HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Conference Discussion (Realignment Approved, Detroit and Columbus Leaving)

Old
03-08-2013, 07:53 AM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
I hate it also. When Hawks aren’t playing and I want to catch another game, I rarely will watch the Western Conference unless it’s the Wings or Oilers. The hockey can be so dam dull.

On another note, led mainly by Philly and Bruins, the teams in the Eastern Conference are getting more physical each. It will be interesting to see if Wings adapt their style.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Interesting, PA agrees to it but with an opt out clause after the 2014-15 season. Seems there might be some more moves yet to come.
Read an ESPN report by Lebrun that re-examination would be a two year process, so this is locked in for at least 4 years unless there is a relocation or expansion.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Expansion if any would probably happen in the East unless Seattle gets a franchise so they'll either have the shuffle the deck again or force the new teams to play in the West.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
madgoat33

what happens when phx inevitably gets moved?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
what happens when phx inevitably gets moved?
I honestly thing this bodes poorly for Quebec City. The NHL has to know that the jig is up in the desert. I doubt that they'd take away their waggle room by closing off the east if they were planning on letting a team move there.

Makes me think that the NHL is even more keen on Seattle than we all thought, even if they'd have to play the first couple years in the equivalent of a halfway decent AHL rink...

Then again, the prospect of delicious, delicious Detroit tears of them getting booted back west after a few years east if the Yotes do move to the QC is an attractive prospect!

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
madgoat33

I'm thinking seattle is much more likely too just because QC would pretty much have to be an EC team.

Last edited by madgoat33: 03-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.
madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Beukeboom Fan

My main problem is my least favorite opponents are the Preds & Wild based on their passive systems.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
My main problem is my least favorite opponents are the Preds & Wild based on their passive systems.
Looking at who the Wild have on their roster and who they have coming up, I don't think they'll be playing a passive system for much longer. They have some high-octane players coming up, and they'll need a high-octane system to thrive.

The Preds will be the Preds, though. Not much you can do there.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I honestly thing this bodes poorly for Quebec City. The NHL has to know that the jig is up in the desert. I doubt that they'd take away their waggle room by closing off the east if they were planning on letting a team move there.

Makes me think that the NHL is even more keen on Seattle than we all thought, even if they'd have to play the first couple years in the equivalent of a halfway decent AHL rink...

Then again, the prospect of delicious, delicious Detroit tears of them getting booted back west after a few years east if the Yotes do move to the QC is an attractive prospect!
Or the NHL moved DET for now just to shut them up knowing in 2 years they will be moved back when Phoenix gets moved to QC and the NHL can say well we moved you but we HAVE to move you back it's out of our hands.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Expansion if any would probably happen in the East unless Seattle gets a franchise so they'll either have the shuffle the deck again or force the new teams to play in the West.
Yeah Seattle would be the obvious choice in the West. Houston and Portland would be worthwhile markets that have shown interest in the past, but they would need an owner.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

I've said my peace earlier on this BS.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I still hope for an expansion. Houston, Kansas City, Seattle or Portland for West would all be possible citys

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Or the NHL moved DET for now just to shut them up knowing in 2 years they will be moved back when Phoenix gets moved to QC and the NHL can say well we moved you but we HAVE to move you back it's out of our hands.
I think there's 0 chance they'd move Detroit back. If anyone was getting moved back it would probably be Columbus.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:01 PM
EbonyRaptor

I'd say the (future) divisional rivalry with Colorado was born last night. I'm looking forward to developing hatred for the Avs as the Hawks play them 6 times a year (or whatever number it's going to be). They have a good young core group to continue to build around and will be good competition for the Hawks in the years ahead.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not sure about that. Their core guys aren't really hateable players. How can you not like Duchene or Landeskog?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:43 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

No real rivalries left for the Hawks except Vancouver. Maybe St.Louis but thats tertiary compared with what the Hawks had built up with Detroit over the years. Best the Hawks can do is run roughshod over the West for the next few years and see what develops. Rivalry aspect has disappeared as far as the Hawks go imo. The realignment proposal blows.

