HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spring Training Madness the 1st: Canada/USA (WBC) Sunday @ 4pm ET/1pm PT

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Until we need him after 2 months.
Most soccer loans have an emergency recall clause

Old
02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Nullus Reverentia

vCash: 500
Jeff Blair said this morning that it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Arencibia start opening day, catching Dickey, even if that would be his only start with Dickey.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Jeff Blair said this morning that it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Arencibia start opening day, catching Dickey, even if that would be his only start with Dickey.
Lol.

He also mentioned best guess is that Henry Blanco would probably be in the opening day lineup.

In summary: Blair knows nothing and is talking out of his ass

Old
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Anyone think Happ would ask for a trade if/when he's sent to AAA?
Does he have options left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Lol.

He also mentioned best guess is that Henry Blanco would probably be in the opening day lineup.

I'll puke if Blanco makes the team over Thole.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Am I the only one who does not like Jeff Blair?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post

I'll puke if Blanco makes the team over Thole.
Yes he has an option left.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Yes he has an option left.
Fair enough, I was going to get mad if we'd send him down and he'd get taken from us.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Lol.

He guessed Blanco would be in because Blanco is better than Thole and he's not sure if Gibbby will trust Arencibia with Dickey on opening day, he might trust him more if JP Arencibia stays in Dunedin, but he wouldn't be surprised if JPA is catching Dickey because the starting catcher should start on opening day.

He's been down there for awhile and he seems impressed with Arencibia this spring, which is strange because he's not a guy who's been overly fond of Arencibia on the field.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Lol.

I'll bet he does. Thole has options left and Blanco is a better defensive catcher than Thole and can catch Dickey. With Thole in the minors, you have depth at the position too.

If he wasn't going to make the team, I have no idea why the team would give him a major league deal, albeit its a non-guaranteed one but they also had to DFA a player to sign him. In this case, it was Sam Dyson who was serviceable depth and had multiple options left.

Yes, he is a crappy hitting catcher but so what? That's why they are back-ups. Hell, there are plenty starters who can't hit either.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:15 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I'll bet he does. Thole has options left and Blanco is a better defensive catcher than Thole and can catch Dickey. With Thole in the minors, you have depth at the position too.

If he wasn't going to make the team, I have no idea why the team would give him a major league deal, albeit its a non-guaranteed one but they also had to DFA a player to sign him. In this case, it was Sam Dyson who was serviceable depth and had multiple options left.

Yes, he is a crappy hitting catcher but so what? That's why they are back-ups. Hell, there are plenty starters who can't hit either.
I'm with you as well on Blanco. Was just pointing that out to show that Blair (and many others) aren't playing with a full deck, even though they're acting like it, and really don't have much of a clue as to what Gibby is leaning towards.

My take: Unless Thole plays incredibly well, Blanco breaks camp with the Jays and Thole starts in Buffalo Secondly, I think JP catches opening day, as long as he shows he capable. By naming Dickey the defacto opening day starter he's showing that he understands Opening Day is a big honour and wants to give guys that honour.

After that I think Gibby goes back to Blanco/Thole battery with Dickey. If AA and co. actually thought JP was capable of catching Dickey every 5 days then they would have gone out and snagged a top calibre backup on FA rather than go with a trio of guys (blanco/thole/nickeas) that have experience with the knuckler.

EDIT: Also, did anybody notice JPA's HR today was opposite field? Secondly, he's looking a lot trimmer than he has in past years. Not sure if it'll help him block some baseballs... but i guess we'll find out

Last edited by topched: 02-28-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old
02-28-2013, 01:41 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I'm with you as well on Blanco. Was just pointing that out to show that Blair (and many others) aren't playing with a full deck, even though they're acting like it, and really don't have much of a clue as to what Gibby is leaning towards.

My take: Unless Thole plays incredibly well, Blanco breaks camp with the Jays and Thole starts in Buffalo Secondly, I think JP catches opening day, as long as he shows he capable. By naming Dickey the defacto opening day starter he's showing that he understands Opening Day is a big honour and wants to give guys that honour.

After that I think Gibby goes back to Blanco/Thole battery with Dickey. If AA and co. actually thought JP was capable of catching Dickey every 5 days then they would have gone out and snagged a top calibre backup on FA rather than go with a trio of guys (blanco/thole/nickeas) that have experience with the knuckler.

EDIT: Also, did anybody notice JPA's HR today was opposite field? Secondly, he's looking a lot trimmer than he has in past years. Not sure if it'll help him block some baseballs... but i guess we'll find out
If we want him to block balls, shouldn't the Jays fatten him up and park him behind the plate, Roman Chechmanek style?

regarding what the media thinks of the Jays' roster, it's quite funny. Every media outlet seems sure that they know how things will shake down, and every one is different. ESPN seems to think that Bonifacio will take the regular 2B job, and Dickey will be caught by Arencibia. I think the YES network the other day thought that Lincoln will be in the pen at the expense of (I think) Rogers. Nobody has a really good read on exactly what will happen, and anyone who says they do is lying.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
Old
02-28-2013, 03:14 AM
TheKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Fangraphs article on Ricky and the sinker. Featuring evidence provided by stats nerd Brandon Morrow:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...d-not-sinking/
The comment section is more interesting than the article. Ricky's 4 seamer has lost a lot of its rise and his 2 seamer has lost alot of its sink, the two almost melding into one pitch. That combined with Ricky's lost changeup allowed hitters to absolutely obliterate his FB. In fact, the only other starter with a more hittable FB was Ervin Santana.

Seems like it comes down to feel. We have to hope Ricky can rediscover his touch. I swear pitching is magic.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:39 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Considering the usual riffraff you have for a no. 5 starter, I'm pretty comfortable with Romero in that spot.

Especially with a guy like Happ as the other option.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:00 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
He does have options left. But he's been a ML starter for the past 5 years.

So even though he has options he can still ask for a trade.

I don't think he will, but I could see by the trade deadline, if he hasnt been used, saying to AA, if theres something out there, make it happen.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
He does have options left. But he's been a ML starter for the past 5 years.

So even though he has options he can still ask for a trade.

I don't think he will, but I could see by the trade deadline, if he hasnt been used, saying to AA, if theres something out there, make it happen.
Yeah, I would if I were him. He's a good pitcher. He was better than our #5 last year (not that I'd give him that spot, just saying).

Old
02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Colby Rasmus has been scratched from the lineup today. Sore shoulder.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Too much curling

Old
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

it's tank time

Old
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Fangraphs article on Ricky and the sinker. Featuring evidence provided by stats nerd Brandon Morrow:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...d-not-sinking/
Why is Morrow providing this info to Ricky?

Was Walton not looking at this last year? or Walker didn't find so far this spring?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
Why is Morrow providing this info to Ricky?

Was Walton not looking at this last year? or Walker didn't find so far this spring?
Sinker wasn't the only problem and yes, he threw less of them but that's only because he threw way more in 2011. Morrow probably pointed that out in the off-season, before Walker had a chance to see him and we don't know what they said to him.

In general, control/command needs to improve because he wasn't throwing anything for strikes. Needs to get his change-up back to what it was in 2010 and 2011.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Dwight K Schrute

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1175354

some vid of that anthem singer

Old
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
I guess i'm saying Ricky has his best year in 2011 throwing sinkers, has horrible year in 2012 throwing less sinkers...don't you think Walton should pick up on this? Isn't that his job?

I agree that location and walking batters was a BIG issue last year, but if throwing more sinkers gets Ricky more comfortable on the mound, isn't that what you want??

Old
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
I guess i'm saying Ricky has his best year in 2011 throwing sinkers, has horrible year in 2012 throwing less sinkers...don't you think Walton should pick up on this? Isn't that his job?

I agree that location and walking batters was a BIG issue last year, but if throwing more sinkers gets Ricky more comfortable on the mound, isn't that what you want??
Perhaps that is one of the reasons why Bruce Walton is no longer the pitching coach for the Toronto Blue Jays. You also don't know what John Farrell, a former pitching coach himself, had to do with the situation.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

I don't know if anyone knows/posted this but

IF YOU HAVE ROGERS CABLE, JAYS GAME ON CH. 318

Old
02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
I don't know if anyone knows/posted this but

IF YOU HAVE ROGERS CABLE, JAYS GAME ON CH. 318
Yup, the first of the FX Canada games. 318 is SD. 565 is the HD version of the channel.

Closed Thread