HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres at the Trade Deadline

Old
02-23-2013, 04:29 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
Leopold and Gerbe would be traded for the highest price at the deadline; if nobody offers anything for Gerbe, he's waived. Nobody in the organization would be untouchable but there are the obvious few that it would have to be the perfect deal to move them.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Daz28

Can we give Gerbe his shot on the top 6 tonight before we throw him to the wolves? As I said, I think he's marginal, but give the guy a shot. Geez. At this point, you could throw 15 or more players on this team under the bus.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
MayDayMayDay

I'm thinking Darcy sits down and plays fill in the blank.

Armia-Hodgson-Vanek
x-Grigorenko-x
Foligno-Ennis-Ott
x-x-x

Myers-Ehrhoff
x-x
x-x

Free agency, I think you look for a Top 6 power forward (Getzlaf) and a stay at home D man, possibly a stop gap goalie.

Shop Miller for a premium package right on up until the deadline next year, and if you don't get it, flip him for the best package you have, provided of course we aren't competitive again a year from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Armia potential is probably as high as Grigorenko, he just never had the same hype.
Agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffswords View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Pominville go to a contender out west. Maybe for a 1st rd. pick and a good young D.
... And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
Trade Leopold for a 3rdd

Trade Regehr for a 2nd

Trade Gerbe for 6th (or just throw him into another trade)

Trade Pominville for Bernier and a 3rd

Trade Stafford for a couple prospects

Trade Miller in the summer for a package of young guys/prospects
...Aaaand all of this, except for the bolded. I think you do it to the highest bidder at the deadline.

MayDayMayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Takeo

I'd be shopping Pominville to everybody. And negotiating Vanek's extension in the meantime.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Gerbe's a AAAA player, Matt Ellis gives his all every shift too and he's not untouchable. Hell, he's better defensively than Gerbe and only has 3 less goals in 10 less games played over the last 2 seasons. Gerbe has 6 goals in the last 76 games and has the worst GF% on the team this year besides John Scott. He's been on the ice for 3 times as many goals against as goals for. He's simply not good.

So he goes from untouchable to "I'll take a 3rd round pick." Interesting. Personally, I would have waived him before McCormick but there are bigger issues to deal with. Kaleta certainly has a role on this team but he's not untouchable either.
Untouchable to me is it would take a large overpayment to get said player. It seems that gerbe has a low value people peg him between 5-7 round pick. A third is significantly larger and I said I would consider it but at the end I would probably pass. Again its my opinion and if im wrong im wrong.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

I keep Vanek, Grigorenko, Ehrhoff, Ott, Miller and without question, our 2013 #1 pick.

Myers and Pominville would take quite an overpayment.

Everyone else is available for the right price.

I would rather not see Leopold, Gerbe, Enroth, Stafford or Sulzer on next year's team.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:10 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I'd be shopping Pominville to everybody. And negotiating Vanek's extension in the meantime.
Im not so sure I would be negotiating a deal for vanek right now 1st in points 1st in goals 7th in helpers, I would wait till he cools down a bit and then begin, but I agree with you they should at least say hey we want Tom here awhile longer...stay In touch.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Kaleta and Gerbe

My "untouchable" list:
Vanek
Grigorenko
Girgensons
Hodgson
Ennis
I agree that nobody is untouchable, and that is a nice core that I would be unlikely to move.

MacOfNiagara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Time to see if miller can be leveraged for a younger NHL caliber goalie.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Moskau

Ehrhoff is the only untouchable in my mind.

What you trade him for is realistically not going to be worth it. You could spend another 5 years and not find someone who can replace the minutes he eats up. And by the time you have replaced him you have other players ready to move on creating a vicious cycle.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I'd be shopping Pominville to everybody.
Also agree with this. Pominville's value is only going to get worse this season and probably never be this high unless he tears it up next season before the trade deadline.

Vanek I agree and disagree. He will be a hard player to replace if he's replaced at all (could take 5 years) but it's hard to bank on him being healthy when you really need him,

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Endless Ike

Since this turned into a Gerbe thread, I'm going to pipe up and say I really like him, and think he's been wasted playing with lunks like Hecht, McCormick and Ellis this year. He plays hard, is fast, and has underrated vision with the puck.

The team needs more guys like him, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still 5 foot 5. He's not untouchable, but he's also not on my **** list.

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:51 PM
DarcyTheTankEngine
#DraftASam

My untouchables are Vanek, Grigo, Myers (not ready to give up on him yet), Armia, an our 1st

Im ok with trading Pominville and Miller but its definitely not my first choice

If we trade Miller i would love a Miller -Niemi swap, as unlikely as it may be

Leo, Regehr, Gerbe, Staff, Sulzer or Enroth are all on their way out if im darcy

Only trading sekera and/or ennis for a 2 way C who can win draws (doesnt have to neccesarily be ROR)

DarcyTheTankEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
This was not referring to you btw

And ya I want to change my user name btw
To the Sabres' next GM?

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
To the Sabres' next GM?
absolutely not, back to 1972

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Can we give Gerbe his shot on the top 6 tonight before we throw him to the wolves? As I said, I think he's marginal, but give the guy a shot. Geez. At this point, you could throw 15 or more players on this team under the bus.
One game isn't going to change what his talent is, he belongs nowhere near a top 6. We've seen it sporadically over the last couple seasons and he never sticks because he doesn't belong. If you're counting on Gerbe being in a top 6, your team is going down. We're scoring over twice as many goals with Hecht on the ice than with Gerbe on the ice despite Gerbe having a better quality of teammate offensively. That's pretty sickening. If he's a liability despite his hard work and effort, which he is considering the team has up 3 times as many goals with him on the ice as they have scored, what good is he?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
Since this turned into a Gerbe thread, I'm going to pipe up and say I really like him, and think he's been wasted playing with lunks like Hecht, McCormick and Ellis this year. He plays hard, is fast, and has underrated vision with the puck.

The team needs more guys like him, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still 5 foot 5. He's not untouchable, but he's also not on my **** list.
He's been hot garbage this year. That vision is a fraction of what it was, his relentless skating style has slowed down and he's being taken out of the play now more than ever.

I had high hopes for him, but something happened to him, injury or not.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post

Hecht has been far more effective this year than Gerbe has. It's not even close.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't think there has to be a major shift in strategy this summer. I don't think Regier has made moves that are far away from a path of steady improvement, with Leino being the one big question mark. I would hope that Regier simply tries to keep the best players and trade away the ones that aren't going to help enough in favor of upgrades.

Vanek, Hodgson, Pominville, Ennis, Foligno, Ott, Kaleta, Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Miller fill their roles well and at a fair price, and would be difficult to replace (but I prefer Ennis as the 3rd C or at LW). I would try not to trade them.

Stafford, Grigorenko, Leino, Scott, Myers, Sulzer, and Weber can be useful, but either need to prove themselves or start performing according to their contract. They can be traded for the right player and still be replaced (with the possible exception of Myers).

Gerbe, Hecht, McCormick, Regehr, Leopold, Brennan, and Enroth are not worth their contract and never will be, or are disposable due to a lack of talent or hitting their ceiling. They can be traded for whatever draft picks they might fetch without worrying about a replacement.

Work from that framework and try to construct the best roster depending on what becomes available. Obviously ROR is a top trade possibility. I don't think FA has much to offer that Buffalo can also afford. Getzlaf or Perry either won't consider Buffalo or even if they did, it wouldn't be the right time to shell out big money. Same goes for any other impact UFA. Consider a buy-out for Leino if the CBA allows it depending on his injury status.

Overall, I would take the approach of being stingy with the salary cap until solid assesments can be made with Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Pysyk, and McNabb. This probably means no big shopping until 2014 or 2015, and re-signing any of Vanek, Pominville, and Miller only if they agree on a friendly deal. I think those three are all worth keeping talent wise, but cap wise could be a different story depending on how many players pan out while still on ELCs.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I wouldn't bank on bold moves at this point. Leopold and Regehr should be shipped out as expiring guys, but it's hard to say if Darcy would be comfortable shipping out 2 regulars on defense if other guys don't show they're ready (e.g. if McNabb puts things together).

I'm open to the idea of trading a guy like Pominville for the right price. I'd be willing to move Miller in theory but we don't even have out back-up sorted out much less who would take over as #1 now and in the future. Keep Vanek and make absolutely every effort to resign him when the time comes.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I want to see at least 10 guys from the current roster off the team come October 1.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:42 PM
kirby11

I'm thinking Leo and Regehr are moved at the deadline for a couple 2nds and/or 3rds. Pray that some team wants gerbe, if you can't get anything for him, waive him

Untouchable:
Hoff
Armia

The "Would trade in a perfect deal or overpayment" group
Hodgson
Ennis
Sekera
Myers
Grigs

I wouldn't mind seeing them trade at least one of vanek, pominville, or miller before their deals expire.
Also, i'm firmly on the "Drew Stafford, GTFO" bandwagon

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Maybe I'm taking the word "untouchable" too literally. Or maybe the word "untouchable" doesn't really mean exactly what it should mean to some.

Hypotheticals ......

Tampa wants Vanek, Foligno and Grigorenko for Stamkos because he's had a falling out with the Tampa coaching staff and GM.

Colorado wants Sekera, Grigorenko and Gerbe for ROR and a 3rd round draft pick in 2013.

San Jose wants Miller, Stafford and Kaleta for Pavelski and Niemi.

Anaheim wants Myers for Perry.

For some ... All those are untouchables?

Really?

As unlikely as they may be ...Those moves would improve the Buffalo Sabres. Some a little, others a lot.

IMO you build around a generational talent. A top 10 guy of the entire league. No one.... NO ONE on this roster is that. Everyone is "touchable".

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Paradigm

Miller for Markstrom+ if they don't go for Luongo?

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Hecht has been far more effective this year than Gerbe has. It's not even close.
Hecht won't be here next year. Nathan might. That's why you play Nathan over Hecht. It seems you'd be happy if we lose games 5-2 instead of 6-3, yet have the same record, and lose both players w/o even seeing if Gerbe has anything to offer.

Give the kid his shot under Rollie. If he does nothing, then call for his head at the end of the season. Moaning about Gerbe right now does no good.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote