HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

3-2 tough loss

Old
02-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Sergei Berezin
You're Wrong

vCash: 500
Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but I didn't see Franson all third period. Did he get benched or injured?

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:00 AM
TMLeafer
The Blueprint.

Pretty nice event at the ACC. Probably had ~7-8k people there? It was a good experience. But watching the game on the screen in the upper bowl was difficult, I couldn't see the puck, time left or anything.

As for the game, DAMMIT. What a bummer at the end. Second period was entertaining. I thought the Leafs didn't get enough clean looks at the Sens net. Gunnarsson needs to sit. And Grabo hasn't won a clutch faceoff this season I don't think. McClement is on his wing and I don't know why he doesn't take defensive zone draws instead?

Kadri looked really good.

You can't give up goals in the last minute of two periods and expect to do too well.

Oh, by the way, Alfredsson got booed in two arenas at once.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
Very true. They underperformed. However, Carlyle's decision making at the time is very easy to second guess and that shouldn't be the case. If he had called a timeout and put Bozak out there and then the Sens scored I don't think anyone could be quite as critical; it would have at least showed that he did everything at the moment to make sure we didn't get scored on in the last minute. It was massively shortsighted and hopefully it doesn't have a huge effect on the season. That's one big strike for Randy. Two more and it's time for Eakins. Don't get me wrong, I love the team this year and I think Randy is doing quite well in general, i just hate a glaring error like this and I really don't like his ripping on Grabo and Scrivs in the post game. Any other time sure, but not tonight when he played a big part in the loss. I could see the team start to resent him for that kind of stuff.
It's the coach's job to critique his players after the game. What's what he's doing. Not saying he's a perfect coach, but he's a hell of a lot better than anything we've had in recent years. The players played like ****. Despite that, we were in a tied game and were starting to really pick our game up. We could have easily walked out of Ottawa with a victory. Grabo and especially Scrivens blew this one. Glad Randy threw them under the bus. Well deserved.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Randy is fine.

He's holding them accountable, Something some may not be use to.
carlyle got out coached tonight.
he should blame himself tonight
he said srivens should of moved the puck, if he did and they scored , he would of been ripped for that.
carlyle should of put his best out there for the last faceoff in our zone, if we would of got scored on ,then he can talk.
bozak best faceoff % in defensive zone in the league.
sundin allways took those faceoffs, no excuses

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:01 AM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
He's holding players accountable for their actions.
Yup. I'm fine with that. Tonight it kind of bothers me just because He did screw up. There's no question. He had the wrong guy on the ice taking the draw. How could anybody say otherwise? So when he rips guys for losing but has himself played a significant part it irks me and hopefully it doesn't irk the players. In Scrivens post game he contradicts Randy. How can this be a good thing?

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:01 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

grabovsky's in caryle's bad book now?
make a note of that..

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
It's the coach's job to critique his players after the game. What's what he's doing. Not saying he's a perfect coach, but he's a hell of a lot better than anything we've had in recent years. The players played like ****. Despite that, we were in a tied game and were starting to really pick our game up. We could have easily walked out of Ottawa with a victory. Grabo and especially Scrivens blew this one. Glad Randy threw them under the bus. Well deserved.
what he did tonight, will haunt this team going forward
watch on monday
he was the blame, not putting his best out there, out coached

Old
02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Yup. I'm fine with that. Tonight it kind of bothers me just because He did screw up. There's no question. He had the wrong guy on the ice taking the draw. How could anybody say otherwise? So when he rips guys for losing but has himself played a significant part it irks me and hopefully it doesn't irk the players. In Scrivens post game he contradicts Randy. How can this be a good thing?
wilson starting to happen again.
hope this 18 wheeler does not go over the cliff

Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
make a note of that..
I think other players are too
Paul Hendrick asked if kadri line was the best line tonight (it looked more like him saying that than a question)
Carlyle said '' I can't assess that''

mikebel111* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
That is fresh... Gunnarson has always been soft in his coverage in front of the net. That is goal #5 on the season that's on him for being soft in front of the net it's not 1 game this stretches well into last season.

Kostka is a stronger version of him rather you see it or not, the game winner tonight would not have happen if either of the other 5 D men were on that assignment. Gunnerson is trade bait the faster he's moved the faster this team could get Gardiner back in the lineup cause they do miss what he could provide. If your going to have a soft D men make sure he's true puck mover cause vs dump and chase teams guys like Gunnerson that are tweeners get exposed
You're right, I've never seen Gunnar lay the lumber and deck any guy standing in front of the net like the way Komi or Schenn did it -- I could take the goals more easily if he did that.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

You can make a case for the faceoff, but that's it.

Scrivens freezing the puck, letting up the rebound, and Gunnarsson letting Greening get to the net, that's all poor plays made by each as an individual.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:08 AM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Cup67
Lay off the hate, will ya?
Your actually saying carlyle could be wilson 2.0
Good lord

Old
02-24-2013, 12:09 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

thx to danish global moderator(ottawa forum) for his perspective,who was at the game:

"man, what a game. Real gutsy performance by the guys. It wasnt as pretty as a game with our stars would be, but the sens looked like the better team most of the night, completely outworking the other team. Kudos to the coaching staff as well, it's clear that they were the better staff in preparation for tonight.

Alfredsson had a very very good night. Just solid all around and leading the attack quite often.
- Bishop looked a bit shakey on his glove hand, missing a few pucks (but still making the save by deflecting it). I expected after noticing it that the leafs would shoot glove more often, but didnt notice a real adjustment.
- Solid job by our patchwork defense. Yes, there were a couple of mistakes and giveaways, but overall the entire group deserves a big pat on the back. Extra applause for benoit on that block, sens fans went wild for him there.

leafs:
-scrivens has serious rebound control issues.
-kessel was the most dangerous player on the ice from both teams. You could tell he was the only real star player in the game. To their credit, the sens defense did a good job taking the pass away from him, and bishop did the rest.
-leafs defense looked really lost at some times. Gunnarson was the worst i think, but phaneuf, especially early, had a ton of giveaways defensively and misplays at the blue line offensively."

Old
02-24-2013, 12:09 AM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
I think other players are too
Paul Hendrick asked if kadri line was the best line tonight (it looked more like him saying that than a question)
Carlyle said '' I can't assess that''
Yeah. He was really noticeably dismissive of that question. Wouldn't even say Kadri played well. He's kind of a weird coach but I like his in game methods so far (for the most part).

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
make a note of that..
To be fair, I think Carlyle is still testing out this team to see what kind of players he's got to work with. Though tonight, he'd obviously chose a bad time to do it.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Yeah. He was really dismissive of that question. Wouldn't even say Kadri played well. He's kind of a weird coach but I like his game methods so far (for the most part).
I think it's one of the very few times he has shown his grumpy side to the media. Even he's moaning from this tough loss.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:12 AM
ECanuck
Young Gunz

Quote:
What? No. Smith would have handed him his ass.
My point was Smith was trying to draw a penalty and i think he looks weak in that video. Like he's trying too hard. Kadri's a little guy, there are plenty of big guys on the leafs that Smith could have pulled that **** on. I wouldn't get all that excited about that video. It would be like Leafs fans getting super pumped at the video of Orr grabbing Gionta. We didn't care or think it was some really cool display of toughness.
But we know Orr will fight anyone on any team. Smith on the other hand will be picking up his teeth after Orr is done with his smile.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
The guy has been playing great for the situation he's been put in.
Don't think anyone is doubting that. At least, they shouldn't be.

There's a mixture of opinions tonight, and both of them are wrong:

The camp that are writing this guy off and crucifying him for one game, labelling him a career back up after an admittedly tough night.

And then the other camp that are suggesting that because he's had a great run so far, that tonight can almost go unacknowledged or ignored.

Truth is the discussion on Scrivens needs to be somewhere in the middle; he's had some very good games, and has really done this team a massive service by providing them with great goaltending to have them where they are right now. But at the same time, has shown now repeated issues with consistency; that's something that he has to work on.

It incidentally is the same thing that pretty much every young goaltender struggles with when trying to break into the league.

Keep the faith - he deserves our backing; without his goaltending, we would be sitting somewhere at the bottom of the conference with a doom and gloom about this team because Reimer's been out, etc.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Yeah. He was really dismissive of that question. Wouldn't even say Kadri played well. He's kind of a weird coach but I like his game methods so far (for the most part).
It looks like it's tough to earn his respect
Coaches make errors, it happens
This game he made an error,
He is still a good coach

Old
02-24-2013, 12:13 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Yeah. He was really dismissive of that question. Wouldn't even say Kadri played well. He's kind of a weird coach but I like his in game methods so far (for the most part).
this could be the start of something bad to happen, different carlyle tonight.
lets hope the players dont start to tune him out, now that he is starting to throw them under the bus.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:15 AM
OneSharpMarble

I don't know why you guys are ******** on Scrivens, those chances were pretty damn unstoppable IMO. His rebound control needs work but isn't this his first season in the NHL?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Badger Mayhew*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
this could be the start of something bad to happen, different carlyle tonight.
lets hope the players dont start to tune him out, now that he is starting to throw them under the bus.
You are literally the worst poster on these boards. You don't even make any sense.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:20 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
We have some of the dumbest fan base.

GTFO
yeah it's obviously sarcasm
i'm suprised you didnt pick up on it

his numbers are great:
2.19 2so .929

Old
02-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I don't know why you guys are ******** on Scrivens, those chances were pretty damn unstoppable IMO. His rebound control needs work but isn't this his first season in the NHL?
Well, he gave the Sens those second chances, didn't he?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:26 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
You are literally the worst poster on these boards. You don't even make any sense.
Amen to that. He's one of the ever-growing contingent of posters on our boards who simply post to evoke a response and hope to **** off actual fans.

Some of them are more well hidden.. This guy is just babbling nonsense.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote