HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Terrapin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Or a personnel time machine . . . but, let's save that one for another thread.

Agree 100%. And, if it proves to be the latter, then a lot of them are going to be seeking new employment. I can't imagine that they don't know that. The media coddles a lot of them pretty nicely, IMO, but if Geno played and something happened, then collectively they'd turn into the second coming of Woodward and Bernstein and Shero and Bylsma would be targets one and two of their inquisition.
Won't happen. That should have been the mentality of this team all along w/ Sid, Geno, Letang, etc. If Mario wants a soft team, he's going to have to deal w/ his stars missing significant time each season.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
There's really no reason to believe Rossi. If Bylsma had been caught lying about Crosby's symptoms or progress or whatnot then you could suggest it. There's no reason for Bylsma to lie. It's not like if he is hurt, there is any secret about which part of his body is hurt. This isn't "hiding a knee injury that might be a foot injury", etc.

If it walks like a Hack Journalist, Talks like a Hack Journalist and gets caught with his pants down like a Hack Journalist... chances are it's a Hack Journalist.
Ya the duck looks like a duck... I'm just trying to be impartial I suppose.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
IMO, no.

Supposedly Rossi is helping him write some part of his book but that's not proven AFAIK.

Even if it is, why not ASK MALKIN instead of these mysterious "multiple" unnamed sources?

Rossi could easily end ALL speculation and NAME HIS SOURCES (or at least two of them). This isn't Watergate here. No one's life is in danger. It's sports. Name the supposed sources and be vindicated. But he won't do that because there aren't any sources. He'd get caught in a second lie if he did that.
I honestly think-- and just wrote this-- that Rossi actually might be good at getting part of the Geno story. Where he gets into trouble is trying to make a story out of the unknown.

What's known:

1. Geno went into the boards in a way that most people felt that there's no way that it couldn't be a concussion.

2. Malkin allegedly appeared disoriented in the locker room. Nobody disputed that.

3. Malkin may have said his head hurt. As IcedCapp noted, it could have been shock from the whiplash and not a concussion. Perhaps no 'source' heard Malkin qualify how his head hurt. So, let's assume that he said this for now and grant Rossi's 'sources' the benefit of the doubt.

From this, one can make two deductions:

1. Malkin has took a hit that has caused the organization concern and displayed some symptoms afterwards that may suggest that a concussion is possible or even likely.

2. Malkin has concussion like symptoms.

The first is the safe story, designed to lead a reader to no conclusion as to what the diagnosis is.

The second is the more sensational story, designed to lead a reader to conclude that Malkin has a concussion while allowing the author to say, if it's not the case, 'well, I never wrote that he has a concussion'.

Rossi went with the second approach.

There's your explanation for how it's possible that neither Rossi nor Bylsma is technically lying. Embellishment I wouldn't put past either of them, but that's a different issue.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

He'll put a tea bag on it and be fine.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Won't happen. That should have been the mentality of this team all along w/ Sid, Geno, Letang, etc. If Mario wants a soft team, he's going to have to deal w/ his stars missing significant time each season.
I wasn't disagreeing with that. I was saying that this probably isn't an appropriate thread for the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
He'll put a tea bag on it and be fine.
Or Windex . . .

I will add this: I know that Rock Balboa drawing blood from Ivan Drago put to rest the myth of Russian athletes being machines, but if Geno actually does play tonight and puts up 3-4 points, then the myth should be considered alive and well.

Oops, my bad, just read Bylsma's comments directly . . . didn't see anything suggesting he even possibly might go tonight. Good call.

EDIT: The same twit who kept tweeting that Parise to the Pens was done insists that his sources tell him Malkin has a 'moderate to severe' concussion. Ergo, no concussion . . . K5.

Last edited by KIRK: 02-24-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Great news hearing that DB is confirming that Malkin hasn't experienced disorientation or any headaches.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:20 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 126
Sit him for a week or two just to be safe.

Wouldn't hurt.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Slabber Chops

After seeing the incident, one thing I was glad about. He stayed down. Every time I've seen someone take a hit similar to that and get up, they've had long term problems. Here's hoping that this highly unscientific measure continues

Old
02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Bylsma's comments sound like it's precautionary. Almost like they don't want Sid 2.0 where he gets hit again & get's in a plane to have something go wrong.

It also sounds like Rossi is once again full of crap.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:34 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Sit him for a week or two just to be safe.

Wouldn't hurt.
Sit him for a month or two. I wouldn't care. It's about a cup & we could get into the playoffs playing .500 hockey from here on out.

I don't give a crap about regular season accomplishments at this point.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Sit him for a month or two. I wouldn't care. It's about a cup & we could get into the playoffs playing .500 hockey from here on out.

Pretty much, anyways I really don't think the docs and management would rush him back

Old
02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

Pretty much. As long as he sits for a while who gives a **** about the regular season? Especially this really statistically weird shortened one.

I'd rather have a rested and 100% A-OK Geno, then a rushed back and still injured Geno who then gets hits again and ends up even worse.

Like I said yesterday, I'm sure he'll be fine, but if we need to shut him down for a week, a month, or the season just to be safe...hopefully they just shut up and do it. No screwing around and waiting and knuckledragging like how they did with Sid. If shutting him down for the rest of this year means a fully healthy Geno next year..then go for it I say.

Frankly, I could care less about the playoffs this year. If we make it, which I'm sure we will...that's great. But even if we do, this team has too many issues to truly make some postseason noise this year I think. Therefore it'd be moronic to rush Geno back for the playoffs and risk his career long term in a pathetic attempt to try and overcompensate for our current roster/offensives issues. As let's be honest even if he did come back, barring a miracle we just don't have what it takes this year I don't think. So why risk it??? Plus if he did come back in the postseason, what's to stop a braindead ******* like Rinaldo from pasting him headfirst into the boards??? Or hell, Ottawa might try something against him or Sid in April because of what happened to EK. Frankly I wouldn't put it past them....

Let the man rest and recouperate I say. In the meantime, hopefully Sid can revert back to being in pre-concussion God Mode and let Geno take his time coming back.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And before completely burying Rossi, it could be a simple case of Geno telling him, "My head hurt, I'm bit dizzy", then waking up the next day feeling a ton better.
Good point. Rossi wrote about Malkin's symptoms first thing Saturday morning, which means he was writing based off what he was told (or saw) during and immediately after the game.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Great news hearing that DB is confirming that Malkin hasn't experienced disorientation or any headaches.
Yep.

Quote:
MALKIN UPDATE
Pens head coach Dan Bylsma said that center Evgeni Malkin will continue to be re-evaluated by doctors. He added that a concussion has not been ruled out, but he hasn't suffered from headaches or disorientation at any point in time.

"(Malkin) will continue to be evaluated by our doctors tonight before the game," Bylsma said. "At this point in time we have not ruled out an concussion. I am happy to report that he has not been suffering from headaches or disorientation."

--Sam Kasan

Old
02-24-2013, 12:54 PM
leafspensfan

Did Malkin skate today?

I saw a video on PensTV and it showed him skating...not sure...

Old
02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Did Malkin skate today?

I saw a video on PensTV and it showed him skating...not sure...
No...

Quote:
MORNING SKATE INFO
Pens forward Evgeni Malkin, who has already been ruled out of tonight's game, was the only missing player for the team at the morning skate. The team elevated its centers in his absence. Judging from the morning skate lines, Neal will be skating with Crosby on the top line.

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
(Boychuk)

Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Letang
Engelland-Despres
Eaton-Bortuzzo

The power play units were as follows:
Letang-Martin
Neal-Kunitz-Crosby

Niskanen-Jeffrey/Despres
Bennett-Sutter-Kennedy

--Sam Kasan

Old
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
SirBrad

Wow can someone please punch Rob Rossi? This guy is the biggest tool. Reckless reporting as usual which is why he normally has to have 8 followup clarification tweets to explain a tweet.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
WarriorScholar

As I thought, he will only be out 2 weeks....and that's mainly due to precaution.

Good to see .

Now comes the silver lining in all of this. Bennett gets more action, Sutter gets more offense, Neal plays with Crosby. And when Malkin comes back, he will be better than he was before going out..chip on his shoulder

Old
02-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Wow can someone please punch Rob Rossi? This guy is the biggest tool. Reckless reporting as usual which is why he normally has to have 8 followup clarification tweets to explain a tweet.
i think quoting Rossi should be an offense worthy of an infraction.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
WarriorScholar

I don't even know where you guys read Rossi. Or why. I don't have twitter so...maybe that's it.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I don't even know where you guys read Rossi. Or why. I don't have twitter so...maybe that's it.
I don't by choice, just what I happen to see posted here. Such a terrible reporter on so many levels.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:07 PM
66-29-33

Good to hear Malkin has not have headaches, etc. Can a mod PLEASE edit the title to have "NOT" beside Malkin.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:09 PM
bradshaw06

I stopped following Rossi when he made a fool of himself with the whole jagrwatch thing.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:13 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i think mentioning Rossi's name here should be an offense worthy of a ban.
Fixed.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:30 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
I stopped following Rossi when he made a fool of himself with the whole jagrwatch thing.
The "PENGUINS HAVE JUST ACQUIRED YANDLE FOR MICHALEK AND KENNEDY!!!" episode did it for me.

Closed Thread