HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
02-26-2013, 02:03 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The fact of the matter is that he's brutal in his own end, IATL. You put him with Eberle and RNH and they'll forever be in their own end.
Has Eberle been any better defensively?

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:04 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
So we're already abandoning winning?

I like Yak but if he gets consistently burned in his own zone then isn't it time to change things up?
We've won 3 of our last 12 games. We are at the beginning of a nine game road trip. What do you think?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:18 AM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
People don't want to lose but it's happening. Maybe try to win instead of playing not to lose? Oilers are dead last in the league in 5 on 5 goal for. Giving up goals isn't the problem. You've got to score to win.
this is in response to some Yakupov thing the same poster had... must have hit the wrong reply post:

no way, Yakupov had at least "who knows who has been coaching me" turnovers this game and i called him out on all of them. he doesnt look good out there at all outside of his "feast" moments.

he is a feast or famine player. and the famine can be VERY sketchy. hes making decisions with the puck that are so unorthodox and strange that its even irking me. in the past, with Gagner's turnovers, at least you have an idea of why it happened or why he made the bad decision... some of Yak's are Other Planet level.

position: im all in favor of letting the kid play through them. who cares if we lose at this point? the mask is already off of this monstrosity of a team. the chances of this team "clicking" to make a playoff spot is astronomical with how they execute on the ice.

- overly fancy garbage
- terrible puck control and passing to maintain control (tape to tape on this team is a joke)
- afraid to chase the puck into the zone
- weak board play
- afraid to shoot aka assertiveness
- mid-low decision "IQ" / slow developing plays (part of the playing scared up top)
- sad vets (Belanger is atrocious outside of winning some face offs. Smyth is literally a bar league grandpa for speed out there now)
- pretty shady D communication (we could queue up some brutal errors from this game)
- Petry's squirt house league play at the end
- Gagner and Hemsky being traded would be great - in return? who the hell knows

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:59 AM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
@EdmontonOilers: "It's a painful result. But big picture, it's an excellent point against the best team in the NHL right now." - Coach Krueger

Coach K loves the loser points. We deserved a much worse result then we got there was no ES offense nothing even close to ES offense. But since we managed a loser point don't expect changes from Kruegs

You know I have never seen Krueger upset after a loss,

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Broilers

I think Krueger has got the job done. This is 0.500 team. If we get 46-50 pts He has done his job. More than 50 he has overachieved. We need to be realistic in our expectations.

1. When the young guys were in OKC, Barons were in the middle of the pack in the standings. That indicated that oilers will be in the west somewhere between 11-13. Development just takes the time

2. Our veterans are in the downward spiral of their careers. This is leading to situation that youth development is not replacing totally veteran regression.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Jtown

Im not saying the fans need to curb their expectations for this team, because every fanbase is going to hold their team to high expectations.

But I will say for a team that drafted first last year, and that would routinely get destroyed in games where they were outplayed the Oilers were able to get a point off the team with the best record in the nhl minus their best forward and while being thoroughly outshot. They don't get this point last year.

Everything this year needs to be looked from the perspective of the larger picture and that is right now The oilers are relying on very young men to play extraordinary roles in order to win. Just imagine what they will be capable when their game matures and their bodies mature.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
So we're already abandoning winning?

I like Yak but if he gets consistently burned in his own zone then isn't it time to change things up?
As many people have already pointed out Yakupov has about as many turnovers as Ryan Smyth, hasn't made as many game ending gaffes as Jordan Eberle or Jeff Petry, yet he is getting the Dale Hunter Ovechkin treatment while everyone else gets a pass.

The smart play would have been to put him up with RNH and Eberle to see what they had with that line while Hall was out. It wouldn't have been much worse in its own end and would have been much more dangerous in Chicago's.

Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
OilCanada92

Not breaking up Hemsky/Gagner and RNH/Eberle. That needs to happen now. Jones is contributing more then Hemsky and Eberle have been lately. Not saying put him on the first but some cycling between those 4 need to happen.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I think Krueger has got the job done. This is 0.500 team. If we get 46-50 pts He has done his job. More than 50 he has overachieved. We need to be realistic in our expectations.

1. When the young guys were in OKC, Barons were in the middle of the pack in the standings. That indicated that oilers will be in the west somewhere between 11-13. Development just takes the time

2. Our veterans are in the downward spiral of their careers. This is leading to situation that youth development is not replacing totally veteran regression.
How many times do we have to tell you people a .500 record is lousy in this league. 22 teams in this league are .500 or above and we are the last of those 22 teams.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Not breaking up Hemsky/Gagner and RNH/Eberle. That needs to happen now. Jones is contributing more then Hemsky and Eberle have been lately. Not saying put him on the first but some cycling between those 4 need to happen.
Yeah, I'm not going to agree with that, but Jones has played well since returning.

Lets just hope, after last night, Smyth is never on the top line again, the guy is a boat anchor in that situation now.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
How many times do we have to tell you people a .500 record is lousy in this league. 22 teams in this league are .500 or above and we are the last of those 22 teams.
There is a huge difference between several years ago and now but I guess maybe you don't see that. This year a 9 or 10th place finish in the west is considered improvement.

McTedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
I think a little stint between Eager and Jones would be good for RNH.

With a couple of net driving wingers, he might go back to the simplified game that made him so successful.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:44 AM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think a little stint between Eager and Jones would be good for RNH.

With a couple of net driving wingers, he might go back to the simplified game that made him so successful.
Problem with RNH is a lot of his shots have been missing the net. Cannot remember the stat Mark Spector said but more the half of RNH's shots miss the net. Yakapov really needs to just shoot that puck. Good things happen when you use him for the one timers. My example last night. RNH has looks great defensively. But! Right now we do not need that.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not going to agree with that, but Jones has played well since returning.

Lets just hope, after last night, Smyth is never on the top line again, the guy is a boat anchor in that situation now.
I can agree with what you're saying. But, Hemsky back to back games i recall doing a lot of "What are you doing?!" I get what Krueger was trying to do with Smyth, we needed someone to go to the net, why not have a guy who has made a living doing it.

Point is, time for some serious demotions and raises to happen involving those top centers and right wingers. Especially when you see Paajarvi Jones and Hall playing like they care.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
There is a huge difference between several years ago and now but I guess maybe you don't see that. This year a 9 or 10th place finish in the west is considered improvement.
If you want to talk about the oilers being greatly improved because of their standing in the conference, do it. The previous poster was extolling the oilers for being a .500 team when that is not a reason to think we are doing well, it's a bad stat to have not a good one, maybe you don't see that.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Master Lok

Its never too early to start these threads.

in fact, I'm going to start a thread Fire <insert next coach name>.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Its never too early to start these threads.

in fact, I'm going to start a thread Fire <insert next coach name>.
Leave Mike Keenan alone!

Old
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
As many people have already pointed out Yakupov has about as many turnovers as Ryan Smyth, hasn't made as many game ending gaffes as Jordan Eberle or Jeff Petry, yet he is getting the Dale Hunter Ovechkin treatment while everyone else gets a pass.

The smart play would have been to put him up with RNH and Eberle to see what they had with that line while Hall was out. It wouldn't have been much worse in its own end and would have been much more dangerous in Chicago's.
Here is my thoughts......

I really feel it comes down to the way Russian's like to play the game and how it is viewed by NA coaches/fans/mangement.

Russian's like to keep possession (even Debrusk was discussing this last night) in hopes of generating something while maintaining possession - i.e cant score if you dont have the puck.

Holding onto the puck can lead to dangerous giveaways but NA coaches are obsessed with dump and chase hockey as it is a safe play but it is basically giving the puck away - i.e cant score if the puck is 180 feet from our net.....

In the end - Smtty who cannot skate, stickhandle, shoot etc. gets more ice because he does what NA coaches want to see - dump and chase (very slowly i might add) whereas Yakupov wants to hold onto the puck which is something NA coaches do not want to see and is punished for it......

How many russian players have had shortened NHL careers because they never buy into the dump and chase mentallity?

I am not saying which is right and wrong......just why it is the case.

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I'd be happy with a 9th to 10th place finish 3 or 4 points out of the playoffs. Problem is I think we'll be closer to 15th in the conference and 10 points out. Which is really unacceptable when you look at a team like Montreal who turned it around in 1 year.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
#ualberta

Everyone gets on the scoreboard tonight except nail Yakupov who played just over 10 mins and had no pp time in the second period
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR OUR ROOKIE
We won in spite of Krueger not because of him.

Last edited by 402: 02-28-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Everyone gets on the scoreboard tonight except nail Yakupov who played just over 10 mins and had no pp time in the second period
Give it a rest already...he hit the crossbar - if it had gone in would you still be whining?

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Im not saying the fans need to curb their expectations for this team, because every fanbase is going to hold their team to high expectations.

But I will say for a team that drafted first last year, and that would routinely get destroyed in games where they were outplayed the Oilers were able to get a point off the team with the best record in the nhl minus their best forward and while being thoroughly outshot. They don't get this point last year.

Everything this year needs to be looked from the perspective of the larger picture and that is right now The oilers are relying on very young men to play extraordinary roles in order to win. Just imagine what they will be capable when their game matures and their bodies mature.
Good post.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
alexo

Let's fire Krueger, and also fire the next 3 coaches while we're at it since we're already on coach #4 in 5 years.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Give it a rest already...he hit the crossbar - if it had gone in would you still be whining?

No kidding. Apparently to some people it's more important that a rookie gets his ice time than manufacturing a win.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
We won in spite of Krueger not because of him.
I'm a big Yaks fan as well, but I think Krueger is doing the right thing by him. He's pretty raw and has to earn his place. So far, as far as I'm concerned, he hasn't. Krueger can't be handing him prime time spots because of his draft position. Dude has to earn it, and so far he hasn't.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
First of all i'm not whining i'm criticizing but you wouldn't understand the difference.
I am just about done criticizing Krueger i obviously thik he is doing a bad job and many posters agree and many other posters disagree, thats fine i will stick to my opinion though.
I'm upset about the opportunities we are giving yakupov so to answer your question no it would not have matter if he scored. How many 5 on 3's did we have today how many times did we score.
I would be very happy if you could tell me why Yakupov got zero pp time in the second period

Mowzie put it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie
So just so I'm clear on this...

Tie game, bench Yakupov.

Losing and trying to claw back, bench Yakupov.

Winning and trying to hold on to the lead, bench Yakupov.

Winning and on a PP, bench Yakupov.

5 on 3, bench Yakupov.

So he's basically the new Darcy Hordichuk...

Seguin was brought along slowly, but Boston's depth is 10x what we have.

And that 5 on 3 alignment behind the net? It worked once and now it's their go to move? Hall on the point? So many question marks...