HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2013, 11:34 AM
  #1
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Marc Staal

Staal needs to be offered and accept an extension prior to the draft. We need to find out if he will leave in 2014 to the Canes. If he does plan to leave, I propose this trade

To Carolina: Marc Staal, 2013 2nd Round Choice
To Rangers: Andrew McBain and Carolinas 2013 first round choice

Being that we have John Moore, we are set on the left side of our defense. Mc Bain plays the right side and will nicely compliment Girardi and Stralman.

The First Round choice could be a great talent.


I would rather keep Marc Staal if he signs the extension.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
  #2
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,333
vCash: 500
Andrew Mcbain, wow, have not heard that name in a long time.

I know, Jamie, but at least you didn't say Mike Mcbain

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
  #3
letsgorangers19
Registered User
 
letsgorangers19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
We don't have a 2nd round pick anymore because of the Clowe trade.

letsgorangers19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
  #4
Flavius
Da Gawd
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: H.A.M. City
Country: United States
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Staal needs to be offered and accept an extension prior to the draft. We need to find out if he will leave in 2014 to the Canes. If he does plan to leave, I propose this trade

To Carolina: Marc Staal, 2013 2nd Round Choice
To Rangers: Andrew McBain and Carolinas 2013 first round choice

Being that we have John Moore, we are set on the left side of our defense. Mc Bain plays the right side and will nicely compliment Girardi and Stralman.

The First Round choice could be a great talent.


I would rather keep Marc Staal if he signs the extension.
You mean Jamie McBain, right? I don't know if Carolina would be willing to do this, especially when they may have the advantage in getting Staal to come play for them. However, I do like McBain, and it would be great to get a pick back in this year's draft after trading away ours.

Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
  #5
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,565
vCash: 500
Hmm. Carolina is currently 6th from the bottom. They could even potentially drop to the 3rd worse.

Yeah, I'm definitely asking Staal for that contract extension.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  #6
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,323
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
We don't have a 2nd round pick anymore because of the Clowe trade.
Not necessarily. If the Rangers win two rounds in the playoffs or if the Rangers re-sign Clowe, the Sharks get the Rangers second.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
  #7
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
You mean Jamie McBain, right? I don't know if Carolina would be willing to do this, especially when they may have the advantage in getting Staal to come play for them. However, I do like McBain, and it would be great to get a pick back in this year's draft after trading away ours.
Sorry Jaime McBain

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
  #8
-31-
portnor, pls
 
-31-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not really. If the Rangers win two rounds in the playoffs or if the Rangers re-sign Clowe, the Sharks get the Rangers second.
That's an additional 2nd.

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:49 AM
  #9
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,323
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
That's an additional 2nd.
Oops.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
  #10
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Rangerboy's proposal is something I would be happy with, or some approximation of it so long as this years 1st involved.

Then the pipe dream of moving up a few spots for Mackinnon/Drouin begins!

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
  #11
Green Blob*
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Not really a fan of that trade. In 2 years Staal will be even better then he is now, and worth more then that.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
  #12
-31-
portnor, pls
 
-31-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Not really a fan of that trade. In 2 years Staal will be even better then he is now, and worth more then that.
In two years he will be a UFA. That's the problem.

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
  #13
Green Blob*
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
In two years he will be a UFA. That's the problem.
My fault, thought he had 2 years left in his contract, not 1.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
  #14
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Staal needs to be offered and accept an extension prior to the draft. We need to find out if he will leave in 2014 to the Canes. If he does plan to leave, I propose this trade

To Carolina: Marc Staal, 2013 2nd Round Choice
To Rangers: Andrew McBain and Carolinas 2013 first round choice

Being that we have John Moore, we are set on the left side of our defense. Mc Bain plays the right side and will nicely compliment Girardi and Stralman.

The First Round choice could be a great talent.


I would rather keep Marc Staal if he signs the extension.


Don't see he Rangers making this deal. Staal has been a good Ranger. If he wants to be here they will find the space to re-sign him.

When healthy, he is STILL arguably our best D Man. Which says a lot alongside McD and Girardi.

If they want to trade him, he would return something extra nice. Assuming he's healthy at that point.

No?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
  #15
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Not enough value.
And I don't understand this logic, tell us whether you sign with us in 2 years or we trade you now. That's not professional.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
  #16
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Not enough value.
And I don't understand this logic, tell us whether you sign with us in 2 years or we trade you now. That's not professional.
I'm not advocating a trade of Staal at all. But the thinking would certainly be that at this point his value is the highest since he has 2 years left.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
  #17
Pugs35
Registered User
 
Pugs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure they can't negotiate with him until January 1st since he's still got 2 years left on his deal (after 2012-13).

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
  #18
SoftEuro4thLiner
Registered User
 
SoftEuro4thLiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Austria
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 162
Seeing how our defense plays without him, I decline. The value is okay, but we can't afford to make that trade in this situation.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  #19
KingStian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
I know his brothers are there, but has there been any talk about him leaving for Carolina at all?

KingStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  #20
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
I'm pretty sure they can't negotiate with him until January 1st since he's still got 2 years left on his deal (after 2012-13).
They can't.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
  #21
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
My fault, thought he had 2 years left in his contract, not 1.
He does. Which is just one of the many reasons why this post is jumping the gun.

Richter Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
  #22
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
I'm not sure how much I buy into the idea that he wants to be in Carolina. Jordan took a trade there because, in addition to his brother playing there, he was pretty much up against the glass ceiling with the Pens in that the two best centers in the world were before him on the depth chart. Marc doesn't have that same situation here. He's a top defenseman pretty much no matter who comes or goes. Girardi may be on the first pairing with McD, but thats more for balance and Staal manages to get big minutes even when he's technically on the second pair. Also, say what you will about NYR's team-building strategy, it's surely not the best in the NHL, but it's far better than whatever is going on in Carolina. Lastly, I just think the brother link is overblown. I have a brother, we get along well and are pretty tight, but what he wants isn't what I want. Brothers aren't clones of one another. Jordan doing something doesn't mean that Marc is going to do the same thing.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
  #23
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
He does. Which is just one of the many reasons why this post is jumping the gun.
Not really when think about right now is value is much higher than it would be down the road. Look at Iginla, the flames waited and ended up with a much worse return than they would have gotten if they had traded him earlier. Again, I am not advocating trading him one bit. I love that guy and what he brings. My first choice would be to make him a career Ranger. But the team needs to properly assess the situation.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
  #24
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
No thank you.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
  #25
KingStian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'm not sure how much I buy into the idea that he wants to be in Carolina. Jordan took a trade there because, in addition to his brother playing there, he was pretty much up against the glass ceiling with the Pens in that the two best centers in the world were before him on the depth chart. Marc doesn't have that same situation here. He's a top defenseman pretty much no matter who comes or goes. Girardi may be on the first pairing with McD, but thats more for balance and Staal manages to get big minutes even when he's technically on the second pair. Also, say what you will about NYR's team-building strategy, it's surely not the best in the NHL, but it's far better than whatever is going on in Carolina. Lastly, I just think the brother link is overblown. I have a brother, we get along well and are pretty tight, but what he wants isn't what I want. Brothers aren't clones of one another. Jordan doing something doesn't mean that Marc is going to do the same thing.
What the hell was Jordan Staal gonna do anyway to stop the trade? As far as I know, he don't have any NTC/NMC in his contract.

KingStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.