HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Aka "The Salesman"

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Wonder how may times the Panthers will blow a 3 goal lead before they get a goalie.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Wonder how may times the Panthers will blow a 3 goal lead before they get a goalie.

Depends on if they think they are losing because of their goaltending, or something else.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Depends on if they think they are losing because of their goaltending, or something else.
Quote:
Im not happy. Its a critical part of the season and every games important, Tallon said. We need to cut our goals against down. Its time. Hes played great down there and its time to see what he can do. Im not going to sit still and allow this to continue.
Bjugstad or bust.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Bjugstad or bust.
Interesting, Tallon cited GA as an issue, inferred it's goaltending that may be the problem by referencing Markstrom, brought him up, saw him and sent him back down...

Hmmm... Could this mean he's ready to make a deal? Or will he be OK with letting this season slip? Questions, questions.

SR, what do you think about Petrovic + Matthias + 2nd as the return?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Interesting, Tallon cited GA as an issue, inferred it's goaltending that may be the problem by referencing Markstrom, brought him up, saw him and sent him back down...

Hmmm... Could this mean he's ready to make a deal? Or will he be OK with letting this season slip? Questions, questions.
Link to article

Was my thought exactly. It was just strange to bring Markstrom up for only 2 games when you have 2 healthy goaltenders. George Richards said "it was to spark the team". Seems pretty odd to bring up a rookie goaltender for 2 games (and he lost both of them) to change momentum.

I was thinking perhaps a goalie trade is next? Would be pretty risky for Van to trade a goalie right now as they are the only reason this teams has won games thus far.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Don't see it, nor do I think it makes any sense for a horrible hockey team to bring in a veteran at this point, which will only hurt their draft position.

The Panthers season is essentially over. If Luongo goes to Florida, it won't be mid-season IMO.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bjugstad or bust.
If we get Bjugstad... I'd be so happy if he came here. He's got that toews/kesler side to him and he's a giant.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Don't see it, nor do I think it makes any sense for a horrible hockey team to bring in a veteran at this point, which will only hurt their draft position.

The Panthers season is essentially over. If Luongo goes to Florida, it won't be mid-season IMO.
Fla's 5 pts out of a playoff spot (and 1st in their division) - having played 1 or 2 fewer games than most teams in top 8. It's hardly over.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

I know you're not asking me, but it's a **** return. Bjugstad+ or bust.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Link to article

Was my thought exactly. It was just strange to bring Markstrom up for only 2 games when you have 2 healthy goaltenders. George Richards said "it was to spark the team". Seems pretty odd to bring up a rookie goaltender for 2 games (and he lost both of them) to change momentum.

I was thinking perhaps a goalie trade is next? Would be pretty risky for Van to trade a goalie right now as they are the only reason this teams has won games thus far.

A goalie trade may be next, but I think the impetus to the trade won't be losing currently. I think they wanted to see what Markstrom had at this point. They have, and will organize their plans accordingly. If that means a goalie trade, then odds are that it happens in the offseason rather than now. FLA would only negatively impact their draft position by doing it now.

Quote:

Edit: Wait, just checked their point totals, their not out yet! I also agree that it isn't likely to be a mid-season either because A) It will hurt their draft position and B) His value to VAN maybe greater than what FLA could provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
If we get Bjugstad... I'd be so happy if he came here. He's got that toews/kesler side to him and he's a giant.

Would you be OK dealing Luongo for him?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

For Luongo that's a disgusting return. Let's get something back of good value shall we?

02-26-2013, 09:01 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not high on Matthias, at all. He's played sheltered mins, poor underlying #'s, played weaker mins than Lappy. I don't think he's an upgrade over either Schroed or Lappy. Not worth giving up the safety blanket in net IMO. I do like Petrovic, Nucks are in need of a righty d-man (it's crystal clear now that Juice is hurt).

I still think the main piece coming back has to be a centre, a young quality one.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
For Luongo that's a disgusting return. Let's get something back of good value shall we?

I wasn't asking you Y2K. I already know that if it isn't a King's ransom, you'll say no.

Quote:
I'm not high on Matthias, at all. He's played sheltered mins, poor underlying #'s, played weaker mins than Lappy. I don't think he's an upgrade over either Schroed or Lappy. Not worth giving up the safety blanket in net IMO. I do like Petrovic, Nucks are in need of a righty d-man (it's crystal clear now that Juice is hurt).

I still think the main piece coming back has to be a centre, a young quality one.

Could be that the C is tops on the agenda. Gonna be a _tall_ order to pry one from FLA though... Get it?

What about Shore + Petrovic? Similar to the Kadri + Gardiner proposal we hear a while back.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
You get what other teams are willing to pay. What you want means nothing.

It's too bad you passed on the Goc and a 1st offer. That could come back to haunt the Canucks worse than the Cam Neely trade.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Drew Shore is the guy I was hoping for this summer but I doubt he's available after such a strong start. He would have been a nice consolation prize to Nick Bjugstad.

