HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi

Old
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Sorry guy, theres some things I just wouldn't post here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
So I was going through this thread and there are many things I would like to single out in terms of PRV and obviously his season so far this year. But I think I'll try to make my point in another way instead of quoting post by post...

Fun facts about PRV 2013
Goals scored short handed per 60 minutes:
1. Paajarvi 3.53
2. Smyth 1.18
3. Petry 0.75
I know you stated just for fun but one of my pet peeves is limited set point data being described like this in decimal points. The problem with the stat above is that in each instance above the players have one shorthanded goal. Any player that didn't get that one data point would be 0.0. Like the rest of the club. All the above means is Smyth and Petry having appreciably more pk minutes. Its minor quibble I guess but its a meaningless and pretty random stat with only 3 data instances in the whole sample.

Quote:
Ok, that's not really fair stats for many different reasons so let's move on to the next fun fact.
Whoops, haha, looks like you already got what I'm stating above.

Quote:
Goals scored on even strength per 60 minutes:
1. Paajarvi 1.06
2. Gagner 0.96
3. Hall 0.84
4. Hemsky 0.61
5. Eberle 0.51

WTF!? OK ok, I know we are horrible on even strength... But still, that's not too shabby at all.

Goals total (PP+EV+SH) per 60 minutes:
1. Hemsky 1.32
2. Paajarvi 1.20
3. Yakupov 1.16
4. Gagner 0.98
5. Eberle 0.81

(Hemsky with 5 goals on the PP, Yakupov 4, Gagner 2 and Eberle 3)
Again with limited data sample the numbers above are pretty impacted by any data point. For instance if MPS doesn't score his 3rd EV goal last night he's not in top 5 of any of these categories. When data sets are still so subject to being widely skewed by one data point it means the numbers are still suject to wide flux and that they don't yet reveal very much.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Everest

I'm confused...someone please tell me Magnus has NOT been sent to OKC again?!

He was the best winger on the ice last night. For both teams.

I mean...its one thing if he only ends up with 14 minutes last night...but...sending him down is all the wrong things packed into one move.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
bleed_oil

Sorry guys. I know PRV is the flavor of the day around these parts right now, but I dont have a lot of time for him. He doest have the hands to be a offensive player and will never have the grit to utilize all that size and speed to be a power forward. Dont get me wrong, he might be a very usefull NHL'er, but on a team as soft as the Oilers we just dont need another winger who essentially amounts to a useful checker who can score occasional goals off the rush (but is soft as lillies)
I would happily dump the kid if we could get some reasonable size and toughness in return for the wing. Not an after thought like Mike Brown... maybe a younger guy.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Six in O6

He's playing good. I think they have to make a judgement call and keep him up with top 6 minutes or send him back down to OKC. I think he is a good solid big body in the top 6 and personally I would like to see him there. However, sending him down allows us to pop Yakupov back into the top 6 which many fans would love to see but I don't think would necessarily make us a better team.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
It's a load of horse**** IMO. The Oilers are in no position to be making decisions like that, other teams can do it because the veterans that stay up over the youngsters are actually good. We honestly need to just waive Smyth or trade him for a 7th round pick. Do whatever we need to get rid of this useless piece of trash.
I share your concerns about Smyth, but it's important not to use sloppy language and personally insult the player.

The important lesson for this organization to learn from the Smyth fiasco is this: stop handing out contracts to players in their mid to late 30's. Every year, we have players on this roster who shouldn't be here for age-related reasons. "Veterans" should come in the form of players who are 28-32, not players who are over 34 and tailing off. Players like Smyth, Moreau, Staios, Khabibulin, Horcoff are or were here about 3 years longer than they should be.

Markus Naslund retired at the age of 35, saying that he simply couldn't play hockey at a high level anymore, and he was a far superior player to anybody named in the paragraph above. Guys who are effective beyond that age all tend to be elite players who are in exceptional condition: Jagr, Selanne, Lidstrom, and the like. None of our veterans are even close to this level of accomplishment.

We need an organizational policy that nobody over 34 gets a contract, unless they are an elite player.

Otherwise you are investing a contract and a roster spot in a player who is almost guaranteed to fail to live up to it - as all of our veterans do year after year.

There is no cure for ageing, and hockey exposes age like few other sports. This is why Smyth looks so bad out there - but again, the issue here is management's failure to recognize the obvious, not Smyth personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I'm confused...someone please tell me Magnus has NOT been sent to OKC again?!

He was the best winger on the ice last night. For both teams.

I mean...its one thing if he only ends up with 14 minutes last night...but...sending him down is all the wrong things packed into one move.
I think Paajarvi is about 2nd on the depth chart at LW at the moment, behind Hall.

In fact, he played better than Hall last night, but methinks Hall is nursing an injury, and it's affecting his skating.

I can't see Paajarvi going back to OKC. He only has something like 7 pro games left before they have to expose him to waivers, and he is playing too well right now to justify sending him down. Seven more games and he's here for good, and rightfully so.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Yeah, I don't have much faith in this organization to make a move to keep the better talent up with the team.

When Horcoff is back, it'll come down to Paajarvi going to OKC or Smyth/Brown sitting.

Krueger LOVES Smyth and I don't see them sitting a guy they just traded for.

22 games until he's eligible for waivers.

The organization is running out of time to be so carefree with how they treat him.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's a simple fact with waivers. Lots of teams do it. I do however think he should be getting more ice-time last night.
but didn't Krueger say playing time was going to be on merit? screwing over an effective player because he can be sent down and avoid waivers, because the team can't manage their roster properly doesn't seem to mesh with that stated plan.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yeah, I don't have much faith in this organization to make a move to keep the better talent up with the team.

When Horcoff is back, it'll come down to Paajarvi going to OKC or Smyth/Brown sitting.

Krueger LOVES Smyth and I don't see them sitting a guy they just traded for.

22 games until he's eligible for waivers.

The organization is running out of time to be so carefree with how they treat him.
That's what I thought 22 games, why are they saying 8? I mean I didn't check til today, but first spec and then maclean last night.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
but didn't Krueger say playing time was going to be on merit? screwing over an effective player because he can be sent down and avoid waivers, because the team can't manage their roster properly doesn't seem to mesh with that stated plan.
Kreuger can say all he wants, but if a GM is in a bind and has guys that can go down without waivers he'll go that route.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
dnicks17

It's definitely 22.

Here's the capgeek link.

The cut-off is 3 years or 160 games.

He's at 2 years and 138 games.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
It's definitely 22.

Here's the capgeek link.

That's what I thought. I didn't look until today, not even sure how they came up with 8 games.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
It's definitely 22.

Here's the capgeek link.

Is that including his playoff games with OKC last season?

03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Is that including his playoff games with OKC last season?
Only NHL games count towards it.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Only NHL games count towards it.
For some reason I thought that it was pro games? My bad.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
For some reason I thought that it was pro games? My bad.
The wording was odd at one time, maybe it's now changed, but if it included AHL games he'd be at 169 before the season started.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:39 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sorry guy, theres some things I just wouldn't post here.I know you stated just for fun but one of my pet peeves is limited set point data being described like this in decimal points. The problem with the stat above is that in each instance above the players have one shorthanded goal. Any player that didn't get that one data point would be 0.0. Like the rest of the club. All the above means is Smyth and Petry having appreciably more pk minutes. Its minor quibble I guess but its a meaningless and pretty random stat with only 3 data instances in the whole sample.

Whoops, haha, looks like you already got what I'm stating above.

Again with limited data sample the numbers above are pretty impacted by any data point. For instance if MPS doesn't score his 3rd EV goal last night he's not in top 5 of any of these categories. When data sets are still so subject to being widely skewed by one data point it means the numbers are still suject to wide flux and that they don't yet reveal very much.
Without that last goal:

Goals total / 60 min: 0.97.
EV goals / 60 min: 0.77.

He'd still be up there , not as high but still.

The sample size is definitely too small yet, but seeing as he's been on a bit of a streak after not scoring in his first 8 games I though he should get some credit (removing the first 8 games and you have 4 goals scored in 9 games). Basically he needs to be scoring 1 goals per every 4 games to keep up this pace. I think he might be able to do that, but we'll see.

Anyway, that's why I named them "fun facts".

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Without that last goal:

Goals total / 60 min: 0.97.
EV goals / 60 min: 0.77.

He'd still be up there , not as high but still.

The sample size is definitely too small yet, but seeing as he's been on a bit of a streak after not scoring in his first 8 games I though he should get some credit (removing the first 8 games and you have 4 goals scored in 9 games). Basically he needs to be scoring 1 goals per every 4 games to keep up this pace. I think he might be able to do that, but we'll see.

Anyway, that's why I named them "fun facts".
I appreciate you leaving out the Paajarvi "not fun facts". The board is suicidal enough as it is, ha ha.

Here's hoping Maggie keeps it up. Now's the time to make a name for himself, before Tambellini (hopefully) purges the non-producing powder puffs in the summer.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote