HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
deep44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
But we see it with more players when they come here than not.

Do players really hate playing here?

Or is it they don't like Lowe and Tambo.

Confidence has been gone far too long for this organization.
i think in a few cases we attempt to put guys in roles they are not comfortable in, they don't do well in those roles and it just kills confidence.. and a lot of time in the past, even when struggling we keep them in a role hoping, and almost trying to force them out of a funk.. but the opposite happens.. and the confidence just gets lower and lower. In past years seems like we tried to make a lot of players that have been good 4th liners, or 3rd line players, into top 6 forwards.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I don't believe in a coach passing up on the chance to bury the other team on a 4 on 3 in ot. Does Smyth even have a PP or GWG this year? Oh that's right he usually doesn't get PP time. Wouldn't that ruin the chemistry of the other players who are usually on the PP together? Yak has already beaten Phoenix in the same situation, why bench him for Smyth who is rusty on the pp? Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever
Phoenix is one of the strongest counter teams in the league. A very real chance that if we don't have the right guys out there that the Yotes could actually score shorthanded.

Like I said we win the shootout if it goes to shootout. I knew we would. Not sure if anybody expected we wouldn't.

Yak right now is the most unpredictable forward on the club easily. Its a coaching decision, it turned out right.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Eberle is already a true goal scorer in my opinion. He's slumping right now and he's got six goals, and he scored over 30 last year. Hall should be a lock for thirty every year too.
I believe Eberle is as well.

He's been the best draft pick hands down by this org. 1st overall picks don't count.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Nope. As far as I'm concerned, hoping for the team losing, be it for new management or to tank, is pathetic.
Agreed. And thanks for answering.
Quote:
Never said for hibernation or get more hugs.
Not those words maybe, but the tone is there.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
i think in a few cases we attempt to put guys in roles they are not comfortable in, they don't do well in those roles and it just kills confidence.. and a lot of time in the past, even when struggling we keep them in a role hoping, and almost trying to force them out of a funk.. but the opposite happens.. and the confidence just gets lower and lower. In past years seems like we tried to make a lot of players that have been good 4th liners, or 3rd line players, into top 6 forwards.
Thats mentality of the management group/coaching group. It hasn't changed since 2006-2007 pretty much.

Harti has become the next toby peterson.

I like harti, but he isn't a top 6 player. I do like a player like himself on the PP though that makes sense.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
What the? Only 1 point out of playoffs? I had given up on playoffs at this point.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:53 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You know what, for a kid like this he's probably a bit thankful not all cameras and eyes are always on him. Theres time for that and he'll rise to it when he's ready.

Yak has the real advantage that for the first time in a longtime we're developing a star and the expectations aren't huge. Jason Arnott was a fantastic rookie player but the Oilers almost ruined his game by expecting so much from an 18 yr old right off the bat. They got it too, that first year, but Arnott was quickly burning out from the pressure.

The NHL is an amazing place, high pressure sports, much more than say KHL or anything Yak has seen before. He's a bit awestruck at times.

Well lets just hope we play a strong game. In a weird way this road trip might be exactly what this team needs and to get away from all of this stuff.

If they don't win I won't be mad, just show effort. The team did show effort from the 2nd period until the SO today.

Finally.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
deep44

Quote:
Thats mentality of the management group/coaching group. It hasn't changed since 2006-2007 pretty much.

Harti has become the next toby peterson.

I like harti, but he isn't a top 6 player. I do like a player like himself on the PP though that makes sense.
Agreed.. harti doesn't have the hands or offensive touch to be a top 6 guy. It is understandable to have a big body on pp so agree on that to, but 5 on 5, he needs to be a bottom 9 checker who uses his size to wear the defenders down.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Agreed.. harti doesn't have the hands or offensive touch to be a top 6 guy. It is understandable to have a big body on pp so agree on that to, but 5 on 5, he needs to be a bottom 9 checker who uses his size to wear the defenders down.
We have a log jam of bottom 6 players.

It's funny how many people have hated on Horcoff and when he's not in the line up it seems like there is no direction on the ice.

He has that "it" factor that makes people take a deep breath.

Just a weird thing I have caught since he's been out of the line up.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
deep44

Quote:
We have a log jam of bottom 6 players.

It's funny how many people have hated on Horcoff and when he's not in the line up it seems like there is no direction on the ice.

He has that "it" factor that makes people take a deep breath.

Just a weird thing I have caught since he's been out of the line up.
Yeah , if horcoff was making 3rd line money i don't think you see the hate as much. I have noticed him not being in the line up, he does make difference. Based on how eager and jones played today, if you had horc healthy to put between them i think that would be a pretty good 3rd line.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Come on guys. It's almost march and we are in a playoff race! We are usually out of it by New Years! Hahaha.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Same record as Detroit? I'm cool with that.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Yeah , if horcoff was making 3rd line money i don't think you see the hate as much. I have noticed him not being in the line up, he does make difference. Based on how eager and jones played today, if you had horc healthy to put between them i think that would be a pretty good 3rd line.
Unles we are signing Bob Gainey from the 1970's then I have no complaints about that 3rd line.

