HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Aka "The Salesman"

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
OMG, I love this guy. Gold.

Edit: Also, guess this didn't work out, what's next?

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Quote:
Panthers reassigned Jacob Markstrom to San Antonio (AHL)

Last edited by SunshineRays: 02-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
OMG, I love this guy. Gold.
That might be his funniest comment to date, no joke.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Edit: Also, guess this didn't work out, what's next?

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
He played well in both his games, actually. I'm not sure what that was all about. Maybe just getting him some experience for doing well on the farm?

Old
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He played well in both his games, actually. I'm not sure what that was all about. Maybe just getting him some experience for doing well on the farm?
He was OK, not great IMO. Of course, he's a rookie so it's to be expected. Neither Clemmenson or Theodore were injured, Panthers reporter said he was brought up in hopes he could help bring their GAA down.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
SunshineRays

Nice comments from Shane Doan about Luongo: Link

Quote:
TWITTER TIME: Canuck netminder Roberto Luongo, who allowed all eight Detroit goals Sunday, was again poking fun at himself Monday on twitter @strombone1. He wrote: “I apologize to all the people who had to replace their Budweiser Red Light bulbs after yesterday's debacle. #LUON8O."

While twitter has brought Luongo some new fans, Shane Doan has always been a fan.

“I've got to know Louie, I've played with Louie and I can't say enough great things about the guy,” commented the Coyote captain. “He's just one of those guys who you enjoy having on your team and you can build around. If I'm a Canucks fan, I'm ecstatic I still have Roberto Luongo here.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:31 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
HAHAHAH! Love it

Although I'd prefer Ro8erto better

Old
02-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Unagi

Ducks fan here in peace, but curious about Luongo.

Safe bet you guys keep him until summer. But what happens then assuming nobody wants to trade for him (please don't tell me someone will, I'm just speaking hypothetically)? Do you guys keep him and try to trade Schneider or do you just buy him out?

Has your GM made any indication on what he would do in that sort of situation? Because I can't see the Canucks dressing 2 Elite goalies for another year, especially with the cap going down.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:17 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post

Safe bet you guys keep him until summer. But what happens then assuming nobody wants to trade for him (please don't tell me someone will, I'm just speaking hypothetically)? Do you guys keep him and try to trade Schneider or do you just buy him out?

Has your GM made any indication on what he would do in that sort of situation? Because I can't see the Canucks dressing 2 Elite goalies for another year, especially with the cap going down.
Every indication he's given is that there is legitimate interest in Luongo around the league. He was asked once if he's given any thought to buying him out and responded that the notion was absurd.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

I still think they will trade him and not Schneider. Might go at the deadline if there is a team that needs him and willing to meet Gillis' price.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I still think they will trade him and not Schneider. Might go at the deadline if there is a team that needs him and willing to meet Gillis' price.

Trade one of the goalies (and add one of the so called -left handed - top 4 D to the package) to get a right handed top pair D-man. Tyler Myers or PK Subban would sure look good. These teams do not need goaltending (Buffalo might?) so Gillis would need to involve a third team.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Trade one of the goalies (and add one of the so called -left handed - top 4 D to the package) to get a right handed top pair D-man. Tyler Myers or PK Subban would sure look good. These teams do not need goaltending (Buffalo might?) so Gillis would need to involve a third team.
You'd be prepared to have Myers be your highest paid defensman?

Not me.

PK, sure, not Myers. He has regressed big time since his draft year.

Carlson in Washington is a nice target too.

I just see Gillis having to try and acquire a guy with that big upside who isn't established.

Won't name names, because prospects are valued more than the players they project to be on this board.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Not me.

PK, sure, not Myers. He has regressed big time since his draft year.

Carlson in Washington is a nice target too.

I just see Gillis having to try and acquire a guy with that big upside who isn't established.

Won't name names, because prospects are valued more than the players they project to be on this board.
It is too bad Washington is stubborn in their need for a real goalie. Luongo + Ballard for Carlson and one of their goalies would be a good deal

Old
02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
It is too bad Washington is stubborn in their need for a real goalie. Luongo + Ballard for Carlson and one of their goalies would be a good deal
I don't think we can afford such an expensive defence next year. Upgrading one of our tweener forwards still makes the most sense.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
I don't think we can afford such an expensive defence next year. Upgrading one of our tweener forwards still makes the most sense.
Exactly. Like it or not, our top 4 is pretty much set with Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all being highly paid with NTC's. What we need to do now is improve our forwards and hope our defense works through its kinks.

02-26-2013, 11:24 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:

they cannot keep both with the cap going down, so its a near-certainty a goalie will be moved before next season.
Gillis has stated the idea of buying him out is absurd, so I would put that fairly low on the list of likely occurences...

my guesses, in order of liklihood --
- luongo traded for good deal
- luongo traded for ok deal
- schneider traded for good deal
- luongo traded for scraps
- schneider traded for ok deal
- luongo bought out
- both goalies kept
- schneider bought out
- both goalies converted to forward, play on Kesler's wings

Old
02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
they cannot keep both with the cap going down, so its a near-certainty a goalie will be moved before next season.
Gillis has stated the idea of buying him out is absurd, so I would put that fairly low on the list of likely occurences...

my guesses, in order of liklihood --
- luongo traded for good deal
- luongo traded for ok deal
- schneider traded for good deal
- luongo traded for scraps
- schneider traded for ok deal
- luongo bought out
- both goalies kept
- schneider bought out
- both goalies converted to forward, play on Kesler's wings

We wouldn't lose much scoring in this case, I say win win.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
We wouldn't lose much scoring in this case, I say win win.
No way, convert them to D, they both shoot right.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:18 PM
DieselBoy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
HAHAHAH! Love it

Although I'd prefer Ro8erto better
One of his followers used LuOCHO, which was much more clever imo.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
So much for that guy guaranteeing Luongo would be gone by today

Old
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
racerjoe

Quote:

I will play, assuming the absolute worse, that no team would trade a 7th round draft pick for him (that alone is laughable), he would just be waived and someone would for sure take him. Cbj fla, he'll TO all teams that would. Really we could probably name more teams that would take home on waivers then naming teams that mike Silinger played for.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Alflives

Quote:

Are you suggesting GMMG is targeting that type of young player in return for a goalie?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Exactly. Like it or not, our top 4 is pretty much set with Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all being highly paid with NTC's. What we need to do now is improve our forwards and hope our defense works through its kinks.
I agree that the Canuck's D core has issues. They don't really have a top pairing player. That's the biggest problem. It's too bad all those players have NTC's. That D is not good enough to win a cup, unless they can acquire a young, inexpensive top pair guy, who plays beyond his years.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Are you suggesting GMMG is targeting that type of young player in return for a goalie?
I think it is clear that Gillis has specific pieces in mind. Whether they are established NHLers already or not I don't know.

I can't imagine Gillis taking on a struggling player like Myers, who is already paid handsomely. He'd be our 3rd highest paid player behind the Sedin's (that just isn't his style IMO).

Old
02-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Alflives

Quote:
I think it is clear that Gillis has specific pieces in mind. Whether they are established NHLers already or not I don't know.

I can't imagine Gillis taking on a struggling player like Myers, who is already paid handsomely. He'd be our 3rd highest paid player behind the Sedin's (that just isn't his style IMO).
It what you say is the case, then which young D are potentially in GMMG's cross-hair?

I know you mentioned John Carlson as one. The way Subban is playing in Montreal, it would take Edler + + to get him, and even then Montreal would just laugh. So, who else is out there?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:

If their hand was forced then they would lower their asking price and make the deal. The current situation is that teams are interested but not at the price that Gillis is asking. We're taking a gamble right now that the goalie market will become stronger and not weaker between now and when we are forced to do something.

Closed Thread