HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-2 tough loss

Old
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Al14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Probably the only good thing about the loss: We don't have to hear the Sens fans whine about their injured players.
Yes, but now they're going to claim how much better their team is going to be for the playoffs when they get them back.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
I don't care what the commentators were saying Grabovski was horrible... He was turning the puck around all night
He was dangling the puck a few times but didn't seem to connect. I don't think he's using his linemates that effectively either. The first goal initiated by McClement shows that he does have a scoring touch.

Moreover, I think Kulemin has been snake-bitten. He doesn't have the playmaking abilities of Kessel so his offensive tool set is quite limited. The fact that he, ditto for Grabs, Kessel, haven't been able to produce goals is what's limiting the Leafs.

Let's hope that guys start scoring again. Otherwise, we're really going to need Frattin. Nonetheless, I'm amazed that the Leafs are still contending despite sub-par performance by the core.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Scrivens bobbled two pucks that ended up in the net.

We played an alright game, but **** happens. Heck, right before that, Kostka was all alone in the slot and missed the net. If that goes in, or even hits the goalie, the sens don't go the other way and score.

However, I am impressed with this Sens team. Down their #1 D, #1 C #1 G and #1 RW and they are still on a 4 game win streak.

Hopefully Reimer is ready for Monday.
Isn't Reimer an early March return? Scrivens or Rynnas for at least another 2-3 games.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:07 PM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Why? There was no icing, I don't believe that group was on the ice all that long. How come Grabo never took Greening to the net?

Blame the coach but it is not his fault they couldn't complete a pass all night, showed little to no passion and his goalie couldn't even hang onto the puck. Scrivens is looking at the ref too much-just make a play. If anything he should have moved that puck because he had numbers and we wouldn't even talk about this one. 2nd and 3rd goals are all Scrivens, he didn't play well and makes you wonder if he can really be a back up NHL goalie.
Yeah, Scrivens isn't that good but he's not supposed to be our #1. The coach is supposed to read and understand the deficiencies in our game and then do whatever he can to minimize them. Grabo is not great at faceoffs but Bozak is (and Steckel sorta). I don't think Carlyle will ever handle things the same way in a similar situation in the future. He should have had his best defensive players and faceoff guy on the ice. Regardless of whether Scrivens sucks and that was a sweet tip out of the air on the rebound, it would have set the tone if he had gone all out defensively.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
daveleaf

I honestly think we may need another goalie here. I like Scrivens and all but not impressed the last few games. He let the T-bay game get out of hand and now tonight with really mental blunders. I like Franson with Phaneuf, I like Holzer, I just believe we should have had Liles in there instead of Kostka.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lordsithis

Why is no one complaining that JvR and Kessel were invisible?

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:08 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
he has great defensive awareness...if you go see a game..you see this in person.
i know i know

but he doesnt want to get involved at all in the offensive end
for someone with all that size and skill it must drive RC crazy

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
I have been!!!

Old
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
Because it was Scrivens fault 100%

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daisy Jane
Busy Leafy Summer ♥

here are the standings:

1: Montreal (26pts)
2: Pittsburgh (24pts)
3: Carolina (17 points) <<---- I am going to say right now, with all these changes they are making, they should change so if you win your division, you are guaranteed a playoff spot but not necessarily home ice. Come ON)

4: Ottawa (24 points)
5: NJ (24 points - they lost tonight)
6: Boston (22 points)
7: Leafs (22 points)
8: Philidelphia (19).

losing the loser point tonight, makes Monday's game all of a sudden a must win.

Daisy Jane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
Scrivens is easily the worst puckhandling goalie in the league, I dare you to prove me wrong. He gifted two points tonight, I can't wait for Reims to get back in the crease.
I can't prove you wrong, but Reimer is also a pretty bad puck handler. Every time they go behind the net and there's forecheckers pressuring I cringe at what they might do.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Lolololol would've rather lost 2-1. That was ugly.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jimmycarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
He doesn't get paid $3.25m a year for defensive awareness, he gets paid to be a 200 foot player, Kuli's been clueless with the puck for the past two years...I want him gone ASAP.
no, i know, but he is doing alot of things away from the puck you don't see on tv. im trying to be positive.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Some terrible rebounds by Scrivens. Gun was not good as well.
Gunnarson is not good in front of the net. He NEVER WAS but people for some freaking reason like to think he's underrated for some reason. He's not a shut down guy nor is he a puck mover, he's a tweener that doesn't match up vs lunch pale dump and chase teams his soft play gets exposed vs those teams because of that.

