HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-27-2013, 10:37 AM
armandh01

vCash: 500
The things that bug me the most is that the vets are still not accountable. The radio fools will say "well smyth was benched and Whitney a bunch this year too". Well when you look at it Smyth has been as horrendous as Whitney at times and has only been benched once. Horcoff got 2 penalties the other night, was he benched for a few shifts like Hall was the one time he made some gaffs? Is Smyth?

I dislike Krueger because of the inconsistency when it comes to discipline. However I would NOT blame him for this team refusing to play with passion. That is a GM issue because the players currently don't mix and little was done to fix it. Krueger isn't the reason why more than half this team hasn't shown up to play hockey in 3 years. He may need to work out kinks in his systems and tweak things but he hasn't shown to me yet he is incapable of coaching any worse the 4 others before him. I'd like the assistants to be fired and see what Krueger can do with a full season and new coaching staff, before I turn too illogical.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:20 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
I have a feeling Smyth hasn't been benched because he is about to retire.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I have a feeling Smyth hasn't been benched because he is about to retire.
God I hope you're right.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 12257
I have a feeling Smyth told Ralph he is going to retire so he doesn't get benched.

Then next year, wait for it...........not retiring! Put me on the PP coach. Still lots left in the tank.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
God I hope you're right.
Amen.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:23 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
God I hope you're right.
we *all* hope he's right... for the love of god smyth, have some dignity and retire... you were a great player for a long time, you had a great career and can hold your head high in regards to your professionalism and work-ethic.... really a helluva player for almost 2 decades... but the time has come, there isn't anything left in the tank

i sure hope he realizes this, because as bad as this year was, next year will be far, far worse.... when the wheels come off due to age, it's usually a very fast decline from there.... we saw that last season with smyth

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
The things that bug me the most is that the vets are still not accountable. The radio fools will say "well smyth was benched and Whitney a bunch this year too". Well when you look at it Smyth has been as horrendous as Whitney at times and has only been benched once. Horcoff got 2 penalties the other night, was he benched for a few shifts like Hall was the one time he made some gaffs? Is Smyth?

I dislike Krueger because of the inconsistency when it comes to discipline. However I would NOT blame him for this team refusing to play with passion. That is a GM issue because the players currently don't mix and little was done to fix it. Krueger isn't the reason why more than half this team hasn't shown up to play hockey in 3 years. He may need to work out kinks in his systems and tweak things but he hasn't shown to me yet he is incapable of coaching any worse the 4 others before him. I'd like the assistants to be fired and see what Krueger can do with a full season and new coaching staff, before I turn too illogical.
What you're saying right now I said at the time. The benchings of Whitney and Smyth couldn't be more ineffectual and meaningless. These were nothing moves from a coach and org without the balls to go after some bigger fish to send a message to.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
#ualberta

This is what MacT had to say about coaching today

@dantencer: Craig MacTavish says he has some concerns and some questions for head coach Ralph Krueger...lots of discussion to come it sounds like.

So do you guys think Krueger may be fired if these discussions don't go well. Keep in mind when MacT was hired he said coaching was not the problem. Again today he said we can't keep pointing the finger at the coach. It sounds to me like Krueger will remain HC.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Krueger wont be fired I dont think. Im fine with that. Coaching wasnt the problem.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Soundwave

There is no single "problem" per se, there were multiple ones. One of them being coaching I would say.

He had plenty of talent to work with, yet finished a couple of meaningless points ahead of the Calgary Flames that had Kipper being a no-show for most of year. Bob Hartley in effect out coached him badly IMO.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:04 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

The Oilers have fired plenty of coaches who had fewer problems.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
There is no single "problem" per se, there were multiple ones. One of them being coaching I would say.

He had plenty of talent to work with, yet finished a couple of meaningless points ahead of the Calgary Flames that had Kipper being a no-show for most of year. Bob Hartley in effect out coached him badly IMO.
Plenty of easy to neutralize talent to work with maybe.

It was obvious this team would be easy to play against going into this season, that held up, and the Oilers wilted when the games mattered and teams leaned on them.

That has nothing to do with coaching, motivation, or systems.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:13 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
This is what MacT had to say about coaching today

@dantencer: Craig MacTavish says he has some concerns and some questions for head coach Ralph Krueger...lots of discussion to come it sounds like.

So do you guys think Krueger may be fired if these discussions don't go well. Keep in mind when MacT was hired he said coaching was not the problem. Again today he said we can't keep pointing the finger at the coach. It sounds to me like Krueger will remain HC.
Yeah, I don't see MacT firing Krueger. He'll get a full season at least.

I took it as a good thing when MacT mentioned he had concerns he wanted to bring up with Krueger, and he was sure Krueger would have some for him too.

I think they're both smart guys, and both will say what's on their mind. I don't know that Tambo would have ever had that kind of open, and blunt dialog with any of his coaches.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:14 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

I think there's a good chance that some of the assistants are replaced.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I get that impression as well.

I also think that we may get an "Associate Coach."

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
At the very least we may get another coach added. I would like Bucky moved though he has survived to many coaching changes and I do not really see him as good at anything.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:19 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Plenty of easy to neutralize talent to work with maybe.

It was obvious this team would be easy to play against going into this season, that held up, and the Oilers wilted when the games mattered and teams leaned on them.

That has nothing to do with coaching, motivation, or systems.
The Oilers were easy to play against because Krueger voluntarily threw scrubs like Brown and Petrell over the boards against first and second lines. It's tough to choose between Krueger or Quinn in regards to who mismanaged their bench more.

It's mind boggling that people can look at this season and blame size when every winger and every center declined in the defensive zone. When every single forward on your team gets worse at defensive coverage it might be time to investigate the system.

Last edited by syz: 04-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.
syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The Oilers were easy to play against because Krueger voluntarily threw scrubs like Brown and Petrell over the boards against first and second lines. It's tough to choose between Krueger or Quinn in regards to who mismanaged their bench more.

It's mind boggling that people can look at this season and blame size when every winger and every center declined in the defensive zone. When every single forward on your team gets worse at defensive coverage it might be time to investigate the system.
The team had zero grit. None in the top 6, and 1 player in the bottom 6 on any given night.

Yes, Petrell/Brown are easy to play against because they are poor hockey players, but everyone else in the roster is also easy to muscle right out of games, and we spent most of the year watching it happening - including the golden 5.

It's not all about size, and this team had a terrible mix no matter who was coaching it.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:12 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Smith and Bucky need to be kicked to the curb however I have no belief after the past changing of the head coach that these two will be turfed.

I hope you are correct.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

If the teams struggles early next season I see Krueger gone. I doubt he goes anywhere until then, MacT probably wants to give him a better chance.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Section337

I had a number of questions about how he coached, but, in my mind, he at least deserves a training camp. If nothing changes in the first couple months, then get rid of him.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:08 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
At the very least we may get another coach added. I would like Bucky moved though he has survived to many coaching changes and I do not really see him as good at anything.
:shake head...basis for this??

McTedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
:shake head...basis for this??
And what basis has he exhibited to deserve to remain? What exactly does he do? Whatever it is it has not been beneficial to the growth of this team in the past years.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Krueger wont be fired I dont think. Im fine with that. Coaching wasnt the problem.
Keeping our leading goal scorer stapled to the bench during the last half of games was pure genius.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:23 AM
thinlizzy

With the revolving door coaching Bucky's job was to partially run practices. When Quinn was here, he could barely lace up the skates so KB was the one running what Quinn wanted on the ice practices. I think with Renny he worked a bit with guys that were scratches on the IR after practice. Steve S , the skating coach has now taken that job pretty much. I don't think KB should stay.He has had a good run, time to move forward.

I kind of wish we could have kept Charlie H. Smith needs to go as well.

I would give Kruger until X mas to prove he has what it takes. If the team doesn't show significant improvement then bye , bye.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote