Notices

ESPNBoston.com : Chiarelli looking to improve

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

vCash: 500
I think Briere is a gamer and a gnat, and he would replace Bourque on the third line, so we'd add size anyway!

I'm in the camp for it obviously, but I'm also inclined to wait a few weeks and see what happens in the standings and with injuries. Hopefully we'll still be sitting pretty in 3 or 4 more weeks. One thing is, if Briere comes in, we are far deeper than we are without him (obviously!).

Old
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
b in vancouver

Briere dives more than anyone. Yes he's a good player. Yes he picks it up in the playoffs. But I don't think I could handle cheering for him in a Bruins sweater.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I really hate that Chia gave Kelly a ntc. I don't know why a 3rd liner is getting one to begin with but he and Pevs may handcuff the team next year and they seem like key pieces to move.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I really hate that Chia gave Kelly a ntc. I don't know why a 3rd liner is getting one to begin with but he and Pevs may handcuff the team next year and they seem like key pieces to move.
Yes, I think Peverley is odd man out though if we need cap space. He has the higher salary, and he has a limited NTC, so he's movable.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
I agree with you on the NTC, but I'm still confident Kelly and Pervs will come through down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Why am I so confident?

I dunno!

Old
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
bp13

Quote:
Chris Kelly rarely loses a fight for a loose puck. He can kill penalties, win faceoffs, score on occasion (he's had a few big ones for us), and he's stayed healthy. I fail to see whose spot he's taking, or how he and/or Peverley will handcuff the team.

As for the NTC, I agree. Not sure how a player like him (as solid as he is) gets a NTC.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
MattFromFranklin

I'd rather keep Pevs than Kelly if such a situation arises. Maybe that's just me.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
JMiller

Is the conventional wisdom that- if they trade for Brierre- they would buy him out this summer? I can't picture them bringing in and holding on to that cap hit.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Is the conventional wisdom that- if they trade for Brierre- they would buy him out this summer? I can't picture them bringing in and holding on to that cap hit.
Or maybe Philly will retain some of his cap hit?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I'd rather keep Pevs than Kelly if such a situation arises. Maybe that's just me.
i agree. Pevs might not be as good defensively or in the face off circle but he is still solid in his own zone and can play all three positions. offensively he is far better then Kelly. i like both of them but with our cap the way it is for next year it's gonna be hard to keep both of those guys. extending Horton and obviously locking up Rask should be priority over keeping both Kelly and Pevs

Old
02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Chris Kelly rarely loses a fight for a loose puck. He can kill penalties, win faceoffs, score on occasion (he's had a few big ones for us), and he's stayed healthy. I fail to see whose spot he's taking, or how he and/or Peverley will handcuff the team.

As for the NTC, I agree. Not sure how a player like him (as solid as he is) gets a NTC.
In order to keep him, I would assume that was part of his demands

Old
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
MarchandMadness 63*

I think the Bruins should go after Briere and Mark Streit at the deadline, our power play would turn around instantly and you could punch the Bruins' ticket back to the Stanley Cup Final.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
ODAAT

B`s with 9 NTC/NMC
Wings 7
Flyers 9
Nucks 8
Hawks 8
Pens 8

Love or hate em above, these GM`s have all found a way to deal with the NTC`s/NMC`s in various ways and I`m confident, if need be, our Harvard educated GM will do just that if he feels it will make the team stronger

Old
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
In order to keep him, I would assume that was part of his demands
Obviously. It stuns me that it was necessary though given how much money he was also paid, and the length. He made out in every way possible in that deal.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:40 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Interesting Pattern there.........all the powerhouses like no trade clauses. Doesn't really fit the agressive trading style of Philly but still interesting.
Yep, they are restrictive to a degree, but become less so as they go on and we`ve all seen guys with them where the GM buries it one way or another. Dom posted a great information piece of the NTC`s which completely had me take my foot off the "I can`t stand them" kind of opinion.

We as fans will say we want player A/B or C to re-sign, what we don`t know is that any or all of those players will sign on, but only if they receive this, then we as fans sometimes hammer the GM for obliging completely forgetting how valuable this player or how much of a loss this team would suffer without these guys.

Heck, if Chia can trade a guy who stated emphatically he wasn`t playing and a team bit on it??? Anyone, well, almost anyone can get traded and EVERY GM, if they want to, can bury or trade a guy with a NTC

Chia appears to be highly respectful of the players and will seemingly always treat them right and not send them to the Junk heap but he`ll do what he and his staff feel is right.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Briere dives more than anyone. Yes he's a good player. Yes he picks it up in the playoffs. But I don't think I could handle cheering for him in a Bruins sweater.
Briere is exactly Brad Marchand just in a different color. You'd be fine.

If you're biggest reason for keeping Bourque over getting Briere is "he dives too much" than your heart isnt in the right place IMO.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I wouldn't want Briere because at his age his output is diminishing. His hit of 6.5 for this and another year is brutal. He's also not the easiest guy to get along with.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
C77

This board doesn't seem to talk about acquiring anyone that's under age 35....but if those players were on the Bruins they'd be considered old and washed up.

Recchi caught so much crap here for being "old and slow".

Old
02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

There is always NTC talk that comes up. As if people have any idea who a GM wants to trade... People like to imagine that Chia is DYING to move Kelly but he can't because he himself just gave him an NTC a year or two ago. PC outclevered himself! Doomed by his own hand!

I mean, it's a message board. I get it. Speculation is fun and I do it all the time. But it tends to devolve into "NTC's like candy" talk and tons of complaining about management.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:27 PM
remer

Briere already stated that he has no plan to waive his NTC. Good. Stay in Philly.
Chia needs to get a bit more aggressive and see if he can land Ryan O'Reilly.
One of Kelly or Peverely will likely be gone.
Bourque needs to go.
A tough fourthliner with some skill is still needed. (Paille Campbell ???)

Old
02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Briere is a bad idea. It's like paying for Kaberle again.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Yeah, I mean that only led to a Stanley Cup. But Kaberle was terrible and his 11 playoff points had nothing to do with it.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:46 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Cups are bad ideas?

Some of the stuff I read here...

Closed Thread