Petrovic still makes a lot of sense too. Not sure how his season for the Rampage has gone this year though.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:11 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
I wasn't asking you Y2K. I already know that if it isn't a King's ransom, you'll say no.

Could be that the C is tops on the agenda. Gonna be a _tall_ order to pry one from FLA though... Get it?

What about Shore + Petrovic? Similar to the Kadri + Gardiner proposal we hear a while back.
Lol - something Schroeder can't help us with...

After watching Shore this year, Shore + Petrovic works for me. Really like this kid. He could immediately step into the 3C role and eat tough/defensive mins for AV. Not 'Malhotra' mins, but tougher than Schroeder mins.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I think Shore will be off the table now. He's had a strong start and Tallon has a bigger hard-on for size than Brian Burke.

Petrovic is a more realistic target IMO. Florida has a lot of young, quality dmen.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
After watching Shore this year, Shore + Petrovic works for me. Really like this kid. He could immediately step into the 3C role and eat tough/defensive mins for AV. Not 'Malhotra' mins, but tougher than Schroeder mins.
Agreed. I recall some posters liked Shore + Petrovic + a 2nd in the offseason. Who knows if that's even realistic now?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I think Shore will be off the table now. He's had a strong start and Tallon has a bigger hard-on for size than Brian Burke.

Petrovic is a more realistic target IMO. Florida has a lot of young, quality dmen.

I don't think Shore is off the table. You have to give to get. Bjugstad I can see being a non-starter, but not Shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Agreed. I recall some posters liked Shore + Petrovic + a 2nd in the offseason. Who knows if that's even realistic now?

I in the Eye proposed Shore + 1st + Petrovic in the offseason. The 1st would be harder to pry out of FLA right now than Shore would be IMO. A C would have to come back, in some form. The first and Dman less so.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
I don't think Shore is off the table. You have to give to get. Bjugstad I can see being a non-starter, but not Shore.

I in the Eye proposed Shore + 1st + Petrovic in the offseason. The 1st would be harder to pry out of FLA right now than Shore would be IMO. A C would have to come back, in some form. The first and Dman less so.
It would definitely have to be a center coming back. So if not Bjugstad, then you move to Shore and ask for something else to compensate. Of course, this depends how much difference in value the Panthers perceive there is now between the two, after the start he's had. Could be that Shore has moved a lot closer to being nearly as valuable. But those savvy with advanced stats will know if this is just luck or he's actually that good.

I'm surprised Tallon's being so candid about his goaltending, to be honest. It's not the sort of thing you'd expect him to say if you're looking to obtain a goalie and still contend this season. From the same article:
Quote:
We need [Markstrom] to come up and play like hes capable of playing and Im very confident that he can do that. The competition will maybe force some guys to pick up their games a little bit.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

I wouldn't say I'm asking for a King's ransom...I'm asking for good value for a top 5 goalie. You seem to be content with selling him off for garbage or spare parts.

Petrovic is not comparable to Jake Gardiner If we are trading with Florida in the offseason there better be one of Bjugstad, Huberdeau or Gudbranson coming back to us. And if we aren't getting Huberdeau or Gudbranson then a 1st round pick better be involved.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm asking for a King's ransom...I'm asking for good value for a top 5 goalie. You seem to be content with selling him off for garbage or spare parts.

Nah, you're asking for a king's ransom and everyone knows it.

Quote:
Petrovic is not comparable to Jake Gardiner If we are trading with Florida in the offseason there better be one of Bjugstad, Huberdeau or Gudbranson coming back to us. And if we aren't getting Huberdeau or Gudbranson then a 1st round pick better be involved.

Yeah... youre not asking for a lot. Clearly.

No one said Petrovic is comparable to Gardiner. Re-read what I said.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Nah, you're asking for a king's ransom and everyone knows it.

Yeah... youre not asking for a lot. Clearly.

No one said Petrovic is comparable to Gardiner. Re-read what I said.
You can think I am all you want, but it's fair value for a top 5 goalie. If Gillis were willing to trade Luongo for spare parts like you're suggesting then the deal would have been done long ago.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
You can think I am all you want, but it's fair value for a top 5 goalie. If Gillis were willing to trade Luongo for spare parts like you're suggesting then the deal would have been done long ago.

Has anyone ever agreed with you that your proposals represent fair value? Usually they are seen as the outliers. The extreme to counter the extreme on the other side.

When you start demanding Huberdeau, Gudbranson or Bjugstad, you have to expect people to call your assessment into question. Especially to a team that isn't good right now.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Has anyone ever agreed with you that your proposals represent fair value? Usually they are seen as the outliers. The extreme to counter the extreme on the other side.

When you start demanding Huberdeau, Gudbranson or Bjugstad, you have to expect people to call your assessment into question. Especially to a team that isn't good right now.
Nope. I just haven't given in to the HF Trade and Rumours board pressure and agreed that Luongo's value is lower than it actually is. And it seems to me like Gillis sees it my way as evidenced by no deal being completed yet and by media reports that his asking price is very high.

Closed Thread