I think eager though will be on the 4th, because of Smyth. Not to say it's a good idea or not. I just feel they won't put smyth on the 4th line.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
BadMedicine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hahaha, Brownlee's being a real curmudgeon today. I love it.

Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee
"Is this something you can build on?" Will be asked 55 times in post-game scrums.

Glenn schwarz ‏@headpins
@Robin_Brownlee problem is they haven't built on anything yet need 4 or 5 wins in a row. I'm calling a 6w 2L 1OT in 9 game

Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee
@headpins That must be an unbelievablly potent bag of weed you've got there.
I say we will have to play to win and lose this OT/shootout mentality. We need 7 two point wins.

Brownlee is struggling to make a living , poor fella, he will say anything if it generates a few dimes for his retirement fund. Hes always talking about Prescription Medication as if it is illegal or something, truly a cheapshot at cancer patients and the many people, 26,000 in Canada alone being forced to utilise Marijuana as a theraputic solution. Its like making fun of Chemo-therapy patients. Typical Brownlee.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:13 PM
deep44

Quote:
Unles we are signing Bob Gainey from the 1970's then I have no complaints about that 3rd line.

I think eager though will be on the 4th, because of Smyth. Not to say it's a good idea or not. I just feel they won't put smyth on the 4th line.
Yeah i do not think they will either. Smyth has played better since being scratched... but eager actually has the speed to chip chase for check, really like how he has played of late.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:17 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Yeah i do not think they will either. Smyth has played better since being scratched... but eager actually has the speed to chip chase for check, really like how he has played of late.
Either way as long as it works out. Agree to agree lol

Old
02-23-2013, 07:26 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
What the? Only 1 point out of playoffs? I had given up on playoffs at this point.
I wouldn't get to excited, we'd have to jump 4 teams to make it in. And 2 of the teams have a game in hand and are sitting at 18 points. I'll start getting excited if we can come out of this road trip with some regulation wins and if we're still within 3 points of the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
deep44

Quote:
Either way as long as it works out. Agree to agree lol
agreed lol

Old
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

So it worked..

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post60299677

Old
02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Have the Oilers scored on a breakaway yet this season?
Not going to happen when 75% of them have been Taylor Hall.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
sundog

[QUOTE=Replacement;60330189]Eberle was just last year. The reality is in present day NHL Not many instances of 40 goals.

I think Yak could be that guy, possibly Eberle if he really bears down and keeps working hard his career. Hall another guy.

One of the problems on this club is the reliance on perfect cross ice plays instead of more guys earning a living on crashing and cashing.[/
QUOTE]

Amen to that.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

I don't mind them taking Yakupov off the 2nd line, but Hartikainen hasn't looked good there any time they've had him on 89/83's LW. On the other hand, in the few times Paajarvi was given the role, the line has looked great.

Back to Yakupov, he did do some nice things on the top line, but also had shifts where he was so lost that he was actually getting in the way of Nuge/Eberle. I don't have a problem with him being pulled off that line (which he didn't even start on). I do think they should've given him Hall's spot on the #1PP unit. If they wanted to mix things up, I think replacing Hall with Yak would've been a better move than replacing Eberle with Hemsky.

I thought Smyth looked good on the RNH/Eberle line and overall, I felt he was great all game. With that said, the short time 94-20-28 were together, I felt they were excellent and should probably be kept together. I don't know why they insisted on keeping Eager on the 3rd line. He's been better these past few games, but still not great. He's hitting and that's what he's there for, but he's not good enough at anything else to be on a line with that much responsibility.

For Hall's 2nd game missed, I'd like to see these lines:

Yakupov - Nuge - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Jones
Eager - VandeVelde - Hartikainen

When Hall gets back, you put him where I have Paajarvi above, and MPS replaces Eager on the 4th (or at RW with Hartikainen in Eager's spot). Eager has been better than usual these past couple of games, but still not better than any of the other available wingers IMO.

02-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Hemsky4PM

I really thought Khabibulin was done and wouldn't play more than 6-8 games this year. Now it looks like it could be 15+ if he continues playing at this level and Dubnyk has weak outings. I like the competition, Dubnyk needs to be pushed to get those weak goals out of his game.

As for the standings, win 3 and your right there, lose three and you look like your cooked. Honestly, wouldn't everyone be satisfied with some 'progression' if the Oilers simply finished 20-24th in the final league standings? Playoffs would be great, but a playoff race is more realistic and would show improvement.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:02 PM
ponokanocker

A very entertaining game to be at. Hemsky had 3 bad turnovers, one costing the team a goal. Smyth was awesome! Loved seeing that guy have a huge game.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:07 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Honestly, wouldn't everyone be satisfied with some 'progression' if the Oilers simply finished 20-24th in the final league standings?
Before the season, most people would say "yes." During the season, (when they begin realizing that still means a lot of losses) most people would gnash their teeth and scream "no." After the season, it would probably be an even split.

Closed Thread