HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread XV: Too Deep For You

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 10:50 PM
  #851
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I love Physics and Chemistry. Math, while mostly useless, can serve some purpose.
Never in my life will I need the things I'm learning in English
Want to trade? I'll do the english work and you can get in on the physics. I love all sciences, except physics.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
  #852
Kreider
My name is Nils
 
Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Again, they're not mutually exclusive. Every author is presenting his or her audience with a thesis. They can be quite thought-provoking and it's really gratifying when you're able to understand what the author is trying to convey and even more exciting when you agree with the premise.
There are some great things I've studied.
Animal Farm was absolutely amazing.

But a lot of these theses are better presented to me straight up, without a whole book to get through.

__________________
Kreider is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
  #853
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Pizza Hut is adjoined with a TCBY, so I'm not sure it's the ice cream that's holding me back.
You miserable son of a *****.

__________________
Into the flood again; Same old trip it was back then.
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
  #854
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor
 
NYR2047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 50







Doing that on my phone took so long to do

NYR2047 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
  #855
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 400
I enjoy learning about physics. I just can't apply what I've learned to paper.

Alphaphaget is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
  #856
NYGRYK21
American Ambassador
 
NYGRYK21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
Whoopsie daisies

NYGRYK21 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
  #857
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 26,133
vCash: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I love Physics and Chemistry. Math, while mostly useless, can serve some purpose.
Never in my life will I need the things I'm learning in English
Math is absolutely not "mostly useless." If anything's useless, it's English. Just teach people how to speak English and that's it. I don't know why you need someone to write a paper about some **** they don't want to talk about. Especially if it has a specified length the paper has to be. Since I don't like to drag things out, I can get to whatever point I want to make in two pages. I don't see why papers have to be over 5 pages or whatever. Just let me write until I prove my point.

There's nothing I hate more than English. I like doing work involving facts, which use formulas and whatnot. English is absolutely the worst.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
  #858
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,305
vCash: 500
Man its so frustrating when the Rangers lose because I feel like I've wasted 3 hours of my life and I have an exam on Thursday.

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
  #859
Kreider
My name is Nils
 
Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Want to trade? I'll do the english work and you can get in on the physics. I love all sciences, except physics.
you said you're doing vectors and crap. that stuff I found kind of hard to do as well. Either you get it or you don't. Once you get into memorizing 50 formulas, it's actually quiet easy

Kreider is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
  #860
Kreider
My name is Nils
 
Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Math is absolutely not "mostly useless." If anything's useless, it's English. Just teach people how to speak English and that's it. I don't know why you need someone to write a paper about some **** they don't want to talk about. Especially if it has a specified length the paper has to be. Since I don't like to drag things out, I can get to whatever point I want to make in two pages. I don't see why papers have to be over 5 pages or whatever. Just let me write until I prove my point.

There's nothing I hate more than English. I like doing work involving facts, which use formulas and whatnot. English is absolutely the worst.
I agree with you 100% (OH, AND **** ANYONE THAT SAYS 1000%. percent is pour cent, meaning per 100)

I feel like I already know the useful parts of math. Now I'm learning that y=asin(bx+c)+d, and I can guarantee I will never use that outside of school

Kreider is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
  #861
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Math is absolutely not "mostly useless." If anything's useless, it's English. Just teach people how to speak English and that's it. I don't know why you need someone to write a paper about some **** they don't want to talk about. Especially if it has a specified length the paper has to be. Since I don't like to drag things out, I can get to whatever point I want to make in two pages. I don't see why papers have to be over 5 pages or whatever. Just let me write until I prove my point.

There's nothing I hate more than English. I like doing work involving facts, which use formulas and whatnot. English is absolutely the worst.
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
  #862
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
There are some great things I've studied.
Animal Farm was absolutely amazing.

But a lot of these theses are better presented to me straight up, without a whole book to get through.
Presenting you with the concept straight-up takes away the analytic nature of a good novel or poem. Analytical skills are incredibly important, especially in problem solving on an everyday basis. Just utilizing that ability to think about something more in depth is really helpful.

In life, you aren't going to be presented with the answer to a question straight-up. You're going to have to make inferences...you want to make the best ones you possibly can.

Alphaphaget is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
  #863
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Again, they're not mutually exclusive. Every author is presenting his or her audience with a thesis. Poems and novels can be quite thought-provoking and it's really gratifying when you're able to understand what the author is trying to convey and even more exciting when you agree with the premise.
Personally, I'll read a novel if it interesting me.

When teachers force us to analyze ever nook and cranny of a piece of literature, especially if it's something one is not intrinsically interested in, then it just becomes a chore.

Questions about, say, science and general meanings of life are more intrinsically interesting to me, while analyzing a book seems to be mainly a waste of time.

__________________
Jabroni is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:58 PM
  #864
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.
This, too. Might be even more important than the practical uses.

Alphaphaget is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:58 PM
  #865
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.
I like questioning as well, but in the form of philosophy, not literature/English. (I know, SFW, they're not mutually exclusive )

Jabroni is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  #866
Kreider
My name is Nils
 
Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Presenting you with the concept straight-up takes away the analytic nature of a good novel or poem. Analytical skills are incredibly important, especially in problem solving on an everyday basis. Just utilizing that ability to think about something more in depth is really helpful.

In life, you aren't going to be presented with the answer to a question straight-up. You're going to have to make inferences...you want to make the best ones you possibly can.
I understand analyzing in real life. It makes sense to me.

The fact that the curtains are blue because the character misses his home in nature doesn't.

Kreider is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
  #867
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I like questioning as well, but in the form of philosophy, not literature/English. (I know, SFW, they're not mutually exclusive )
They're not mutua...oh, okay.

Alphaphaget is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:01 PM
  #868
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 26,133
vCash: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.
But I don't see why anyone should need to talk than more than they have to. I think I'm excellent at debating with people. My brother and I argue for fun. Sometimes my argument ends quick and sometimes it takes me long to prove my point. I don't see why I should be told how long an argument should be. If I can prove you wrong in something, why should it matter how long it is?

Kane One is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
  #869
Kreider
My name is Nils
 
Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 50
It's unfortunate what English does to some people (including me)

It takes away their will to read. Students are given these great, great stories to read, that they would usually enjoy. Then they are forced to completely pick them apart and analyze them if they don't want to. It brings this boring, negative connotation to reading, and is also what has pretty much stopped me READING FOR FUN

Kreider is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
  #870
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
But I don't see why anyone should need to talk than more than they have to. I think I'm excellent at debating with people. My brother and I argue for fun. Sometimes my argument ends quick and sometimes it takes me long to prove my point. I don't see why I should be told how long an argument should be. If I can prove you wrong in something, why should it matter how long it is?
Now you're hitting something that I didn't even reference. STOP GETTING AHEAD OF ME

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:04 PM
  #871
Kreider
My name is Nils
 
Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.
Oh, and I've gained this more from history/politics than english

Kreider is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
  #872
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
It's unfortunate what English does to some people (including me)

It takes away their will to read. Students are given these great, great stories to read, that they would usually enjoy. Then they are forced to completely pick them apart and analyze them if they don't want to. It brings this boring, negative connotation to reading, and is also what has pretty much stopped me READING FOR FUN
That falls upon you. Some of us take great joy in picking apart every single line and making connections even based off the punctuation used.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
  #873
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 400
For the record: it shouldn't matter whether or not if you'll utilize the concepts you are taught in school in whatever career path you choose to take. I want to learn because I want to become a more well-rounded individual.

Alphaphaget is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
  #874
Nac Mac Feegle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.
Well said.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
  #875
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
I won't say things you learn are useful as something learned is something earned, but its really to each their own. It's what you make of it.

Bob Richards is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.