HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-minus | Penguins 3, Panthers 1

Old
02-23-2013, 07:07 AM
clefty
What?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
That idiot would be your head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Bylsma audio is here. Around the 1:10 mark.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...id-it-postgame
The first line doesn't need help, they're getting along just fine as it is. Crosby's just got to shoot more and defer less.

But I think people are being crazy optimistic if they think a second line of Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis is going to pose any kind of serious offensive threat. At least with Neal there's a deadly shot that defenses are going to need to respect.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:42 AM
od71

I was shocked when Steigerwald said after 3rd Pens goal, Malkin was out with concussion: "no Malkin, no problem". Does he understand what he says? It was not funny.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
I was shocked when Steigerwald said after 3rd Pens goal, Malkin was out with concussion: "no Malkin, no problem". Does he understand what he says? It was not funny.
There's two ways you can read into it:

1) Steigy was being extremely cocky and ignorant homer and said it as a testament to the incredible talent on the roster: Malkin is disposable.
If that is how you want to take it, you will be offended.

2) Steigy was being a proud homer, and made the comment as a testament to the incredible talent on the roster: They are capable of picking up their game when faced with adversity.
I tend to think this is a bit more plausible, considering the [recent] history of injuries on this team.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
There's two ways you can read into it:

1) Steigy was being extremely cocky and ignorant homer and said it as a testament to the incredible talent on the roster: Malkin is disposable.
If that is how you want to take it, you will be offended.

2) Steigy was being a proud homer, and made the comment as a testament to the incredible talent on the roster: They are capable of picking up their game when faced with adversity.
I tend to think this is a bit more plausible, considering the [recent] history of injuries on this team.
or 3) Steigy is a cocky, proud, and ignorant homer who is generally undecipherable.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:13 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I really enjoyed watching that game. I've seen Florida a bunch of times to know they hang around games this season and fight/scratch/claw. They aren't very good, but they are always in games. Here are some quick notes:

- Kunitz was AWFUL even with his goal. I thought his goal was the only time he actually played hard. There were about 5-6 times where Kunitz would be "forcing" a guy to make a pass. Instead of busting his ass back, he just kind of turns and casually comes back to the play. Well... Dupers was on fire forechecking the hell out of the next guy and Kunitz actually could have come back and stolen the puck on multiple occasions, but he was too damn lazy.

Which brings me to a quick discussion about our forecheck. We would force more turnovers and definitely score more goals if we sent a 2nd guy and had our F3 high so our defense can activate. When our defense really activated (mostly Letang and Despres), we kept the puck alive in their zone FOREVER. It was beautiful.

+ Fleury: I think that was the most I've ever seen flower stop and hold the puck. Man was he terrific. I also loved his game because he wasn't trying to make athletic saves for the sake of doing it. He just straight stopped the shot and covered the puck when needed. That type of goaltending really took away from what Florida does.

- Tyler Kennedy: I was once one of your biggest supporters on this board. And once you were a player who won battles, didn't turn the puck over, and actually did good things for us. TK is complete hot garbage. He turns the puck over, barely can win a battle, and doesn't do anything productive for his line. I don't even want to see him dressed at this point. He has been given every chance to make up for last season and just sucks. I'd be completely fine if DJ took his spot on L3.

+ I still can't believe how good Paul Martin has been. He's worth every penny of his contract if he can play this way all season. I still am not 100% sold he can, but hey.. I will be VERY happy to eat crow.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
or 3) Steigy is a cocky, proud, and ignorant homer who is generally undecipherable.
Haha, this is probably it. Don't read into anything the guy says, it will only make your brain hurt.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
4) Steigy is an incompetant jackass who has no business being an NHL PBP guy.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:34 AM
stefanh

According to Rob Rossi:

Quote:
Evgeni Malkin is experiencing concussion symptoms, including severe headache and mild disorientation, multiple sources confirmed Saturday.
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice...sion-symptoms/

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
mpp9

Well, it was nice having Sid/Geno healthy while it lasted. As long as he's ready come postseason, we're fine. Gives Jeffrey and Sutter more opportunity.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I really enjoyed watching that game. I've seen Florida a bunch of times to know they hang around games this season and fight/scratch/claw. They aren't very good, but they are always in games.
Absolutely, and they are actually on-pace for the same number of loser points this year (4 so far in 17 games) as last year (18 to end the season). 25 of their games last season went to OT, this year they are at 5, but they have lost 4 of those. BUT, it is worth mentioning that all 5 of those OT games have come over the course of the last 10 games, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go into "claw-and-scratch" mode to grab the Southeast again this season.

Old
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
When sid was out last year Geno stepped it up to another level. Now its your turn Sid

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SirBrad

Quote:
oh boy. this again.

SirBrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Time to see what this team is really made of.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:45 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Come on, guys. Can't think every concussion is your typical Sid concussion. It's going to happen. Geno will be back. No worries. Maybe the time off will help him go insane when he comes back.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:46 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
Time to see what this team is really made of.
No... that time comes in the postseason. We have won games with players injured before.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
End of Line
Human After All

I'll wait for word from the team, not Rossi.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:50 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Come on, guys. Can't think every concussion is your typical Sid concussion. It's going to happen. Geno will be back. No worries. Maybe the time off will help him go insane when he comes back.
hopefully he recovers from concussions like Asham does.

Hopefully he's back within a month.

SirBrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
hopefully he recovers from concussions like Asham does.

Hopefully he's back within a month.
The difference is that if Asham doesn't play, he doesn't have a job.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:57 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Is there even anything saying this is a concussion yet? I'm still hoping it's not that serious.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
D Heinze

Quote:
I really enjoyed watching that game. I've seen Florida a bunch of times to know they hang around games this season and fight/scratch/claw. They aren't very good, but they are always in games. Here are some quick notes:

- Kunitz was AWFUL even with his goal. I thought his goal was the only time he actually played hard. There were about 5-6 times where Kunitz would be "forcing" a guy to make a pass. Instead of busting his ass back, he just kind of turns and casually comes back to the play. Well... Dupers was on fire forechecking the hell out of the next guy and Kunitz actually could have come back and stolen the puck on multiple occasions, but he was too damn lazy.
Kunitz had a half dozen good scoring chances and was stoned by Florida keeper. That said, he wasn't a strong 5-5. His play on the PP was exactly what we needed though, his goal, however disproportionate to his game, was a big goal

Which brings me to a quick discussion about our forecheck. We would force more turnovers and definitely score more goals if we sent a 2nd guy and had our F3 high so our defense can activate. When our defense really activated (mostly Letang and Despres), we kept the puck alive in their zone FOREVER. It was beautiful.

+ Fleury: I think that was the most I've ever seen flower stop and hold the puck. Man was he terrific. I also loved his game because he wasn't trying to make athletic saves for the sake of doing it. He just straight stopped the shot and covered the puck when needed. That type of goaltending really took away from what Florida does.

- Tyler Kennedy: I was once one of your biggest supporters on this board. And once you were a player who won battles, didn't turn the puck over, and actually did good things for us. TK is complete hot garbage. He turns the puck over, barely can win a battle, and doesn't do anything productive for his line. I don't even want to see him dressed at this point. He has been given every chance to make up for last season and just sucks. I'd be completely fine if DJ took his spot on L3. Oh boy. I don't know what to say about the guy except I think that he could use a healthy scratch as much as the team could

+ I still can't believe how good Paul Martin has been. He's worth every penny of his contract if he can play this way all season. I still am not 100% sold he can, but hey.. I will be VERY happy to eat crow.
I saw a little of the old Pauly tonight. He got muscled off of the puck, regained control (a plus) but then tried his usual cool, composed backdoor play and it was picked off by a forechecker. But I am nitpicking, his play has been as refreshing as Fleury's

I would add:

+ Adams. Another good game. He surprises me with his acceleration for an old man.

- Glass. I need to notice you in a game like this, where talent isn't the end-all be all

+ I think Niskanen has a lot of room to grow. Most of it is in his own end. He show positive signs every year. A good pickup worth holding on to

+ Despres. Skated very well. Looked composed and confident with the puck one minute, then panicked and easy to take off the puck another. To be expected. I'm very happy with him

+ Dupuis. I didn't really notice him, for once.

+ Until Malkin was injured, I think he played a hard game. He was injured in doing what he did many times tonight - driving hard to the net. This is what he needs to do to get off his schnide. Hope that he gets a couple days off with muscle damage and comes back no worse for wear.

+Special teams. We need to win special teams every night. We have been this season. Hope we keep it up

- Neutral zone play. I've noticed this year that they are getting better on closing gaps between their own blueline and high slot. That said, we need a wing to be putting on backpressure and be putting it on HARD in our side of the neutral zone. Regularly, we are penning the opposition off to one side, only to have them thread the pass and all three forwards are trapped on one side of the ice. All it takes is for one of the opposition D to pinch and we have an odd-man rush.

- Our forechecks are still weak. Our positioning is fine but our bloodlust is not. Hope we are just biding our time until the playoffs, because I'm not seeing the puck retrieval of a winning team right now.

As we have all said over and over and over again, we need to get more disciplined and meaner. This isn't one of either the players or the coaches. It's both.

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I'll wait for word from the team, not Rossi.
I think Rossi and geno are pretty close I think rossi is writing a book with geno right now

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
The only possible good news here is that Rossi is a buffoon who generally makes educated guesses, tosses them out authoritatively, and hopes he's right. I'm waiting for the actual presser.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:07 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
The only possible good news here is that Rossi is a buffoon who generally makes educated guesses, tosses them out authoritatively, and hopes he's right. I'm waiting for the actual presser.
The bad news is, Rossi is a beat reporter and generally has access to very low-level info like this.

radapex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
The bad news is, Rossi is a beat reporter and generally has access to very low-level info like this.
But, I want to believe....

Old
02-23-2013, 09:16 AM
D Heinze

Quote:
But, I want to believe....
Yea. But I think it was Kasan who tweeted that he looked unsteady on his feet in the lockeroom?

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote