HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread XV: Too Deep For You

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I love Physics and Chemistry. Math, while mostly useless, can serve some purpose.
Never in my life will I need the things I'm learning in English
Want to trade? I'll do the english work and you can get in on the physics. I love all sciences, except physics.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Again, they're not mutually exclusive. Every author is presenting his or her audience with a thesis. They can be quite thought-provoking and it's really gratifying when you're able to understand what the author is trying to convey and even more exciting when you agree with the premise.
There are some great things I've studied.
Animal Farm was absolutely amazing.

But a lot of these theses are better presented to me straight up, without a whole book to get through.

Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pizza Hut is adjoined with a TCBY, so I'm not sure it's the ice cream that's holding me back.
You miserable son of a *****.

NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

Doing that on my phone took so long to do

Old
Krams
outrageous

I enjoy learning about physics. I just can't apply what I've learned to paper.

Old
Groot
I am Groot.

Whoopsie daisies

Old
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Quote:
I love Physics and Chemistry. Math, while mostly useless, can serve some purpose.
Never in my life will I need the things I'm learning in English
Math is absolutely not "mostly useless." If anything's useless, it's English. Just teach people how to speak English and that's it. I don't know why you need someone to write a paper about some **** they don't want to talk about. Especially if it has a specified length the paper has to be. Since I don't like to drag things out, I can get to whatever point I want to make in two pages. I don't see why papers have to be over 5 pages or whatever. Just let me write until I prove my point.

There's nothing I hate more than English. I like doing work involving facts, which use formulas and whatnot. English is absolutely the worst.

02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Emptyvoid

Man its so frustrating when the Rangers lose because I feel like I've wasted 3 hours of my life and I have an exam on Thursday.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Want to trade? I'll do the english work and you can get in on the physics. I love all sciences, except physics.
you said you're doing vectors and crap. that stuff I found kind of hard to do as well. Either you get it or you don't. Once you get into memorizing 50 formulas, it's actually quiet easy

Old
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Math is absolutely not "mostly useless." If anything's useless, it's English. Just teach people how to speak English and that's it. I don't know why you need someone to write a paper about some **** they don't want to talk about. Especially if it has a specified length the paper has to be. Since I don't like to drag things out, I can get to whatever point I want to make in two pages. I don't see why papers have to be over 5 pages or whatever. Just let me write until I prove my point.

There's nothing I hate more than English. I like doing work involving facts, which use formulas and whatnot. English is absolutely the worst.
I agree with you 100% (OH, AND **** ANYONE THAT SAYS 1000%. percent is pour cent, meaning per 100)

I feel like I already know the useful parts of math. Now I'm learning that y=asin(bx+c)+d, and I can guarantee I will never use that outside of school

Old
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:

Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.

Old
Krams
outrageous

Quote:
There are some great things I've studied.
Animal Farm was absolutely amazing.

But a lot of these theses are better presented to me straight up, without a whole book to get through.
Presenting you with the concept straight-up takes away the analytic nature of a good novel or poem. Analytical skills are incredibly important, especially in problem solving on an everyday basis. Just utilizing that ability to think about something more in depth is really helpful.

In life, you aren't going to be presented with the answer to a question straight-up. You're going to have to make inferences...you want to make the best ones you possibly can.

Old
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Again, they're not mutually exclusive. Every author is presenting his or her audience with a thesis. Poems and novels can be quite thought-provoking and it's really gratifying when you're able to understand what the author is trying to convey and even more exciting when you agree with the premise.
Personally, I'll read a novel if it interesting me.

When teachers force us to analyze ever nook and cranny of a piece of literature, especially if it's something one is not intrinsically interested in, then it just becomes a chore.

Questions about, say, science and general meanings of life are more intrinsically interesting to me, while analyzing a book seems to be mainly a waste of time.

02-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Krams
outrageous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Ah, I disagree greatly, my friend. English has taught me potentially the most important quality one can have in a lifetime. The need to question. To feed my curiosities.
This, too. Might be even more important than the practical uses.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
I like questioning as well, but in the form of philosophy, not literature/English. (I know, SFW, they're not mutually exclusive )

Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Presenting you with the concept straight-up takes away the analytic nature of a good novel or poem. Analytical skills are incredibly important, especially in problem solving on an everyday basis. Just utilizing that ability to think about something more in depth is really helpful.

In life, you aren't going to be presented with the answer to a question straight-up. You're going to have to make inferences...you want to make the best ones you possibly can.
I understand analyzing in real life. It makes sense to me.

The fact that the curtains are blue because the character misses his home in nature doesn't.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Krams
outrageous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I like questioning as well, but in the form of philosophy, not literature/English. (I know, SFW, they're not mutually exclusive )
They're not mutua...oh, okay.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Quote:
But I don't see why anyone should need to talk than more than they have to. I think I'm excellent at debating with people. My brother and I argue for fun. Sometimes my argument ends quick and sometimes it takes me long to prove my point. I don't see why I should be told how long an argument should be. If I can prove you wrong in something, why should it matter how long it is?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

It's unfortunate what English does to some people (including me)

It takes away their will to read. Students are given these great, great stories to read, that they would usually enjoy. Then they are forced to completely pick them apart and analyze them if they don't want to. It brings this boring, negative connotation to reading, and is also what has pretty much stopped me READING FOR FUN

Old
02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
But I don't see why anyone should need to talk than more than they have to. I think I'm excellent at debating with people. My brother and I argue for fun. Sometimes my argument ends quick and sometimes it takes me long to prove my point. I don't see why I should be told how long an argument should be. If I can prove you wrong in something, why should it matter how long it is?
Now you're hitting something that I didn't even reference. STOP GETTING AHEAD OF ME

Old
02-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Oh, and I've gained this more from history/politics than english

Old
02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
It's unfortunate what English does to some people (including me)

It takes away their will to read. Students are given these great, great stories to read, that they would usually enjoy. Then they are forced to completely pick them apart and analyze them if they don't want to. It brings this boring, negative connotation to reading, and is also what has pretty much stopped me READING FOR FUN
That falls upon you. Some of us take great joy in picking apart every single line and making connections even based off the punctuation used.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Krams
outrageous

For the record: it shouldn't matter whether or not if you'll utilize the concepts you are taught in school in whatever career path you choose to take. I want to learn because I want to become a more well-rounded individual.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Well said.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I won't say things you learn are useful as something learned is something earned, but its really to each their own. It's what you make of it.

Closed Thread