HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Compressed schedule: What can the Bruins do?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Butler Island

vCash: 500
Compressed schedule: What can the Bruins do?

We've heard about the compressed schedule ad naseum, and now the Bruins are set to play pretty much playoff schedule for the rest of the season. (game every other night)

What measures can the Bruins take to avoid fatigue and injury as much as possible?

What ideas do you have that you would like to see the Bruins implement?

Will this team's experience with grinding through three 7-game series in 2011 aid them? If so, how much?

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Ratty

Have trust in your medical and training staff. Follow their direction. Drink plenty of fluids.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Every player issued one of these:

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post

What measures can the Bruins take to avoid fatigue and injury as much as possible?
Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Pie O My

continue to roll 4 lines come hell or high water. Even if it means a few more goals allowed and a game here or there sacrificed because of it. This may be a sprint instead of a marathon but you still want to be in one piece (or close to it) before the tourney.

They need to get to 55 points some way some how to make it into the tourney. That's 33 points in 34 games, so that's about 16 ROW's. They've got plenty to "give" so don't fall for this each game is 2% of the season and points are at a premium cr*p. They can have a 4-5 game losing streak and live to tell about it.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Killerbeez

Platoon the goalies whether we like it or not. Keep them fresh for later.

Killerbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Andrew83

Jump out to early leads and not have to expend extra energy to try to catch up from multi-goal deficits.

Andrew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
continue to roll 4 lines come hell or high water. Even if it means a few more goals allowed and a game here or there sacrificed because of it. This may be a sprint instead of a marathon but you still want to be in one piece (or close to it) before the tourney.

They need to get to 55 points some way some how to make it into the tourney. That's 33 points in 34 games, so that's about 16 ROW's. They've got plenty to "give" so don't fall for this each game is 2% of the season and points are at a premium cr*p. They can have a 4-5 game losing streak and live to tell about it.
I think they should give a lot of maintenance days. I think this team can rotate 1-2 players out a night and still live to see the playoffs.

ap3lovr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeez View Post
Platoon the goalies whether we like it or not. Keep them fresh for later.
i think CJ is on record as saying he's looking to do a 30-18 split, which is fine and dandy by me since Khudo has shown he is more than up for the task.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Honestly, the best move would be to strike the trades early, somewhere between early to mid March, in an attempt to compile as many NHL bodies as possible with either futures or prospects in return. Getting a jump on all the other teams will maximize the assets you have available to deal with. Having two bonafide NHL extras would be a huge luxury for this team heading into the craziest March / pre-playoffs schedule this current core has ever seen. That third-line left winger position really needs to be fixed, fast.

It's going to be an absolute grind, a playoff-like beast before even getting to the playoffs. We're going to need all four healthy lines rolling at once in one cohesive unit. Injuries will compound and take much longer to regain full strength. Rest and sleep will be at a premium. Medical care will be on the fly.

This year, we're going to have 4 months of playoff-like atmosphere. It's going to be ****ing awesome!

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
GordonHowe

This has been my worry.

Playing the fewest games of any NHL team, the Bruins' stamina hasn't been tested. I believe they've had a single back-to-back engagement.

Grueling March approaches. Watch out for the ruts.

GordonHowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
This has been my worry.

Playing the fewest games of any NHL team, the Bruins' stamina hasn't been tested. I believe they've had a single back-to-back engagement.

yeah thank goodness we don't have to play in Tampa for half the season.

Poor TBL - a good weather/finesse team playing in a bad weather arena.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Maybe its better for them to get in a groove, rather than the slow pace at which we have started the season

Or maybe thats just me haha. Im chomping at the bit to watch Bruins games instead of other teams games since the Bruins play so seldom it seems to start the season

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:58 AM
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
We've heard about the compressed schedule ad naseum, and now the Bruins are set to play pretty much playoff schedule for the rest of the season. (game every other night)

What ideas do you have that you would like to see the Bruins implement?

Will this team's experience with grinding through three 7-game series in 2011 aid them? If so, how much?

Pie mentioned it and it's worth repeating...roll all lines. REGARDLESS

Not sure what your asking...I'd like to see them change the lines up a bit and try Seguin at center for a couple of games to see how he does.

I think the experience will go along way. I still don't think this team is running on all cylinders; they are still putting passes in skates and trying to put pucks where pucks don't belong.

Once that all comes together I know we will see the Bruins start to really dominate.

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:32 AM
DaveFromNB

Roll 4 lines, and sit guys with minor injuries that can develop into bigger ones.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Ratty

These guys have had seven and a half months of rest. They should be ready to handle the challenge.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:11 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
These guys have had seven and a half months of rest. They should be ready to handle the challenge.
that's not really how it works though.. In fact.. going from ~7+ months of rest to playing games every other day in an instant I would say is a bad thing.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:12 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
This has been my worry.

Two ways to look at it, there`s yours then there`s the flipside where we have teams who`ve played more (and really, what`s it been? 3-4 games more) and some would say those teams would run out of steam too

The area I`m least looking forward to is, in spite of many surely commenting here soon about the amount of games this team will play, will often be the first to comment about lackluster efforts, guys not moving their feet, trade this guy and that guy forgetting all about their comments on a thread like this and that these guys aren`t robots.

Be warned Bruin fans, were about to watch more than a few really boring games, especially on those nights where the legs aren`t there. Let`s hope the pts keep coming

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Topshelf88

If they don't go undefeated or lose 2 in a row this place will detonate, I know that much.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
WBC8

Honestly I have pretty much given up on the season for lots of fun, exciting hockey. It's a league wide problem it seems. Having center ice, I see so many teams dialing it down a few notches game in and game out...also the 2nd half of back to backs teams seem to be just looking for a tie to get a point..I'm sure things will ramp up with the play-offs, but other then a few teams the games bore me to some extent so far.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Honestly I have pretty much given up on the season for lots of fun, exciting hockey. It's a league wide problem it seems. Having center ice, I see so many teams dialing it down a few notches game in and game out...also the 2nd half of back to backs teams seem to be just looking for a tie to get a point..I'm sure things will ramp up with the play-offs, but other then a few teams the games bore me to some extent so far.
Good pts, the game in general now is all systems, which is why, when I watch a team like the Flyers, I`m thoroughly entertained as Laviolette has never met a blackboard he`s liked and just let`s his troops play.

They`re fun to watch, but not often will teams that have an approach like this win these days. Today`s game is a trapfest with shotblockers, I blame Torts for this, been his MO for a long time and it`s why I have felt for years now that the guy is one of the most over rated coaches here. Hardly a game plan when you insist your boys all go back and block shots.

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Bmessy

Lots of non-exciting, defensive based hockey games. Julien will get you those W's

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Butler Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Good pts, the game in general now is all systems, which is why, when I watch a team like the Flyers, I`m thoroughly entertained as Laviolette has never met a blackboard he`s liked and just let`s his troops play.

They`re fun to watch, but not often will teams that have an approach like this win these days. Today`s game is a trapfest with shotblockers, I blame Torts for this, been his MO for a long time and it`s why I have felt for years now that the guy is one of the most over rated coaches here. Hardly a game plan when you insist your boys all go back and block shots.
Tortorella used to play an aggressive style in Tampa Bay.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch View Post
Beer. Lots and lots of beer.
not just any beer- Black and Gold

DKH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
not just any beer- Black and Gold
I suppose they could make an exception this once and go black and tan.

Looch is offline   Reply With Quote