HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for the board..

View Poll Results: Would you rather..
Redwings make the playoffs.. 53 75.71%
Redwings get a lottery pick.. 17 24.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
  #1
RedWinged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Question for the board..

Going into the season, nobody expected the Red Wings to do anything special.

Even so, the injuries have held the team back more often than not. Not to mention, the funk some players and coaches are in.

Any who, our playoff streak is on the line. If we make the playoffs, we will be just fodder for Chicago or the other top teams in the west. More than that, our draft position would get worse.

On the other hand, if we miss the playoffs, our draft position is likely to get much better, and who knows, we might even get a top 10 lottery pick, if we suck real bad, the second half of the schedule looks promising on that front.

So, would you rather keep the playoff streak alive, or jostle for better draft position.

RedWinged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
  #2
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,426
vCash: 500
I'd rather the Wings make the playoffs and if relatively healthy I think they could pull off an upset or two. I know the schedule is about to get a lot harder but I still have a lot of blind faith in this team. No way they get a top 5 pick.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:23 PM
  #3
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.
 
redwings85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: America's Hat.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,003
vCash: 500
I'd prefer the Wings make the Playoffs, it can be done, unfortunately they've suffered some flukey injuries this year so far.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:24 PM
  #4
KJoe88
Registered User
 
KJoe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 4,779
vCash: 500
If they miss the playoffs, it'll be narrowly, so wouldn't they still pick midway? At least if they make the playoffs, they have a chance to go deep. A chance.

KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:06 PM
  #5
FlashyG
Registered User
 
FlashyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 500
Regardless of where the Wings finish we will only have 1 ball in the lottery because of our making the playoffs the past few years. We also aren't anywhere near bad enough for our pick to be in the top 5 where the elite talent will be. Only 1 team will move up based on the lottery anyways.

Not sure why anyone would want to miss the playoffs to pick 3 or 4 spots earlier than we likely will by making the playoffs.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
  #6
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
I picked lottery pick. Not because I want us to lose, really. But because I want management to change its course.

And if we finish 6th and make the playoffs, it's too easy for Babcock and Holland to do business as usual.
So I'd settle for 10th... a quick jumpstart, some housecleaning, some changes and a fresh start next year.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:25 PM
  #7
RedWinger10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Playoffs

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:33 PM
  #8
smurfyeah19
Registered User
 
smurfyeah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Playoffs. We're Detroit, not Columbus

smurfyeah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:35 PM
  #9
ScottyBowman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
I'll take a lottery pick. This is a shortened season and we aren't good enough to make any noise this year. Might as well miss the playoffs. It might make Holland actually do something besides planning on re-signing Cleary, White, and Mursack.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:49 PM
  #10
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gorillaz-EPWRID
Country: United States
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
Lottery pick. If not it will be the same ole thing.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:54 PM
  #11
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Playoffs

rooting for losing is pathetic

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:02 PM
  #12
Flowah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
Playoffs

rooting for losing is pathetic
I think anyone rooting for playoffs is rooting for long term losing.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:05 PM
  #13
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,508
vCash: 500
This team is not good enough to win a cup even if they are healthy. A lottery pick would be the best thing that could happen to this team. Imagine having Seth Jones next year...........

I want the Wings to win, but i dont see them winning the cup if they squeak in as a 6-8th seed. They were a better team last year and got slaughtered by Nashville.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM
  #14
LarKing
Registered User
 
LarKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 6,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
I think anyone rooting for playoffs is rooting for long term losing.
Or they're rooting for short term winning? We're only going to have Datsyuk and Zetterberg in their primes for a couple more years. I'd prefer to take the middle approach. Make the playoffs as a lower seed, don't trade away picks or specs for vets.

LarKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:11 PM
  #15
icKx
Subtle interference
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Intertubes
Country: United States
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
I picked lottery pick. Not because I want us to lose, really. But because I want management to change its course.
Same. The organization needs a system shock.

This team is nothing more than a five game appetizer for any of the top seeds anyway.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:17 PM
  #16
FlashyG
Registered User
 
FlashyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
This team is not good enough to win a cup even if they are healthy. A lottery pick would be the best thing that could happen to this team. Imagine having Seth Jones next year...........

I want the Wings to win, but i dont see them winning the cup if they squeak in as a 6-8th seed. They were a better team last year and got slaughtered by Nashville.
The Wings don't have any chance of getting Seth Jones.

Even if they finished dead last their chances would be bad of getting the first overall pick due to their past few seasons.

I also don't think missing the playoffs is going to bring sweeping changes to the team, the most change you'd see is a new coach.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:22 PM
  #17
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
The Wings don't have any chance of getting Seth Jones.

Even if they finished dead last their chances would be bad of getting the first overall pick due to their past few seasons.

I also don't think missing the playoffs is going to bring sweeping changes to the team, the most change you'd see is a new coach.
A top ten draft pick still beats losing in the first round. Wings are one step away from Calgary flames territory. Perpetual mediocrity is a fate worse than death in pro sports.

Holland's last ace is the playoff streak. Once he loses that, he should come to his senses.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:29 PM
  #18
last_sd
Registered User
 
last_sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,433
vCash: 500
If we get top 5 pick for missing the playoff, I would be okay with that.

If we are not going to make the playoff, I want us to fall early so we can trade some dead-weight for futures.

The problem is, I think we will be 7~12th in conference. We will miss the lottery pick and we won't trade any players.

If we can't get top 5 pick and some future for trading our players I will go for playoff

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:32 PM
  #19
FlashyG
Registered User
 
FlashyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
A top ten draft pick still beats losing in the first round. Wings are one step away from Calgary flames territory. Perpetual mediocrity is a fate worse than death in pro sports.

Holland's last ace is the playoff streak. Once he loses that, he should come to his senses.
Who says it will be a top 10 pick? If the season were to end today it would be the 14th pick. If they made the playoffs and got eliminated in the 1st round it would likely be around 16-19.

Why would one bad season change Holland's philosophy that has been successful for 15 years? Especially in a shortened season where the team lead the league in games lost to injuries.

There is no comparison between the Wings and Calgary. The Flames have missed the playoffs 3 years straight and have 3x the Wings chances of winning the lottery even if the Wings finished behind them. If the Wings had finished 9th, 9th and 11th in the conference for the past 3 years I'd be all for tanking for a better draft pick, but there is no point considering how the lottery works.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:43 PM
  #20
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,747
vCash: 500
Playoffs obviously.

Did people think this would be a smooth transition without stuggles? They'll get on track, and if Helm is able to come back they can do some damage in the playoffs. This team is far from hopeless.

Seriously, how the **** could anyone want a lottery pick when this team might only have Datsyuk for one more year??!?! Silliness...

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:44 PM
  #21
icKx
Subtle interference
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Intertubes
Country: United States
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Who says it will be a top 10 pick? If the season were to end today it would be the 14th pick. If they made the playoffs and got eliminated in the 1st round it would likely be around 16-19.

Why would one bad season change Holland's philosophy that has been successful for 15 years? Especially in a shortened season where the team lead the league in games lost to injuries.

There is no comparison between the Wings and Calgary. The Flames have missed the playoffs 3 years straight and have 3x the Wings chances of winning the lottery even if the Wings finished behind them. If the Wings had finished 9th, 9th and 11th in the conference for the past 3 years I'd be all for tanking for a better draft pick, but there is no point considering how the lottery works.
I didn't realize the lottery took past seasons into account. How did NJ miss the playoffs for one year and wind up with the 4th pick? Just awesome luck?

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
  #22
fimoknete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Roesrath, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
voted for playoffs. a team with dats and zetta is simply to strong to miss the playoffs.
regardless what rubbish the have to play with. i always have to laugh when penguin fans are complaining about the wingers of crosby. lol
i would trade them immediately for abdelkader and cleary.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
  #23
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
Playoffs

rooting for losing is pathetic
LOL
Making the playoffs and losing in 5 games in round one is no better than finishing 10th.

Unless you think this team is a legit cup contender, making the playoffs doesn't mean squat.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:08 AM
  #24
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Playoffs obviously.

Did people think this would be a smooth transition without stuggles? They'll get on track, and if Helm is able to come back they can do some damage in the playoffs. This team is far from hopeless.

Seriously, how the **** could anyone want a lottery pick when this team might only have Datsyuk for one more year??!?! Silliness...
If we had a real NHL defense and a scoring line winger for Pavel, I'd see your point.

But this team is a pretender. Plain and simple.

This isn't the LA Kings -- a young team with tons of talent -- hungry, and on the upswing, with a new coach to swing the momentum around.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:08 AM
  #25
FlashyG
Registered User
 
FlashyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I didn't realize the lottery took past seasons into account. How did NJ miss the playoffs for one year and wind up with the 4th pick? Just awesome luck?
The Devils won the lottery with a much lower chance than almost everyone else in it.
The rules only allowed you to move up 4 spots by winning it, so instead of picking 8th they moved up to 4th.

I'm not 100% certain that previous seasons will come into effect for this upcoming draft as they haven't specified exactly how the format will change. All they have said is that now every non-playoff team has some chance at getting the first pick.

The last I heard they were basing it off the format used in the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes which is where you were assigned 1 ball for every time you missed the playoffs in the past 3 seasons only now that would be combined with a set number of balls based on your position in the standings.

Either way the chances of the Wings finishing bad enough to have a decent chance of winning the Lottery are pretty much non-existent, and only 1 team will be moving up at all.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.