HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers aren't being built properly

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
  #176
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 500
The western conference has gone full bore dead puck, trap and hold, clog and dog.
Whatever you want to call it.

It's not goaltending that's the difference. The style of game between conferences seems completely different. I wish we were in the East. I have a hard time watching hockey in the west. Watching Phoenix collapse 5 guys low is ********.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
  #177
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
The western conference has gone full bore dead puck, trap and hold, clog and dog.
Whatever you want to call it.

It's not goaltending that's the difference. The style of game between conferences seems completely different. I wish we were in the East. I have a hard time watching hockey in the west. Watching Phoenix collapse 5 guys low is ********.
While Leafs/MTL games are rather entertaining, and BOS/MTL or PHI/PITs. Seems like two different leagues sometimes.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
  #178
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
The western conference has gone full bore dead puck, trap and hold, clog and dog.
Whatever you want to call it.

It's not goaltending that's the difference. The style of game between conferences seems completely different. I wish we were in the East. I have a hard time watching hockey in the west. Watching Phoenix collapse 5 guys low is ********.
Chicago was doing that too with a 1-3-1.

It's like the Buckley's ad, "tastes awful and it works".

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:35 PM
  #179
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
The western conference has gone full bore dead puck, trap and hold, clog and dog.
Whatever you want to call it.

It's not goaltending that's the difference. The style of game between conferences seems completely different. I wish we were in the East. I have a hard time watching hockey in the west. Watching Phoenix collapse 5 guys low is ********.
This is definitely how I see it as well. I actually find it somewhat depressing.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
  #180
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I disagree with basically everything you said. We have 7 forwards that are fine going ahead. The rest are dead weight. The forwards are the biggest reason we can't score 5 on 5. Smyth can't skate, Eager can't stick up for anyone, everyone in the top 12 is soft. The defense isn't the problem. Three of our D are in the top 12 of hits, by D. Petry and Schultz are more than capable of moving the puck well. Whitney when in the lineup is a good passer. Puck moving defenseman isn't a problem. The problem is they don't have the size to win battles along the boards and in the corners. Most of our goals are PP goals because that's when we get to play with the puck. When you have no one who can win the puck battles, you can not play with the puck. That's the problem. We aren't even a bad GA team this year, which is amazing with two defenseman like Potter and Whitney.

Smyth, Eager, Whitney, Potter are killing the team right now. Yakupov is turning pucks over partly because he's a rookie, but maybe even because he's on his off wing and he's not used to breaking the puck out from the left side. Belanger and Horcoff are winning faceoffs, but they are soft.

We literally need to replace everyone in the bottom 6 other than Jones and Petrell. I count Hemsky, Eager, Belanger, Horcoff, Paajarvi, Smyth, Whitney, Potter, Khabibulin needing to be replaced in the next 2 years.
I totally disagree with everything that you said and agree with Hottoddy. Which is a rarity for me.

Smyth and Eager isn't killing the team right now. Since the benching Smyth has played very well. Eager isn't out there to score, he's there to add truculence and hit. Smyth isn't out there to score, he's there for the penalty killing, add a little bit of presence in front of the net for the PP and to help mentor.

It's the first and second line that isn't scoring even strength, but that's ok. They're young, they'll get it. It's called development.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
  #181
Agent Zero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EDM
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Patience is a virtue.

We've drafted a first line and were fortunate to sign a first pairing dman. Let the cards unfold... Our team would like to make the playoffs but I think being in the hunt for the playoffs is good enough. There's a lot that can happen this off season. Corey Perry could bring the physicality we need in our top six. There aren't too many dman to hit free agency so if we can snag a Perry, i guess it would allow us to trade a player from our top 6 for a dman.

I think Shea Weber signed his deal last year to maximize his contract. I can see him requesting a trade in the near future. Weber would be great but there other dman that become available for what ever reason.

Brooks Laich is someone I'd target come trade deadline if we're in the hunt. He'd be our Moreau and then some.

Too many bloggers hoping to make changes to soon. Not every GM is Paul Holmgren or Dean Lombardi.... Wait and see..

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:06 AM
  #182
DK28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't care how young our team is. The fact is we need more balance in our team and we are never going to win a cup until we get more of it in our lineup. These kids are never going to turn into the physical specimens we need up front. Does anyone disagree with this? The evidence is there. Boston, LA, Edmonton, Chicago have all had major success in the playoffs by playing like this. Pittsburgh and Detroit won the Cup because they had revolutionary players like Crosby, Malkin and Lidstrom, which we will not have anytime soon, yet our team is on the road to being built like them. Chicago won the cup with Byfuglien, Bolland and Ladd being HUGE parts of their run. Once Buff and Ladd were traded they started to regress. Now players like Bickell and Stalberg are filling in those wholes they've been missing the past few years and they are having success again. I don't think Chicago is as good as they have showed for the record.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree whole heartedly. I have been saying the same thing as well.

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
  #183
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK28 View Post
I agree whole heartedly. I have been saying the same thing as well.
As have I. Responses are usually flaming or incredible delusions of Oiler grandeur

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
  #184
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Gally and Kadri are thriving because they are playing with established NHL vets. Not necessarily dynamos, but guys that can be great facilitators. They teach you nuances of the game (how not to completely abandon your defensive reliabilities, making reads, etc).

Our first line was stellar last year, but teams have figured out how to stop it. You need good vets to teach them how to fight through. We could even set up a 3-line system and spread the talent out. But it's important to bring in those vets. Young 30-somethings who haven't had their skills fade yet (Lapierre, Higgins, Dupuis), or late-20 something's just reaching their prime (Ryan, Brouwer).

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
  #185
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Gally and Kadri are thriving because they are playing with established NHL vets. Not necessarily dynamos, but guys that can be great facilitators. They teach you nuances of the game (how not to completely abandon your defensive reliabilities, making reads, etc).

Our first line was stellar last year, but teams have figured out how to stop it. You need good vets to teach them how to fight through. We could even set up a 3-line system and spread the talent out. But it's important to bring in those vets. Young 30-somethings who haven't had their skills fade yet (Lapierre, Higgins, Dupuis), or late-20 something's just reaching their prime (Ryan, Brouwer).
Laperiere has no really skills to fade. He has never been much more than a plug. I like Dupuis but he is basically a marginal upgrade on Ryan Jones playing with top end talents. Chris Higgins is the only one of these three to ever really show any significant promise. But he is not the type of player to mentor the Oilers best kids.

Ryan is in a completely different level from the other guys. He would also cost an arm and a leg. BUt even though he is very talented, he is also not the mentor type. In fact, he is generally the third wheel on his line.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
  #186
MillerTime2181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Don't know where else to put this.... didn't watch too much lockout hockey but based on stats alone think of this.... Justin Schultz is STILL # 6 in AHL scoring despite playing only 34 games and Jordan Eberle is STILL 3rd in AHL scoring in the same amount of games. That speaks to the talent-level those guys possess... I'm impressed. You guys are WELL on your way.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.