HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-30-2013, 01:17 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
:shake head...basis for this??
He's not even allowed on the bench.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:13 AM
sid49
#FreeGaza

vCash: 500
I think with the right time Krueger might be an effective coach. Hopefully MacT provides it.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I had a number of questions about how he coached, but, in my mind, he at least deserves a training camp. If nothing changes in the first couple months, then get rid of him.
bingo. this wasting of whole seasons is another thing that has got to stop. tambo, essential, used this whole season (albeit, a shortened one) to 'evaluate' the talent. that has to become unacceptable.

give Kruger till Christmas. if he doesn't impress by then, see ya.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
bingo. this wasting of whole seasons is another thing that has got to stop. tambo, essential, used this whole season (albeit, a shortened one) to 'evaluate' the talent. that has to become unacceptable.

give Kruger till Christmas. if he doesn't impress by then, see ya.
The only problem with this is if he doesn't impress by then, very likely it could cost us a playoff spot.

Games in Oct/Nov/December are worth the same as they are in March/April when it all comes down to it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:53 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Keeping our leading goal scorer stapled to the bench during the last half of games was pure genius.
Telling the team to turn the other cheek when out stars wrre getting pushed around by Vancouver was great as well, especially considering the score

This team was no different than when Renney coached them. Poor starts, poor finishes, learning way too many "lessons" but never actually learning from them. He also could have pulled Dubnyk in some games earily where it was obvious he was struggling.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:29 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Telling the team to turn the other cheek when out stars wrre getting pushed around by Vancouver was great as well, especially considering the score.
I can't believe this is team policy. Pretty sure I heard Stauffer saying that everyone knew Brown was looking for something right off the bat against the Wild. And Krueger starts his fourth line to oblige him? I mean come on why start Brown if this is a coach telling his players to turn the other cheek?

Konopka pretty much took Brown apart anyway so its not like the Oilers have an effective answer for a team like Vancouver where half the guys on the ice at any given time are very deserving of being called to account.

Hopefully Brown won't be back. He's tough and skates real fast I'll give him that, but he's too small and too bad at the fundamentals of hockey to waste a roster spot on.

I think most of the players in Edmonton are more gutless than you give them credit for. Players who get shifts and continue to watch their team mates taking cheapshots without responding cannot blame it on the coach.

I know you were one of the guys who always laughed and called Stortini "huggy", but there was a guy who was willing to a fault. NHL leader in fighting majors has fourteen fights this season. Brown has twelve. In 07/08 Stortini had twenty three fights, and in 08/09 he led the NHL with 25 majors. Now I know you're laughing and saying fighting Stortini was like a picnic for the opponent, and we can agree to disagree there, but his fighting ability is not the question. Sixty five fighting majors over three seasons were accumulated because at least he never stood by and watched team mates get man handled without stepping up to the plate and dropping the gloves immediately. Against whoever it was.

Who on this team has even remotely come close to doing that since? Maybe Penner or Souray?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
He's not even allowed on the bench.
Fiction, pretty much on par with the rest of the thread though.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezsannich View Post
And what basis has he exhibited to deserve to remain? What exactly does he do? Whatever it is it has not been beneficial to the growth of this team in the past years.
The point was that we (the average fan) do not know what Bucky brings. If your basis for letting him go is strictly based on winning or losing then you have a point. But condemning him as a bad coach because he has endured while several head coaches have been let go isn't proof of anything. The fact that he has worked with several different coaches during his time here perhaps speaks more for his character rather than against it. IMO yes they do have to change the dynamic of the team and the leadership somehow, but firing every member of the team behind the players isn't the answer.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:51 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Fiction, pretty much on par with the rest of the thread though.
He's not on the bench during games because he was told to be somewhere else. My statement is correct.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I can't believe this is team policy. Pretty sure I heard Stauffer saying that everyone knew Brown was looking for something right off the bat against the Wild. And Krueger starts his fourth line to oblige him? I mean come on why start Brown if this is a coach telling his players to turn the other cheek?

Konopka pretty much took Brown apart anyway so its not like the Oilers have an effective answer for a team like Vancouver where half the guys on the ice at any given time are very deserving of being called to account.

Hopefully Brown won't be back. He's tough and skates real fast I'll give him that, but he's too small and too bad at the fundamentals of hockey to waste a roster spot on.

I think most of the players in Edmonton are more gutless than you give them credit for. Players who get shifts and continue to watch their team mates taking cheapshots without responding cannot blame it on the coach.

I know you were one of the guys who always laughed and called Stortini "huggy", but there was a guy who was willing to a fault. NHL leader in fighting majors has fourteen fights this season. Brown has twelve. In 07/08 Stortini had twenty three fights, and in 08/09 he led the NHL with 25 majors. Now I know you're laughing and saying fighting Stortini was like a picnic for the opponent, and we can agree to disagree there, but his fighting ability is not the question. Sixty five fighting majors over three seasons were accumulated because at least he never stood by and watched team mates get man handled without stepping up to the plate and dropping the gloves immediately. Against whoever it was.

Who on this team has even remotely come close to doing that since? Maybe Penner or Souray?
Stortini? who argues with Stortini, come on he was the least effective fighter ever. Didn't protect anyone, watch his fights, there is a reason he is not in the NHL. The real enforcer was SMac and he was handcuffed too. But the coaches we have had, including MacT, have held back fighters and didn't play them much. Malph even admitted it a couple times this year but always said that they would be tougher to play against. And didn't play Fistric or Brown.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:57 PM
T-Funk

Stortini was an embarrassment.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Stortini was an embarrassment.
He was a career minor leaguer that got really lucky.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Tedi

Quote:
He's not on the bench during games because he was told to be somewhere else. My statement is correct.
No, it isn't. But I'm sure in your world that doesn't really matter.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:38 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
No, it isn't. But I'm sure in your world that doesn't really matter.
Where is Bucky supposed to be during games?

Old
04-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Where is Bucky supposed to be during games?
I'm not allowed to say so I didn't say...using your logic

Old
04-30-2013, 03:43 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
The Oilers had a half dozen forwards like that on the payroll this year.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
I'm not allowed to say so I didn't say...using your logic
Sounds reasonable.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Ya, a coach who poorly evaluated his ability. Somehow they thought Storts was the guy to keep over Glencross and Brodziak

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Sounds reasonable.
YUP

Old
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid49 View Post
I think with the right time Krueger might be an effective coach. Hopefully MacT provides it.
I want to listen to this, I really do....

BUT the eye test won't let me.
Refusal to line match at home for our best match ups on home ice
The "man to man" system that constantly had us running around in our own end and opposition players constantly "getting lost" and ending up wide open

I wonder if a full training camp would help but I just don't know...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The Oilers had a half dozen forwards like that on the payroll this year.
True, but most of them had NHL experience before they got here.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Tedi is an advocate for Kelly Buchberger? Step your ****ing game up kid. Bucky is wack and needs to go.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Tedi is an advocate for Kelly Buchberger? Step your ****ing game up kid. Bucky is wack and needs to go.
Based on what, the KB I know gave everything he had to this franchise.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

^
That doesn't qualify him to be a coach, or make him a good one...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Stortini? who argues with Stortini, come on he was the least effective fighter ever. Didn't protect anyone, watch his fights, there is a reason he is not in the NHL. The real enforcer was SMac and he was handcuffed too. But the coaches we have had, including MacT, have held back fighters and didn't play them much. Malph even admitted it a couple times this year but always said that they would be tougher to play against. And didn't play Fistric or Brown.
The example of Stortini wasn't whether he could fight or not, it was that he fought a lot compared to Brown(who is smaller and weaker player, despite being a more effective fighter). No one would fight Big Mac, and Laraque was a pacifist, but that is irrelevant as they were obsolete during their final years in the NHL just like every other enforcer.

It's not a coaching mandate that 90% of the players on the roster stand around awkwardly watching their teammates get roughed up, terrified to do anything lest they get involved. When you see Hall getting chased around the ice, and the only response is Smid going after one guy, and Hall is just trying to get off the ice because he knows he can't take on the other 4 alone - that's a team personnel problem, not coaching.

Half of Kreuger's post game comments this year have centered around him diplomatically stating they need to stop being wimps and stand up for themselves

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote