Old
03-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Matt Cullen.
I haven't seen him play recently, but I believe he would be a solid addition. That's a good call.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:01 AM
bruinsfan001

If they can add without subtraction I'm all for it otherwise I really don't see a need for them to make any trades at this point, even with the cap space available. The team is solid top to bottom. The only possible area of concern is the the third line winger spot, but Bourque does seem to be getting better as the seasons progressing.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Yeah, and when he played he was pretty damn good. I was never sure why that move was generally derided around here. It's still brought up sometimes as a "failed" move and I don't get it.
MFMF was the epitome of inconsistency.

He was brought in to be the #1 and failed to usurp Thomas, instead proving to be a sometimes decent backup that cost over 4 mill on the cap. The fact that he cost any assets at all is and should be considered a loss as there were better or similar options available that would have cost nothing in terms of assets and been far cheaper on the cap (such as Auld, who went on to play 43 games in Ottawa and post a higher sv pctg for quite literally 1/4 of the price).

The problem that created the necessity of Fernandez was peoples lack of trust in Tim Thomas and the tendency to paint him as the scape goat due to his lack of traditional style.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:05 AM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
he is not getting paid more than that. this is really his first full year as the starting goalie. he will end up with 5-5.5 mil. nobody else will pay him more
You are probably right but its too early to say. that could change if Tuuka stands on his head and he takes the bruins deep in the playoffs .and of course vice versa.
What he does from here on out will most likely dictate what he gets for a new contract.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:07 AM
RussellmaniaKW

I would think if he acquired Cullen, Kelly would play the wing on the 3rd line.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Prospal or bust!

Old
03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
MFMF was the epitome of inconsistency.

He was brought in to be the #1 and failed to usurp Thomas, instead proving to be a sometimes decent backup that cost over 4 mill on the cap. The fact that he cost any assets at all is and should be considered a loss as there were better or similar options available that would have cost nothing in terms of assets and been far cheaper on the cap (such as Auld, who went on to play 43 games in Ottawa and post a higher sv pctg for quite literally 1/4 of the price).

The problem that created the necessity of Fernandez was peoples lack of trust in Tim Thomas and the tendency to paint him as the scape goat due to his lack of traditional style.
Good points, but I saw him as more than decent. I thought he played very well. Just because he didn't take the job from TT does not make the move a failure, at least in my eyes. There are always other options for any move, and when you bring in someone who has a hand in a positive result, I usually see that as a good move.

I feel like it is overthinking. It's part of sports, of course, especially on a message board. I mean, there are still people who consider Kaberle a bad move because there were other options. The end result is pretty great. Same idea to me.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Good points, but I saw him as more than decent. I thought he played very well. Just because he didn't take the job from TT does not make the move a failure,
Yea...
Good move, sure. Failure Yes.
He did not do what he was brought here (and paid to do) be a #1 goalie. He wasn't supposed to take the job from TT, it was given to him. Now, it sounds like I'm bashing the guy but I'm not.

Injuries are a mother*, and well, TT was sent from the heavens

Old
03-02-2013, 10:01 AM
JMiller

It's hard to bash anyone for being unable to beat TT for the #1 job.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:18 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
It's hard to bash anyone for being unable to beat TT for the #1 job.
Agreed especially considering our current goalie never could either.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Agreed especially considering our current goalie never could either.
Yes,it would be interesting if somehow TT would reappear on the Bruin scene right now ,would he be able to take the no.1 job away from Tuuka?Rask has been very very good in my opinion,almost as good as TT's amazing year a couple of years ago.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:26 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Versatile player, expiring contract at seasons end, could be a guy on Chia`s radar and Chia has a bit of dance partner history with Minny for trades although I`d rather forget the Fernandez experiment
I'm convinced that Cullen is the player the Bruins are and should be going after. Like you said, he's versatile, left hand shot, good on the draw, kills penalties, and I think he's exactly what the PP needs.

I would even consider that he may be an upgrade over Kelly for next season.

He's got an expiring contract at 3.5 right now.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

rask finally did beat thomas out for the starting job.

all it took was thomas being suspended and living 2000 miles away from the team

Old
03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
Yes,it would be interesting if somehow TT would reappear on the Bruin scene right now ,would he be able to take the no.1 job away from Tuuka?Rask has been very very good in my opinion,almost as good as TT's amazing year a couple of years ago.
I'd say the odds were against it. But then again TT has made his career pissing on the odds and making many of us eat crow.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
03-02-2013, 10:40 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
Gut feeling but Tuuk would have beat him out this year.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:07 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I'd say the odds were against it. But then again TT has made his career pissing on the odds and making many of us eat crow.

Any other player and "the odds are against him" means he's less likely to do it. But with Thomas it's just the opposite.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Cullen would be a solid addition.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I don't recall seeing Cullen ever play. Hell, when I see the name "Cullen" I think of John.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
I don't recall seeing Cullen ever play. Hell, when I see the name "Cullen" I think of John.
Underrated offensive player. Plays a 2-way game. Very versatile. He does run hot and cold on offense but overall I think he plays consistently, has a lot of speed, good hands.. would be a great addition that doesnt upset the chemistry of the top6. To me, he slides perfectly onto the 3rd line either as the lw or he could shift Kelly to lw.

On the PP, he could give the creative look from the left side lacking since Savard.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I've been watching the Wild games on NHL Gamcenter, Cullen has been playing great recently. Would be a great addition to the team, and probably would be a better piece to go after than Iginla, Briere, or Alfredsson because he'd be a cheaper asset to acquire. But, Iginla, Briere, Alfredsson are deffinetly better than Cullen, obviously. I'd love a 3rd line of Kelly- Cullen- Peverley. There's probably better pieces available though.

I think the needs for the Bruins coming up to the trade deadline is a 3rd line forward and a bottom 2 defenseman (more depth too). A top 6 winger that can finish wouldn't hurt, but I don't think any will be available for the Bruins to get, or at least pay for.

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 03-02-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 03:57 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
I've been watching the Wild games on NHL Gamcenter, Cullen has been playing great recently. Would be a great addition to the team, and probably would be a better piece to go after than Iginla, Briere, or Alfredsson because he'd be a cheaper asset to acquire. But, Iginla, Briere, Alfredsson are deffinetly better than Cullen, obviously. I'd love a 3rd line of Kelly- Cullen- Peverley. There's probably better pieces available though.

I think the needs for the Bruins coming up to the trade deadline is a 3rd line forward and a bottom 2 defenseman (more depth too). A top 6 winger that can finish wouldn't hurt, but I don't think any will be available for the Bruins to get, or at least pay for.
Cullen would be serviceable to many teams, and wouldn't have the hefty price tag.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Instead of gunning for Iginla, for whom Calgary will ask for the moon, why not target Mike Cammalleri? He was a beast for Montreal in the playoffs. He is too old to be an important piece for Calgary. Maybe offer them something like Caron and a 2nd (I suck at the proposal part). Thoughts?

Old
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
Instead of gunning for Iginla, for whom Calgary will ask for the moon, why not target Mike Cammalleri? He was a beast for Montreal in the playoffs. He is too old to be an important piece for Calgary. Maybe offer them something like Caron and a 2nd (I suck at the proposal part). Thoughts?
He has a cap hit of $6 million this year and next. That seems a bit too much. If this were his last year then yeah. He's a good goalscorer but I think he's overpaid. Not a terrible idea though. Not at all.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:35 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Is this Matt Cullen the same Cullen that was on the Hurricanes a few years back? If so, sign me up. Extremely versatile guy, really strong defensively and gave Bergeron nightmares at the faceoff dot during the 7 game series with Carolina a few years ago.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Duguay2

I don't want Cullen on this hockey team, thanks

Closed Thread