HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Aka "The Salesman"

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 06:30 PM
K2B
angel morgan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So what would Florida pay to get Schneider?
Why would they be interested in Schneider? It's quite obvious it's Luongo or bust for them. There's no way the Panthers pay a premium for Schneider when they have Markstrom in the system.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Why would they be interested in Schneider? It's quite obvious it's Luongo or bust for them. There's no way the Panthers pay a premium for Schneider when they have Markstrom in the system.
Yep. Luongo can be a mentor to Markstrom and won't be in the way of him taking over eventually. Plus he will sell jerseys.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
No idea. I still can't believe Luongos not on their team right now. Horrific goaltending - on display tonight again - a few games against divisional opponents right now and still no Luongo. Tallon must be drinking.
Tallon doesn't want to pay and it's going to cost him this season, if it hasn't already.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:55 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Tallon doesn't want to pay and it's going to cost him this season, if it hasn't already.
Yap, either he can't afford to or is unwilling to. Pretty crazy they're willing to tank another year.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
No idea. I still can't believe Luongos not on their team right now. Horrific goaltending - on display tonight again - a few games against divisional opponents right now and still no Luongo. Tallon must be drinking.
Either one of FLA or TBL. Still think those two would be the best fit.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Tiranis

What's crazy is that Yzerman doesn't want to pay. He has the assets and there's no way they can find room for all those prospects they have.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Either one of FLA or TBL. Still think those two would be the best fit.
It's unbelievable that there are teams such as Fla and TBL with god awful goaltending - yet a goalie like Luongo just sits on the market. Their GM's are clearly not smart IMO. Yzermans the worst. His team is really good, scoring tons of goals - but can't keep them out of their net for the 2nd straight year. Yet Gillis gets blasted for holding onto both goalies - what about the other GMs who are stupid enough not to make a move. It's unreal.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What's crazy is that Yzerman doesn't want to pay. He has the assets and there's no way they can find room for all those prospects they have.

Which of TBay's prospects do you project to have an NHL upside. I count 5 total.

Connolly, Namestnikov, Koekkoek, Barberio and Vasilevsky. Maybe a few others too.

Do you think they are overstocked with prospects?

Old
03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Which of TBay's prospects do you project to have an NHL upside. I count 5 total.

Connolly, Namestnikov, Koekkoek, Barberio and Vasilevsky. Maybe a few others too.

Look at their roster. There's not a ton of room for these guys to come up. They're stacked at F, they could use some D and G.

Keep in mind their farm team is producing prospects at an insane rate. Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Richard Panik have all come out of nowhere to an extent. Another reason I want Cooper — that guy is turning nothing players into legitimate prospects.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
It's unbelievable that there are teams such as Fla and TBL with god awful goaltending - yet a goalie like Luongo just sits on the market. Their GM's are clearly not smart IMO. Yzermans the worst. His team is really good, scoring tons of goals - but can't keep them out of their net for the 2nd straight year. Yet Gillis gets blasted for holding onto both goalies - what about the other GMs who are stupid enough not to make a move. It's unreal.

All comes down to cost. No one knows what Gillis is asking for, nor what the others are willing to pay.

For either FLA or TBay, if they want to all but assure is mid-pack should it be dealt, have to deal for Luongo now. This is nearing the half way point of the season. The chance to improve to the point where their pick is outside of the danger zone won't be there for too long. Time is of the essence.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Look at their roster. There's not a ton of room for these guys to come up. They're stacked at F, they could use some D and G.

Keep in mind their farm team is producing prospects at an insane rate. Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Richard Panik have all come out of nowhere to an extent. Another reason I want Cooper that guy is turning nothing players into legitimate prospects.

I count 6 legit top6 forwards, with Malone being the closest one out the door.

On the prospects on the farm: Do you think the play of Panik et. al. will be long-lived, or are we seeing a burst that will eventually wane as they get used to the NHL, and the NHL used to them?

Old
03-02-2013, 08:50 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
All comes down to cost. No one knows what Gillis is asking for, nor what the others are willing to pay.

For either FLA or TBay, if they want to all but assure is mid-pack should it be dealt, have to deal for Luongo now. This is nearing the half way point of the season. The chance to improve to the point where their pick is outside of the danger zone won't be there for too long. Time is of the essence.

Is it cost? Or is it ignorance on part of their GMs? Yzerman brings in a rookie goalie after a season of letting in the most goals last yr. How's that working out Yzerman? Their 26th in league with most goals against this yr after beefing up their back end. Fla is worst in the league with most goals against - yet 9 months ago they got a sit down with Luongo and his agent. They've both wasted half a season to figure out what everyone else knew all along. I think it's ignorance. Maybe a bit of both.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I count 6 legit top6 forwards, with Malone being the closest one out the door.

On the prospects on the farm: Do you think the play of Panik et. al. will be long-lived, or are we seeing a burst that will eventually wane as they get used to the NHL, and the NHL used to them?
Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Purcell, Pouliot, and Conacher are clearly Top 6 guys right now. Then you have Malone and Killorn on the outside of that. I'm not saying there's no room, but they have like 4 Top 6 prospects and clearly they won't have room for all of them.

They could give up Connolly and not even notice it, IMO. If I were in charge, to me it's worth giving up Connolly + picks to improve a huge weakness. Plus I would keep in mind that St. Louis won't be around forever.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Is it cost? Or is it ignorance on part of their GMs? Yzerman brings in a rookie goalie after a season of letting in the most goals last yr. How's that working out Yzerman? Their 26th in league with most goals against this yr after beefing up their back end. Fla is worst in the league with most goals against - yet 9 months ago they got a sit down with Luongo and his agent. They've both wasted half a season to figure out what everyone else knew all along. I think it's ignorance. Maybe a bit of both.

It's both and more. Yzerman comes from the school of thought that one allocates money to the defense before goaltending. Tallon has Markstrom and a very young team. So for him, the choice becomes more about the big picture, instead of pulling in two different directions.

If Tallon is going to do something, he's gotta do it soon.

Quote:
Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Purcell, Pouliot, and Conacher are clearly Top 6 guys right now. Then you have Malone and Killorn on the outside of that. I'm not saying there's no room, but they have like 4 Top 6 prospects and clearly they won't have room for all of them.

They could give up Connolly and not even notice it, IMO. If I were in charge, to me it's worth giving up Connolly + picks to improve a huge weakness. Plus I would keep in mind that St. Louis won't be around forever.

I don't count Pouliot as top6 due to sample size. Sub Malone in for him. Same for Killorn. On average, they have 6 top6ers I would say. Malone and Conacher being the more lower end of that group. Likewise, they have two guys to step into those roles in Connolly and Namestnikov. Not to mention St. Louis eventually retiring. As a GM, that's the way I would see it long-term.

You are right though that St.Louis won't be around forever. However, long-term, the continued success of the team is more important. IMO, that's why Yzerman made a middling move for goaltending. He doesn't set his clock by St.Louis. He's thinking longer into the future.

That said, they could do it from an asset standpoint right now, and just focus on forwards in the draft to make up the difference. I can see both sides of it.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I don't count Pouliot as top6 due to sample size. Sub Malone in for him. Same for Killorn. On average, they have 6 top6ers I would say. Malone and Conacher being the more lower end of that group. Likewise, they have two guys to step into those roles in Connolly and Namestnikov. Not to mention St. Louis eventually retiring. As a GM, that's the way I would see it long-term.

You are right though that St.Louis won't be around forever. However, long-term, the continued success of the team is more important. IMO, that's why Yzerman made a middling move for goaltending. He doesn't set his clock by St.Louis. He's thinking longer into the future.

That said, they could do it from an asset standpoint right now, and just focus on forwards in the draft to make up the difference. I can see both sides of it.
Yeah, but what's the ultimate goal? To win a Stanely Cup or to be a mediocre team? They could win a Cup by adding Luongo and they would still have enough future left to build with. At this pace he won't get too see the long-term thing he's building because he'll get fired before then.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Yeah, but what's the ultimate goal? To win a Stanely Cup or to be a mediocre team? They could win a Cup by adding Luongo and they would still have enough future left to build with. At this pace he won't get too see the long-term thing he's building because he'll get fired before then.

I don't think he'll get fired anytime soon. But point taken.

Some of these GMs are going to have to re-think their plans here soon.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:38 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
I think it's a little bit of denial on his part - unwillingness to admit that it's an area of weakness - and just being cheap on goaltending in general, seeing where he learned his managerial skills from.

If FLA don't make a move this season I could understand as they're close to being out of it, but Tampa has no excuse. They spent all that money on defense and yet it still hasn't paid off...

Old
03-03-2013, 04:17 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
It's both and more. Yzerman comes from the school of thought that one allocates money to the defense before goaltending. Tallon has Markstrom and a very young team. So for him, the choice becomes more about the big picture, instead of pulling in two different directions.

If Tallon is going to do something, he's gotta do it soon.

You guys are forgetting kucherov.

Also it's not just st louis' clock ticking...vinnie, half their D, malone. That is not a young team and it's foolish to waste contender worthy teams. Lou is a perfect fit for them.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:23 AM
SunshineRays

Interesting comments from Mike Gillis on After Hours HNIC:

Scott Oake regarding a Luongo trade: "Were you close to a deal?"

Gillis: "Yea, we were. In a salary cap world it's contingent on lots of things, often times you may have to take a player you don't really want to take and that could be a deal breaker".

Old
03-03-2013, 04:27 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Interesting comments from Mike Gillis on After Hours HNIC:

Scott Oake regarding a Luongo trade: "Were you close to a deal?"

Gillis: "Yea, we were. In a salary cap world it's contingent on lots of things, often times you may have to take a player you don't really want to take and that could be a deal breaker".

If a salary dump is all that stands in the way of getting the right deal overall, I think Gillis may be too idealistic here. Take the player and buy him out. When you have a lot of money backing you, use your advantage. You may not get another chance at a deal as good.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:37 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
If a salary dump is all that stands in the way of getting the right deal overall, I think Gillis may be too idealistic here. Take the player and buy him out. When you have a lot of money backing you, use your advantage. You may not get another chance at a deal as good.
Maybe there were cap concerns

Old
03-03-2013, 04:40 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:

I agree, although I'm not sure of the buyout specifications. Not sure if you can buyout a player now, or have to wait till summer. Bit murky considering the Gomex/Redden situations.

Also wondering if they're reluctant to take $$ back cause they might have to buy out Ballard this summer. He was a healthy scratch again tonight, Farhan Lalji said:

@FarhanLaljiTSN
Quote:
If they could have moved that contract they would have by now RT @kuvind: Bally should ask for trade.Didn't deserve to be scratched.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:51 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^ Sounds more like speculation by Lalji than anything to me.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:57 AM
ginner classic

Quote:

Kucherov.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:00 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ Sounds more like speculation by Lalji than anything to me.
Maybe, but Botchford has said the same thing in the past.

Closed Thread