HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 07:56 AM
edwardslane

vCash: 500
Gardiner and reilly.. we have to work them into the lineup!! haha so nice to say that. As long as no major injury happens we have a great blueline for years to come. As long as they develop properly.

Matt Finn will almost certainly get another full year in Junior after his bout with mono and now a knee injury ( Not as bad as through luckily, Baring an MRI)

Stuart Percy.. guessing he makes the jump to AHL full time next year.

Jesse Blacker.. Ready to compete for an NHL job. Eakins said he's been awesome this year when healthy... Could very well be trade bait as well.

Paul Ranger.. NHL proven defender. After a year playing in the AHL to get his game back as long as he stays Healthy he will def push for an NHL job next year if he so decides he wants to play in the NHL.

We can def afford to move some bodies.

Kostka (soon to be RFA) was a PPG Dman in the AHL but can't find the scoring Knack in the NHL. Kinda like Dupuis last year couldn't score as a 4th line NHLer but was a PPG player in the AHL.. Really a huge difference in both leagues.

Gunnerson is on a cap friendly contract but due for a raise as an RFA.. Mark fraser is an RFA next year.. i can see him taking a cap friendly contract as being a fringe NHLer in past seasons he'll take whatever money is tossed at him. and finally

Cody franson.. breakout year with the leafs and an RFA as well. He will likely get around 3 million per season if he keeps this up imo. that's a 3x raise on this year.

Where do we make a move?
Phaneuf X
Gardiner X
Reilly X

Imo these are the guys we build the team around. Who do we keep as X's we have about 10 dmen that can take the other 3 spots in the system. Good problem to have but you can't have all offensive dmen either. Glad i'm not making those decisions!

Old
03-11-2013, 08:02 AM
pspot

amazingly Wilson did the opposite with Franson last year and he said it was a big adjustment
right handed dmen are a premium and RW plays two together, classic lol

Old
03-11-2013, 08:06 AM
The Winter Soldier

Percy, Rielly, and Gardiner all prefer left defence, Finn can play right or left defence, as does Nilsson and Granberg. It's good to have a balance.

Right now Gardiner has to knock off Gunnarson if he wants to get in the lineup. He's the only left defenceman this is in a position to move, he's starting to get his game back after a mediocre month so unless he is moved, I don't expect Gardiner up here until he plays himself off the roster or he is moved.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:08 AM
alissa

two important updates

two important updates to this thread:

1) Dreger this morning (march 11, 7:50am) said on TSN Radio that a likely reason why gardiner is still down in the AHL is because there is simply 'no rush' to bring him up. He's getting better every day, playing big minutes, and it "can't hurt". He also mentioned that players like Kostka may not be in the Leafs long-term plans so playing them is the best way to market/shop them before the deadline. [Sidenote: Imagine getting a 2nd round pick for Kostka? And then replacing him in the line-up with Gardiner? Automatic upgrade, and a free pick.)

2) Bill Watters tweeted that Carlye does not like Lupul and Gardiner, and that they are in the same camp as a Komisarek and Liles...Yes. Lupul and Gardiner = Komisarek and Liles. Enough said. It's all baloni.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
sangreale

I was thinking that Gunnar was hurting a bit and he might be better served with a longer recovery but apparently that will not be the case.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
The Winter Soldier

Looks like Randy Carlyle and Dave Farrish are also intent on keeping Dion on his strong side, otherwise Gardiner may be up here, but I agree Gardiner is getting better on the farm team, he was more controlled yesterday afternoon than I saw him previously, where he was getting caught up ice with pinches/rushes. Eakins can help settle him down so he can be more selective with his offensive forays. He needs to create offence without sacrificing the defensive part, RC is a big believer in safe mins, and this is what he wants from Jake.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Looks like Randy Carlyle and Dave Farrish are also intent on keeping Dion on his strong side, otherwise Gardiner may be up here, but I agree Gardiner is getting better on the farm team, he was more controlled yesterday afternoon than I saw him previously, where he was getting caught up ice with pinches/rushes. Eakins can help settle him down so he can be more selective with his offensive forays. He needs to create offence without sacrificing the defensive part, RC is a big believer in safe mins, and this is what he wants from Jake.
Safe minutes?

We have been terrible ever since Liles has been in the press box.

If you compare GAA from then and now I bet there will be a huge difference.

We give up a lot of goals because of our defence inability to move the puck. Our third periods need to be better.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Safe minutes?

We have been terrible ever since Liles has been in the press box.

If you compare GAA from then and now I bet there will be a huge difference.

We give up a lot of goals because of our defence inability to move the puck. Our third periods need to be better.
Boston, Pittsburg, Montreal, NY Isles, Carolina are all in the upper half of GF in the NHL this year, perhaps it's the teams we are playing?

Regardless, if you are looking to shore up the defence GA, Gardiner is not the d man that RC will be looking for, if we need more offence, he is more logical.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
The Winter Soldier

Tampa Bay also, forgot them. 3rd in the NHL in GF.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post
Gardiner and reilly.. we have to work them into the lineup!! haha so nice to say that. As long as no major injury happens we have a great blueline for years to come. As long as they develop properly.

Matt Finn will almost certainly get another full year in Junior after his bout with mono and now a knee injury ( Not as bad as through luckily, Baring an MRI)

Stuart Percy.. guessing he makes the jump to AHL full time next year.

Jesse Blacker.. Ready to compete for an NHL job. Eakins said he's been awesome this year when healthy... Could very well be trade bait as well.

Paul Ranger.. NHL proven defender. After a year playing in the AHL to get his game back as long as he stays Healthy he will def push for an NHL job next year if he so decides he wants to play in the NHL.

We can def afford to move some bodies.

Kostka (soon to be RFA) was a PPG Dman in the AHL but can't find the scoring Knack in the NHL. Kinda like Dupuis last year couldn't score as a 4th line NHLer but was a PPG player in the AHL.. Really a huge difference in both leagues.

Gunnerson is on a cap friendly contract but due for a raise as an RFA.. Mark fraser is an RFA next year.. i can see him taking a cap friendly contract as being a fringe NHLer in past seasons he'll take whatever money is tossed at him. and finally

Cody franson.. breakout year with the leafs and an RFA as well. He will likely get around 3 million per season if he keeps this up imo. that's a 3x raise on this year.

Where do we make a move?
Phaneuf X
Gardiner X
Reilly X

Imo these are the guys we build the team around. Who do we keep as X's we have about 10 dmen that can take the other 3 spots in the system. Good problem to have but you can't have all offensive dmen either. Glad i'm not making those decisions!

this defence has me excited for the future

really good offense from reilly, gardiner and phaneuf
2 way abillity from finn, percy, blacker
shutdown abillity from granberg, nillson

i know we can only carry 6dman in a game, but man our future is set on defense

Still think blacker needs another half season next year with marlies, but if he has a good camp, than sure he can make it
good to know finn's is possibly not serious

Old
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
this defence has me excited for the future

really good offense from reilly, gardiner and phaneuf
2 way abillity from finn, percy, blacker
shutdown abillity from granberg, nillson

i know we can only carry 6dman in a game, but man our future is set on defense

Still think blacker needs another half season next year with marlies, but if he has a good camp, than sure he can make it
good to know finn's is possibly not serious
Let's just hope some of our D prospects turn out. Let's also hope that the wrong trades aren't made and we lose a prospect or two mistakenly!

Old
03-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post

If he does decide he wants to play in the NHL, there is no guarantee it will be with the Leafs. He is on an AHL only contract and is free to sign anywhere in the NHL.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Agreed. Can't stand the mentality that just because we win a game there are no flaws. Sooner or later these problems will catch up with the team, if they haven't already.
Exactly right, they did last year.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Al14

It makes sense that Carlyle is not fond of Gardiner. He was the Ducks coach when Gardiner was traded to the Leafs. His opinion must have been to trade him. No?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
If he does decide he wants to play in the NHL, there is no guarantee it will be with the Leafs. He is on an AHL only contract and is free to sign anywhere in the NHL.
I heard that Ranger will only continue to play hockey if he continues to reside in Toronto. Yes or no?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
There definitely is something going on.

It's called patience.

We aren't too familiar with it, because we are used to giving up on young players or throwing them to the wolves.
I'd agree with you if patience was the prudent option, but it's not. So I don't.

It's not like Gardiner's a physically immature teenager. He's a 22 year old talented-as-hell NHL-capable PMD playing for the farm team of a franchise that desperately needs mobility on the backend. Connect the dots.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Theres more to this. No one can get a straight answer out of the Leafs organization why hes not up here, when its clear he is ready. Dreger said he asks Nonis once a week why, and Nonis wont say. Gives him the generic "we love him, we love what hes doing, very happy with him etc"

Old
03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Theres more to this. No one can get a straight answer out of the Leafs organization why hes not up here, when its clear he is ready. Dreger said he asks Nonis once a week why, and Nonis wont say. Gives him the generic "we love him, we love what hes doing, very happy with him etc"
Maybe we are showcasing Kostka

Old
03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Gardiner was one of the best rookies in hockey last year.

you don't send that back to the minors.
He also played like absolute **** after his injury. He needed to go down to regain his game. And he has. Just a numbers game right now. Theres somewhat valuable assets that cannot be moved ATM on the big club that are clogging up the system. If you call up Gardiner, who goes down? Not Fraser, not Kostka, Komisarek has a NMC, Liles has waivers, Holzer has waivers. A trade is in the works no doubt.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
He also played like absolute **** after his injury. He needed to go down to regain his game. And he has. Just a numbers game right now. Theres somewhat valuable assets that cannot be moved ATM on the big club that are clogging up the system. If you call up Gardiner, who goes down? Not Fraser, not Kostka, Komisarek has a NMC, Liles has waivers, Holzer has waivers. A trade is in the works no doubt.
Actually.... Holzer I believe isn't eligble for waivers.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:41 AM
SplitLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I heard that Ranger will only continue to play hockey if he continues to reside in Toronto. Yes or no?
Yep, pretty sure that is the case. But as stated before, only if he wants to play at the NHL level.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Actually.... Holzer I believe isn't eligble for waivers.
My mistake, if Ive done the capgeek waiver calculator correctly he should have 40 or so games of waiver exemption left. I guess he could go down. Still thats a big clutter of defencemen that has to be resolved.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Neil Hamburger
Five Bagger!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
It makes sense that Carlyle is not fond of Gardiner. He was the Ducks coach when Gardiner was traded to the Leafs. His opinion must have been to trade him. No?
Carlyle was the Ducks coach while Gardiner was playing for the University of Wisconsin in the NCAA; I don't think he would have much of a say on Gardiner. Of course, Beauchemin was coming back and Carlyle loves him so he may have been on board with the trade.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Kingstonian84*

I could be wrong but I think Carlye/Eakins/Nonis feel the best thing for Gardiner IF he is on the leafs is to be getting top 4 minutes, but because there is a log jam, they feel he's better off getting top 4 minutes on the Marlies.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Clark4Ever

My buddy was at the Marlies game yesterday and told me that Gardiner looked exceptional, and stood out as the best player on the ice. I have no doubt he'll be recalled shortly once the roster spot issue is resolved.

Closed Thread