HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The best Defenceman not playing on the big club is Morgan Rielly, maybe when Moose Jaw's season is over.
He's not even a NHL player, let alone the best defenseman the Leafs have. Perhaps he is most talented, but talent alone doesn't make you a NHLer.

He was underwhelming playing against the best boys his own age group and you want to throw him against the best men? Isn't it time to groom these guys before setting them up for failure?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
02-28-2013, 08:23 AM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He's not even a NHL player, let alone the best defenseman the Leafs have. Perhaps he is most talented, but talent alone doesn't make you a NHLer.

He was underwhelming playing against the best his own age group and you want to throw him against the best men? Isn't it time to groom these guys before setting them up for failure?
Reilly is good 2-3 years away. We don't know what Reilly will bring, but we know what Gardiner will bring. We have seen and tested the latter one intensively

Old
02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Interactif

Quote:

He was underwhelming playing against the best his own age group and you want to throw him against the best men? Isn't it time to groom these guys before setting them up for failure?
That's a cop out Ulf, Left winger Galchenyuk was not a NHL player after his mediocre WJC, where he played behind Troecheck, Biggs, and Grimaldi. He seems to be a NHL player this year.

Rielly is easily the most talented and ready impact player we have not playing on the big club.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
Reilly is good 2-3 years away. We don't know what Reilly will bring, but we know what Gardiner will bring. We have seen and tested the latter one intensively
I disagree, for intelligent, high I Q players, like Rielly is. Some can make the jump sooner.

Jesse Blacker is 2 or 3 years away and he is 4 years older, you can't peg all players into the same box.

Some develop sooner like Skinner, and some later like Kadri.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:30 AM
fahad203

Quote:
I disagree, for intelligent, high I Q players, like Rielly is. Some can make the jump sooner.

Jesse Blacker is 2 or 3 years away and he is 4 years older, you can't peg all players into the same box.

Some develop sooner like Skinner, and some later like Kadri.
I am not worried about his skill level or whether he can play or not.

Look at the rash of injuries now, you bring a kid in who's not fully physically matured, you are sending him to the wolves. Including Skinner, he was brought up too soon, he's simply not strong enough to take the beating night in night out.

Let him play in AHL for few years, get stronger and with Dallas Eakins, really understand the game.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's a cop out Ulf, Left winger Galchenyuk was not a NHL player after his mediocre WJC, where he played behind Troecheck, Biggs, and Grimaldi. He seems to be a NHL player this year.

Rielly is easily the most talented and ready impact player we have not playing on the big club.
Galchenyuk is being spotted, playing 12:30 a night. He had 8 points Biggs 1.

Rielly's talent is irrelevant if he's overmatched.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Galchenyuk is being spotted, playing 12:30 a night. He had 8 points Biggs 1.

Rielly's talent is irrelevant if he's overmatched.
Yeah, he had those points against weak teams early in the Tourney and when it did not matter as much. Let's not get into a points discussion, After the USA lost to Russia and Canada, Troechek, Biggs, Grimaldi were keys to winning the Gold for the USA, Gally was essentially benched by Housley the final 3 games after USA lost to Canada.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:44 AM
APV

Pretty sure this thread is useless unless Gards was on a plane to NY with the team last night...

My guess is we see him Monday IF the team loses tonight (unfortunately). I personally wanted to see him back after the Ottawa disaster.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Prototype

Watched the Marlies yesterday. Gardiner sprung Deschamp for at least 3 partial breakaways. Unreal vision and passes.

He also had great lots of great chances and looked good on the PP. Would love to see him up, but it's not because he's not ready/recovered. It's because we need to make some trades

Old
02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Pretty sure this thread is useless unless Gards was on a plane to NY with the team last night...

My guess is we see him Monday IF the team loses tonight (unfortunately). I personally wanted to see him back after the Ottawa disaster.
I can't wait to see Gardiner's rushes again. He was a treat to watch

Old
02-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Send Holzer to the AHL. Trade Kostka...

Try to trade Komisarek, if it's not possible, ask him to agree to being sent down to the Marlies if roster space is a problem. Bring up Gardiner.

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Gardiner-Liles
Franson-Fraser.

That's a much better D.

In games where players just don't have it in them to compete, a guy like Gardiner could come very handy.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Trade Liles, call up Gardiner and do something about Komisarek.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Trade Kostka? Are you insane? The guy is underrated. Our D core is set for the future with Gardiner, Finn and Rielly.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
smitty10

Send down or trade Kostka + Liles and insert Gardiner.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
I am not worried about his skill level or whether he can play or not.

Look at the rash of injuries now, you bring a kid in who's not fully physically matured, you are sending him to the wolves. Including Skinner, he was brought up too soon, he's simply not strong enough to take the beating night in night out.

Let him play in AHL for few years, get stronger and with Dallas Eakins, really understand the game.
It's a nice sentiment, but it's really unlikely to turn out like that. Rielly couldn't even start a season with the Marlies until after another WHL season. There's just no way you would have Rielly not with the team for 3+ years.

It's a good idea to let guys become strong enough, but in the end it's all about the individual situation. How much a guy is going to get knocked around depending on his playstyle and taking into consideration his conditioning. Some guys are never going to be durable even if you wait 10 years after they get drafted.

In terms of Rielly we'll see where he is at camp. Will be getting plenty of time with the Marlies this year when his team doesn't make the playoffs.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:03 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Trade Kostka? Are you insane? The guy is underrated. Our D core is set for the future with Gardiner, Finn and Rielly.
I agree, I can't believe how underrated Kostka has become.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Send Holzer to the AHL. Trade Kostka...

Try to trade Komisarek, if it's not possible, ask him to agree to being sent down to the Marlies if roster space is a problem. Bring up Gardiner.

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Gardiner-Liles
Franson-Fraser.

That's a much better D.

In games where players just don't have it in them to compete, a guy like Gardiner could come very handy.
Who would be our 7th D?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

I'd been wanting Dion to be traded but I know that's not gonna happen. You need guys like Kostka and Fraser. Steady Dman then insert Gardiner who is good with the puck. You'll see a much improved defence.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Who would be our 7th D?
Most likely Komisarek..because I don't think we can trade him and he won't agree to go to the Marlies.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:20 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Gardiner-Kostka
Franson-Fraser
Holzer

Old
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Most likely Komisarek..because I don't think we can trade him and he won't agree to go to the Marlies.
Maybe us fans should hoard him with tweets telling him to ask to be sent down to the Marlies.
https://twitter.com/mkomisarek

Then we can call up Gardiner.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:25 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Send down or trade Kostka + Liles and insert Gardiner.
Well we only have to send down or trade one of them to get Gardiner in the lineup. I'd think it would be Liles, then buyout Komi this offseason.

This Year/Next Year:

Gard-Phaneuf
Gunnar-Kostka/Holzer/Komi
Fraser-Franson

Old
02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It's a nice sentiment, but it's really unlikely to turn out like that. Rielly couldn't even start a season with the Marlies until after another WHL season. There's just no way you would have Rielly not with the team for 3+ years.

It's a good idea to let guys become strong enough, but in the end it's all about the individual situation. How much a guy is going to get knocked around depending on his playstyle and taking into consideration his conditioning. Some guys are never going to be durable even if you wait 10 years after they get drafted.

In terms of Rielly we'll see where he is at camp. Will be getting plenty of time with the Marlies this year when his team doesn't make the playoffs.
Rielly can play in junior as a 19 year old. Won't kill him and the Leafs will still have enough defenders to sit some, and Percy and Granberg could be with the Marlies.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Interactif

We are in a playoff position due to guys like Kostka, Holzer, and Fraser. I don't see RC or Nonis, demoting them due anytime soon. Not unless this team goes into the dumper.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
I agree, I can't believe how underrated Kostka has become.
Glancing at the "Kostka Contract" thread from about a week ago, and some of the ridiculous numbers thrown around in there, I think it's safe to say he's become overrated by Leafs fans.

Closed Thread