I don't want Cullen on this hockey team, thanks
Care to elaborate?

Old
03-03-2013, 08:04 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I don't recall seeing Cullen ever play. Hell, when I see the name "Cullen" I think of John.
Always been one of those "fly under the radar" kind of guys. Doesn`t really do any one thing exceptionally well, but does play a very quiet yet reasonably disciplined 3 zone game.

Don`t know his stats but I think he`s been about a 40pt guy on average?

Old
03-03-2013, 08:33 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

I don't have access since I'm on a phone, but IMHO the list of guys Chia would go after is reduced to ufa wingers and ufa depth defense. So who can post that list? Chia wont tale on Amy contracts beyond that IMHO.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

With the B's recently scouting the Ducks/Wild, what would people think about them bringing in Dany Heatley?

Obviously, he's not the player he once was (I don't think they'd be expecting that), but could he be the player Ryder was in 2011?

Consider...
-He's still got that devastating shot. Wrist, slap, one-timer, tips... and has 7 goals on the season (same as Horton and 1 more than Ryder).
-He's a big body (6'4 220) and while he isn't a big hitter, he is good along the walls, protecting the puck, and he's excellent in front of the net.
-He's a left shot (something I think our PP needs more of).
-He can play both LW and RW and can slide up the lineup for injuries if need be.
-He has a history with Chiarelli and is familiar with Chara and Kelly from their Ottawa days together.
-He'd also probably be cheap to acquire because you'd have to buy him out for $3m at the end of the season.

IMO, the B's have two needs: a 2nd pair Dman for when Sidenberg goes back with Z, and a forward with some skill and size. The B's don't have the assets to hit them both out of the park, so one of them will have to be of the Brian Rolston/low-rent variety.

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 03-03-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
With the B's recently scouting the Ducks/Wild, what would people think about them bringing in Dany Heatley?

Obviously, he's not the player he once was (I don't think they'd be expecting that), but could he be the player Ryder was in 2011?

Consider...
-He's still got that devastating shot. Wrist, slap, one-timer, tips... and has 7 goals on the season (same as Horton and 1 more than Ryder).
-He's a big body (6'4 220) and while he isn't a big hitter, he is good along the walls, protecting the puck, and he's excellent in front of the net.
-He can play both LW and RW and can slide up the lineup for injuries if need be.
-He has a history with Chiarelli and is familiar with Chara and Kelly from their Ottawa days together.

He'd also probably be cheap to acquire (because you'd have to buy him out for $3m at the end of the season), which is important because imo, the B's have two needs: a 2nd pair Dman for when Sidenberg goes back with Z, and a big forward with size. The B's don't have the assets to hit them both out of the park, so one of them will have to be of the Brian Rolston variety.
I would be on board for the right price.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Numbah4

Quote:

Consider...
-He'd also probably be cheap to acquire because you'd have to buy him out for $3m at the end of the season.

IMO, the B's have two needs: a 2nd pair Dman for when Sidenberg goes back with Z, and a forward with some skill and size. The B's don't have the assets to hit them both out of the park, so one of them will have to be of the Brian Rolston/low-rent variety.
I agree 100pct with your needs Bill. But, I'm not limiting my options to a winger. In fact, my preference is toward a LH Shot
center who can play between Peverly and Kelly. Kelly has been everything Ottawa fans told us he would be. He just doesn't have
the hands to be a center. Or, the creative offensive instincts needed. I don't really see a fit right now. Weiss has had a terrible year so far. Derek Roy is a smurf. But, he has experience and is a ufa at the end of the year.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Hmm Heatley, that's one I hadn't thought of. I could go for that if it wouldn't cost too much.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
mich25

Some UFA forwards that come to mind (since I think someone asked):

Alexander Semin (Car) 7mil
Jarome Iginla (CGY) 7mil
Corey Perry (ANA) 5.325 mil
Daniel Afredsson (OTT) 4.875 mil
Jaromir Jagr (DAL) 4.550 mil
Teemu Selanne (ANA) 4.5 mil
Marc Pierre Bouchard (MIN) 4.080 mil
David Clarkson (NJD) 2,666,667 mil
Milan Hejduk (COL) 2 mil

Can't see Semin, Alfredsson, Selanne, or Clarkson being moved. Not sure about Bouchard or Hejduk? Could see the possibility of Iginla, Jagr, and Perry.

Not sure what it would take to pickup Ignila, Jagr or Perry or Bouchard or Hejduk. I think we might be able to get away with out trading one of our top 6 for Iginla, but I could be wrong? Perry would cost us one of our top 6.

Also, as a side note if we put Savard on LTIR next season, sign Tuuka to 5.5m/yr and let Horton and Ference walk next year but sign a D at Ference's current salary this year (2.5 mil) we would have up to a little more than 7.5 m in cap space I believe.

* Danny Heatley is signed through next season. Cap is 7.5 mil...

Old
03-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Numbah4

[QUOTE=mich25;60850789]

I see our window of opportunity closing though on winning a cup and think these next 3-4 years are our best opportunity.

/QUOTE]

I don't see it that way at all. It appears we have an outstanding young goalie. A nice set of young forwards who have already won;
Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand and Seguin. A little short on young defensemen. Just one stud in Dougie. But, we have a few years to go before we have to replace Chara and Seidenberg.

Because of that I don't want to deal Spooner and Camara. They can fill that bottom 6 nicely and pretty cheap. I think Koko will have a hard time finding a niche on our squad and am not against dealing him or Subban. Not sure what to make of Jordan Knight yet. He can't stay healthy. But, sounds like a good 3rd line RW in our system.

The cap will probably go up after next year from what we've heard.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
JMiller

Quote:

Consider...

Makes a ton of sense for all the reasons you list. Just be a question of what it would cost to get him and if JJ would write a 3 million dollar check to set him free in a couple months. Might be worth keeping an eye on next year after he's bought out.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Wow, Clarkson has a pretty hefty raise coming to him.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Hm. Hadn't even thought of Heatley. I'd be on board with that.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Heatley would be interesting but he is the opposite of Ryder when the playoffs or big games start; I had a mancrush on him at one time but an NHL person told me he is more concerned with shooting the puck instead of all the other ' hockey stuff'. He pretty much took him apart- I was crushed...If was the definition of anti Bruins. I told WBC8 about him but we still worked out a deal in the SIM (where he is a very good player, the person who does the grading apparently never got the memo)

I'd say if Horton goes down then you shop here but otherwise I'd rather go look at the bottom teams for the Matt Hendricks of the world who can make a difference on the fourth line, elevated their game in the playoffs like last year, will make teams fight for every lose puck and inch of ice, and only cost you a Caron or a second rounder. Caron for Hendricks....wierd but if he doesn't step up in the next couple of weeks this is the type of deal you look for.

Ottawa with their rag tag group the other night made me think, damn it, all things equal give me a bunch of players who can skate, forecheck, take the body, and attack on that fourth line if that is what it takes before blowing up your future for some former star who has a Fat Head contract with the NHL.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Minnesota needs star power and they're looking to be a playoff team. They're not rebuilding anymore. Heatley is giving them good production, so they have no reason to move him. It would take a huge overpayment, and you'd have to buy him out on top of it.

Matt Cullen makes a lot more sense for what the Bruins needs are.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Boyes and Streit to Bruins for a Kaberle type package.

Brian Boyle to Bos for Caron.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
SPLBRUIN

No thanks to Heatley, he has slowed down over the years and only wants to unload one timers, dosen't go to the dirty areas anymore.If he couldn't produce while playing with Joe Thornton he ain't going to produce here.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Pierre Marc Bouchard is UFA hmm. I figured they were just tired of the concussion/injury problems and thought he had lost something along the way. He is more than skilled enough to play here, but I wonder if he has the grit......

Old
03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Heatley would be interesting but he is the opposite of Ryder when the playoffs or big games start; I had a mancrush on him at one time but an NHL person told me he is more concerned with shooting the puck instead of all the other ' hockey stuff'. He pretty much took him apart- I was crushed...If was the definition of anti Bruins. I told WBC8 about him but we still worked out a deal in the SIM (where he is a very good player, the person who does the grading apparently never got the memo)

I'd say if Horton goes down then you shop here but otherwise I'd rather go look at the bottom teams for the Matt Hendricks of the world who can make a difference on the fourth line, elevated their game in the playoffs like last year, will make teams fight for every lose puck and inch of ice, and only cost you a Caron or a second rounder. Caron for Hendricks....wierd but if he doesn't step up in the next couple of weeks this is the type of deal you look for.

Ottawa with their rag tag group the other night made me think, damn it, all things equal give me a bunch of players who can skate, forecheck, take the body, and attack on that fourth line if that is what it takes before blowing up your future for some former star who has a Fat Head contract with the NHL.
Ive actually already traded Heatley ..... he is great in the SIM but he sulks and it affects the teams Morale. He had like 1 goal in 10 games for me.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:13 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Boyes and Streit to Bruins for a Kaberle type package.

Brian Boyle to Bos for Caron.
Do we have another Caron who is like three times better than Jordan?

Old
03-03-2013, 12:15 PM
bp13

I realize he's a UFA, but even knowing that I have no idea why Anaheim would trade him when they could come of that conference.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:

Consider...

I thought about this, Bill, but my concern is his lack of interest. I know he is second in goals, but from what I've seen, they (fans) want him far away and soon. I think Cullen, despite not being a scoring winger, a much better option. Strong on defense and lefty, could really help the third line.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Comp

I'm wondering if Chiarelli will try to get Briere and see how productive he'd be on the third line. Because right now he isn't a person I would get and put on an already solidified line.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by komp View Post
I'm wondering if Chiarelli will try to get Briere and see how productive he'd be on the third line. Because right now he isn't a person I would get and put on an already solidified line.
Unless you can get him to waive NMC and convince JJ to write a big compliance buy out check this summer, Briere is not coming to Boston. Too many variables involved.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
Instead of gunning for Iginla, for whom Calgary will ask for the moon, why not target Mike Cammalleri? He was a beast for Montreal in the playoffs. He is too old to be an important piece for Calgary. Maybe offer them something like Caron and a 2nd (I suck at the proposal part). Thoughts?
Sounds good if that 2nd is a 3rd and they (Calgary) pay for 2mil per year of the remaining 2 years or the B's buy him out (depending on his performance) at the end of this season.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
I agree 100pct with your needs Bill. But, I'm not limiting my options to a winger. In fact, my preference is toward a LH Shot
center who can play between Peverly and Kelly. Kelly has been everything Ottawa fans told us he would be. He just doesn't have
the hands to be a center. Or, the creative offensive instincts needed. I don't really see a fit right now. Weiss has had a terrible year so far. Derek Roy is a smurf. But, he has experience and is a ufa at the end of the year.
Derek Roy would be the ultimate. People that like little guys like Brier or St.Louis would love this guy. Never quits and is money in the playoffs. Yes, he is small, but so what. He makes stuff happen just like St.Louis. UFA next year too if he doesn't work out. Wonder how much would it take to pry away from Dallas? Probably too much. But worth the try. He would even make Kelly a 20 goal scorer.

Closed Thread