HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 01:12 AM
  #76
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
One of the main reasons I don't want to give up on Paajarvi is his work ethic. Even of he never finds his hands in the NHL, you know he'll do what he's told and help the team in some capacity. Really good second third line tweener.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:23 AM
  #77
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I was reading on twitter that Paajarvi was a +1 on shot differential against Chicago, whereas RNH and Eberle were in the -17 to -18 area against grinders. So Maggie is still doing okay as a low event player on an outplayed team. I'd like to see him work on rolling off of checks and retaining possession of the puck, though.
His GA/60 is pretty impressive too. Leading the team at 1.3.

Nearly 3 times better than Petrell who is team worst at 3.73.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:55 AM
  #78
BadMedicine*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Magnus is tougher than people realise and will one day be holding up the Stanley Cup here with a toothless grin and open wounds on his face, he has evolved at the NHL level more than all his peers this year and that includes Hall and Nuge and Ebbs, Magnus has shown he can adjust to the size of the NHL better than the rest of the crop. He really has become a consistant force out there.

Put him on the left side with Gagner and Yakupov where he can use his size and speed to generate zone transitions and open up the ice for a stone cold sniper and a veteran NHL goal scorer, we need Silent Sam and the Russian Rooster to become a dual shooting threat for 60 mins. Hemmer is an absolute puck sponge and he is best served providing scoring support to the 3rd line, lets face the facts already -- Hemsky is a one man show who can score no matter what line he is on, we only have one guy like that and its him, so we need to move him ASAP as I have said since game 3. hemmer takes to much possesion time and passing away from his linemates who seriously need 50 % more touches during shifts, they can gain the zone without the Hemsky Express taking them there all night long. I know hemmer has been passing lately, but we only need him to do that if he is with gagner and yak, on the 3rd we WANT him to be the one man band so we can throw defensive guys with him and still get goal scoring.

If there is anything at all we have failed to alter to generate wins it had better be more right than religon and i an diagnosing Ralphs "play them in pairs" as being our Achilles heel, he is failing to make the exact line adjustments I outline for this reason, he is making a huge error and the NewAge Hockey System says it straight up. Same with moving Laddy around and screwing with the teams chemistry and emotional integrity, it pissed me off to see Laddy have to answer for more crappy coaching, Laddy has stood in front of the camera since he was a rookie and faced the music honestly like a man whenever he has screwed up and be damned if i want to see him answering for his coaches lack of system understanding and failing to communicate accurately with his entire roster. Same with Ryan Smyth, that was a cheapshot, Whitney was justified and so would Ebbs and Nuge be justified based on performance but not Smyth. The stupid system even takes away his wraparound and he has to fight to even get an attempt. A tactic we need systemwise that he is expert at executing.


MPS doesnt belong on the 3rd or 4th lines anymore, Jones will have to battle for his spot and might be traded this year unfortunately.Harti will always be an energy guy who will not fit into the top 6, spot duty on the PP but not top 6. We need size, speed and skill in the top 6 and MPS has brought all of that, I personally think our coaches need some communication consulting, I dont care how well versed krueger is, I respect his professionalsim but his plate is more than full 24/7 and he is human after all and prone to mistakes and oversights as much as any NHL coach.

Ralph has steadfastly refused to put together lines that compliment players skillsets, he is insiting on a hardline set play defensive stance that he doesnt see is snuffing out his offense, poor Ralph just doesnt understand the monumental roster he has at his disposal. It is entirely possible that we should have asked the Russian National Coach for a resume as well because we need someone who understands what these players can do to opponents, not someone who is trying to figure out how to stop opponents from doing things to them, its not fair to use their lack of experience as an excuse and to say they dont pay attention after wins as an excuse or say that we have been over the same things many times without asking yourself how silly that sounds to the media, its the coaches problem if he needs to keep repateing something, not the players. This is a communication issue at some level.

Given Gagner and Yakupov and CONSISTANT 2nd line minutes for the rest of the year, I think on a game to game basis head-to-head that Magnus can provide equal zone transition dominance and offense equal to Halls and as we are seeing with Sams dominance over Nuge statswise, if he lands on the nd line MPS will soon dominate Taylor in the stats dept. In fact I would bet on it. By the way I am a permanent Gagner supporter so before you put your money down you need to look at who is leading this team. I will be just as accurate with MPS. He is a core player. if we had a real support staff he would be developing his onetimer but this madhouse doesnt seem to go there individually, I guess learning is by round-taboe committee as well as decision making..


Last edited by BadMedicine*: 02-27-2013 at 02:05 AM.
BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:33 AM
  #79
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
IMO Magnus seems stronger on the puck and in the corners in the NHL than he did in the AHL, not sure why that is, but he rarely gives up on puck battles at this level this year unlike some of his play in OKC where I'd see him give up too early on a number of them. If he's willing to muck it up a bit, drive the net from time to time, and play solid D with his speed he'll be a valuable player for us.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:40 AM
  #80
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
@ BadMedicine, I didn't want to quote your whole post so I'll respond to you this way. I 100% agree that the best way to spread out our scoring is to move Hemsky to the 3rd line. He is a one man band and can create from any line. I also agree that Paajarvi could be a great compliment to Gagner in that his size, speed, and defensive awareness would be a good compliment to Gagner's game. What I do disagree with is Smyth's benching not being warranted and that Paajarvi will produce at Hall's rate.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:00 AM
  #81
Nail and Nuge
Registered User
 
Nail and Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
@ BadMedicine, I didn't want to quote your whole post so I'll respond to you this way. I 100% agree that the best way to spread out our scoring is to move Hemsky to the 3rd line. He is a one man band and can create from any line. I also agree that Paajarvi could be a great compliment to Gagner in that his size, speed, and defensive awareness would be a good compliment to Gagner's game. What I do disagree with is Smyth's benching not being warranted and that Paajarvi will produce at Hall's rate.
BadMedicine with another 8 chapter post- but aside from the length it is also the content that I disagree with.

Paajarvi is unfortunately not a second line winger in the NHL. He has all star skating ability and heart. Those attributes aside, he has been shown to lack finish (for a swede).

I think he is an excellent third line player now and in the future.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:46 AM
  #82
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,925
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
BadMedicine with another 8 chapter post- but aside from the length it is also the content that I disagree with.

Paajarvi is unfortunately not a second line winger in the NHL. He has all star skating ability and heart. Those attributes aside, he has been shown to lack finish (for a swede).

I think he is an excellent third line player now and in the future.
I still haven't given up. I doubt he's the 30-30-60 Hossa esq player we were hoping for, but he's shown decent finish in the right situation. He has top end skating, he's big, he's shown a willingness to adapt, and he is fantastic defensively (all of which makes him a great option opposite Yak). I definitely wouldn't be opposed to giving him a legitimate chance in the top 6 as the season goes on

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
  #83
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I still haven't given up. I doubt he's the 30-30-60 Hossa esq player we were hoping for, but he's shown decent finish in the right situation. He has top end skating, he's big, he's shown a willingness to adapt, and he is fantastic defensively (all of which makes him a great option opposite Yak). I definitely wouldn't be opposed to giving him a legitimate chance in the top 6 as the season goes on
He is and will continue to be a useful player for the Oilers going forward. If he had even a iota of scoring ability, he'd be a top 6er down the road for sure. Too bad he's got stumps where his hands should be.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
  #84
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,558
vCash: 500
Package him up in a trade for a dman.

I'd target Tyutin.

MPS and a 2nd rounder for Tyutin

Reink Smid

Sign a # 4/5 dman like Hainsey, White, Scuderi, Regehr, Leopold

Then the advancement of the young players/prospects the D looks much improved.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
  #85
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
BadMedicine with another 8 chapter post- but aside from the length it is also the content that I disagree with.

Paajarvi is unfortunately not a second line winger in the NHL. He has all star skating ability and heart. Those attributes aside, he has been shown to lack finish (for a swede).

I think he is an excellent third line player now and in the future.
He's not a good 2nd line player based on offense like Gagner and Yakupov aren't based on defense. However if they are all that you have to work with and you have a guy like Paajarvi to be the first man in to retrieve pucks, get in front of the net, and be a defensive conscience on the line then it frees up the other two to think more offensively which is their bread and butter and what makes them valuable. It's about adding balance to a line, I'd think that people would start getting that concept after watching 20 games of our team this year, not enough balance or a good blend of skill sets.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
  #86
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
I like these lines:

Jones - RNH - Eberle
Paajarvii - Gagner - Yakupov
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Hartikainen/Eager

or

Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Paajarvii - Gagner - Yakupov
Jones/Hartikainen - RNH - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Hartikainen/Eager

Size is spread a little better. At the least it's a fresh look. If you split up the skill guys a bit maybe they'll start to play a little greasier. I think RNH and Eberle need a shake-up 5-on-5. There are enough forwards healthy now that guys who play well should get rewarded. If your best players aren't playing their best they shouldn't be immune to moving down the line-up. Sometimes guys need a fire lit under them.

Also this way teams can't line match that well and if you want mid game you can throw the other team a curve ball by loading up a line.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
  #87
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
Paajarvi to OKC apparetly?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:13 PM
  #88
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I like these lines:

Jones - RNH - Eberle
Paajarvii - Gagner - Yakupov
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Hartikainen/Eager

or

Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Paajarvii - Gagner - Yakupov
Jones/Hartikainen - RNH - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Hartikainen/Eager

Size is spread a little better. At the least it's a fresh look. If you split up the skill guys a bit maybe they'll start to play a little greasier. I think RNH and Eberle need a shake-up 5-on-5. There are enough forwards healthy now that guys who play well should get rewarded. If your best players aren't playing their best they shouldn't be immune to moving down the line-up. Sometimes guys need a fire lit under them.

Also this way teams can't line match that well and if you want mid game you can throw the other team a curve ball by loading up a line.


Hall-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Yakupov
Harti-Horcoff/VV-Hemsky
Smyth-Belanger-Jones
Eager

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:59 AM
  #89
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
So I was going through this thread and there are many things I would like to single out in terms of PRV and obviously his season so far this year. But I think I'll try to make my point in another way instead of quoting post by post...

Fun facts about PRV 2013
Goals scored short handed per 60 minutes:
1. Paajarvi 3.53
2. Smyth 1.18
3. Petry 0.75

Ok, that's not really fair stats for many different reasons so let's move on to the next fun fact.

Goals scored on even strength per 60 minutes:
1. Paajarvi 1.06
2. Gagner 0.96
3. Hall 0.84
4. Hemsky 0.61
5. Eberle 0.51

WTF!? OK ok, I know we are horrible on even strength... But still, that's not too shabby at all.

Goals total (PP+EV+SH) per 60 minutes:
1. Hemsky 1.32
2. Paajarvi 1.20
3. Yakupov 1.16
4. Gagner 0.98
5. Eberle 0.81

(Hemsky with 5 goals on the PP, Yakupov 4, Gagner 2 and Eberle 3)
...

OK, we're not scoring enough and his numbers are not actually that good compared to other team's players... Right?

I'll re-post what I put in the PGT (I went a bit over-board in what was supposed to be a simple post-game comment on the positives of last game, the very few positives).

Now I know that there are many factors that play in here but I have decided that two of them take each other out, but feel free to tell me I am wrong here.

So I was looking at Paajarvi's goal scoring pace compared to other forwards and left wingers over the last 4 seasons. What I do here is that I count the goals total, excluding PPG's, of all forwards and left wingers and compare that with Paajarvi's goal scoring pace this season.

08/09 - Forwards: Paajarvi top 60, Left wingers: Paajarvi top 15.
09/10 - Forwards: Paajarvi top 50, Left wingers: Paajarvi top 20.
10/11 - Forwards: Paajarvi top 50, Left wingers: Paajarvi top 20.
11/12 - Forwards: Paajarvi top 60, Left wingers: Paajarvi top 20.

Oh, the two factors that take each other out are: 1) TOI/G and 2) goal scoring pace of the other forwards/left wingers (I just look at their goals total minus PPG's). They kind of take each other out since Paajarvi has significantly less ice time than all the rest.




By the way, calm down everyone, I am not saying that he's a top 20 left winger in the NHL... What I am saying is that there is no reason what-so-ever to be saying that he can't score, has no offense or that he's not playing well this season. He's doing really great so far, offensively as well as defensively. I hope that everyone who disagrees with this aren't the same posters complaining about secondary scoring, because Paajarvi is definitely doing his part in improving that.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:47 AM
  #90
longtimeoilfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

By the way, calm down everyone, I am not saying that he's a top 20 left winger in the NHL... What I am saying is that there is no reason what-so-ever to be saying that he can't score, has no offense or that he's not playing well this season. He's doing really great so far, offensively as well as defensively. I hope that everyone who disagrees with this aren't the same posters complaining about secondary scoring, because Paajarvi is definitely doing his part in improving that.
I 'clipped' your post LaGu, hope you don't mind.

