HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Any of the Forwards Really Expendable?

Old
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

vCash: 500
Are Any of the Forwards Really Expendable?

Everyone seems to be suggesting Clarke MacArthur is expendable. Yeah he's playing well, and now would be a great time to move him. I get that and really wouldn't have an issue with it.

However why not try a setup that gives us three scoring lines?

Put Lupul back with Kessel and Bozak. It worked well last year and Lupul and Kessel had insane chemistry together.

Then move JVR to a line with Kadri/Frattin. Frattin and Kadri have already displayed their chemistry together multiple times (AHL playoffs, before Frattin went down this year), so it just makes sense to have them on the same line. Put JVR on the other side and give them some more time. Gives Kadri even more to work with and get creative.

Re-unite the MacA/Grabo/Kulemin line. Maybe MacArthur's hot streak catches on for Grabo/Kulemin. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give Grabo a more offensively talented linemate than McClement.

Push McClement to a line with Komarov and swap Orr/McLaren in and out with each other. 4th line becomes more defensively responsible but still has the toughness of Orr/McLaren and the tenacity of Komarov.

Role three scoring lines and one energy line.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
I have always said we need to keep everyone (except a fighter I.E Brown)

We need depth in the playoffs. If we move Steckel for a 4th, and then get a better spare center that can do more then faceoffs, we would be in good position.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
bobbyflex

there's no rush to do anything. Lupul is likely out for at least a couple more weeks. And the trade DL isn't for another month. Frattin will be back soon, but this will shift McClement down to the 4th line and Steckel to the pressbox.

A lot can change in 2-4 weeks

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Keep everyone - we're winning. If we make the playoffs, having this sort of depth on wing is going to help us.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Larcos_Unal

kulemin and grabbo are playing like they're begging to be traded.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Because it took 40 minutes for them to win a battle or race for a puck last night.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
kulemin and grabbo are playing like they're begging to be traded.
Kulemin? #6 in blocked shots in the league? The winger on our top PK unit with McClement that has catapulted our PK from league worst to pretty damn good? #5 in scoring on the team?

Begging to be traded, indeed.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Ricky Bobby

Trade CMac because he has value and doesn't fit with the team after this year because he'll command to much relative to his importance to the team.

CMac won't be the difference between us making or not making the playoffs.

Komarov/McClement are both capable of playing 3rd line (13-15 minutes a night).

The Leafs can't afford to potentially loss both Bozak and CMac for nothing as free agents. Bozak is more important now because he's a center so we keep him.

The Leafs are doing well but we aren't legitimate contenders for the cup yet and need to continue to stockpile assets to give Nonis lots of options moving forward that will allow him to eventually trade for that big center we need.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Canada4Gold

I think Mac is really benefitting from Kadri playing really well. I don't think his production will be all that great if the reunite KGM line. That worked for 1 year, and hasn't since.

When Frattin comes back you want him with Kadri again. You can ride Mac/Kadri/Frattin then for a while.

When Lupul comes back then I'm not sure what to do. You can't put Lupul with Grabo if that's a defensive line, but I think if you drop jvr to Grabo's line you will lose some of his production as again that line is more defensive.

The only other option would be to drop jvr to Kadri/Frattin, and trade Mac. If he keeps his production going with Kadri he might be able to fetch a decent return at the deadline. You always would prefer to sell high.

He's not that valuable to the team in the long run, unless Komarov is going to be on the 4th line long term you already have top 6 wingers which doesn't include mac. You can't pay him to be a 4th liner/reserve if someone gets hurt. I think it would be better asset management to trade him while his value is high when Lupul comes back/trade deadline.

he's a UFA in the offseason so assuming the team we trade him to doesn't resign him before the offseason we might be able to scoop him back up if we really wanted him back.

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Kingstonian84*

I think Grabo's expendable and here's why:

He's making $5.5M as the 2nd line centre and only has 10 points to show for it so far, wheras Kadri who is the 3rd liner has 23 pts and is proving he can do Grabo's job better. I really think Grabo needs to be cut loose, especially if we want to re-up Bozie and go after a guy like Getzlaf.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Larcos_Unal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I think Grabo's expendable and here's why:

He's making $5.5M as the 2nd line centre and only has 10 points to show for it so far, wheras Kadri who is the 3rd liner has 23 pts and is proving he can do Grabo's job better. I really think Grabo needs to be cut loose, especially if we want to re-up Bozie and go after a guy like Getzlaf.
we're gonna have to eat a lot of that salary if that were to happen.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Canada4Gold

Grabo is expendable but only if we get a legit #1 center to replace him(or a good #2 if we consider Kadri our #1). We could then move Bozak to the 3rd line to be our shutdown center, and we'd have cap space to get that center when we trade Grabo.

We could trade him and use Jay as out shutdown center but I'd rather not, that makes our center depth worse then it already is.

At the moment we have cap space so we can leave it as it is but if we make a free agent spalsh and need the room we can then trade him in the offseason to get that room. I don't think we move him this year unless the return is really good.

