Fenway

vCash: 600

CENTRAL DIVISION?

Old
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
EverettMike

vCash: 500
Is this really going to happen?

And if so, it is clearly a set-up for two more ****ing teams, right?

I hate Gary Bettman.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

I hate Gary Bettman.
I hear a lot of people complain about this... why? What's the big deal?

And I don't mean that question in a snarky way at all, I'm genuinely curious, haha.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:02 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

I hate Gary Bettman.
You think Gary did this? Hate to say it man but he doesn't make these types of decisions, he is the figurehead for the BoG.

Anyhow, this alignment means I doubt a team will be going to Quebec anytime soon or Hamilton for that matter. It would cause major issues putting a team in the East with the way they aligned this with 8 teams and 7 teams. So, I am thinking they move Phoenix and Florida (possibly or some southern team) move to Seattle/Portland Or and some place like Kansas City (they have a built arena). Or the worse possible thing, we will be seeing expansion to 32 teams with Phoenix and FLA staying put with those two cities getting a new team.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I hear a lot of people complain about this... why? What's the big deal?

And I don't mean that question in a snarky way at all, I'm genuinely curious, haha.
Expansion is bad bad bad. How many teams we have losing money as it is, now we add more? How much more watering down of the league do we really want. Less European players are coming over, the KHL is siphoning some talent off. I would rather see contraction than expansion but I know that will not happen.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
BB624

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Expansion is bad bad bad. How many teams we have losing money as it is, now we add more? How much more watering down of the league do we really want. Less European players are coming over, the KHL is siphoning some talent off. I would rather see contraction than expansion but I know that will not happen.
The NHLPA WILL NEVER allow it. I think certain owners wouldn't hesitate on contraction.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
I mean no offense to what I'm about to say because I know some people are genuinely interested in the business aspect of the sport but.. as fans, why get upset over it?

I know at the end of the day people don't trust Gary or billionaire owners but when it comes to the business side of it I let them worry about it. As much as people tend to cast them as the villains.. they aren't stupid.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
I mean no offense to what I'm about to say because I know some people are genuinely interested in the business aspect of the sport but.. as fans, why get upset over it?

I know at the end of the day people don't trust Gary or billionaire owners but when it comes to the business side of it I let them worry about it. As much as people tend to cast them as the villains.. they aren't stupid.
Simple. Quality of play. More teams means a watered down product.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:22 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

Yeah, the consternation regarding expansion always puzzles me, my guess is probably 1-2% of HFBoards could identify the level of play in a 30 team league vs. a 32 team league. The hockey playing population continues to grow and revenues continue to grow. In reality, with the exception of a couple very special situations, I doubt owning an NHL team is a losing proposition for many individuals, and it would be even less so if the league had a working revenue sharing model. The investment in certain cities that don't currently have teams would more than pay off down the road with revenue sharing and the proper investments at the grassroots level.

The NHL's recent expansion snafu was much more too fast than it was too many. If they were just finishing up getting to 30, getting to 32 in a few years wouldn't seem so awful, instead they seemed to go from 21-30 overnight, pocketing the expansion feeds and not doing the proper re-investment into those markets to make sure the game grew beyond "Here, hockey's awesome we love it, now you love it...or else" and then seem so surprised when in a few (Phoenix, Atlanta) situations it turned out to be "else"

Old
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:

None taken.

Gary doesn't bother me in any way shape or form. I don't understand why people blame him, he is a figurehead that works at the behest of the BoG and the owners. He is not making any important decisions or changes unless the BoG approves it.

For me, more teams means lower quality of player making teams which means a more watered down league. Not that what I think matters, there will be no contraction, the owners will not allow it nor would the NHLPA, my complaining is absolutely moot.

Closed Thread