HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franson, Fraser, Gunnarson, Holzer, Kostka all need a contract!

Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Rielly4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Dion Phaneuf is our only defensmen that will 100 percent be on the team next year. Komisarek and Liles are the only other players with 1 way contracts but there definitely not a lock for next years roster. Then you have Gardiner who should make the team (1.1 m cap hit) and Morgan Reilly fighting for a roster spot.

Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????
first off, lets start this out by buying out Komisarek and trading Liles for a 3rd round pick. I like Liles but i think Rielly will be good to go next year.

Gunnarson should be moved, there is no need for him on this team any more. Hes been playing horrible but i think his value is decent and we really dont need him. Franson and Fraser should both be resigned right away, great 3rd pairing for us moving forward, one that can log big minutes.

Resign Kostka and Holzer as well as good depth guys.

Phaneuf-Rielly
???-Gardiner
Franson-Fraser
Holzer/Kostka

I think we need to sign a vet stud defensive d man to play with Gardiner or Rielly next year to solidify our defense.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Get them all signed except Kostka. He's this years Tim Brent. Decent depth player, but not worth re-signing.
Tell me with a straight face that you wouldnt want Tim Brent cantering our 4th line this year.

I still hold to this day we made a mistake by letting him go. Management had a choice between him and signing Crabb, and they chose Crabb

But to your point, I do agree with Kostka is a UFA who is replaceable. Maybe a trade deadline candidate if we can get an asset back

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Tell me with a straight face that you wouldnt want Tim Brent cantering our 4th line this year.

I still hold to this day we made a mistake by letting him go. Management had a choice between him and signing Crabb, and they chose Crabb

But to your point, I do agree with Kostka is a UFA who is replaceable. Maybe a trade deadline candidate if we can get an asset back
When we have a full lineup and McClement in the 4th line center role this team doesn't miss Brent at all. He's nowhere close to the calibur of JM and doesn't provide the leadership or high-end defensive abilities that McClement does.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Jerkini

Quote:

Are you joking?

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:44 PM
81Leafs50

1 of 2 things can happen.

1) All these guys are replaceable so the Leafs package Kulemin and MacArthur to make out like gangbusters.

2) Leafs trade Komisarek Franson, and Liles and have a cheap blue with Gardiner, Riley, Kostka, Holzer, Frasor, Phaneuf, Franson.

Either way the Leafs are in a very enviable position.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
1 of 2 things can happen.

1) All these guys are replaceable so the Leafs package Kulemin and MacArthur to make out like gangbusters.

2) Leafs trade Komisarek Franson, and Liles and have a cheap blue with Gardiner, Riley, Kostka, Holzer, Frasor, Phaneuf, Franson.

Either way the Leafs are in a very enviable position.
wheres gunnersson?

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Paul Ranger

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Are you joking?
Id take him over Steckel and Brown any day of the week.

Decent on draws, good on the PK (unlike Brown), and he would be able to create a forcheck more often, and allow Mclaren and Orr and McClement to do more of what they are good at. Attacking guys in the offensive zone,

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Id take him over Steckel and Brown any day of the week.
So press box fodder? Cool

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:00 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:

McClement is far better than Tim Brent.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Machinae

Kostka, Fraser, Holzer were all signed for depth, and to play in AHL. Leafs can keep them all if they all sign for the right price, but it won't be for term. They may all get slight raises, one-way, one year contracts. There is no reason to worry about space. If Rielly plays well enough to bump someone in training camp, then they get waived, it's not a big deal and if they clear it's a huge plus for the Marlies.

The problem is the money that is being sucked up by Liles and Komisarek. They need to be gotten rid of immediately. Going with the 6 the Leafs have now, + Gardiner, + a depth signing for the AHL (Ranger) that could battle for a spot, and the possibility of Rielly sticking, is enough.

As usual, fans are terrified of having a glut of players for some reason.. It's a good problem to have. Teams need dependable depth.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Rielly4

Our d should look like this moving forward:
Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
Fraser
Franson
Kostka
Holzer
Ranger
Blacker
Percy
Finn

To me thats enough depth... We can afford to lose Gunner Komisarek and even Liles when Riellys ready, which should be next season.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:02 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
Our d should look like this moving forward:
Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
Fraser
Franson
Kostka
Holzer
Ranger
Blacker
Percy
Finn

To me thats enough depth... We can afford to lose Gunner Komisarek and even Liles when Riellys ready, which should be next season.

Dion
Franson
Fraser
Gards
Gunner
Kostka
Liles
Komi

This is one of the better D cores as is. Holzer has no place in my books.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:04 AM
NYjetsTOleafs
I'm Your Pushaaaa

yeah im not down for buying komisarek out. try to trade him at least... Wish liles could still work on this team, I liked him a lot.

Reilly should play another year in the WHL next year. Somebody mentioned Pietriangelo playing till he was 20 and did very well in the world juniors, now look at him.

NYjetsTOleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Kostka, Fraser, Holzer were all signed for depth, and to play in AHL. Leafs can keep them all if they all sign for the right price, but it won't be for term. They may all get slight raises, one-way, one year contracts. There is no reason to worry about space. If Rielly plays well enough to bump someone in training camp, then they get waived, it's not a big deal and if they clear it's a huge plus for the Marlies.

The problem is the money that is being sucked up by Liles and Komisarek. They need to be gotten rid of immediately. Going with the 6 the Leafs have now, + Gardiner, + a depth signing for the AHL (Ranger) that could battle for a spot, and the possibility of Rielly sticking, is enough.

As usual, fans are terrified of having a glut of players for some reason.. It's a good problem to have. Teams need dependable depth.
Holzer was drafted by the Leafs and was not retained after his ELC as 'depth' and Fraser has shown he's more than AHL fodder. Kostka was signed as AHL depth, though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote