MacT's first big press conference, at 11 MST. At this time, when a team calls a press conference so soon after a season is over, they announce a coaching change/management change.
here's a quick thread to guess what the announcement is... and to talk about it.
Assistant Coaches let go? I think Kueger is safe, he will be saved to be the designated scapegoat for next year.
Just talking... most of this was what we already know.
- knows things need to be changed with the players (no kidding) Said 6-8 new players next year. Hopes to fill one Defense slot with Klefblom. talked a lot about effort and the team needs more effort, and more "beef"
- prospect scouting: likes them but would like better later draft choices than what we have, and give some scouts a better voice (interesting)
- Talking with the coach thru this week.
- Goaltending a concern, very weak in that area in terms of depth. A European scout for goalies maybe. Liked Duby, but thinks he can still grow as a goalie.
- Talking about the players. Need "meat and potatoes" type players. Mentioned some players will be "assets" (a few times)
- Whits is moving on (He sounded relieved actually)
- Receptive to moving back in the draft to get help for the team.
- Nothing on Gags yet, but seems to like him on the team and mentioned the locker room was "too much of a circus" in the past (!) Said as a off hand remark when talking about a center that can win faceoffs that gags may be moved to the wing. Mentioned Smyth will be back, no news with Jones. Doesn't sound like Peckham is coming back either. Not answering questions on players, until he talks to them personally.
"Edmonton was a place where players want to come in the 80's"
Slight rewriting of history-- players did not care about taxes--they knew that coming to Edmonton could mean winning a cup. But, there were players here in the 80's who could not get out of Edmonton quick enough for whatever reason
trying to fend off exwife number 2
GO SHARKS GO