HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Krueger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
  #376
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Special teams have been much better under Krueger. This you cannot deny. He just can't seem to create a 5v5 system if his life depended on it. Seriously, this man on man crap doesn't work.
The PK is much better. PP is pretty much exactly the same.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:23 PM
  #377
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,492
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I'd still like him as a special teams coach myself. The one bright spot of this year.
Is that a function of his coaching or the players he has available?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
  #378
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
That's a completely new rebuild. The best thing we can hope for is the league to go back to offensive systems or find a coach who can teach our guys to break through the defensive systems.

I personally refuse to wait through another rebuild or watch these guys lose playing a system they were never meant to play.
Nah.

It's just doing the other half of the rebuild. They needed the high end talent, they got that. Now they need the support players, the bottom sixers, the physical 2nd liners. Tamblowe has been sitting on their hands for 2 years now, acquiring low priority 4th liners while the newly acquired high end talent flounders without support.

Doesn't matter what coach you bring in, they aren't going to have the horses to compete nightly yet.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
  #379
Pennertration
Registered User
 
Pennertration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is that a function of his coaching or the players he has available?
I really think it's time to start looking at the GM, ie, firing the GM. How many coaches can we go through? As much as Ruff and Sutter would be capable, if not an improvement on Krueger, I think this above all seasons was the one where Tambo had to show us something more. He had to show us an ability to supplement the talent acquired through the draft. Quite simply, we haven't seen it.

The bottom six needs to be completely revamped and we need to find a top 4 D and a top six power forward. Can Tambo do this in one off-season? I have my doubts. I've given him mulligans because the plan was to suck in previous seasons. But it really wasn't the plan this year - and any improvements this season are moderate at best.

If they don't fire Tambo before the draft, I'll be expecting some pretty big moves from him. Here's hoping he can pull a nice rabbit out of his hat.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
  #380
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is that a function of his coaching or the players he has available?
Who he's putting out there and where he's putting them is the coaching.

You could make the same argument "function of coaching vs. players" for any situation on any team though.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
  #381
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Who he's putting out there and where he's putting them is the coaching.

You could make the same argument "function of coaching vs. players" for any situation on any team though.
This is true. I would think that Ralph is better suited to manage a PP than a whole game plan.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:55 PM
  #382
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
This is true. I would think that Ralph is better suited to manage a PP than a whole game plan.
It seemed like our PP starting jumping leaps and bounds after Krueger became our special teams coach but maybe I'm not remembering correctly or I'm missing something.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
  #383
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
The PK is much better. PP is pretty much exactly the same.
Nope, Ralph Krueger was the special teams coach last season when we finished top 5 as well.

The guy still can't coach 5v5 for **** though.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:37 AM
  #384
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,492
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
I really think it's time to start looking at the GM, ie, firing the GM. How many coaches can we go through? As much as Ruff and Sutter would be capable, if not an improvement on Krueger, I think this above all seasons was the one where Tambo had to show us something more. He had to show us an ability to supplement the talent acquired through the draft. Quite simply, we haven't seen it.

The bottom six needs to be completely revamped and we need to find a top 4 D and a top six power forward. Can Tambo do this in one off-season? I have my doubts. I've given him mulligans because the plan was to suck in previous seasons. But it really wasn't the plan this year - and any improvements this season are moderate at best.

If they don't fire Tambo before the draft, I'll be expecting some pretty big moves from him. Here's hoping he can pull a nice rabbit out of his hat.
Maybe management is following a directive from the owner? Renney and Krueger are sacrificial pawns. An illusion of doing "something" for the fans. They may put on a public face of "we need to compete for a playoff spot now" or whatever they think the fans want to hear, but privately they are executing a five year tank strategy designed to obtain top picks.

Or, does firing Tambellini but leaving Lowe in place really change anything at all?

Was Krueger a real change from Renney? Was Renney a real change from Mactavish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Who he's putting out there and where he's putting them is the coaching.

You could make the same argument "function of coaching vs. players" for any situation on any team though.
Was the pp better because of adding Nugent-Hopkins? Or was it better because Ralph was drawing up plays in practice?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:25 AM
  #385
oilphan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Maybe Tambo will ask Kreuger to put together a written 5 year plan, and then fire him.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:58 AM
  #386
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe management is following a directive from the owner? Renney and Krueger are sacrificial pawns. An illusion of doing "something" for the fans. They may put on a public face of "we need to compete for a playoff spot now" or whatever they think the fans want to hear, but privately they are executing a five year tank strategy designed to obtain top picks.

Or, does firing Tambellini but leaving Lowe in place really change anything at all?

Was Krueger a real change from Renney? Was Renney a real change from Mactavish?



Was the pp better because of adding Nugent-Hopkins? Or was it better because Ralph was drawing up plays in practice?
I have to agree that there are simply too many ?'s that we dont' know the answers to at this time. I was all for firing Renney as he was using the vet's way more than the kids.
Now that the kids are struggling so much, I can see why Renney protected the kids. If anyone is to be fired, it needs to start with Lowe.
I agree that management is still looking for a top pick this year. When they didn't bring in C help and instead used Smyth there, the writing should have been on the wall. The team simply over played for a short stretch and now they have come back to where they should have been all along.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  #387
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,650
vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is that a function of his coaching or the players he has available?
I'd say the PK is due to the system he has, simply because any plug has been able to go on the PK and do well.


If Krueger is on the chopping block then ST has to go. It's really that simple. You can't have as many coaches as he has and continue to place the blame on the coach.

Even if this is a team that would be a stanley cup contender right now with a good coach, it would still be on ST for hiring the wrong coach, again.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:44 AM
  #388
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,569
vCash: 500
I like Krueger as a person and someone the players can lean on for advice but he's not stern enough to be a coach. Reeks of way too much positivity to be successful in this game. Sure, there's the risk players tuning out abrasive coaches but at least those coaches keep their players on their toes.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
  #389
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I like Krueger as a person and someone the players can lean on for advice but he's not stern enough to be a coach. Reeks of way too much positivity to be successful in this game. Sure, there's the risk players tuning out abrasive coaches but at least those coaches keep their players on their toes.
Too much positivity haha? Sorry, this is the way coaching and management in the real world is evolving. There is a HUGE human side to this game. If you try to use "old school" methods players making millions aren't going to respond to you after a while. Take a look at Joe Maddon of the Tampa Bay Rays, he's probably the closest comparable I can think of to Krueger in pro sports. Guys like Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers as well, Brad Stevens of Butler basketball. The day of the dictator and authoritarian is over, these guys are on the cutting edge of player/coach relationships. Even coaches like Hitchock and Darryl Sutter have radically altered their approach since they started coaching to be more empathetic, evolve or get left behind.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:42 PM
  #390
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Unfortunaly our new GM has given Ralph a vote of confidence watching his press conference today it is obvious that MacT does not blame where we are today on Krueger and will not be getting a new coach

So the hope for a new coach sadly comes to an end. Although next hear should be the big year if we do terrible i am sure we will see a coaching change

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:46 PM
  #391
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
The PK is much better. PP is pretty much exactly the same.
Except we never see the Nuge to Eberle cross seam pass that was so successful last year.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:56 PM
  #392
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Except we never see the Nuge to Eberle cross seam pass that was so successful last year.
I think after the 29th time teams started to clue in

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
  #393
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,042
vCash: 500
Why bother seeing that pass when Eberle can't put it in the net.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:19 PM
  #394
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,987
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Nope, Ralph Krueger was the special teams coach last season when we finished top 5 as well.

The guy still can't coach 5v5 for **** though.
Yah but even the PP has looked consistently inconsistent. Some games it seems incredible that they score at all 5v5 or PP. If I was Ralph I wouldn't be patting myself on the back for anything happening on the ice lately. Early on it was all about the lessons supposedly being learned, what do they call it now.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
  #395
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 500
Obviously every single team in the league was watching video on the cross-ice passes and that's the first thing they take away.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:04 PM
  #396
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Was the pp better because of adding Nugent-Hopkins? Or was it better because Ralph was drawing up plays in practice?
Considering RNH's lack of production this year I'm leaning more towards the latter. I'm not meaning this to come off as "snarky", by the way, my brain's just fried from school and I can't think of a better way to say it

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
  #397
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Except we never see the Nuge to Eberle cross seam pass that was so successful last year.
There are a few reasons why that hasn't been successful.


SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
  #398
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
With MacT as GM, I think I want to keep Ralph as head coach. Knowing MacT and the old boys club ********, he will just fire Ralph and promote Bucky...

To say I have zero faith in this organization is an understatement...

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
  #399
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
With MacT as GM, I think I want to keep Ralph as head coach. Knowing MacT and the old boys club ********, he will just fire Ralph and promote Bucky...

To say I have zero faith in this organization is an understatement...
Yeah, i think fans may want to think twice before calling for Krueger's head now a days.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  #400
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 500
I'd like to give Krueger a chance with an improved transition game from the defence, I think it would make a big difference.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.