But in the longrun you can't pay a shutdown center 5.5 million per year. He either needs to be traded eventually or have a more offensive role.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Kingstonian84*

Grabo is expendable but only if we get a legit #1 center to replace him(or a good #2 if we consider Kadri our #1). We could then move Bozak to the 3rd line to be our shutdown center, and we'd have cap space to get that center when we trade Grabo.

Disagree we don't need a #1 to replace him, currently Grabo is the "checking line centre" if you want to call it that, Kadri can easily take over the 2nd line minutes. We'll need to bring in a cheap #3 though to replace Grabo, that OR use Mcclement as the shutdown guy for the rest of the season.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Didact
lucky number 13

trade Kadri while his value is high.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Canada4Gold

The point of moving Grabo is to open up cap space so that we can bring in a legit #1 center. If we don't then it's just as well to keep Grabo.

I don't like Bozak, Kadri, McClement as our top 3 centers. You don't move Grabo and not bring in another center in the process.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:33 PM
I Believe

Although i'm very happy with the way we've been playing so far, I still consider us to be rebuilding for the future.

If the right offer comes along, you have to consider it.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
The point of moving Grabo is to open up cap space so that we can bring in a legit #1 center. If we don't then it's just as well to keep Grabo.

I don't like Bozak, Kadri, McClement as our top 3 centers. You don't move Grabo and not bring in another center in the process.
Well, Bozak makes a good #3 but he's going to want Grabo-esque money, then Kadri's coming up as a RFA this year and based on his play he's going to want $4M plus. You can't have your top 3C's all making $4-5M, this is where Burke royally messed up by giving Grabo that monster contract, he wasn't using his brain. Bozak I'm fine with as long as he takes a $3M or less type deal, Grabo can go kick rocks, and Kadri deserves a $3.25-3.5M a year deal based on his play so far.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
The Winter Soldier

Pierre Lebrun one of the most respected Hockey Writers and Insiders just said on TSN radio, Grabo's contract will be a problem for the Leafs with his current play.

I do keep good company. Been saying that since he was signed for 5.5 x 5 years.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Larcos_Unal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Kulemin? #6 in blocked shots in the league? The winger on our top PK unit with McClement that has catapulted our PK from league worst to pretty damn good? #5 in scoring on the team?

Begging to be traded, indeed.
You don't pay a guy that much to be mediocre offensively, Kulemin is a ******* disaster in the offensive zone, absolutely clueless.

I don't care how good he is defensively, if he wants to be on the top 6, he should produce like it.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Prototype

I like Mac but move him when his value is high (read: now).

We have depth on the wings, and it never hurts to see what your prospect pool can do for you.

As for Grabo's line. He's been doing fine. They've asked them to become a shutdown line, and IIRC majority of their starts are in the defensive zone. They spend majority of their time protecting our house, and they do a pretty good job on most nights.

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
Although i'm very happy with the way we've been playing so far, I still consider us to be rebuilding for the future.

If the right offer comes along, you have to consider it.
Agreed! I hold no sentimental attachements to ANYONE on this team, if moving a player like Kessel or Kadri makes us better then pull the bloody trigger. The problem I have with a lot of leaf fans is they whine too much "oh I don't want to get rid of _________ because I like him too much or because I have his jersey", I don't roll that way and never have.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Didact
lucky number 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Agreed! I hold no sentimental attachements to ANYONE on this team, if moving a player like Kessel or Kadri makes us better then pull the bloody trigger. The problem I have with a lot of leaf fans is they whine too much "oh I don't want to get rid of _________ because I like him too much or because I have his jersey", I don't roll that way and never have.
you a "bad man".

Old
03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Pierre Lebrun one of the most respected Hockey Writers and Insiders just said on TSN radio, Grabo's contract will be a problem for the Leafs with his current play.

I do keep good company. Been saying that since he was signed for 5.5 x 5 years.
It was a very questionable suspect signing at the time and looks worse now.

McGuire on TSN radio this morning essentially said Grabo is a good player on a bad to medicore team but doesn't have a role on a good team. I can't disagree with that.

For now it isn't urgent that we trade Grabo because we need him because of lack of other options but I've been saying it since the day Grabo signed that deal I don't expect him to be here for the entire contract.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
You don't pay a guy that much to be mediocre offensively, Kulemin is a ******* disaster in the offensive zone, absolutely clueless.

I don't care how good he is defensively, if he wants to be on the top 6, he should produce like it.
You are being hard on Kule, No Mac to set him up anymore, all he does is chase down pucks for Grabo to shoot wide from all angles. It would help if he had someone to feed him the puck.

The 10 seconds he was on the ice with kadri this season, he scored. He would probably welcome a change in Center's. Going from Malkin to Grabo is feast to famine in the chances dept.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Didact
lucky number 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You are being hard on Kule, No Mac to set him up anymore, all he does is chase down pucks for Grabo to shoot wide from all angles. It would help if he had someone to feed him the puck.

The 10 seconds he was on the ice with kadri this season, he scored. He would probably welcome a change in Center's. Going from Malkin to Grabo is feast to famine in the chances dept.
here comes the excuses again.