Paajarvi is doing well, and to speak slightly aside from what you are saying - while being in agreement with much of it, this year should be demonstrating to everyone that offense alone is not enough. Paajarvi is good defensively, and he is starting to use his body more. Both of which are important. He brings some size, and he is starting to realize that. For these reasons, I like the idea of Paajarvi as a second line winger, but I also like the idea of having his ability on the third line as I want to see the Oil with a very good bottom six to compliment what I hope becomes a very good top six.

longtimeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
  #91
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 50
Remember not long time ago when some posters trashed him and called him a bust!

It takes often longer time for euro prospects to adapt to the Na game and rinks.
In the prv case is it a combination of find his skating lanes and find position, but mostly as many of us said before, about self confident and he seems much more confident now almost like he has grown a couple of inches.

I dont think we see prv as a consistant 2 line winger in a good team, have always seen him as a perfect grinder who scores mostly on break aways. Its a bit cogliano over him(despite size) fast hard working but the hands and iq isnt enough good to be a good scorer/point machine on a second line.

Prv need to stay up to continue develop his drive and confident, but as it seems, hes the one they can send down without any waiver problems.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:14 AM
  #92
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,486
vCash: 50
magnus should spend his entire offseason working on faceoffs, faceoffs and some more faceoffs. he is our ideal 2/3rd line C. the way he skates and plays in the defensive zone he is our hanzal. we just need him to play C

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM
  #93
longtimeoilfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
magnus should spend his entire offseason working on faceoffs, faceoffs and some more faceoffs. he is our ideal 2/3rd line C. the way he skates and plays in the defensive zone he is our hanzal. we just need him to play C

Winning on the dot isn't a requirement for 'our' current 2nd line center, why make it a requirement for Magnus?

In all seriousness though, I would like to see management explore the idea of playing Magnus as 2C. He has, as you say, many of the tools.

longtimeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:31 AM
  #94
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,486
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
Winning on the dot isn't a requirement for 'our' current 2nd line center, why make it a requirement for Magnus?

In all seriousness though, I would like to see management explore the idea of playing Magnus as 2C. He has, as you say, many of the tools.
i get what you are saying regarding faceoffs but if he showed up at camp and started dominating the dot then the brass would have to consider him for the spot. im surprised no one has yet to be honest. maybe they have,

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
  #95
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,598
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Paajarvi to OKC apparetly?
probably. which is stupid considering he's been one of the few oilers actually playing well recently.
too bad he never gets rewarded for his efforts of successes. in ice time, or staying up with the team.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
  #96
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
magnus should spend his entire offseason working on faceoffs, faceoffs and some more faceoffs. he is our ideal 2/3rd line C. the way he skates and plays in the defensive zone he is our hanzal. we just need him to play C
Our centers don't even work on draws, so I doubt a non-center is going to spend time.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
  #97
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,486
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Our centers don't even work on draws, so I doubt a non-center is going to spend time.
he wouldnt have to spend much time to just walk in and roll our current guys. like when medicore girls only hang around fat chicks, on a real world scale they arent special but shes the hottest of her friends.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
  #98
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
probably. which is stupid considering he's been one of the few oilers actually playing well recently.
too bad he never gets rewarded for his efforts of successes. in ice time, or staying up with the team.
It's a simple fact with waivers. Lots of teams do it. I do however think he should be getting more ice-time last night.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
  #99
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's a simple fact with waivers. Lots of teams do it. I do however think he should be getting more ice-time last night.
It's a load of horse**** IMO. The Oilers are in no position to be making decisions like that, other teams can do it because the veterans that stay up over the youngsters are actually good. We honestly need to just waive Smyth or trade him for a 7th round pick. Do whatever we need to get rid of this useless piece of trash.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
  #100
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
It's a load of horse**** IMO. The Oilers are in no position to be making decisions like that, other teams can do it because the veterans that stay up over the youngsters are actually good. We honestly need to just waive Smyth or trade him for a 7th round pick. Do whatever we need to get rid of this useless piece of trash.
People said the same about Potter and Whitney. Where would we be if we waived those guys? Playing Teubert and Marincin?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.