HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Ooops I told you guys. Not every concussion is a Crosby neck injury/concussion. Come on, people.
It's sad when people expect that reporters are lying about even sports. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt because I'm always on Rossi's case and didn't want to seem like I was being unfair about him reporting on a tough situation (vs stupid crap like trade rumors which half the media lie about).

Clearly though I should just assume every big headline he writes now is a lie until someone respectable backs it up.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:25 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Ooops I told you guys. Not every concussion is a Crosby neck injury/concussion. Come on, people.
It still could turn out to be one though. It's just that Rossi went full Rossi and jumped the gun by lying.

The way his neck snapped back, he'd almost have to be superhuman to not have a concussion.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not shocking. This country needs a media oversight board (not part of the FCC which is 100% gutless). Not because of Rossi but because there are people like him reporting on more important things, misleading and misinforming the public. Other than a handful of papers and magazines all journalism in NA and the UK is a big steaming pile...
You're walking down a dangerous path with a "media oversight board" though. Sounds good in principle, but in practice... not so much. We probably shouldn't get into a political-esque type debate though

Old
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Here is yet another piece on Rossi and his stellar reporting skills. Best part of this article (if you can call it that) was this quote.

Quote:
Malkin has disliked Rob Rossi for a long time and it culminated with Rossi’s January article that suggested that “Malkin paid like Crosby; needs to play like him” which showed Rossi’s true colors with the comments “I know that Malkin understands English well enough to routinely give Crosby a break from granting interviews…” and “He (Malkin) chooses not to do much more than just play hockey“.
http://www.penguinpoop.com/2010/did-...emieux-stupid/

Old
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Not shocking. This country needs a media oversight board (not part of the FCC which is 100% gutless). Not because of Rossi but because there are people like him reporting on more important things, misleading and misinforming the public. Other than a handful of papers and magazines all journalism in NA and the UK is a big steaming pile...
The good news is: newspapers are dying (slowly, but surely). Eventually there will be an overhaul of media, it's just going to take some time for the media business to stop throwing money at print outlets.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Holy **** that is fantastic news.

**** Rossi for making me worry all day yesterday.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
It's sad when people expect that reporters are lying. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt because I'm always on Rossi's case and didn't want to seem like I was being unfair about him reporting on a tough situation (vs stupid crap like trade rumors which half the media lie about).

Clearly though I should just assume every big headline he writes now is a lie until someone respectable backs it up.
After the "Jagr watch" fiasco, I finally unfollowed him on Twitter, and have completely stopped reading any article he writes. I can't fathom why people still give him credence in this town, but it's probably the same people that read TIOPS as well. They just love their sensationalism and rumors, no matter how false they actually are.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
It still could turn out to be one though. It's just that Rossi went full Rossi and jumped the gun by lying.

The way his neck snapped back, he'd almost have to be superhuman to not have a concussion.
Even if it is - a concussion doesn't mean it's the same as Sids.

Concussions are quite ubiquitous in the NHL. It's something we will see a lot of.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Here is yet another piece on Rossi and his stellar reporting skills. Best part of this article (if you can call it that) was this quote.

http://www.penguinpoop.com/2010/did-...emieux-stupid/
Yet he claim's he somehow close to Malkin. What ****ing idiot. I bet he got bullied a lot in school. He just seems like that type of kid that nobody liked.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:31 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Even if it is - a concussion doesn't mean it's the same as Sids.

Concussions are quite ubiquitous in the NHL. It's something we will see a lot of.
Oh of course. I agree with that point. Even still though, you'd have to think he'll be out for a few weeks regardless if it in fact is a concussion. That's just given the nature of the injury, the fact that Malkin is so important to this team, and we don't want to risk repeating the same mistakes we had with Crosby and Letang.

The team isn't hurting for wins at the moment, so no need to rush things.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
You're walking down a dangerous path with a "media oversight board" though. Sounds good in principle, but in practice... not so much. We probably shouldn't get into a political-esque type debate though
Haha. Sorry bad choice of words on my part. "Media Ethics Board" is what I'm driving at. IOW maybe an independant branch of the Justice Dept that can convene for special cases, to prosecute journalists or media owners who have been proven to have knowingly mislead the public, supressed important information, etc.

IOW not validating content but having a system of consequences in place for jounalists and news organizations that abuse the public trust.

But ya, don't want to go Full Rossi on a politics-in-hockey-board discussion. My fault. This is my area of pet peavedness / the area most likely to result in angry reactions, etc.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
SteelFish87*

Rossi should be fired

Old
02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
HEY ROSSI:

NAME 1 SOURCE. Just one.... and I might think you something other than a lying sack of **** looking for drama and clicks. WHich you're succeeding at nicely this weekend so shame on all of us. Until you have the balls to name a source, you're full of ****. Again this is not a Pentagon leak we're talking about here; it's sports. No one is going to jail or losing their job, including you if you're telling the truth.

Name one and everything will be cleared up.
If his source is on the medical staff they may be bound by some patient confidentiality agreement. If they are then naming them could certainly cost them their job.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:44 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
It's sad when people expect that reporters are lying about even sports. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt because I'm always on Rossi's case and didn't want to seem like I was being unfair about him reporting on a tough situation (vs stupid crap like trade rumors which half the media lie about).

It's not even that you believed the report that made it bad, it's more like you were playing dr without even being in the same room as Malkin.

You gave the definitive diagnosis of a minimum of 4-6 weeks and let's hope he's healthy for next season.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Ominous Grey

Wait, so what did idiot Rossi do now? Did he jump the gun on this?

Seriously?

Old
02-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

So what is the issue with Malkin if he isn't having headaches and disorientation? Is he sitting for precautionary reasons or did he hurt his back? Rossi's terrible reporting combined with how secretive NHL teams are about injuries leads to much confusion.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
So what is the issue with Malkin if he isn't having headaches and disorientation? Is he sitting for precautionary reasons or did he hurt his back? Rossi's terrible reporting combined with how secretive NHL teams are about injuries leads to much confusion.
I'm not sure, but I believe concussion symptoms can take a few days to manifest. So it may just be precautionary. Either way, I'd be totally fine if Geno sits out for a week or so just to be cautious.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
If his source is on the medical staff they may be bound by some patient confidentiality agreement. If they are then naming them could certainly cost them their job.
In that case they should lose their job anyway, because they'd have broken their patient confidentiality agreement by reporting the patient's condition to a reporter.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
I'm not sure, but I believe concussion symptoms can take a few days to manifest. So it may just be precautionary. Either way, I'd be totally fine if Geno sits out for a week or so just to be cautious.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

We should have known Geno can't be hurt. He's unbreakable.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:56 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Its annoying as hell their had to be a reason y he left the game friday and a reason y hes not playing tonight. The only thing we will probably get out of the pens is an upper body injury.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Someone needs to change this thread title.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

You would've thought Rossi would learn his lesson. Take this quote from back in '08.

Quote:
"A personal note: During my time covering the Penguins' arena saga, I was burned twice by so-called sources. I am still reminded and often haunted by it. That experience has changed the way I do business. I now print what I know from conversations with players, team officials and league personnel, and I attribute that information as often as possible. Even then I get bad information, but at least I can sleep at night."
http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib...#axzz2LqfaQuPi

Old
02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
PenguinTommy

Of course they didn't rule the concussion out. One day you're feeling good and next day, you've got headaches. I think it was too early too say what exactly Geno has, if anything.

That's why I didn't believe Rossi's "sources". Let alone when I heard some dates/weeks of missing.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:48 PM
JimsDoors

Rossi nor Yohe bring anything to the table.

Closed Thread