HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Jay-Z's Roc Nation targeting Seth Jones as client

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,180
vCash: 500
Jay-Z's Roc Nation targeting Seth Jones as client

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421579

Quote:
The New York Post reports that Roc Nation, the entertainment company founded by music producer and entrepreneur Jay-Z, is targeting Portland Winterhawks blueliner and potential first overall NHL pick Seth Jones as a client.

"When Seth comes to the NHL draft in June, his family, agents at CAA (Creative Artists Agency) and Roc Nation are going to have a powwow to see if he'll sign with them," a source told the newspaper on Tuesday.

Jones, the son of Nets assistant coach and former NBA player Popeye Jones, is represented by CAA - which is already a partner of Roc Nation.

The Post's Kristen Fleming adds that Jay-Z's group wants to strike a deal to be involved in the Jones's marketing and branding. Roc Nation already represents a large stable of artists, producers and songwriters and is reportedly looking to expand into sports representation.
Sounds like he could be majorly marketed if so.

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 11:58 AM
  #2
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,035
vCash: 500
To be fair, every hockey agent is probably targeting Seth Jones.

bluesfan94 is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 11:59 AM
  #3
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
Um, hell yes!

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
  #4
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
To be fair, every hockey agent is probably targeting Seth Jones.
He's signed CAA as his (hockey) agent. Doubt he'll leave them, but as CAA and Roc Nation are "partners" there might be endorsement deals coming from that direction.

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
  #5
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
That's awesome.

The kid is 18, won a WJC Gold, is about to be one of the top picks in the NHL Entry Draft and Jay-Z wants to sign him to endorse his company. Life must be good as Seth Jones.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:15 PM
  #6
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,455
vCash: 500
Boy, if he ends up in Miami there will be a ton of crossover opportunities with the local music scene.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
  #7
MartysBetterThanYou
Registered User
 
MartysBetterThanYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
I imagine the prospect of the first African-American (as opposed to Black Canadian) star in the sport has Bettman and the NHL marketing/PR department salivating. Jones is going to be marketed like crazy if he is even close to the player he is supposed to be.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
  #8
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
For the sake of the team who drafts him....I hope Jay-Z is not the one leading contract negotiations.

Kloparren is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
  #9
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
IMO this his huge.

Jay Z has a huge platform in the demographic that the NHL lacks the most. Tap into that demographic and the NHL's popularity could explode.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
  #10
The Flin Flon Bomber
Registered User
 
The Flin Flon Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
For the sake of the team who drafts him....I hope Jay-Z is not the one leading contract negotiations.
He's not. He has CAA for that. Jay-Z is kind of the promoter. Takes a few pictures with the client, issues some press releases and goes about his business. Its a good deal for both the player and Jay-Z.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:57 PM
  #11
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,180
vCash: 500
MOD NOTE: This thread is on the marketability of Seth Jones, the player, as promoted by Roc Nation. If you want to talk about specific teams landing him, head over to the NHL Talk forum.

(Every team would love to land him, either as the player and/or a connection to an untapped demographic.)

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
  #12
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Subban winning the Norris and Jones being drafted first overall would be huge for the NHL in terms of breaking down barriers.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
  #13
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 774
Jay-Z working with Seth Jones would be huge, not only for Seth but for the game as well. It would be pretty cool to see Jay-Z and Beyonce at NHL games and use their credibility to open the door to a population that's never really been marketed before by the NHL.

puckguy11 is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
  #14
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that
 
VoicexOfxReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Away from Cor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,222
vCash: 500
I guess i'll be the one to say it. The only reason Roc Nation has any interest is because he's black. It has nothing, like literally nothing to do with his ability as a hockey player.

I mean great for Jones and everything it just stinks of racial profiling.

VoicexOfxReason is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
  #15
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
I guess i'll be the one to say it. The only reason Roc Nation has any interest is because he's black. It has nothing, like literally nothing to do with his ability as a hockey player.

I mean great for Jones and everything it just stinks of racial profiling.
Good point. I remember when Calgary made the Finals oh so long ago how Iggy was proclaimed the NHL's gateway into the black community and that didn't pan out. Much like how Tiger was seen as golf's gateway into the black community, that hasn't panned out either.

puckguy11 is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
  #16
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,670
vCash: 2615
Well the black thing is a factor for sure but there's also the fact that he is the son of a career NBA player, his father was represented by the agency with connections to Jay-Z, and Jay-Z owns a NBA team, and he's American which makes Seth Jones a better fit for their image than say another young black impact player like PK Subban or Wayne Simmonds.

Burke the Legend is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
  #17
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
I guess i'll be the one to say it. The only reason Roc Nation has any interest is because he's black. It has nothing, like literally nothing to do with his ability as a hockey player.

I mean great for Jones and everything it just stinks of racial profiling.
I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with his ability. There have been African-American players before -- Byfuglien, Grier, Okposo, Etem.

Jones is both a black American and the #1 prospect in hockey, and it's the confluence of those factors that makes him appealing to a marketing firm. If he were a scrub, projected to go in the 7th round, he wouldn't even be close to Roc's radar.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:50 PM
  #18
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 50
Never really liked him, never got all the hype about him. I don't like what he brings and don't think that he will live up to the hype.

viper0220 is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
  #19
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,658
vCash: 50
Are Roc Nation really going to be all that interested in Jones if he ends up in places like Calgary or Carolina? Those aren't exactly ideal markets if you want to sell the image of a young athlete to an American audience.

It's basically the same problem that Eric Lindros had with Quebec City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Good point. I remember when Calgary made the Finals oh so long ago how Iggy was proclaimed the NHL's gateway into the black community and that didn't pan out. Much like how Tiger was seen as golf's gateway into the black community, that hasn't panned out either.
Tiger has made himself an absolute ****tonne of money from endorsements though, to some degree because of his multiracial background.

Franck is online now  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
  #20
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
I guess i'll be the one to say it. The only reason Roc Nation has any interest is because he's black. It has nothing, like literally nothing to do with his ability as a hockey player.

I mean great for Jones and everything it just stinks of racial profiling.
Nothing suprising but I disagree with you saying it has nothing to do with his ability to play hockey. It actually gives them a better reason to target him. Let's not forget, Jay-Z just sold his parts as a Brooklyn Nets owner so he can put more time into being a player agent. Considering the fact that Seth Jones is arguably the #1 prospect coming into the draft and that his father is employed by the Nets, it's only right Jay-Z's Roc Nation makes a huge push to get him. Is it really a bad thing ? If anything it shows that hockey can be played by anybody and they can be successful.

JayKing is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
  #21
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that
 
VoicexOfxReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Away from Cor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with his ability. There have been African-American players before -- Byfuglien, Grier, Okposo, Etem.

Jones is both a black American and the #1 prospect in hockey, and it's the confluence of those factors that makes him appealing to a marketing firm. If he were a scrub, projected to go in the 7th round, he wouldn't even be close to Roc's radar.
Understood, it's just that if Jones was white it would be your typical Nike//RBK endorsements. Dont get me wrong i think it's awesome that Roc is looking into hockey, however it shouldn't take a black kid to facilitate that. There are plenty of young NHLers who like Jay-Z and hip hop who would fit into Roc's cultural identity, it just bothers me that it seems the company's main attitude is "oh fantastic, a black kid that we can use to get our feet in the NHL's door to make more money!"

Like who even knows if Jones likes Jay-Z or any of the artists signed and affiliated with Rocafella/Roc Nation? Are people just assuming that because he's black he likes rap?

VoicexOfxReason is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
  #22
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Are Roc Nation really going to be all that interested in Jones if he ends up in places like Calgary or Carolina? Those aren't exactly ideal markets if you want to sell the image of a young athlete to an American audience.

It's basically the same problem that Eric Lindros had with Quebec City.
This is one thing I do fear with Jay-Z on board. Would it be Lindros Redux if Colorado or Nashville wins the lottery?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Tiger has made himself an absolute ****tonne of money from endorsements though, to some degree because of his multiracial background.
I didn't mean about endorsements, I was making more of a point about African Americans getting into golf.

puckguy11 is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
  #23
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
The NHL dosent market its sport or players so i doubt it would help the NHL in anyway
You're underestimating the power that Roc Nation/ Jay-Z has on the marketing business and pop culture. The amount of Nets gear I see in Montreal with nobody actually following them is crazy.

JayKing is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 01:58 PM
  #24
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,658
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Like who even knows if Jones likes Jay-Z or any of the artists signed and affiliated with Rocafella/Roc Nation?
Do all the players endorsed by Reebok actually like their products?

Would Sidney Crosby ever actually eat the bread who's commercial he appeared in a few years ago?

Most celebrity endorsers don't care the slightest about whatever product it is they are endorsing, they just do what the dollar tells them to.

Franck is online now  
Old
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
  #25
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,436
vCash: 1
Makes a lot of sense, and if the NHL were smart it'd be in their best interests to promote Jones in a big way in their marketing strategy, especially if he goes first overall

Being the first black #1 overall draft pick alone would be major news for at least a day or two at the very least. Hope they capitalize on that beyond just a generic human interest story on Sportscenter a day or two after the fact.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.