That play in front of the net he's been responsible of missed assignment for goals against is the 5th on the year that's on him 3rd since his return but all you ever hear is b!tching about Kostka being and AHLer when he's twice as good as Gunnerson on these types of plays.

Gunnerson is trade bait hopefully this will open up some eyes in the organization and get a legit puck mover back on D either Liles or Gardiner NEED to be in the line up in place of this guy.

I hate to bring this up right now, you know kick a guy while he's down scenario but it's getting tiring to listen to all this Gunnerson love... people should open up there eyes this is normal from Gunnerson and for some reason we turn a blind eye cause he's suppose to be underrated when he really isn't that good defensively.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rare Jewel
Patience

If Gunnarsson is hurt(hip), Then he needs to come out. I commend him for trying, But he's not doing himself or the team any favours.

Scirvens: Needs to go; I hate blaming one player, But if he hold his rebounds better Ottawa only scored one tonight. Awful night for him.

Kulemin: Time to cash him into Pittsburgh. I can more than accept than he's not a 30 goal scorer, But he doesn't even look he'll get 10 this year.

Grabo: I'd loan him back CSKA. Or a more likely scenario is move him to the wing. Wing Kadri and Macarther.

Horrible 1st set the tone of the game, And it ended the same way.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
shaner89

Scrivens is god awful. No rebound control, no hockey sense. Lost this game for us.

Hurry the **** up Reimer before we blow the season

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Liminality

Scrivens didn't lose the game for the Leafs. The Leafs didn't work as hard as the Sens and were outplayed. Very tough to watch when you're still in the game.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sundinftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No Lupul, Frattin or Gardiner? You dont think thats hurting our offense?
What an apologist. Also, your arguments have practically 0 substance.

Are you seriously pointing to injuries as a defence here, when we just lost to a team without michalek, spezza, cowen, EK, and anderson? Note the last two players have been the best at their respective positions in the league this season.

Also, we are fully capable of giving a much better offensive effort without those players. Productivity isn't just defined by points, but also by sustained pressure. The leafs have done that consistently for the past few games, so why couldn't they do it today? Because there's no Lupul and Frattin? I think not. Also, if you've been watching the MARLIES at all, you'd know Gardiner has not been the same player that we saw last year.

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

Well Reims and Frattin should be back this week. Or is that just Leafs PR Bs?

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
marshmachine

Poor team effort, can't blame Scrivens, the team didn't come to play tonight and the puck didn't bounce their way.

marshmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
playasRus

All other games without Karlsson have been a snoozefest but this one was very fun!

Good to see the Battle of Ontario is still heated.

GG Leafers.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jimmycarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Scrivens didn't lose the game for the Leafs. The Leafs didn't work as hard as the Sens and were outplayed. Very tough to watch when you're still in the game.
no, yeah he did. shaner is right for once.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Al14

Kulemin needs to be shipped to Pittsburgh. He'll score a ton of goals there because he sure isn't able to contribute wearing a Leafs uni.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Isn't Reimer an early March return? Scrivens or Rynnas for at least another 2-3 games.
Reimer is on the trip with the team, which I would think there is a decent chance he could play Monday.

Tonight and Monday are the only road games. So it's not like its a long road trip, if there wasn't a chance he could play, he wouldn't have been brought on the trip and stayed back with Lupul, Orr, etc

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
He was dangling the puck a few times but didn't seem to connect. I don't think he's using his linemates that effectively either. The first goal initiated by McClement shows that he does have a scoring touch.

Moreover, I think Kulemin has been snake-bitten. He doesn't have the playmaking abilities of Kessel so his offensive tool set is quite limited. The fact that he, ditto for Grabs, Kessel, haven't been able to produce goals is what's limiting the Leafs.

Let's hope that guys start scoring again. Otherwise, we're really going to need Frattin. Nonetheless, I'm amazed that the Leafs are still contending despite sub-par performance by the core.
yep Frattin is a guy we really missed tonight IMO. Leafs just need to finish the month 2-3 games above .500... Then when Frattin, Reimer come back reload for the second half of the season. How we play in march will determine if this team makes it in the playoffs... March is a really tough month we play Boston 3 times, the Devils, Hurricanes etc so it's going to be a tough. I hate missing easy points like this because when you struggle later on you need these points to survive. It's only a matter of time before Philly catches fire.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote