HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long does Nazem Kadri wear #43?

Old
08-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Brzeczyszczykiewicz
He's everywhere!

vCash: 500
How long does Nazem Kadri wear #43?

I remember him saying that the number was given to him by the Leafs management, and he didn't really have a choice. Now that it looks like he might be with the Leafs big club full time, will he finally be able to wear a number he wants, or that looks better than 43?

10 would look good, or 91 as he wore in junior

Brzeczyszczykiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Leafssss

Burke doesn't like big numbers I think. Shame because I like having our own 91, guess we gotta wait till we get Tavares.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Loosie

He wore #13 with the Marlies, but I don't see him wearing the for Leafs without a riot happening. I can see him continueing to wear 43, or yes maybe 91, as far as Burke not liking 'big numbers' look at Grabovski with 84, and Kessel with 81.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
lschenn02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
He wore #13 with the Marlies, but I don't see him wearing the for Leafs without a riot happening. I can see him continueing to wear 43, or yes maybe 91, as far as Burke not liking 'big numbers' look at Grabovski with 84, and Kessel with 81.
Burke originally made grabo change his number to 54.. then when they got kessel, the deal was kessel could wear 81 so grabo was then allowed to return to wearing 84.. but he did wear 54 for a few pre-season games

lschenn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
He'll wear 13 if he wants. No one cares if he wears 13... it is what it is. Sundin's number will be honoured not retired... its not retired for a reason... so players can wear it.

If he makes the team out of camp he'll be allowed to choose his own number.. which will likely be 13 since that what he wore.

As for Grabo and Kessel. Grabo wore 84 with the Leafs before Burke got there. He couldn't take it away from him. Kessel wore 81 in his first 3 years... Burke wasn't going to trade for him and demand that his newly acquired prized 38 goal scorer wear a new jersey #.

Burke just refuses to let his own prospects come up and choose numbers in the 80's and 90's. For established NHL players it is a different story. The numbers in the 30's,40's, 50's, and 60's are given and used as a sign that a player isn't "safe" yet or hasn't "earned" his NHL roster spot.

Keith Aulie will likely be allowed to choose his own number as will Kadri if the two of them make the team. Like Kulemin however, maybe the number sticks.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I was wondering myself, I want to buy a Kadri jersey soon but I don't know if I should wait in lieu of him changing to another number. I'd rather not dish out around 200 bucks and have him change his number shortly after. I don't see him holding onto #43, he will probably change it once the opportunity arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
He'll wear 13 if he wants. No one cares if he wears 13... it is what it is. Sundin's number will be honoured not retired... its not retired for a reason... so players can wear it.

If he makes the team out of camp he'll be allowed to choose his own number.. which will likely be 13 since that what he wore.

As for Grabo and Kessel. Grabo wore 84 with the Leafs before Burke got there. He couldn't take it away from him. Kessel wore 81 in his first 3 years... Burke wasn't going to trade for him and demand that his newly acquired prized 38 goal scorer wear a new jersey #.

Burke just refuses to let his own prospects come up and choose numbers in the 80's and 90's. For established NHL players it is a different story. The numbers in the 30's,40's, 50's, and 60's are given and used as a sign that a player isn't "safe" yet or hasn't "earned" his NHL roster spot.

Keith Aulie will likely be allowed to choose his own number as will Kadri if the two of them make the team. Like Kulemin however, maybe the number sticks.
He won't do that. Kadri knows his place, I doubt he would take the number of the Leafs all-time scoring leader who last played for us only 3 years ago and only retired from hockey a year and a half ago.

And "no one cares" is BS, people will care, Mats is one of the greatest players ever for the Leafs, and one of the greatest ever in the sport of hockey itself. Again, this guy is the franchise leader in scoring, and this is the second oldest franchise, we're reaching almost 100 years, so it's a big deal.

It would look bad on Kadri's part if he did take the number, some 21 year old kid who's only played like 30 games doesn't just take the number of the franchise leading scorer and expect nothing to happen. I don't even think Burke would like it tbh.

Also, in regards to Kulemin, his number in the RSL before coming to North America was #14, however when he got here obviously Stajan had that number, so Kulemin just flipped it, and now even after Stajan's departure he's just kept it. He was around before Burke so he didn't choose 41 because he had to choose a number in that range or whatever.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Kadri won't get a new number at least until his ELC is up.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by exentricity View Post
I remember him saying that the number was given to him by the Leafs management, and he didn't really have a choice. Now that it looks like he might be with the Leafs big club full time, will he finally be able to wear a number he wants, or that looks better than 43?

I've never been able to successfully figure out how the Leafs allow players to choose their numbers coming out of the minors. Back in the Quinn/JFJ days, it seemed to me that you only got to pick your number if you were a special draft pick.

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I was wondering myself, I want to buy a Kadri jersey soon but I don't know if I should wait in lieu of him changing to another number. I'd rather not dish out around 200 bucks and have him change his number shortly after. I don't see him holding onto #43, he will probably change it once the opportunity arises.

He won't do that. Kadri knows his place, I doubt he would take the number of the Leafs all-time scoring leader who last played for us only 3 years ago and only retired from hockey a year and a half ago.

And "no one cares" is BS, people will care, Mats is one of the greatest players ever for the Leafs, and one of the greatest ever in the sport of hockey itself. Again, this guy is the franchise leader in scoring, and this is the second oldest franchise, we're reaching almost 100 years, so it's a big deal.

It would look bad on Kadri's part if he did take the number, some 21 year old kid who's only played like 30 games doesn't just take the number of the franchise leading scorer and expect nothing to happen. I don't even think Burke would like it tbh.

Also, in regards to Kulemin, his number in the RSL before coming to North America was #14, however when he got here obviously Stajan had that number, so Kulemin just flipped it, and now even after Stajan's departure he's just kept it. He was around before Burke so he didn't choose 41 because he had to choose a number in that range or whatever.
I for one as a Leaf fan could care less if Kadri wears #13. Its a number and a number only. It doesn't mean he thinks he's as good as Sundin, or that he will be one day or is the saviour of the franchise.

Did anyone care when Raycroft wore Bower's #1? Kaberle wearing Armstrong's #15? Armstrong wearing Kennedy's #9? White wearing Horton and Clancy's #7?

Its a number and simply that. The Sundin era is over... and well over. He hasn't been a Leaf for 3 seasons and has been retired for 2. And played for another team and wore 13 before us and after us. Kadri wouldn't be making a statement.

How long until someone can wear Sundin's number? 5 years? 10 years? Its silly to protect a number that isn't retired. What happens Kadri is denied wearing 13 and then a 10 year veteran plugger who has worn 13 his whole career comes in and wears it? Cause there's no organizational rule against it, and he isn't stopped by anything or anyone.

Sundin was a great Leaf, and one of the best of all time... but unless the team decides to retire the number (which I can say safely I dont think they are), it deserves to be worn by whoever makes the roster.

Old
08-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by exentricity View Post
Didn't Kadri wear 19 with Kitchener? I thought wearing 91 in London was because he couldn't wear 19, and flipping the numbers is a common move when a preferred number is taken.

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Burke doesn't like big numbers I think. Shame because I like having our own 91, guess we gotta wait till we get Tavares.
It's funny/stupid that he doesn't like big numbers but insists rookies wear goofy numbers before they earn their numbers. Ergo, he likes big numbers.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Jackothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's funny/stupid that he doesn't like big numbers but insists rookies wear goofy numbers before they earn their numbers. Ergo, he likes big numbers.
I think he kind of changed his stance with the whole Kessel and Grabovski ordeal. I remember an interview of him saying something like, "Maybe I'm just old fashioned, liking the lower numbers. If it's important to the players though I don't mind."

Jackothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
81Leafs50

Quote:

RW said in an interview, no one will wear #13.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
81Leafs50

Quote:
I for one as a Leaf fan could care less if Kadri wears #13. Its a number and a number only. It doesn't mean he thinks he's as good as Sundin, or that he will be one day or is the saviour of the franchise.

Did anyone care when Raycroft wore Bower's #1? Kaberle wearing Armstrong's #15? Armstrong wearing Kennedy's #9? White wearing Horton and Clancy's #7?

