HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers aren't being built properly

Old
02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
My comment had nothing to do with the fact they're building around forwards and not D and a goalie. I'm glad you caught that.
They have a goalie, some decent defensemen and a few with very good promise.

Yours was an arbitrary statement that really doesn't have any meaning, it was just a loose bunch of words to justify whatever point you're standing behind.

There's no "proper way" to build a team, but having talent is one part of the building that cannot be left out.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
They have a goalie, some decent defensemen and a few with very good promise.

Yours was an arbitrary statement that really doesn't have any meaning, it was just a loose bunch of words to justify whatever point you're standing behind.

There's no "proper way" to build a team, but having talent is one part of the building that cannot be left out.
Of course it was. It was a mundane joke that doesn't even really support my opinion that you are now over analyzing.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:06 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

What Oilers need is some filler types like..P.Dupuis, C.Kunitz, R.Malone, A.Burrows, B.Dubinsky, M.Recchi, T.Zajac...etc

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Bangers

What I'd like to see happen with the team over the next year:

1. Trade Hemsky at the deadline for a young stud d-man that's ready to step in next year (I'd love Brendan Smith or Gormley, and I mentioned Despres in another thread)
2. Trade Khabby, Whitney and Potter at the deadline for whatever they can get.

3. Sign a big UFA winger - Horton or Clowe would be good pickups (even though Clowe has been rubbish this year). Another option I'd be interested in (even at his age) is Jagr.

4. Buy out Horcoff and either buyout (or ask to retire) Smyth. Not sure if the amnesty clause allows for two buyouts in one year tho.

5. Sign Matt Lombardi for the 3rd line C spot.

6. Re-sign Smid, Paajarvi, Harti, Gagner, Jones (short contract), and Petry.

7. Sign a veteran backup goalie.

Next year's team:
Hall - RNH - Eberle
UFA - Gagner - Yakupov
Paajarvi - Lombardi - Jones
Harti - Belanger - Eager

Schultz - Smid
(Hemsky trade) - Petry
Fistric - Schultz

Dubnyk
Backup

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Mr Forever

Lombardi? Hell no.

Here's my plan:

Trade Hemmer for a young D, buy out Horcoff, draft Monahan, sign Clowe and Scuderi.

Clowe-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Monahan-Jones
Hartikanen-Lander-Paajarvi

Schultz-Petry
Smid-Klefbom
Scuderi-Schultz
Fistric

Old
02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Mr Forever

Oops, Eberle as the RW not Hemmer.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:23 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Some times the best moves are the ones you don't make. Though this team has been underwhelming this year I think the offence will come around. We have both Klefbom and Marincin down the pipe which will add a lot of depth to the defence core. I hope we buy out Horc and get a gritty 3rd line C type in. Other than that. I wouldn't touch the team. they will come around.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Lombardi? Hell no.

Here's my plan:

Trade Hemmer for a young D, buy out Horcoff, draft Monahan, sign Clowe and Scuderi.

Clowe-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Monahan-Jones
Hartikanen-Lander-Paajarvi

Schultz-Petry
Smid-Klefbom
Scuderi-Schultz
Fistric
I like monahan but two things
a) Monahan reminds me too much of Gagner, Gagner was a highly touted pick as is Monahan. Monahan doesnt have the size upgrade id want.
b) Monahan wouldnt step into a 3c role. Disaster all over that. 3c has to be a shutdown player, brutal for player development. Hed be in the OHL unless hes proven to be better than Gagner and Gagner is moved

Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Mctopchowda

Why is Horcoff buyout being brought up? Hes a good faceoff guy/shutdown guy, we dont need the cap space next 2 years.
Being Edmonton itd be hard to find a replacement 3c in FA that is better than Horcoff (serious) and wed have to offer a premium and probaly added years, pushing contract issues down the road

Old
02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I like monahan but two things
a) Monahan reminds me too much of Gagner, Gagner was a highly touted pick as is Monahan. Monahan doesnt have the size upgrade id want.
b) Monahan wouldnt step into a 3c role. Disaster all over that. 3c has to be a shutdown player, brutal for player development. Hed be in the OHL unless hes proven to be better than Gagner and Gagner is moved
I will take anther Gagner any day of the week. you take the BPA and I think that would be Monahan if we pick out side the top 5. I would love to have him.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
What I'd like to see happen with the team over the next year:

1. Trade Hemsky at the deadline for a young stud d-man that's ready to step in next year (I'd love Brendan Smith or Gormley, and I mentioned Despres in another thread)
2. Trade Khabby, Whitney and Potter at the deadline for whatever they can get.

3. Sign a big UFA winger - Horton or Clowe would be good pickups (even though Clowe has been rubbish this year). Another option I'd be interested in (even at his age) is Jagr.

4. Buy out Horcoff and either buyout (or ask to retire) Smyth. Not sure if the amnesty clause allows for two buyouts in one year tho.

5. Sign Matt Lombardi for the 3rd line C spot.

6. Re-sign Smid, Paajarvi, Harti, Gagner, Jones (short contract), and Petry.

7. Sign a veteran backup goalie.

Next year's team:
Hall - RNH - Eberle
UFA - Gagner - Yakupov
Paajarvi - Lombardi - Jones
Harti - Belanger - Eager

Schultz - Smid
(Hemsky trade) - Petry
Fistric - Schultz

Dubnyk
Backup
There are a few things I agree and disagree with. I would rather trade Hemsky for a top 4 defencemen instead of a young upcoming defencemen. We can add if we have too. Also, Lombardi is not the third line center we need. I would focus on getting someone like Jarrett Stoll or even Brian Boyle.

I would love to sign Jagr. That is the type of guy this team needs for at least a year. Not to fill a need or anything but cause of his leadership skills. Plus, he could easily play in the top 6 today.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
YesYesYall

Maybe you're not being built properly... did you ever stop and ask yourself that?

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:47 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
What Oilers need is some filler types like..P.Dupuis, C.Kunitz, R.Malone, A.Burrows, B.Dubinsky, M.Recchi, T.Zajac...etc
These guys are 3rd liners if it isn't for the star-level talent they play with. The Crosby's, Malkin's, Stamkos', St. Louis' of the world.

But that's a useful, versatile player to have in your lineup. Can play on lines 1-3 without looking out of place. Similar players like this approaching UFA:

Dupuis, Wellwood, Fedotenko, Higgins, Prospal, Ryder, Clowe, Horton.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 02-24-2013 at 11:53 PM.
The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I will take anther Gagner any day of the week. you take the BPA and I think that would be Monahan if we pick out side the top 5. I would love to have him.
I wouldnt, Monahan projects to be a #1c, but so did Gagner. He is not a guartneed elite center like Drouin, Mackinnon. Many centers drafted 5-10 dont end up being really good #2c or good #1c (Kadri, Johansen) They are good #2c but you could find them in FA or elsewhere

Monahan is not a player you put at #3c if hes only as good as Gagner. Id want Pulock or be willingly to deal the pick (if 7th or around there) for a player

Old
02-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I wouldnt, Monahan projects to be a #1c, but so did Gagner. He is not a guartneed elite center like Drouin, Mackinnon. Many centers drafted 5-10 dont end up being really good #2c or good #1c (Kadri, Johansen) They are good #2c but you could find them in FA or elsewhere

Monahan is not a player you put at #3c if hes only as good as Gagner. Id want Pulock or be willingly to deal the pick (if 7th or around there) for a player
Nobody is guaranteed to become an elite center. Maybe Crosby, but even Stamkos and Tavares still had doubters.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Stamkos and Tavares did not have their doubters. At least not by any intelligent or credible people

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Stamkos and Tavares did not have their doubters. At least not by any intelligent or credible people
Yes they did haha.

Besides, are mackinnon and drouin even on that level? No, not even close.