I would laugh if Detroit was forced back into the West after expansion but I dont think thats happening.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
No real rivalries left for the Hawks except Vancouver. Maybe St.Louis but thats tertiary compared with what the Hawks had built up with Detroit over the years. Best the Hawks can do is run roughshod over the West for the next few years and see what develops. Rivalry aspect has disappeared as far as the Hawks go imo. The realignment proposal blows.

I would laugh if Detroit was forced back into the West after expansion but I dont think thats happening.
As Scotty Bowman said - the loss of divisional playoffs has killed many rivalries.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Realignment's officially official.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Detroit.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Realignment's officially official.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Detroit.
**** that! I don't want Detroit to leave. Though Columbus leaving means I get to see less Hawk games every year. This sucks ass.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeLincolnsGhost View Post
**** that! I don't want Detroit to leave. Though Columbus leaving means I get to see less Hawk games every year. This sucks ass.
We still play them twice a year. It is a waning rivalry.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Also, with this realignment, the NHL is effectively leaving the Hawks as the sole major draw in the entire West.

Sure, there are other decent draws, like the Nucks and the Kings and the Sharks, but they pale in comparison to the Original Six and Philly, imho, in terms of putting butts in the seats while on the road.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
This is a fantastic question.
I think the league's going to fall on a grenade to keep the Yotes in Arizona. But if they do intend to move them, it's practically a guarantee they've already settled on Seattle. There's no way they'd have made this realignment just to see PHX end up in Quebec and have the conferences even more imbalanced.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Only in this sport do people really care about geographical rivals. I mean seriously. Los Angeles and Anaheim are as far away from Vancouver as the Florida teams are from the northeast teams...and no one's saying how goofy THAT is. The time zones are what's important. Period.

Fact is, Florida and Tampa Bay just made out like bandits. They gained a season worth of home games against the likes of Boston, Ottawa, Detroit... Who do you think Panthers fans would rather see games against? Those three teams, or Washington and Carolina?

Most teams made out in some capacity, and lost in others. In Chicago we lost a great rivalry with Detroit. But we also ditched extra dates with Columbus. Also, we regained Minnesota who was a long time rival, and even got Dallas who used to be Minnesota. We got the Jets, our first Canadian divisional opponent since the Leafs went east. Never mind the Jets have many former Hawks on their team, and Toews is from Winnipeg. Colorado's also a great team to have as a division rival. I like it, overall. I don't like the imbalance, and I don't like the wildcard setup. But I love the divisions as a whole, and I REALLY love the return to the divisional playoff structure.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Exactly. Chicago to San Jose and Detroit to San Jose is basically the same god damn flight!
It's not about distance, it's about timezones. Playing out west for the Hawks is the equivalent to having a home game start at 9-9:30 PM local time. Playing out west for the Wings is the equivalent to playing a home game starting at 10-10:30 PM local time, and then playing til nearly 2 in the morning. Never mind what it's like trying to be a fan watching that game from home in Detroit. Detroit and Columbus were the only team in the league in a conference that had to routinely play across all four time zones. I hate losing Detroit, but they were due.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
It's not about distance, it's about timezones. Playing out west for the Hawks is the equivalent to having a home game start at 9-9:30 PM local time. Playing out west for the Wings is the equivalent to playing a home game starting at 10-10:30 PM local time, and then playing til nearly 2 in the morning. Never mind what it's like trying to be a fan watching that game from home in Detroit. Detroit and Columbus were the only team in the league in a conference that had to routinely play across all four time zones. I hate losing Detroit, but they were due.
Yeah, I know all of that.

The point was that we don't need to have a eastern/western set up. Last year's proposal fixed all this by cutting down the trips those teams make to the west, making them the same amount as the rest of the eastern time teams. That proposal was brilliant. This one they are going with sucks!

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote