HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the Oil are becoming like the Raptors/Bluejays to me

Old
03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
the Oil are becoming like the Raptors/Bluejays to me

you know how you kinda follow the Bluejays, but you also follow another team (in my case its the Cardinals and the Dodgers). and this year, you have big hopes for the Jays, so you will follow them more.

you know how you kinda follow the Raptors, but you really follow the Lakers or OKC or San Antonio or Miami. If the Raptors were to ever make the playoffs you would be all over it, but in the meantime you don't get too caught up in their woes.

The Oilers are on the verge of becoming a secondary thought to me. A team I quietly follow because they are my local club, but don't spend too much emotional currency on them because i've been hurt too much. I don't see the Oilers, at least under Tambellinin, as a serious team. It doesn't look like he cares. He just wastes away a whole season like he's throwing away leftover food scraps.

the Oilers' players are clearly frustrated by management's willingness to leave them high and dry. they are getting bullied all over the ice and Tambo just goes 'meh'. the players are giving up and tambo sits on his hands. its dispicable.

I think I'm going to pick up another team to follow more seriously. It might be the Blawkhawks; and not just because they are the best team right now. I like their style; i love Toews, Keith, Emery. I like Kane's boldness. they are more likeable then Pittsburg, Detroit, Boston.

I'm not going to drop the Oil, but as long as the organization doesn't care why should I?

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
you know how you kinda follow the Bluejays, but you also follow another team (in my case its the Cardinals and the Dodgers). and this year, you have big hopes for the Jays, so you will follow them more.

you know how you kinda follow the Raptors, but you really follow the Lakers or OKC or San Antonio or Miami. If the Raptors were to ever make the playoffs you would be all over it, but in the meantime you don't get too caught up in their woes.

The Oilers are on the verge of becoming a secondary thought to me. A team I quietly follow because they are my local club, but don't spend too much emotional currency on them because i've been hurt too much. I don't see the Oilers, at least under Tambellinin, as a serious team. It doesn't look like he cares. He just wastes away a whole season like he's throwing away leftover food scraps.

the Oilers' players are clearly frustrated by management's willingness to leave them high and dry. they are getting bullied all over the ice and Tambo just goes 'meh'. the players are giving up and tambo sits on his hands. its dispicable.

I think I'm going to pick up another team to follow more seriously. It might be the Blawkhawks; and not just because they are the best team right now. I like their style; i love Toews, Keith, Emery. I like Kane's boldness. they are more likeable then Pittsburg, Detroit, Boston.

I'm not going to drop the Oil, but as long as the organization doesn't care why should I?
Fire Tambellini, hire a real GM that isn't a stooge/puppet to Lowe, then you'll see change.

Wheathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Last Again

vCash: 883
Quote:

not really, I'm not a Blue Jays fan...I follow them in the fact they're Canadian so I'm kinda forced to follow them

not much of a basketball fan but I guess I'd pull for a craptors if they were any good

but those team are in Toronto so it's a lot easier to dismiss them, just don't watch the Toronto Sports Network or the Jays propaganda machine, Sportsnet

The Oilers are local, you hear about them on the radio, newpaper, friends, family...a lot tougher to escape...although I'm pulling for the Hawks to see how long they go unbeaten

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Fire Tambellini, hire a real GM that isn't a stooge/puppet to Lowe, then you'll see change.
that would get my attention, at least briefly. Tambo is watching his star player wither away. he is risk of ruining them.

i see no point in getting to caught up in them, because i see huge disappointment in the future if something major isn't done soon (as in the next 8months).

Tambo is closer to orchestrating the biggest failed rebuild and squwandering of talent in league history then he is to building a champion.

off to the Blackhawks board.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:51 AM
McHandsomeDoc

No. That's called Bandwagon Jumping. I'm an Oilers fan, through thick AND thin. They're my team. They are who I cheer for.

I may have always liked the Flyers and still follow them as a secondary team, but I don't wane in my support of my Oilers during the hard times and then come back just because they are doing good. What are you a Canucks fan? I suppose you cheered for Calgary to win the cup against Tampa Bay too?

Last edited by McHandsomeDoc: 03-06-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
McHandsomeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm passionate about the blue jays but enjoy baseball all together. I dislike the NBA but I cheer for the Timberwolves who are similar to the Oilers.

I also cheer for the Oilers regardless.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:11 PM
bone
5-14-6-1

I don't think I can ever switch allegiances, but it's hard to care anymore. Same crap every year and no end in sight. They've only won 4 of the past 16 games. This 16 game stretch prorated over 82 games is good for 67 points, so we are looking at the same quality of team we were 4 years ago. Looking at the shot differential during this stretch only further supports it.

If the next 16 are anything like the past 16 we are seriously in the McKinnon, Drouin, Jones discussion. Pathetic really.

Also the fact they have only once won back to back this entire season, and really haven't even played quality games back to back, doesn't instill any confidence they can dig themselves out of this mess.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I've literally been singing this all morning.

"♫The suckiest sucks who ever did suck were the Oilers! The only team that could suck as bad is the Blue Jays. The other team that sucks so much is the Raptors. The only other sucks who are as sucky as them are the Raiders♫"

Teams should pay me not to cheer for them. I could never switch, and I love sports WAY too much, It's just a given I will be perpetually sad when it comes to my passion.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Quote:

Didn't even know the Raptors were still considered a real team! GO BULLS GO!

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

I get more than my share of crushing disappointment from following this franchise, so I tend to front run all the other major sports. I'll cheer for the Blue Jays this year because they should be good, I cheer for the Thunder because they are good, and I cheer for the Broncos for the same reason.

I am far too invested in the Oilers to hop off the bandwagon. The only time I'll cheer for another NHL teams is if they are playing or have won a playoff series against a hated rival (i.e. Calgary or Vancouver).

I hope the Blackhawks knock out the Canucks this year because I think that will give "my team" its best chance to win the Cup.

Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Can't stand bandwagon fans. Especially bandwagon Bluejay fans. So you are going to start cheering suddenly because they are good? As a diehard Jay fan, Please stay away.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Can't stand bandwagon fans. Especially bandwagon Bluejay fans. So you are going to start cheering suddenly because they are good. As a diehard Jay fan, Please stay away.
They are almost as bad as Habs fans that were born and raised in Edmonton (assuming you didn't move here).

Worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeDoc View Post
No. That's called Bandwagon Jumping. I'm an Oilers fan, through thick AND thin. They're my team. They are who I cheer for.

I may have always liked the Flyers and still follow them as a secondary team, but I don't wane in my support of my Oilers during the hard times and then come back just because they are doing good. What are you a Canucks fan? I suppose you cheered for Calgary to win the cup against Tampa Bay too?
Im with you. Been a fan of the Flyers before the Oilers were in the NHL, but the Oilers are my #1 team simply because of my location.

Too bad the Flyers are sucking balls this year as well, though.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:43 PM
plikestechno

If lowe was calling the shots thered be way more trades. He loved to trade and wouldnt sit by with a team looking like this. I think this is all Tambellini selling lowe and katz on the slow patient rebuild.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:

fair enough. problem is there is no thick, only thin. I will always cheer for the Oil also, but they have to throw me a bone, or my passion will wain.

the organization is throwing away another season. Unacceptable. this team can not go into next season with this lineup. they can not pick up one 3rd pairing D and 2 rookies and expect improvement. If Tambo/Lowe do not make some serious changes by next fall and are still employed, that will spell proof that they are out-of-touch and don't care.

the bottom line is this organization is losing me. i don't want to cheer for a orgagnization that isn't even trying to win. I nolonger cheer for the Kansas City Royals anymore for this reason. Would you cheer for the Pittsburg Pirates? competing is the furthest thing from their mind.

a 3 year tankjob to acquire topend talent was ok. but, no longer, and there is no way you are going to tell they are not tanking this season. they are going for a top 3 pick again. we have to stop going to games and show them this is unacceptable.

show me you give a damn and I will too.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:40 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:

So are we in the thick right now or the thin?

Some of our players/managers are "thick" in the brain. That much is for sure.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I don't follow the Raptors at all.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

They're still my number one team but I've never been more disconnected and judging from the comments on the Oilers Facebook page and Twitter feed I'm not alone. The vast majority of the fanbase is beyond fed up. Rexall is going to have some empty seats in late March, throughout April and the rush for tickets is going to be a lot slower in 2013/2014.

It was always futile defending this organization but we can no longer show our faces on the main board here either. Everything that opposition fans have thrown at us... from Tambellini's general ineptitude to Eberle's shooting percentage has blown up in our collective faces.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Gord
Tesla

I understand what the OP is saying except I don't want to follow another team.

especially when he says "The Oilers are on the verge of becoming a secondary thought to me. A team I quietly follow because they are my local club, but don't spend too much emotional currency on them "

I'm still a fan but I can turn the past the sports page of the newspaper and get on with my day. If a game is on tv and I have something else to do or watch, I don't even try and make time to watch the Oilers nor do I PVR. I might flip to the game during commercials and catch a bit here and there.
partly it's the past 6 years of crap Oilers hockey, partly it's the three lockouts along with the greed of both sides.
I do like coming to this site and getting my fill of hockey here. only takes a few minutes scattered throughout my day and I get caught up on everything.
It's just too bad I'm an eskimo fan, too. bad era to be an edmonton sports fan.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

There are plenty of winning programs in the city right now though, especially if you're a hockey fan. Both of the other major hockey teams are excellent - The Oil Kings and the Alberta Golden Bears - and outside of hockey the NLL lacrosse team is respectable.

The fact that this city's mood depends on the Oilers' performance really exemplifies how much this city, this region is defined by the Edmonton Oilers. Sad? Maybe. But it's the truth. The Eskimos? Eeeeeh. I love football and I love the team but I don't live and die by them. The fact that it's an affordable product definitely helps. One of the main reasons why I get so offended with the Oilers so-called "re-build" is because of the price of the subpar product. They're gouging this long suffering, passionate fanbase.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Niet

What makes being a fan of the team fun, at least for me, is the brutal moments and the moments of jubilation. People who stop being a fan of a team during the bad times are clear examples of band-wagoners. I've been a Bluejays, Packers, and Oilers fan for years through thick and thin, particularly with the Jays and Oilers, and didn't switch teams.

Packers are the only team I cheer for which has had any sort of playoff consistency and when they won the Super Bowl I wasn't nearly as excited as I would be if the Oilers or Jays won a championship. This is simply because these two teams have had true lows where as the Packers low is missing the playoffs every once in awhile.

I know people who choose teams such as Manchester United and the Yankees. Cheering for teams like that seems to take the fun out of fandom.

Niet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niet View Post
What makes being a fan of the team fun, at least for me, is the brutal moments and the moments of jubilation. People who stop being a fan of a team during the bad times are clear examples of band-wagoners. I've been a Bluejays, Packers, and Oilers fan for years through thick and thin, particularly with the Jays and Oilers, and didn't switch teams.

Packers are the only team I cheer for which has had any sort of playoff consistency and when they won the Super Bowl I wasn't nearly as excited as I would be if the Oilers or Jays won a championship. This is simply because these two teams have had true lows where as the Packers low is missing the playoffs every once in awhile.

I know people who choose teams such as Manchester United and the Yankees. Cheering for teams like that seems to take the fun out of fandom.
That's not really fair. My 68 year old father is the very definition of a die hard and he's seen it all in sports. Throughout this re-build he's been preaching to me "patience" "this (burn it down approach) was necessary" and "you're being too hard on them" etc etc. We watched the Minnesota game together earlier this week and he finally reached his breaking point. For the first time in my life I saw him throw his hands up in the air (not literally) and give up on them. He's just not seeing the effort, the progression that he expected to see and when I see his faith get shaken... something is seriously wrong.

As far as the bolded goes, sure, if you're some guy from Saskatoon who cheers for the Yankees... that's lame... but if you're a New Yorker it will never get old. Ever.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
jackstar

I have been a die hard fan of all three if those teams since i can remember. And considering they are all heading in the right direction talent wise (although you could argue the raptors) there is absolutely no way i could ever switch teams. Although the oilers and raptors are not where i expected them to be, it is a very exciting time to be a fan of these teams since i believe they Will all be good very soon... I hope

jackstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
OilerMcLord

This probably won't be a popular response, but here it is:

Don't let yourself get so emotionally invested?

It's ONLY hockey. There are thousands of things in our life that is more important than the game of hockey. I was born in Canada and have played / watched / coached hockey for 40+ years. I LOVE hockey.

I just don't understand why fans allow themselves to get so upset by the team they support. Have I yelled at a bad call at the TV during HNIC, of course! I then remind myself that it's JUST A GAME. There will always be highs; (80's Oilers Stanley Cups, 2006 Cup run, ) and lows (90's Oilers, 2013 Oilers inability to score 5x5, ) Accept these, and move on.

I will never lose interest in my Oilers. I will always cheer for my Oilers. My faith in the team will never waver.

Why?

I enjoy the hell out of the good times...and I simply take a pragmatic, mature approach to the bad times. When the Oilers let me down, I play with my children. I simply refuse to let hockey bring me down.

As a final thought, I know it is extremely hard to turn off that emotional switch. I certainly found it easier to do as I got older, but it CAN be done. YOU are in control.

If you don't like what you got, why don't you change it. If your world is all screwed up, rearrange it. -TROOPER

Go Oilers Go!

OilerMcLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Mcnitty

vCash: 391
I'm shocked by how little they're scoring this season but otherwise it's still just a young team trying to find their identity in the NHL. Chicago was in the dumpster of the NHL for the longest time, and ridiculed for being as terrible as our oilers are now and with sharp management and the fruits of their years of hard sucking, look at them now. This team and its young players have the potential to do something just as special once we get a management that actually wants to win.

The old boys club isn't getting it done and Katz knows this. We're the Islanders of the west.

Mcnitty is offline   Reply With Quote