They definitely aren't 'sure fire' elite centers.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

One thing these teams have in common? They are a CONTENDER every year.

What are the Oilers? Annual contenders for the 1st overall pick.

Relax with belittling other much more successful teams.
It's a rebuild. Trading high-value players for older guys who have size might make us more competitive in the short-term, but it's not going to make us competitive in the long run.

Let the young players develop both their offensive and defensive games. If we have an overflow of talent, then we can trade them for glue guys. We don't have an overflow of talent right now. We can't score.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Philly85
Raps'

No, they didn't have their doubters. Seriously. I've been on these boards since 05. Maybe some kids, idiots questioned those two for very short periods of time, at moments. No one in the mainstream media or with an educated, valid opinion, nobody who mattered thought or publicly questioned either of those two being taken first overall and their potential.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:25 AM
oilers_smyth_94

Quote:
No, they didn't have their doubters. Seriously. I've been on these boards since 05. Maybe some kids, idiots questioned those two for very short periods of time, at moments. No one in the mainstream media or with an educated, valid opinion, nobody who mattered thought or publicly questioned either of those two being taken first overall and their potential.
Nobody questioned the potential, how could you? They questioned whether they would reach it or not, so yes, doubters. Many so called experts were saying Hedman might be going first overall. Not comparing Tavares to Daigle, but they were comparing Hedman to Pronger. Islanders ended up going with Tavares because they needed a face, it's easier to sell tickets for a star centerman than a young D-man. There was even some talk about Duchene as a sleeper 1st overall pick.

A quick google search brought me a few articles about the 09 draft.

08, most thought Stamkos was going 1st, especially because Tampa did their whole Seen Stamkos thing, but again, would he be a Crosby? or a Spezza?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...lease-stand-up
http://illegalcurve.com/2009/06/25/b...layer-to-go-1/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=392628

HF thread on 2009 draft:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=582728

oilers_smyth_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Soundwave

The Oilers will be a good team, long term I don't have much doubt about that to be honest.

The issue is you have to add some mean/nasty role players to go in between the skill kids. That's it.

Not superstar signings or big splash deals, and certainly nothing like trading any of the kids (silly).

Fistric was one good move, now we need 2-3 more of those types of moves, especially upfront.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
I don't care how long you've been reading forums. The discussion isn't about those two. I'm saying Mackinnon and Drouin aren't in the category of AUTOMATIC ELITE CENTRES like one poster said earlier.

Those players don't come around often. Mackinnon is not a Crosby.

And yes, mainstream media questioned Tavares's skating, and people certainly questioned Stamkos after the mediocre start he got off to in his first season.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Oilers will be a good team, long term I don't have much doubt about that to be honest.

The issue is you have to add some mean/nasty role players to go in between the skill kids. That's it.

Not superstar signings or big splash deals, and certainly nothing like trading any of the kids (silly).

Fistric was one good move, now we need 2-3 more of those types of moves, especially upfront.
Exactly. We have our core in place, now it's a matter of bringing in the right players and building around them. My only concern is that the management needs to focus on that and bring it sooner rather than later. Despite the potential that this team has, they have to start winning eventually and make the playoffs.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

The real issue is that The Nuge could be a body double for Taylor Swift. Edmonton needs to invest in a weight room.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:24 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
The real issue is that The Nuge could be a body double for Taylor Swift. Edmonton needs to invest in a weight room.
The Oilers built a large weight room in the dressing room when they did the renovations.

He's a slight build though, doubt he gets much bigger than his list 185 pounds right now, and he will never develop a really noticably thick build, probably tops out 190 in a few years. He pretty clearly has the body type that isn't going to put on a ton of bulk muscle, but he's already pretty strong for his size and it'll only get better as he gets older.

Primary focus of NHL training these days is actually core and leg strength though, which impacts every aspect of the game on the ice for a player. The idea that Nuge is too skinny or weak because he looks thin is misleading in today's game.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote