HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT Sacramento looking to finance new arena; UPD NBA rejects relocation to Seattle bid

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 01:19 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Sacremento should get to keep there team. They have the new arena coming and strong ownership. In Bettman's standard, this team would stay in Sacramento, especially that its in the southern US. Those fans there deserve this. Come on Stern, make it happen for the good folks in Sacremento!!
*sigh* its not that simple. They can't just take team from maloofs and tell them sorry but they HAVE to stay. They have to reject hansen's sale and hope maloofs are willing to sell locally. Seattle is a superior market than sacramento. An owner will never tell another owner who they can or can't sell too.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
*sigh* its not that simple. They can't just take team from maloofs and tell them sorry but they HAVE to stay. They have to reject hansen's sale and hope maloofs are willing to sell locally. Seattle is a superior market than sacramento. An owner will never tell another owner who they can or can't sell too.
What exactly does that have to do with the sale? Seattle has more people, but Sacramento has also proven to be a very good sports market.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Sacremento should get to keep there team. They have the new arena coming and strong ownership. In Bettman's standard, this team would stay in Sacramento, especially that its in the southern US. Those fans there deserve this. Come on Stern, make it happen for the good folks in Sacremento!!
I'm going to guess that this sentiment is based on you wanting Sacramento to keep their team so that Seattle won't get an NBA team soon, and as such would delay any NHL team (likely the Coyotes) from going to Seattle this year, and as such would not be any competition for QC getting a team.

Could that be it? Could it?

Old
03-26-2013, 02:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Let's keep the discussion within good measure folks. Thanks
sorry.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Clowe Me, would you convert?

Old
03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Love all the support that Sacramento is getting from Quebec

Old
03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I'm going to guess that this sentiment is based on you wanting Sacramento to keep their team so that Seattle won't get an NBA team soon, and as such would delay any NHL team (likely the Coyotes) from going to Seattle this year, and as such would not be any competition for QC getting a team.

Sacramento and Quebec City share deep and historical connections between its people. Come on man!

Old
03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Obviously you're cheering for Quebec.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Here's my honest and non-partisan (as much as I can) opinion.

I think that while Seattle deserves an NBA team, taking one from the great fanbase in Sacramento (the key difference between them and..... that other place in a nearby State....) would be grossly unfair , and so I'd feel better if it came trough expension.

I dont want to see them screwed by horrible owners like the poor Expos (and the Marlins, and the Supersonics not long ago).

And I hope the NBA doesn't turn away a great ownership offer from Sacramento (somthing increadibly stupid) just to ''right a wrong'' in Seattle. Two wrongs don't make a right!

Old
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Clowe Me, would you convert?
I really don't know at this time.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:05 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Thats not 100% true. The Maloofs have agreed to sell the team, they are out of the process now. Not sure how you judge superior markets either. I know Sac is a top 25 market and Seattle is in the top 15 but if that mattered then OKC, the 56th market, wouldn't have a team. Seattle has more teams, but Sac being a 1 team city might be more appealing.

Will be interesting to see, I'm rooting for Sac to keep the Kings

Old
03-27-2013, 01:22 AM
PCSPounder

Let's get one thing straight, as at least one sports biz guy on Twitter has noted: this is not about markets now. It's about billionaires.

In this case, the Maloofs probably have reasons not to deal with everyone on Sac's whale list and Hansen has the $$ and the upper hand... never mind Seattle thinks they invented billionaires back when Microsoft got big.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:56 AM
DaveTheHockeyFan

Sacramento City Council approves arena term sheet

http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...ena-term-sheet

Old
03-27-2013, 02:42 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Thats not 100% true. The Maloofs have agreed to sell the team, they are out of the process now. Not sure how you judge superior markets either. I know Sac is a top 25 market and Seattle is in the top 15 but if that mattered then OKC, the 56th market, wouldn't have a team. Seattle has more teams, but Sac being a 1 team city might be more appealing.

That is absolutely incorrect. The NBA can only approve or disapprove Hansen as an owner. They can not force an owner in good standing to sell his franchise to another party. End of story.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheHockeyFan View Post

Good on ya, Sacto. Don't go down without a fight!

Old
03-27-2013, 09:23 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheHockeyFan View Post

Not unexpected, but good for Sacramento to keep on fighting.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I get the feeling Sacramento's going to keep their NBA team. They seem to be putting up to much of a fight to have everything fall apart. Wonder what means now for a city like Seattle who deserves a NBA team.

03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

It is 100% true, If the NBA turns down the sale to Hansen, they can not then decide who to sell the team too.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I get the feeling Sacramento's going to keep their NBA team. They seem to be putting up to much of a fight to have everything fall apart. Wonder what means now for a city like Seattle who deserves a NBA team.
Sacramento's fight is out in public, Seattle's fight is behind the scenes and out of the press. Don't think that just because Hansen is not having a press conference every day that they are not doing work to ratchet up its support.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
ramstoria

I'm not a basketball fan, but I really hope we keep the Kings and build the arena for a number of reasons. But as for Sacramento being home to an NHL team... I just don't see it happening.

We could definitely support the team, I have no doubt about that, but it seems to me like there will be so many competing markets for an NHL team. It's one thing to keep the team you have, and another to lure a new team. That said, I definitely think we could support an AHL or ECHL team. Maybe the Worcester Sharks could move to Sacramento? I read not to long ago about the Stockton Thunder (on of the top ECHL teams in attendance) might break their lease due to Stockton's financial woes.

I don't think that it would be too hard a sell, even for an minor league hockey team, because under this proposal the city will have control of the arena and it is in their best interest to have as many events and ticket sales as possible as a revenue source.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

As someone spurned when the Sonics were stolen from Seattle, I'd rather that our new NBA team be an expansion one, and not taken from the good people of Sacramento.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:00 AM
gernb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
As someone spurned when the Sonics were stolen from Seattle, I'd rather that our new NBA team be an expansion one, and not taken from the good people of Sacramento.
Well, it's not like the Kings have always been in Sacramento either, so it's a bit easier to justify.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

That's good. So the arena deal is approved. What's the next hurdle?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
krudmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post

As opposed to everyone here following NBA relocation drama just in case that the Coyotes move there? Which motivation is more just?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
Well, it's not like the Kings have always been in Sacramento either, so it's a bit easier to justify.
No, it's not, because fans have no say in how they get a team. Do you want to toss the Lakers, Yankees and Bears into that group?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
That's good. So the arena deal is approved. What's the next hurdle?
All they can do now is bid for the team and wait for the nba's decision.

Closed Thread