Its a number and simply that. The Sundin era is over... and well over. He hasn't been a Leaf for 3 seasons and has been retired for 2. And played for another team and wore 13 before us and after us. Kadri wouldn't be making a statement.

How long until someone can wear Sundin's number? 5 years? 10 years? Its silly to protect a number that isn't retired. What happens Kadri is denied wearing 13 and then a 10 year veteran plugger who has worn 13 his whole career comes in and wears it? Cause there's no organizational rule against it, and he isn't stopped by anything or anyone.

Sundin was a great Leaf, and one of the best of all time... but unless the team decides to retire the number (which I can say safely I dont think they are), it deserves to be worn by whoever makes the roster.
When the Leafs "honor" a number its out of respect. So when a player wants to wera it they ask the player or the orginization...out of respect.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
As they shouldn't. I agree that it's not retired so it will be okay - but there should be at least a five-ten year wait first.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I am in agreement although as a few have pointed out there are already Leafs wearing big numbers...Its just a number...who cares? Maybe Leaf brass should focus on putting a winning product on the ice and not care about what numbers their players choose. Since Wayne...hockey numbers have been less than 3 digits and contain no fractions or decimals, those are pretty much the only rules. Let Kadri wear whatever he wants. Why not #99?

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I am in agreement although as a few have pointed out there are already Leafs wearing big numbers...Its just a number...who cares? Maybe Leaf brass should focus on putting a winning product on the ice and not care about what numbers their players choose. Since Wayne...hockey numbers have been less than 3 digits and contain no fractions or decimals, those are pretty much the only rules. Let Kadri wear whatever he wants. Why not #99?
You're right this number thing is taking up way too much of management's time!

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
91 truly is the sexiest number, and I have no idea why.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:52 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfernee Hardaway View Post
You're right this number thing is taking up way too much of management's time!
One millisecond is too much time...why does it matter? The two greatest players of our time and two of the greatest ever wore unconventional numbers 99 and 66...so what?

Last edited by hockeyfanz*: 08-08-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Got 88 mixed up with 66....How can I forget Marios number?
hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Until he retires.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:11 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:

Take a look at the examples you've used, and see when they last played an NHL game. I never said that no one should wear Sundin's #13 again (though if it were up to me I'd probably have it retired, along with a few other numbers), but there should at least be some sort of grace period. At the very least 8-10 years. And like the other poster said, Wilson has already stated no one is going to be wearing that number, and for damn good reason too.

It's great if you don't care, but chances are you're in a small minority.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
not allowed

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
I'd like to see some evidence of that interview.

If that even happened I think its RW talking out of his ***. If Cammalieri or Datsyuk came here tomorrow, I guarantee they would be handed jersey #13 without haste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Take a look at the examples you've used, and see when they last played an NHL game. I never said that no one should wear Sundin's #13 again (though if it were up to me I'd probably have it retired, along with a few other numbers), but there should at least be some sort of grace period. At the very least 8-10 years. And like the other poster said, Wilson has already stated no one is going to be wearing that number, and for damn good reason too.

It's great if you don't care, but chances are you're in a small minority.
It's not that I don't care, I love the respect for our Leaf greats. I just think that the organization should retire numbers if they're not going to allow other players to wear them. The honouring numbers system is designed to honour the player, if I had it my way I think we should not even bother putting their numbers on the banners in the rafters... save it for the retirement of jerseys only.

Its not that I don't agree with you about wearing 13 or any other retired # I just think it demonstrates an inconsistency within the organization's philosophy. Either you retire the number so no one can wear it, or its fair game. There should be no grey area.

Its like saying "Okay no one can wear this number until the majority of the fanbase has forgotten who wore it last... once their mostly forgotten wear it again"

Old
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
One millisecond is too much time...why does it matter? The two greatest players of our time and two of the greatest ever wore unconventional numbers 99 and 88...so what?
lol. did you mean to type 66 instead of 88??

88. that's funny.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:20 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
lol. did you mean to type 66 instead of 88??

88. that's funny.
No love for Eric Lindros or Patrick Kane eh?