-Smithson-Santorelli, it speaks volumes imo.

I'm with Iced...this comes from the bench, ON PAPER we shouldn't be this soft. We've lost some toughness over the years and I really think we could use a true enforcer, but we shouldn't be this soff.
What's so telling? Even Kovalev has more sandpaper than pretty much all of the Pens. Wasn't that evident tonight?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
what bout bergeron? and booth? how long were they out?

I dont have the numbers to back me up but we all know most of them don't last that long.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
vodeni

- dreading to have to check these medical reports every f...... day,

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

+Jeffrey trying to take over Kennedy's ice time.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I don't think it's the players. I think it's the coaching. Engelland used to own faces. Did he just decide to stop?

I've heard stories of Bortuzzo doing the same.

Glass has done nothing.

Cooke is neutered.
Is there anything that happens that isn't DB's fault. IMO I'm glad they didn't do anything stupid that could have lost the game at that point. A) The hit was clean B) We needed to show some discipline. Is this the same board that just screamed about how we retaliate so much against teams like Philly that go after our stars, and that is why we lose?

However, I would have liked to see Engo or Glass go after Gudbranson late in the game when it was 3-1.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
we get it dude, you wanna see violence.

Its not like the guy intentionaly slammed malkin into the boards. Malkin tripped and was in a horrible position. Nothing to really retaliate about.
And that is why the Pens have become a playoff failure.

It's got nothing to do with retaliation. It's got to do with standing together and for one another. You think guys like Malone and Roberts would've given two ***** if it was a clean hit. Nope. Someone would pay for Geno being sent to the dressing room.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Cooke - DJ - TK is a very soft third line... not so sure Jeffrey won't be slotted at 2C... which is bad news in a different way. I think for sure if Geno is out long enough to have a bad impact on our record, Shero will make a trade... Jeffrey can handle 3LW, 4LW and 4C IMO and that's about it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I thought it was pretty telling that the Panthers didn't dress George Parros tonight. Other teams don't think coming into Pittsburgh is a 'tough night at the office' anymore.

When the other team dresses a fourth line of Kovalev-Smithson-Santorelli, it speaks volumes imo.

I'm with Iced...this comes from the bench, ON PAPER we shouldn't be this soft. We've lost some toughness over the years and I really think we could use a true enforcer, but we shouldn't be this soff.
True. I was wondering where he was. And why would they dress him? There's not a single 'scary' guy on this roster anymore. No big fighters, no agitators, not even any big hitters. Didn't Glass like lead the league in hits last year? Did he just forget about that part of his game? When was the last time our D hammered someone camped out in front of our goal? I've forgotten what a forecheck looks like.

This team is going to get steamrolled by any team with an ounce of grit, toughness, and skill.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Disco basically just gave his lines if geno is out. Sutter would move up with neal and BB. DJ with cooke and TK
if Crosby isnt playing with Neal im done

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
+Jeffrey trying to take over Kennedy's ice time.

Was only a matter of time before that picture surfaced.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I dont have the numbers to back me up but we all know most of them don't last that long.
pretty sure bergeron was out for approx. a year and a bit, booth's hit was ****ed so he was out for a while, but you are right, the majority of them are a month or so at the most

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I put some of it on Crosby, most of it on the coach. There's a benefit to "leading by always keeping your head" but there's also a cost to it. We saw that tonight and maybe after tonight.
We've seen it before tonight with teams going after Letang, and we most assuredly will see it after tonight.

You know, maybe he doesn't think anything, but, if you're Geno, one game after getting cross checked 20 times in a row and nobody does a ******* thing, you get taken out of a game and nobody does a ******* thing . . . do you notice that?

Old
UnderratedBrooks44

+ Fleury. Making himself big and coming out to challenge and letting pucks hit him. Some nice shots by Florida he made look easy.

+ Markstrom looked like he has real promise. I was at the game but it looked like he blew the Nisky goal though. Note sure if it hit someone and rose though. Either way he looks like he can play.

- It's amazing watching Kennedy closely. More often than not he gets the puck, skates a little, and it just finds its way to the other team.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And that is why the Pens have become a playoff failure.

It's got nothing to do with retaliation. It's got to do with standing together and for one another. You think guys like Malone and Roberts would've given two ***** if it was a clean hit. Nope. Someone would pay for Geno being sent to the dressing room.
damn straight. gretzky had a bodyguard on his line for a reason, we need a couple on this team, get Kennedy of the ****ing team and bring one in

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Cooke - DJ - TK is a very soft third line... not so sure Jeffrey won't be slotted at 2C... which is bad news in a different way. I think for sure if Geno is out long enough to have a bad impact on our record, Shero will make a trade... Jeffrey can handle 3LW, 4LW and 4C IMO and that's about it.
I think you're selling him a little short. He was throwing his body around a bit this game, and it's not like Sutter is some physical beast out there either. Sutter is good because he's positionally sound. Jeffrey I think plays the game in the same mold as Sutter defensively. Maybe not as good, but he can handle 3rd line center.

Also Bylsma basically said in his presser that the centers are just sliding up the lineup so Sutter is playing with Neal and Bennett, and Jeffrey is playing with Cooke and TK.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
GrouperTrooper

Exactly- then they'll go off about how Crosby and co are undisciplined. Cant have it both ways folks- it wasnt malicious and it wasnt even a chippy game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
we get it dude, you wanna see violence.

Its not like the guy intentionaly slammed malkin into the boards. Malkin tripped and was in a horrible position. Nothing to really retaliate about.

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Seems like even when we win Bylsma has to be blamed over something.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
- It's amazing watching Kennedy closely. More often than not he gets the puck, skates a little, and it just finds its way to the other team.
I think it's pretty much a no brainer to me that Kennedy sits for Boychuk, but I doubt that happens now.

Old
GarrettC

Will wait for an update before jumping off a bridge...but they aren't winning a playoff round regardless with their soft play as of late.

GarrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What's so telling? Even Kovalev has more sandpaper than pretty much all of the Pens. Wasn't that evident tonight?
Serious question: Do we hit anyone anymore? I mean the Flyers is always a pretty physical game, but if I had to classify every team as a "they hit at least as much as expected" or "not a hitting team" the Penguins would be clearly in the latter category.

Speaking of not hitting, how come all of a sudden Orpik likes holding on to the puck until an opposing player has a chance to try and take it off of him?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Jiggyfly

- props to DB for giving BB three games on the third line and moving him up for game four like he said he would.

- props to DB for benching TK.

- I'm really disappointed in Neal. Where is the beast on the forecheck we saw when he first came here? He basically grinds out 4 feet of board and if the puck moves beyond that, his legs look broken. It's frustrating to watch.

- Jeffrey once again showing why he is so crafty in front of the net. He just finds ways to produce no matter what.

- BB each game shows incremental improvement. Today he laid a couple of big hits, showed a little of his creativity and he is holding his own along the boards.

- Despres had another strong game.

- Nisky played mean tonight. Love him with anger issues.

- Dupuis brings it every night. If this team ever had the depth for him to be a third liner, they would be dominant.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
Is there anything that happens that isn't DB's fault. IMO I'm glad they didn't do anything stupid that could have lost the game at that point. A) The hit was clean B) We needed to show some discipline. Is this the same board that just screamed about how we retaliate so much against teams like Philly that go after our stars, and that is why we lose?

However, I would have liked to see Engo or Glass go after Gudbranson late in the game when it was 3-1.
As much as I dislike Bylsma, I don't think the lack of balls is on him. For all his faults, he's always seemed like an old-school guy when it comes to this kind of stuff. Shero has always had physical teams with plenty of brawlers, and stated that he always would. So who does that leave to blame? Clue: it's not the players.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote