HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Jay-Z's Roc Nation targeting Seth Jones as client

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Jay-Z's Roc Nation targeting Seth Jones as client

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421579

Quote:
The New York Post reports that Roc Nation, the entertainment company founded by music producer and entrepreneur Jay-Z, is targeting Portland Winterhawks blueliner and potential first overall NHL pick Seth Jones as a client.

"When Seth comes to the NHL draft in June, his family, agents at CAA (Creative Artists Agency) and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he'll sign with them," a source told the newspaper on Tuesday.

Jones, the son of Nets assistant coach and former NBA player Popeye Jones, is represented by CAA - which is already a partner of Roc Nation.

The Post's Kristen Fleming adds that Jay-Z's group wants to strike a deal to be involved in the Jones's marketing and branding. Roc Nation already represents a large stable of artists, producers and songwriters and is reportedly looking to expand into sports representation.
Sounds like he could be majorly marketed if so.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:58 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

To be fair, every hockey agent is probably targeting Seth Jones.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Um, hell yes!

Old
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
To be fair, every hockey agent is probably targeting Seth Jones.
He's signed CAA as his (hockey) agent. Doubt he'll leave them, but as CAA and Roc Nation are "partners" there might be endorsement deals coming from that direction.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
That's awesome.

The kid is 18, won a WJC Gold, is about to be one of the top picks in the NHL Entry Draft and Jay-Z wants to sign him to endorse his company. Life must be good as Seth Jones.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Boy, if he ends up in Miami there will be a ton of crossover opportunities with the local music scene.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

I imagine the prospect of the first African-American (as opposed to Black Canadian) star in the sport has Bettman and the NHL marketing/PR department salivating. Jones is going to be marketed like crazy if he is even close to the player he is supposed to be.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Kloparren
Hth

For the sake of the team who drafts him....I hope Jay-Z is not the one leading contract negotiations.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Wingsfan2965*

IMO this his huge.

Jay Z has a huge platform in the demographic that the NHL lacks the most. Tap into that demographic and the NHL's popularity could explode.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
For the sake of the team who drafts him....I hope Jay-Z is not the one leading contract negotiations.
He's not. He has CAA for that. Jay-Z is kind of the promoter. Takes a few pictures with the client, issues some press releases and goes about his business. Its a good deal for both the player and Jay-Z.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

MOD NOTE: This thread is on the marketability of Seth Jones, the player, as promoted by Roc Nation. If you want to talk about specific teams landing him, head over to the NHL Talk forum.

(Every team would love to land him, either as the player and/or a connection to an untapped demographic.)

Old
04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Subban winning the Norris and Jones being drafted first overall would be huge for the NHL in terms of breaking down barriers.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Jay-Z working with Seth Jones would be huge, not only for Seth but for the game as well. It would be pretty cool to see Jay-Z and Beyonce at NHL games and use their credibility to open the door to a population that's never really been marketed before by the NHL.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

I guess i'll be the one to say it. The only reason Roc Nation has any interest is because he's black. It has nothing, like literally nothing to do with his ability as a hockey player.

I mean great for Jones and everything it just stinks of racial profiling.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
I guess i'll be the one to say it. The only reason Roc Nation has any interest is because he's black. It has nothing, like literally nothing to do with his ability as a hockey player.

Good point. I remember when Calgary made the Finals oh so long ago how Iggy was proclaimed the NHL's gateway into the black community and that didn't pan out. Much like how Tiger was seen as golf's gateway into the black community, that hasn't panned out either.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Well the black thing is a factor for sure but there's also the fact that he is the son of a career NBA player, his father was represented by the agency with connections to Jay-Z, and Jay-Z owns a NBA team, and he's American which makes Seth Jones a better fit for their image than say another young black impact player like PK Subban or Wayne Simmonds.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:

I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with his ability. There have been African-American players before -- Byfuglien, Grier, Okposo, Etem.

Jones is both a black American and the #1 prospect in hockey, and it's the confluence of those factors that makes him appealing to a marketing firm. If he were a scrub, projected to go in the 7th round, he wouldn't even be close to Roc's radar.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:50 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
Never really liked him, never got all the hype about him. I don't like what he brings and don't think that he will live up to the hype.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Are Roc Nation really going to be all that interested in Jones if he ends up in places like Calgary or Carolina? Those aren't exactly ideal markets if you want to sell the image of a young athlete to an American audience.

It's basically the same problem that Eric Lindros had with Quebec City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Good point. I remember when Calgary made the Finals oh so long ago how Iggy was proclaimed the NHL's gateway into the black community and that didn't pan out. Much like how Tiger was seen as golf's gateway into the black community, that hasn't panned out either.
Tiger has made himself an absolute ****tonne of money from endorsements though, to some degree because of his multiracial background.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:

Nothing suprising but I disagree with you saying it has nothing to do with his ability to play hockey. It actually gives them a better reason to target him. Let's not forget, Jay-Z just sold his parts as a Brooklyn Nets owner so he can put more time into being a player agent. Considering the fact that Seth Jones is arguably the #1 prospect coming into the draft and that his father is employed by the Nets, it's only right Jay-Z's Roc Nation makes a huge push to get him. Is it really a bad thing ? If anything it shows that hockey can be played by anybody and they can be successful.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with his ability. There have been African-American players before -- Byfuglien, Grier, Okposo, Etem.

Jones is both a black American and the #1 prospect in hockey, and it's the confluence of those factors that makes him appealing to a marketing firm. If he were a scrub, projected to go in the 7th round, he wouldn't even be close to Roc's radar.
Understood, it's just that if Jones was white it would be your typical Nike//RBK endorsements. Dont get me wrong i think it's awesome that Roc is looking into hockey, however it shouldn't take a black kid to facilitate that. There are plenty of young NHLers who like Jay-Z and hip hop who would fit into Roc's cultural identity, it just bothers me that it seems the company's main attitude is "oh fantastic, a black kid that we can use to get our feet in the NHL's door to make more money!"

Like who even knows if Jones likes Jay-Z or any of the artists signed and affiliated with Rocafella/Roc Nation? Are people just assuming that because he's black he likes rap?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Are Roc Nation really going to be all that interested in Jones if he ends up in places like Calgary or Carolina? Those aren't exactly ideal markets if you want to sell the image of a young athlete to an American audience.

It's basically the same problem that Eric Lindros had with Quebec City.
This is one thing I do fear with Jay-Z on board. Would it be Lindros Redux if Colorado or Nashville wins the lottery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Tiger has made himself an absolute ****tonne of money from endorsements though, to some degree because of his multiracial background.
I didn't mean about endorsements, I was making more of a point about African Americans getting into golf.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
The NHL dosent market its sport or players so i doubt it would help the NHL in anyway
You're underestimating the power that Roc Nation/ Jay-Z has on the marketing business and pop culture. The amount of Nets gear I see in Montreal with nobody actually following them is crazy.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Like who even knows if Jones likes Jay-Z or any of the artists signed and affiliated with Rocafella/Roc Nation?
Do all the players endorsed by Reebok actually like their products?

Would Sidney Crosby ever actually eat the bread who's commercial he appeared in a few years ago?

Most celebrity endorsers don't care the slightest about whatever product it is they are endorsing, they just do what the dollar tells them to.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Makes a lot of sense, and if the NHL were smart it'd be in their best interests to promote Jones in a big way in their marketing strategy, especially if he goes first overall

Being the first black #1 overall draft pick alone would be major news for at least a day or two at the very least. Hope they capitalize on that beyond just a generic human interest story on Sportscenter a day or two after the fact.

Closed Thread