HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Dangles78

vCash: 814
It's a Rossi article, no? Not uncommon to feel "symptoms" after something like that, but it doesn't mean you have a mTBI.

Until he is evaluated, I'm not going to bridge jump, but he should be out 7-10 days regardless of what the first evaluation tests conclude.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Lomez
Old School

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but man we act like the world is over. Geno will be back. Injuries will happen during the season. As long as they aren't season ending, it's okay. **** happens.

We will have to move on and win games without Geno.
Agreed, completely. Injuries occur every year to every team. We'll live--and so will Geno.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Shelly Anderson‏@pgshelly

Does anyone else find it creepy that Tampa Bay is in town for game following Malkin's injury, just like Crosby?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Shelly Anderson thats one good point.
good job Shelly, way to put that journalism degree to use

Old
02-23-2013, 01:13 PM
madinsomniac

The thing is even if it is a concussion, the team wont rush him back. Crosby and savard and Lindros, and all the rest of the guys that had severe long term issues had a concussion and rushed back then got another that made it worse. Also, Crosby had a fracture in his neck that may have been the reason for the lingering effects. Id be more worried if he came back in a week than if he gets rested for a month, besides, a good stretch minus Malkin may be exactly the kind of thing that forces shero into making moves for skill players. Otherwise they probably will stand pat and add bottom of the lineup guys

Old
02-23-2013, 01:29 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Guys aren't always out a year for concussions. He could be back in a week.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
The thing is even if it is a concussion, the team wont rush him back. Crosby and savard and Lindros, and all the rest of the guys that had severe long term issues had a concussion and rushed back then got another that made it worse. Also, Crosby had a fracture in his neck that may have been the reason for the lingering effects. Id be more worried if he came back in a week than if he gets rested for a month, besides, a good stretch minus Malkin may be exactly the kind of thing that forces shero into making moves for skill players. Otherwise they probably will stand pat and add bottom of the lineup guys
No...I don't think that's true. I know there were soft tissue problems in the neck area, but I don't believe that a frature was ever diagnnosed.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Giskard
Spumoni!

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Indeed, Letang missed only some weeks ...

Old
02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Marns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Yeah, may not be that short, but your point is a valid one. The Crosby situation pretty much made us all paranoid when it comes to concussions.

On the bright side, Crosby just got his winger.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
No...I don't think that's true. I know there were soft tissue problems in the neck area, but I don't believe that a frature was ever diagnnosed.
To be honest, who the hell knows...I don't think we will ever know the full story.

Thats why that medical group got the freakin boot.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post

Seems like a no brainer, right? Bylsma happens to be our coach though, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
This has been said multiple times, because it's common sense, but apparently Bylsma prefers his method of putting square pegs in round holes. His plan (at this point) is to put Neal with Sutter, and keep Sid with Dupuis and Kunitz.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

I was already commenting on this last night, but I'll say it again....

While it is true you do not have to hit your head to have a concussion , it is a huge factor in the severity of e injury. That was some pretty bad whiplash....of course he would have a headache and feel out of it, why wouldn't he? Anyone ever been in a minor car accident, and get whiplash....it doesn't feel great but you're fine in a couple of days or whatever.

I'm not saying it won't take Malkin a week or two to feel completely normal, I'm saying there is a huge difference between whiplash and getting hit in the head causing the concussion. Especially when you are hit from the front , where your frontal lobe is ( controls emotions..how Marc savard was hit) , that's when it's scary. And that is when we have no idea how he person will respond. A hard hit can bring out certain underlying emotions that you've never experienced before...whether its anxiety, depression, just not " feeling right" .

So I didn't want to downplay malkin's injury last night, I was just happy it wasn't a direct hit from the front that caused this, and the fact that his head did not hit the boards. There's no doubt he was going to feel woozy and have a headache after this but it could have been a lot worse. By the way, I have a friend who is a professional in extreme sports, goes thru this type of **** frequently. Obviously not healthy for someone later in their life , but it really doesn't have an effect on someone's normal behavior . Which is what the worst concussions do( ones to frontal lobe) .

Old
02-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Marns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This has been said multiple times, because it's common sense, but apparently Bylsma prefers his method of putting square pegs in round holes. His plan (at this point) is to put Neal with Sutter, and keep Sid with Dupuis and Kunitz.
You just have to

Maybe Adams deserves a shot with Sid

Old
02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Stad
@Hagelin2Kessel

This ****ing sucks.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Sidney BrOSSby*
Locked in the Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
good job Shelly, way to put that journalism degree to use
Obviously I wasn't vocalizing sarcasm.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I was already commenting on this last night, but I'll say it again....

While it is true you do not have to hit your head to have a concussion , it is a huge factor in the severity of e injury. That was some pretty bad whiplash....of course he would have a headache and feel out of it, why wouldn't he? Anyone ever been in a minor car accident, and get whiplash....it doesn't feel great but you're fine in a couple of days or whatever.

I'm not saying it won't take Malkin a week or two to feel completely normal, I'm saying there is a huge difference between whiplash and getting hit in the head causing the concussion. Especially when you are hit from the front , where your frontal lobe is ( controls emotions..how Marc savard was hit) , that's when it's scary. And that is when we have no idea how he person will respond. A hard hit can bring out certain underlying emotions that you've never experienced before...whether its anxiety, depression, just not " feeling right" .

So I didn't want to downplay malkin's injury last night, I was just happy it wasn't a direct hit from the front that caused this, and the fact that his head did not hit the boards.
only... his head did hit the boards.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
only... his head did hit the boards.
Says who?

Old
02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Griffin6612

vCash: 920
Maybe this will force the team to learn to play defense again like two years ago.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:08 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Says who?
Not from what I saw. His back hit the boards which obviously caused the whiplash , his head to snap back like that. I could be wrong though. Replay isn't the greatest, a close up would be nice

Old
02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 74
So has it been confirmed as a concussion or concussion like symptoms???

Or has the Rossi article been all we have to go on so far????

Old
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin6612 View Post
Maybe this will force the team to learn to play defense again like two years ago.
This team hasn't been a disciplined defensive team for the last four full years Bylsma has been head coach. The last playoff series they won against a sliding Ottawa team was an overall poor defensive effort. Bylsma settling in as head coach and eroding defensive discipline go hand in hand.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
SherogoesHAM

Malkin is the type of guy that rarely gets injured. I can see him back sooner than later.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
This team hasn't been a disciplined defensive team for the last four full years Bylsma has been head coach. The last playoff series they won against a sliding Ottawa team was an overall poor defensive effort. Bylsma settling in as head coach and eroding defensive discipline go hand in hand.
Yep. I think if the Pens get bounced first round AGAIN, it demonstrates that DB's "system" is an utter failure. Time to start looking for a coach.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
So has it been confirmed as a concussion or concussion like symptoms???

Or has the Rossi article been all we have to go on so far????
The thing is that term "concussion-like symptoms" is just a made-up term so that the team doesn't have to come out and say that the player has a concussion. If a player has one or more symptoms of a concussion, then he has a concussion.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...gists_say.html

Here's part of the article (that hopefully is hyperlinked by maybe not):

Crosby’s concussion-like symptoms simply spell concussion, top neurologists say

When it comes to a concussion, you either have one or you don’t.

So when sports team officials announce that a player is suffering from “concussion-like symptoms,” they’re actually fudging the facts of an injury, two of Canada’s top neurosurgeons suggest.

“There is no (clinical) term ‘concussion-like.’ You either have one or you don’t,” Dr. Charles Tator, a Toronto Western Hospital neurologist says of the phrase.

“It’s a make-believe term that I think teams cook up to avoid the issue that a player has had a concussion.”

Tator, a leading advocate for head protection in sports, points to the case of Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer, who was out of the lineup for six weeks this season with what the team claimed was something only akin to concussion.

“And if you look at those films when he got hit, it was a terrible hit . . . to the head and they called it ‘concussion-like’,” Tator says.

“They didn’t own up to the fact that he had a concussion.”

The same terminology was used again this week to describe Pittsburgh superstar Sidney Crosby’s condition, when the Penguin said he wasn’t sure when he would return after coming back from a major concussion.

Tator says there are currently no medical scans or blood tests that can give a conclusive physiological diagnosis of concussion.

But, he says, there are several standardized lists of symptoms that allow physicians to determine if such an injury has been suffered.

One of the most important of these is the so called Sports Assessment Concussion Tool, or SCAT 2, which lists some 22 symptoms that are consistent with the syndrome’s presence.

These include effects like headache, dizziness, nausea or frank unconsciousness, Tator says that occur in the immediate wake of an injury.

Longer-term symptoms include such things as light sensitivity, ringing in the ear, emotional changes or memory loss.

“And we say one or more of those symptoms make the diagnosis of concussion,” Tator says.

Last edited by MeticulouslyDishevel: 02-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
Indeed, Letang missed only some weeks ...
I think Simmonds only missed like 2 games with a concussion earlier this year and he looked pretty good against the Pens.

Closed Thread