HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Online Equipment Shopping in Canada

Old
03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Dont Hinder Jinder

vCash: 500
Online Equipment Shopping in Canada

Hey all,

I'm getting back into hockey after a 5 year hiatus due to school and needed to upgrade some of my gear.

I was looking at stores online such as hockeymonkey and a few others but I encountered the problem of some manufacturers not shipping from the US to Canada. I've only begun my journey shopping so I haven't checked out the local places. I might just get some used equipment but wouldn't mind comparing it to new equipment prices.

My question is, what sites are legit for Canadian players looking to buy equipment. I've found some like:
Hockey Supremacy
Hot Shots Hockey
Total Hockey

What has your guys experiences been when ordering equipment online to Canada (or suggestions for sites within Canada)

Thanks!

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
AIREAYE

Buy locally where you can try gear on...

Where are you located roughly?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

Edmonton

I found things online to be cheaper, I was planning on going to stores to try on the stuff before ordering it online (Yeah, I'm one of those guys LOL)

just want to get a better idea of what's available online so I can get the best deal either locally or otherwise

Old
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Highlight Reel View Post
Edmonton

I found things online to be cheaper, I was planning on going to stores to try on the stuff before ordering it online (Yeah, I'm one of those guys LOL)

just want to get a better idea of what's available online so I can get the best deal either locally or otherwise
Grr... I despise you people .

The worst is when someone comes in and has me fit them for all these different pairs of skates only to TELL ME that he's going to go look online. I know that that's business and it's not really "wrong" of the customer to do, but boy is it frustrating. Especially when we match whatever price you would find online.

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
http://www.thehockeyshop.com/

I've ordered from them a couple of times. They are based in Vancouver.

They also have flat shipping rates displayed upfront and you can find here:

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/delivery

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Highlight Reel View Post
Edmonton

Old
03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Hank4Hart

you dont....

make some friends in the states so they can help you ship the gear across the border..

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:34 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

In Canada it's best to buy locally. The online retailers prices are pretty comparable. If you live near the border shipping to a locale across the border and then picking it up is a good idea.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:54 PM
neksys

I just wanted to share that our only mid- to high-end hockey retailers in town just closed today. All we have left is essentially Canadian Tire and SportChek. The reason? The HUGE downturn in business from people using them as a try-before-you-buy-online showcase.

Businesses need to learn how to recapture some of those customers, but some of those customers also need to learn that saving $20 or $30 on a $400 purchase isn't everything as well.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it...looks like I won't be "one of those guys"

Old
03-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Grr... I despise you people .

The worst is when someone comes in and has me fit them for all these different pairs of skates only to TELL ME that he's going to go look online. I know that that's business and it's not really "wrong" of the customer to do, but boy is it frustrating. Especially when we match whatever price you would find online.
As a buyer this is the key point for me though. I bought my skates in store, but for almost everything else it's not reasonable for me to buy locally. We have two stores, a big one that doesn't price match and a smaller one at the rink tht does, but doesn't have a great selection. I usually cant find what im looking for inthe smaller store. If the bigger store would price match though, I'd buy everything there. But when you're talking $50ish more after shipping for a $100-$120 stick, why would I do that? I get what youre saying about $20-$30 on a $400 purcase, but when its $50ish on a $200 purchase, its unfair to expect that of me just because I'm local. it takes me about 15$ just in gas to get there and back. Though I'd never tell them I was there trying to get an idea to go buy online.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:49 PM
JoeyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
As a buyer this is the key point for me though. I bought my skates in store, but for almost everything else it's not reasonable for me to buy locally. We have two stores, a big one that doesn't price match and a smaller one at the rink tht does, but doesn't have a great selection. I usually cant find what im looking for inthe smaller store. If the bigger store would price match though, I'd buy everything there. But when you're talking $50ish more after shipping for a $100-$120 stick, why would I do that? I get what youre saying about $20-$30 on a $400 purcase, but when its $50ish on a $200 purchase, its unfair to expect that of me just because I'm local. it takes me about 15$ just in gas to get there and back. Though I'd never tell them I was there trying to get an idea to go buy online.
I was in a similar boat. I bought skates from the little local shop because the guy went through all the effort of letting me dick around with 87 different pairs of skates trying to find the best fit, so I gave him the sale. But it's just not economical to buy everything from him. His store is about as big as my coat closet.

JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
AIREAYE

The problem ethically ISN'T that you should always buy locally, but that it's you shouldn't use your local shop as a fitting station for buying online. Don't make a mess and don't waste their time.

If you have 20 local shops selling everything that HM carries but at 20% higher prices, of course you might be inclined to buy online; simple business sense. Just don't go to those 20 stores and try everything on.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The problem ethically ISN'T that you should always buy locally, but that it's you shouldn't use your local shop as a fitting station for buying online. Don't make a mess and don't waste their time.

If you have 20 local shops selling everything that HM carries but at 20% higher prices, of course you might be inclined to buy online; simple business sense. Just don't go to those 20 stores and try everything on.
Yeah that's fair. It can still be tough to avoid though. I usually decide something like "hey I need new gloves", go to the store, find a pair I like and then compare prices. If they're comparable I'll buy them at the store, otherwise I'll get them online if there is a significant difference. I just think its a tough situation all the way around. I'm not going to buy something without trying it on first. I'm also not going to buy something without comparing prices.

Thanks for the view from the other side though. It is helpful to understand what could make me look like a jerk to people I interact with somewhat frequently. My inexperience speaks for itself.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote