Notices

ESPNBoston.com : Chiarelli looking to improve

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

vCash: 500
The B's would almost be better off trying to package Krejci+Peaverly for a signed Perry. You could give TS either the 1st or 2nd line center slot. Also you'd be clearing almost $8.5 mil in salary to resign Perry and helping out a little with whatever cap issue come up for next year because there's a problem a brewing.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:22 PM
thepootamis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The B's would almost be better off trying to package Krejci+Peaverly for a signed Perry. You could give TS either the 1st or 2nd line center slot. Also you'd be clearing almost $8.5 mil in salary to resign Perry and helping out a little with whatever cap issue come up for next year because there's a problem a brewing.
sorry but anyone that still wants to deal Krejci is nuts. The guy when his head is on right is one of the best centers in the league. Perry would fail in this system that Julien has. leave the top 6 alone and try to upgrade the 3rd line should be PC's priority

Old
03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
That is a lateral move,Bruins would be messing up another line to do that.I trust Chiarelli and I will say this one more time.He usually always does a deal that no one expected and i think thats what he will do again.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
sorry but anyone that still wants to deal Krejci is nuts. The guy when his head is on right is one of the best centers in the league. Perry would fail in this system that Julien has. leave the top 6 alone and try to upgrade the 3rd line should be PC's priority
You do realize the cap problems that are coming next year will mean people are getting dealt right? The B's are at $57 mil with no goalies signed and the cap is most likely going down. If they can move Krejci+salary for a player like a signed Perry you make that deal. DK is also someone ANA would want to boot.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
That is a lateral move,Bruins would be messing up another line to do that.I trust Chiarelli and I will say this one more time.He usually always does a deal that no one expected and i think thats what he will do again.
I don't think it's a lateral move. For the rest of the year the lines would be:

Lucic-Seguin-Perry
Marchand-Bergeron-Horton

or

Lucic-Seguin-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Perry

Both lines are far more dangerous then the current lines.

next year when some things' got to give any way the lines are:

Lucic-Seguin-Perry
Marchand-Bergeron-

Old
03-01-2013, 03:34 PM
thepootamis

Quote:
You do realize the cap problems that are coming next year will mean people are getting dealt right? The B's are at $57 mil with no goalies signed and the cap is most likely going down. If they can move Krejci+salary for a player like a signed Perry you make that deal. DK is also someone ANA would want to boot.
yeah i understand it but you need to understand that Horton will be gone thats 4 mil. Rask is making 3.5 mil this year so 2 of that mil goes to him still have 2 mil left over. Ference is gone and a AHL guy comes up. The Bruins will be fine

Old
03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
I thought of myself as one of the harshest Horton critics up until this year...I think he's been fantastic pretty much the entire year and well worth his contract. Better mobility, better battling; overall better hockey sense this season...seems like the concussion (the Rome one) did really hold him back for awhile. It'd be hard to see him go.

All that said, I don't really see a deal involving him for Perry. If the Bruins were to somehow land Perry I see us moving a 1st and a guy like Hamilton. The Ducks aren't going to get rid of a pending UFA just to get a somewhat worse pending UFA as the centerpiece of a deal.
I guess I always just expected a bit more from Horton when he's not shooting the puck. On that note, sometimes I expect more from him when he is getting chances (could have potted a trick last night). It was obvious when he came back he had to re-adjust, or re-acclimate himself, to the game. Same thing Bergeron went through basically. Expected. Certainly not trying to eat the guy's lunch for THAT. At times, I think we saw some of that w/ him early this season. I don't think he's been as physical as he was before Rome, also expected. So, I disagree in terms of the battling. Will be interesting to see what he wants to stay. Last thing we can do is allow goal scoring on any level to walk. We still haven't replaced Ryder's production, lemme rephrase, his intended production.

Obviously Perry would take more than Horton. Like other proposed moves, I can't see Chia ponying up what the Ducks would demand for Perry. This guy potted 50. Although, if he or Getzlaf gets too greedy, someone over there could be the odd man out this summer, even if they do sign both. Would I love Perry in black and gold? Duh. You'd be crazy not to.

But to be frank, I was surprised to hear there was interest in Briere, so. Part of me hopes Chia IS aiming higher than a solid 3rd liner and another D-man. But, I don't want him to screw the pooch doing it. Perry would be a good size shake up somewhere in the roster, then you have to sign him. Can't see it.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
I don't think it's a lateral move. For the rest of the year the lines would be:

Lucic-Seguin-Perry
Marchand-Bergeron-Horton

or

Lucic-Seguin-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Perry

Both lines are far more dangerous then the current lines.

next year when some things' got to give any way the lines are:

Lucic-Seguin-Perry
Marchand-Bergeron-

Yea you get a little better on top line most think.But you hurt the third line to do it.I know when Bruins won Cup Krecji led everyone in playoffs so I know what he can do in big situations and Pevs had some big goals to on that Cup run.Its risky you ask me cause personally I do not want Bourque there. Your proposal means he locked in i bet..I would rather Chia just add the depth guys or Iginla cause he is a UFA and they can let him walk.
But hey,I am not saying u are wrong either,>

Old
03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
yeah i understand it but you need to understand that Horton will be gone thats 4 mil. Rask is making 3.5 mil this year so 2 of that mil goes to him still have 2 mil left over. Ference is gone and a AHL guy comes up. The Bruins will be fine
The b's are at $57 mil without Horton or a signed Rask. They have 17 players signed:

11 f
5d
0g

You can't give rask $5.5 They'd be at $62 mil without a top 6 winger, no back up goalie and no d man. Not enough space

Old
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
The b's are at $57 mil without Horton or a signed Rask. They have 17 players signed:

11 f
5d
0g

You can't give rask $5.5 They'd be at $62 mil without a top 6 winger, no back up goalie and no d man. Not enough space
They're at $57 million with Savard's contract, which would go on LTIR, that figure also includes 2 3rd liners making $3m plus and a #4 defenseman making the same.

They'll get Rask and Horton done and figure out the rest.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Yea you get a little better on top line most think.But you hurt the third line to do it.I know when Bruins won Cup Krecji led everyone in playoffs so I know what he can do in big situations and Pevs had some big goals to on that Cup run.Its risky you ask me cause personally I do not want Bourque there..I would rather Chia just add the depth guys or Iginla cause he is a UFA and trhey can let him walk.
But hey,I am not saying u are wrong either,>
I'm looking at not just this year but next as well and we all know something's got to give. To get anyone the b's have to give up someone of value on the roster and if giving something up gives them a shot both this year and next then so be it. Teams aren't going to take scraps for players like Iginla and we have a weak farm system so someone's going.

I wanted Boyes brought here in the summer because he could play w/c pp and pk etc but whatever we've got bourque now

Old
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:

11 f
5d
0g

The way Rask is playing they will have to give him what he wants haha

Old
03-01-2013, 03:45 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
I'm looking at not just this year but next as well and we all know something's got to give. To get anyone the b's have to give up someone of value on the roster and if giving something up gives them a shot both this year and next then so be it. Teams aren't going to take scraps for players like Iginla and we have a weak farm system so someone's going.

I wanted Boyes brought here in the summer because he could play w/c pp and pk etc but whatever we've got bourque now
That is not true.They can get a UFA at years end without giving up roster players. Them teams are in danger losing them for nothing so they not onmes in drivers seats.Not saying one as good as Perry but Bruins are good enough they do not need him either,Just more depth with tough schedule and all.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
That is not true.They can get a UFA at years end without giving up roster players. Them teams are in danger losing them for nothing so they not onmes in drivers seats.Not saying one as good as Perry but Bruins are good enough they do not need him either,Just more depth with tough schedule and all.
When players like Paul Gaustad cost a 1st what do you think Cal will get for someone like Iginla because it's going to be a lot more then that. Marek Zidlicky cost Kurtis Foster, d Nick Palmieri, rw Stephane Veilleux, lw 2012 2nd-round pick Cond. 2013 3rd-round pick

Old
03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
When players like Paul Gaustad cost a 1st what do you think Cal will get for someone like Iginla because it's going to be a lot more then that. Marek Zidlicky cost Kurtis Foster, d Nick Palmieri, rw Stephane Veilleux, lw 2012 2nd-round pick Cond. 2013 3rd-round pick
Do not underestimate Chia is all I can say.He will surprise us all yet again,Wait and see.I trust him bigtime.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
They're at $57 million with Savard's contract, which would go on LTIR, that figure also includes 2 3rd liners making $3m plus and a #4 defenseman making the same.

They'll get Rask and Horton done and figure out the rest.
The cap has been reported at being set at $64 mil next year so without Savard money that leaves only $11mil in space to sign you starting goalie, a backup a top six winger a d man and leave space for injuries and trades. There's not enough room. Horton's not taking a pay cut from his $4mil and rask is getting a raise $3.5mil there's just not enough money to go around to replace a top six forward two goalies and a d man

Old
03-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Do not underestimate Chia is all I can say.He will surprise us all yet again,Wait and see.I trust him bigtime.
I trust chia but I also know he's been prone to sit on the sidelines more often then not.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
thepootamis

Quote:
The cap has been reported at being set at $64 mil next year so without Savard money that leaves only $11mil in space to sign you starting goalie, a backup a top six winger a d man and leave space for injuries and trades. There's not enough room. Horton's not taking a pay cut from his $4mil and rask is getting a raise $3.5mil there's just not enough money to go around to replace a top six forward two goalies and a d man
15 mil in cap with Savard on IR

5-5.5 mil for Rask 2 mil raise 13 mil left

Horton if resigned 4-5.5 mil 1-2 mil raise 11 mil left

Backup goalie .5-1 mil is all it costs for a backup 10 mil left

i am forgetting anything............. ohh thats right they could always buyout a player with their buyout which would open up even more cap space. they are fine

Old
03-01-2013, 04:16 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
remember a few things- just because your neighbor or coworker does something doesnt mean you do.

what we have is a Chiarelli body of work to study

he feels zero pressure to over pay

the Bruins are as popular as anytime since the Orr Bruins

he always has an eye on the bottom line and how moves fit- he may not be smarter than some here but the guy has a degree in economics from Havard, a law degree from a top Canadien University, and experience as both as part of an agent group and obviously a manager like now

He looks at moves from every angle, we (including moi) look at moves as if trading hockey cards

I agree this Bruins team needs a move to shore up the top 9 with a guy who can maybe play higher if need be

Iginla is sexy not in the sense as Miss Delaware, err the former Miss Delaware- but to hockey fans...but I dont see him as just a casual interest for Chiarelli- just to expensive and clearly they would have to overpay, find it very unlikely- plus read they are not very interested

Chiarelli to me will focus on the guys like you see on the Panthers- very good third liners who can help with depth; because of the cap I question if he even takes on a long term guy like Glencross who would send me into happy land but I dont see it because that pretty much means Horton is gone no matter what, or he has to deep six a guy like Kellly.

Again, Chiarelli is a loyal sob and these players arent trading cards....

what Chiarelli would like is Caron to freaking step up ASAP- if he's playing these 3 games starting in 2 hours he needs to play like his career depends on it.

I'm not sure who the guy is but it would be so much better if Caron can get it together and play like he did in that Toronto game last year where he looked like a young Kevin Stevens and grabbed first star on the road with a couple of nice goals

Caron is a big body with a defensive game and decent board work atleast thats what I thought- they could really use his size on the third line cycling wearing down the D. WTF is going on with him. He needs to realize he is blowing it. The size, the shot, the spot available...its not like he should be intimidated- hes done some good things, hes been to Prague, hes been on the Cup squad even if just practicing....this is mindblowing what has happened to him.

Last edited by DKH: 03-01-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
03-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
15 mil in cap with Savard on IR

5-5.5 mil for Rask 2 mil raise 13 mil left

Horton if resigned 4-5.5 mil 1-2 mil raise 11 mil left

Backup goalie .5-1 mil is all it costs for a backup 10 mil left

i am forgetting anything............. ohh thats right they could always buyout a player with their buyout which would open up even more cap space. they are fine
they're at $57 with savard and $53 without him. That $53 mil doesn't include rask.,horton,Ference or Khudobin. Savard only makes $4 mill on the cap that gives them $11 mil in space not $15mil. That $11mil in space doesn't include rask.,horton,Ference or Khudobin. That's 11mil in space for 5 players. 2f 2g 1d

Old
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
thepootamis

Quote:
they're at $57 with savard and $53 without him. He only makes $4 mill on the cap that gives them $11 mil in space not $15
then you just buyout or trade one of the members of the high glass line. don't know where you are getting this but i have had this argument so many times with people they are fine. they would have been screwed if their players wanted alot more money but that is not the case

Old
03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
C77

The situation with the Bruins cap situation next year reminds me of when they had Kessel, Ryder, and Kobasew all at RW and the fans here who paid attention sort of saw the writing on the wall for Kobasew's tenure as a Bruin.

You sort of have to think that the B's are going to keep Horton and Rask and that in the offseason they might move a couple of their mid-level guys out and hopefully replace them with a couple youngsters like Spooner and whoever else steps up.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
they're at $57 with savard and $53 without him. That $53 mil doesn't include rask.,horton,Ference or Khudobin. Savard only makes $4 mill on the cap that gives them $11 mil in space not $15mil. That $11mil in space doesn't include rask.,horton,Ference or Khudobin. That's 11mil in space for 5 players. 2f 2g 1d
They have a little over $11 million in cap space with Savvy on LTIR.

Ference is not coming back unless it's at $2 million.

Rask will get $5-$5.5 million.

Our backup will be Svenberg or someone else in the 850K range.

Gives us $6.5 committed to our goaltenders. Leaving us roughly $5 million too spend on a #5/6 defenseman and a forward.

Nathan Horton is not returning unless he takes what we can give him. I don't think he is coming back if I am honest.

The solution is not trading David Krejci, our #1 center, a proven playoff player and our BEST FORWARD (right now). Anyone still advocating trading the guy has not watched this year and does not pay attention.

Our line up, heading into the offseason with Krejci traded.

Lucic - Seguin - ??????????
Marchand - Bergeron - ??????????
Peverley - Kelly - ??????????
Merlot

Our line up with Krejci on the roster

Lucic - Krejci - ?????????
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Peverley - Kelly - ???????
Merlot

I like the roster with him.

Solution. Buy out/flip Chris Kelly, clearing $3 million off the cap, giving us $14 million too play with.

Rask - 5.5
Horton - 5.5
Back up goalie - 850K
Spooner - 870K
#4/5 D - 1.5-2

Even those numbers do not add up entirely. We need Horton and Rask to come in at/below 5 million. Horton is not a make or break for me. If he wants big money let him go somewhere else, use some of his cash on a defenseman and try to find a player to fit into the top 6 at $4 million.

The solution to our cap issues are not trading David Krejci. He is not the problem. The solution to our cap issues is NOT having a $4 million fourth line and a guy (Chris Kelly) making $3 million a year and playing like he currently is.

We knew the day was coming when some pieces would have too exit. No one can keep an entire team together in a capped system. Ryan Spooner is making this team next year (IMO) at center, on the third line. That makes Peverley or Kelly expendable. Peverley is the better player, is more versatile and younger. He plays the wing with Spooner and whoever we get to play the left side.

Tough decisions are coming. Keeping Krejci is not one of them. The cap savings have to come from further down the lineup.

The core of this team, as it is currently constructed (IMO) is, Krejci, Lucic, Bergy, Marchand, Seguin, Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton and Rask. Everyone else on the roster is an interchangeable part. After these upcoming playoffs this team will have been together for 3 years essentially.

A Cup in 2011, first round exit in 2012 and a Cup or ECF in 2013 means Chiarelli does whatever he can too keep the roster intact.

A Cup in 2011, a first round exit in 2012 and a 1st or 2nd round exit in 2013 means it will have been 2 seasons since this roster did anything in the playoffs and Chiarelli will have to blow it up a little bit.

I think he can change the roster around, and the mix, without blowing out the top 6.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:16 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
then you just buyout or trade one of the members of the high glass line. don't know where you are getting this but i have had this argument so many times with people they are fine. they would have been screwed if their players wanted alot more money but that is not the case
Chris Kelly. Shaving $3 million with Spooner's 870K taking his roster spot banks us 2.13 million in cap savings. We need an ELC on this roster too make the money work.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Numbah4

Quote:
Close to 10m of that goes to Horton and Rask. A backup goalie ties up the rest. We need another forward and have to replace Ference. I wouldn't be shocked if we have a brand new 3rd line next year. Kelly or Peverly will be gone. That saves 3.25m. Spooner centering a 3 third line of Kelly and ??. You have 3.25 for a defenseman and winger. Preferably Krug and Caron. Could be Knight.
Koko could even be that winger.

Closed Thread