HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers vs Stars | 6:30PM | SNET | Dubey Does Dallas Vol.3 |

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
488fitter

vCash: 210
Oilers vs Stars | 6:30PM | SNET | Dubey Does Dallas Vol.3 |

28.02.13 @ 6:30PM | RADIO HERE | STREAM HERE OR HERE

TEAM COMPARISON
STAT
GP
W
L
OT
P
P%
G/G
GA/G
PP%
PK%
S/G
SA/G
FO%

EDMONTON OILERS (7-7-4)

WHO TO WATCH

- Taylor Hall returns to action tonight after serving a two game suspension for his hit on Cal Clutterbuck last Thursday. Hall is currently second on the team in points, racking up 16 points in 16 games played. He should be well rested after his short layoff, so look for him to be the engine of the Oilers offence tonight.

- Jamie Benn didn't start the season in the Stars lineup, but after getting a new deal done, the newly signed RFA has begun to heat up for his club. He has piled up 14 points in 15 games so far this year for the stars.

DALLAS STARS (10-8-2)

OILERS NEWS
KHABIBULIN'S INJURY

After a day off on Tuesday, the Edmonton Oilers returned to the ice Wednesday for an afternoon practice at the American Airlines Center.

The news of the day came early in the morning when the Oilers announced that Nikolai Khabibulin was being placed on the injured reserve. Yann Danis was called up from nearby Oklahoma City and joined the team at practice.

Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger said that Khabibulin had initially tweaked his groin in the shootout on Saturday against Phoenix but he recovered from that prior to Monday's contest in Chicago.

"On the last play of the game, when he went across on Sharp's second shot in OT before the Hossa triple rebound he felt the same kind of tweak (that he had in Phoenix) so initially we thought it was going to run the same course, that it was going to go away but as we traveled on the plane and we arrived yesterday he was inactive for awhile and it got cold. It was quite clear that it was worse than after the Phoenix game and as a result we're going to send him home for an assessment. He'll get proper medical care there to have an MRI."

Because the Oilers are carrying the maximum amount of skaters, in order to call up Danis the team needed to make a roster move. With Khabibulin heading back to Edmonton, it made sense to put him on injured reserve to free up that spot.

"We put him on IR so that gives us one week minimum. Yes, he could be back on this trip if everything went optimally but we're going to take our time on this one as we got a first warning in Phoenix. It is an injury that was just slight but did get worse."

Krueger said that he wasn't worried about the injury given Khabibulin's ability to bounce back from prior injuries on a regular basis.

"It's not worrisome. He's just been amazing in his recoveries. We need to monitor it, he's given us some good games. We've got a good duo here and are exciting to have Dubie back in but we have to take it very seriously and as a result we're very slow to move on him being active. We really want this to be dealt with properly. We need Khabi back."

Khabibulin spoke to the media after practice.

"I felt it a little bit in the goal in overtime when Sharp took it across. It was okay after the game but the next morning it was a little bit more sore. We checked it out and they want me to see the doctors," he said.

Considering how well Khabibulin had been playing this season, with a goals-against average (GAA) of 2.11 and save percentage of .935, he admitted that this setback is frustrating for him.

"It's frustrating because I felt I was starting to get more comfortable and starting to get a little playing time. It's almost like a setback. Hopefully it's not going to be too long but I have to go through practices and workouts and practices to get ready again for the next time."

Khabibulin's save percentage ranked him in a tie with Ottawa's Ben Bishop for third in the NHL in that category. He also ranks in the top 10 in the NHL for GAA.

DUBNYK RETURNS

With the injury to Khabibulin, Devan Dubnyk will return between the pipes on Thursday for his first action in a week.

"There's never been anything but a confidence in both goaltenders," said Krueger. "It was a stomach feeling on Khabibulin in Chicago with his past there. With the energy he took out of winning the (shootout), it was nothing more than that. Devan Dubnyk has been excellent for us this year. He had some really strange bounces in his last game but we've never seen anything but an excellent duo and Devan Dubnyk is fresh and ready to go with this challenge ahead."

Dubnyk's last start was a 3-1 loss at Rexall Place against the Minnesota Wild. He stated that he was looking forward to getting back in between the pipes.

"It's a good opportunity to get lots of games in here. Obviously, I was ready to go anyway but Khabi was playing great so there's nothing wrong with that when a guy gets going like that. We need the points, especially in the short season. It's fine by me but certainly looking forward to playing lots here."

Dubnyk also said that while he wasn't hoping for a week off, he did take it as an opportunity to work on his game with the added practice time.

"You have to look at any situation as a good one. Do I want a week off? No, but if I'm going to get one and Khabi's playing great like that then that's fine. I'll take the week off to work on some things in practice. In a short season we won't get a lot of practice so it's an opportunity to go out there and work on some things you might not get a chance to work on."

WHIRLWIND 8 HOURS FOR DANIS

Yann Danis didn't have a lot of time to pack and prepare for what could be a very lengthy time on the road with the Oilers. He was between the pipes three hours up the road in Oklahoma City last night helping the Barons to a 3-2 win over Dallas' AHL affiliate the Texas Stars, stopping 21 of 23 shots. After the game he was told to be on an early morning flight for Dallas.

"I was told right after the game last night. I had a 6:45 flight this morning," said Danis, noting he hasn't been told how long he might be with the team. "I really don't know. I'm going to take it one game at a time."

Danis said that the Barons season has been inconsistent since a good chunk of the roster migrated north at the end of the NHL lockout.

"It's been up and down," he said. "We won last night but we're struggling a little bit with consistency. We haven't won three, four games in a row. It's always win one or two then lose one or two."

The Barons are tied for ninth in the Western Conference, two points behind Chicago for the eighth and final playoff spot. Danis said he was happy to be back in the NHL.

"Obviously this is where I want to be. Every time I get a chance to be here I take full advantage of it and keep myself ready. If the team needs me to go, I'll be ready."

Krueger was non-committal when asked whether Danis might see some action on this trip, particularly with several back-to-back situations with the first coming this Friday in St. Louis.

"Every single day we're going to try to do what's best on that day for us and after the game we'll assess and go day-to-day. I have no idea who's going to be playing games two, three, four, five, six. Right now Devan is ready to go and hopefully everything goes properly so he can hold this net for awhile."

LINE COMBINATIONS

With the addition of Taylor Hall who is returning from suspension, there will be a shake up to the forward lines from the past two contests.

On Wednesday, Hall skated with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle on the top line. Ryan Jones was moved to the left side and skating with Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky.

On the third line, Ryan Smyth was skating with Eric Belanger and Nail Yakupov while Ben Eager, Chris VandeVelde and Lennart Petrell made up the fourth unit. Magnus Paajarvi was subbing in on the right side with Gagner and Jones.

On defence, the two Schultzs were skating together as well as Ladislav Smid and Jeff Petry. The one change was that Mark Fistric was skating with Theo Peckham and Corey Potter was with Ryan Whitney.

It was not apparent which of the final two pairings will make the cut tomorrow night and Coach Krueger did not tip his hand.

"We will announce our lineup tomorrow morning. We've had a couple of days and want to assess the total situation. Steve Smith's been allowed to stay with his family (in Chicago), he's coming in in a few hours here and I'll sit down with him and we'll call that lineup in the morning tomorrow."

If Fistric plays, he remarked that he is looking forward to facing his old team but admitted it is strange to be in the visitors room.

"It's a little awkward, coming in here on the other side, other bench. It kind of felt surreal going out there and having a practice as an Oiler and not as a Star," he began. "I spent a lot of time here and enjoyed my years here."

Ryan Whitney has been a healthy scratch in seven of the last 11 games and was hoping for the opportunity to return to the lineup soon, perhaps tomorrow. He remarked that while he might be upset about the situation he has made a point to not let it affect his attitude when interacting with his teammates.

"I don't necessarily agree with not playing and I want to play but at the same time I'm not going to try to make it a sideshow or anything like that. I've got really good friends on this time who I root for every night when we play. As pissed off as I am, it's not just about me really."

-- Marc Ciampa, edmontonoilers.com with files from Tom Gazzola & Jack Michaels

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Last edited by 488fitter: 02-28-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old
02-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
I would bet all my vcash that those who clicked on this thread were going to berate you for posting too early.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:29 AM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I would bet all my vcash that those who clicked on this thread were going to berate you for posting too early.
Nah, I will ask who the Olers are

are we that bad that we have dropped the "i"

Old
02-28-2013, 12:31 AM
dnicks17

We're doomed now!

Old
02-28-2013, 12:32 AM
488fitter

vCash: 210
Yeah....gonna need a mod to edit the title eventually.

Hoping this turns out to be a good luck GDT now.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

I remember the previous "too early" thread, last season, ended up a win.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

The Oilers suck regardless of when the GDT is posted

4-1 Dallas

Old
02-28-2013, 12:43 AM
HandsomeDoc

I for one welcome our new Oler overlords!

Old
02-28-2013, 12:49 AM
#ualberta

Haha the rare early GDT. we are just in time for Lehtonen's return as usual I think we will win hall is back and we need a win hopefully we pull this one out early in the road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
Yeah....gonna need a mod to edit the title eventually.

Hoping this turns out to be a good luck GDT now.
I think this is a common misconception. Many posters don't know you can change the title of threads you start yourself
Just edit the OP and change the title.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:51 AM
T-Funk

Oh no the jinx! Now we'll never beat Dallas in Dallas during an exciting high scoring game where we skate hard and hit lots!

Old
02-28-2013, 12:53 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I think this is a common misconception. Many posters don't know you can change the title of threads you start yourself
Just edit the OP and change the title.
If it's the same as mods, you can just double click the box of the thread while you're on the main HFoil page to edit the title too.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Ah, yes. The jinx. If there was any chance we may have had of winning, it's surely gone now

Old
02-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Mentallydull

Lets go Olers!

Old
02-28-2013, 01:22 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
I blame MacT.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

With two days off no wonder people are starting an early GDT in this wacky season.

But now no breaks to speak of.

On tap is 7games in the next 10days.

This is a good thing or a bad thing.

Stay tuned.

Eat your Shreddies Eberle.

ps Even stranger. Two weeks of pretty much nonstop games except for Saturdays. No Oilers NHIC kids.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:44 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
I had hope for this game until I heard Lehtonen is back.

Canucks and Flames get the backup (or backup's backup) twice each and we get zilch.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

L-olers.

We are no longer spOilers. We are L-olers.

How the mighty have fallen.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Baggers

There's no "I" in "team", nor "Olers"

Old
02-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Zerolers?

Old
02-28-2013, 02:01 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
There's no "I" in "team", nor "Olers"
That's not all they're missing...

Old
02-28-2013, 02:05 AM
dnicks17

Ilers.

Cuz they've got no O...ffense...

Old
02-28-2013, 02:44 AM
#ualberta

Great job on the GDT
I really like this one more then your usual awesome GDT's the gif's were nice and all but I really like the jersey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
If it's the same as mods, you can just double click the box of the thread while you're on the main HFoil page to edit the title too.
Hmm I actually never tried that but I rarely use the site on a pc almost always on my phone or tablet

Old
02-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Nugent-Hopkins and his whopping 7 points still getting first line ice-time... sigh.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Shanahanigans

Have a feeling that now that Hall's had a nice rest and a different view of things sitting in the press box, he'll go beast mode the rest of the season.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:24 AM
dnicks17

We have some of the most random jersey numbers.

Does anyone else in the league wear 83, 64, 54 or 45?

Closed Thread