HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

End of Season Exit Interviews

Old
04-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
End of Season Exit Interviews

I sense we could use one of these.

A bunch of Oilers are heading overseas on Tuesday to prepare for the World Championships, and it appears garbage bag day has started.

Quotes/Interviews are going to be rolling in...

Ryan Jones
- "I'm not sure there's anyone in the room who wanted the season to go longer than me, having missed the start." - Ryan Jones
- EdmontonOilers: "During those peaks, you could see the hockey team this group can be. It was exciting, but we just couldn't sustain." - Jones cont'd
- "I've been here for four years ... It would be nice to reap the rewards of all the sacrifice and hard work." - Jones, will be a UFA
- Ryan Jones says he'd like to be back. Says if it was audition he was happy with his last 5 games.

Shawn Horcoff
- "This was the hardest year of the last six or seven, because it really felt like we were going to get in (the playoffs)." - Horcoff
- "We have the talent to be a playoff team. Our young guys are becoming vets. It's time to take that next step next year." - Horcoff
- Shawn Horcoff is asked how long the process will take to add the pieces to win: "I hope it's not long. I'm not getting any younger."

Ryan Smyth
- "I would have loved to have chipped in a little bit more. I want to continue to help this team succeed." - Ryan Smyth
- "My speed isn't like Taylor Hall. It never was and it never will be." Ryan Smyth discussing if he still has the wheels to keep up.
- "Holding each other accountable one day to the next goes a long way. That's how you create consistency." - Smyth cont'd

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- "(Shoulder surgery) went really well. Now my focus is rehab and recovery." - RNH, arm in a sling after operation this week
- RNH saying his shoulder surgery went well and it will be a summer full of rehab and recovery. pic.twitter.com/6T3DUiMYBq
- RNH says the #Oilers training staff has built a schedule for him to allow him to build strength in addition to shoulder rehab
- RNH says the surgery "went really well as far as the doctor was concerned". Too early to know timeline. Arm will be in sling for a while.

Ralph Krueger
- Coach Ralph Krueger says the #Oilers experienced "a tremendous amount of growth and a tremendous amount of pain" this season
- Ralph Krueger speaking to the media now..."the last quarter was extremely painful and the finish will not remove that pain."
- "We have a great core of players who want to understand what it takes to win. The new season begins today." - Coach Krueger
- "I really feel excited about the potential of this group. I think there's a lot more here than the standings indicate." - Krueger
- Ralph Krueger says the team needs more "offensive grit" and "physical strength".
- "You need to combine grit with skill." - Coach Krueger, identifying improving 5-on-5 production as the team's top off-season priority
- "He took another step but he's still far away from his full potential, which is exciting." - Coach Krueger on Dubnyk's progression
- "We will be a better team next year and there will be some personnel changes, we all know that." - Krueger on the #Oilers roster
- Ralph Krueger says that the realistic expectation for the team this year was 50-52 points with something special needed to be above that.
- Ralph Krueger planned on a 52 point season.That's what he felt going into the year. Finishing with less than 50 was a disappointment.
- Krueger says he's very disappointed with the final number...knew the team would be in tough for playoffs...but should have been higher.
- A "puck moving, powerplay, left-handed shot defenseman" is on Ralph Krueger's wish list...
- Krueger agrees "the overall mix is going to have to change". Says they were physically muscled out of some important games.
- Coach Krueger says centre Anton Lander (@Landie51) will join the #OKCBarons to participate in their post-season run

Jordan Eberle
- "We're sick of talking about it. We want to show some action. We've showed we can be a good team." - Jordan Eberle

Ryan Whitney
- "I'm hoping to sign on a really good team. I've made enough money and I'm hoping to prove them(Oilers) wrong." Ryan Whitney on being a UFA
- Whitney leaves very frustrated. "I'm not going to name any names, but there were definitely some other guys who could have been scratched."
- Whitney saying his goodbyes, talking about signing with another team, not happy with how it finished here.
- I'll give Whitney tons of credit for coming out to talk to us today...that's more than we're getting from Eric Belanger.

Nail Yakupov
- Yakupov says the past year has been "the toughest of my life" with everything he was a part of (Draft, KHL, World Juniors, Oilers)
- "I think I'm in the top three now." - Yakupov, laughing, asked about his chances at the Calder Trophy, 6 goals in last 3 gms
- "I think I'm in the top 3." Nail's response to his chance of winning the Calder Trophy.
- Nail Yakupov says he believes he did enough to earn a Calder nomination...says he thinks he's definitely in the top 3.

Taylor Hall
- "We learned a lot and played some meaningful games, but in the end we're disappointed we're not in the playoffs." - Taylor Hall
- "I like where my game is at, but I still have a lot to improve on. I want to be part of a winning season next year." - Hall cont'd
- Hall says he, Eberle, J-Schultz and Dubnyk will leave on Tuesday to join Team Canada for the 2013 IIHF World Championship

Ales Hemsky
- Hemsky says he could barely skate but wanted to play through the fracture in his foot. He said it would have been 4-6 weeks. Wanted to play.

Last edited by Soli: 04-28-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I want to kick things when I hear Horcoff excuses. Heres a player that is seldom part of any meaningful contribution waiting for things to get better around him "because I'm not getting any younger".

Jones had the excuse of diminished vision and having difficulty gathering the puck and making any breakout plays with speed due to difficulty seeing and corralling pucks. Impacted his whole game.

Ryan Whitney: (expected quote) "Sorry, I gotta catch a plane"

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:41 PM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 50
Ryan Smyth
- "I would have loved to have chipped in a little bit more. I want to continue to help this team succeed."
- "My speed isn't like Taylor Hall. It never was and it never will be." Ryan Smyth discussing if he still has the wheels to keep up.
- "Holding each other accountable one day to the next goes a long way. That's how you create consistency." - Smyth cont'd

GrandLarseny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Jones and Horcoff's interviews are posted on the Oilers website. More to come. Will update the OP with quotes as they roll in.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandLarseny View Post
Ryan Smyth
- "I would have loved to have chipped in a little bit more. I want to continue to help this team succeed."
Does Smyth actually think he was helping the team succeed?

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:47 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Enjoyed Horc's comments.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
I love Ryan Jones and I think he is a great player but this year he just was not the same as the past years. Probably because of his eye injury. I do not see the Oilers resigning him though

CurrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I'm hoping that all of these guys are gone next season
One can dream!

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Sounds like Smyth wants to stick around.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Does Smyth actually think he was helping the team succeed?
Y'obvviously...

Retire Smyth.

Its getting harder and harder to break your jersey out of the closet where its retired and dancing slowly in the dark with my rarely seen monkey suit.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:04 PM
iCanada

"Well, you know, we wanted to make the playoffs but, the goal at the start of the year was to just play some meaningful games and we achieved that." -Horcoff

Lol. Get this loser out of here.

Last edited by iCanada: 04-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

One would think that if MacT was going to axe Krueger, we'd know before the draft. Hell, before the week is up even.

Krueger is speaking now.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Sounds like Smyth wants to stick around.
He does obviously, but I hope to god the guy retires with some dignity. It'd be awful if he hung 'em up after getting waived or demoted to the AHL. I hope MacT is willing to have some frank discussions with him this off-season.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

A "puck moving, powerplay, left-handed shot defenseman" is on Ralph Krueger's wish list...

Krueger basically saying Mark Streit.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

Krueger basically saying Mark Streit.
Streit would seem to be a fit given his past relationship with Krueger. He would make a good stop-gap for a couple years until Schultz is ready to be a true top pairing guy (and Klefbom comes along). I think something like 2 years, $10M is what it would take to get him to come to Edmonton (and possibly a bit more). I'd be fine with that though - he's old but his contract would expire when it's time to re-up Yakupov.

04-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Oilmoose

It's a scary thought but something tells me Horcoff and Smyth are both here next year.

Oilmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:01 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmoose View Post
It's a scary thought but something tells me Horcoff and Smyth are both here next year.
I can live with Horcoff on the team next year. Not Smyth though.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I want to kick things when I hear Horcoff excuses. Heres a player that is seldom part of any meaningful contribution waiting for things to get better around him "because I'm not getting any younger".

Jones had the excuse of diminished vision and having difficulty gathering the puck and making any breakout plays with speed due to difficulty seeing and corralling pucks. Impacted his whole game.

Ryan Whitney: (expected quote) "Sorry, I gotta catch a plane"
Horcoff also said something about how he's tired of being asked about unmet expectations.

Here's an idea for our esteemed captain: Maybe he should start leading on the ice and producing accordingly.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I can live with Horcoff on the team next year. Not Smyth though.
I'd love to see MacTavish amnesty buy out Horcoff and bring in Weiss as a replacement. Weiss is just as good on faceoffs and likely brings more offensive upside as well. Move Gagner and Hemsky for a defenceman/picks and bring in a winger with size like Bickell or Clarkson and I'd like the balance in our top 6:

Hall-Weiss-Yakupov
Bickell-RNH-Eberle

Ahh, if only it was that easy. If we're going to stick with our young kids though, I think we need to turn Gagner (despite his strong season) and Hemsky into pieces that better compliment our top players.

One guy I'd be willing to overpay on a short-term contract is Eric Nystrom. Everyone saw the impact Prust had on Montreal this season and I think Nystrom can bring a similar impact to a new team. He's a really hard worker, plays the body and can chip in offensively a lot more than a scrub like Brown.

Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Nice to see our captain take credit for Yakupov and throw the young guys under the bus at the same time. Get rid of this loser, fast please.

Smyth....delusional. He really has no clue how bad he is now. Wow.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:15 PM
#ualberta

No MacT interview?

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Lindo

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 1m

"I'm hoping to sign on a really good team. I've made enough money and I'm hoping to prove them(Oilers) wrong." Ryan Whitney on being a UFA

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Damning comments by Whitney.

Old
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
agree with Smyth being delusional and making excuses for himself. if that dude gets a roster spot next year i will be mind blown.

Horcoff's comments are terrible. dude has the game and finesse of a plastic bubble hockey player and hes talking about not getting any younger? and acting like he's entitled to some time in the playoffs for what he brings as an overpaid captain? come on.

all of the vets have to be eliminated ASAP.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Wow, great team guy that Whitney. It sucks that he's been Hall and Eberle's roomate these past two seasons. He's probably filled their heads with all kinds of poison.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote