HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#19 | Hurricanes vs. Islanders | Feb 24 | 7 PM | L 4-2

Old
02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I agree with what you are saying here for the most part - very astute. However, I do think Cappy needs to take a lot of the heat. Ill timed time-out, wrong people on the ice for specific situations. That and Reasoner, Bailey and OKie need to go.
I agree. I agree the time-out was a mistake. But I'll make another analogy about he coaching situation: you don't ditch your date to get rejected by the prom queen.

The Islanders talent makes the job unattractive to a proven coach, and you don't set up Doug Weight to be a young coach who fails. He needs more experience.

There's not a whole lot that should be done. The coaching is a problem, but it's down the list of problems to be solved at this point.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Islanders1932

I just don't get how the isles expect fans to show up when they put on these kind of performances at home. Yesterday was a HUGE game. Carolina is ahead of us in the standings with games in hand. We really needed that one. Every time I am thinking about going to a game, I get reminded not to judge this team on a small sample size playing well for 2 games. 19 games into the season and we are a bottom half team in the Eastern Conference. That is a decent sample size to say alot about this team. I used to jump at the opportunity to go to a game, but I'm sick of losing I passed on $8 tickets even though I had nothing else to do. I really just don't feel like spending any money on a team where mangement clearly doesn't care about its fans. I will go to opening day every year. But until this team shows me an improvement I will be avoiding the coliseum. I will watch all the games, but I'm tired of showing up to the Coli and it being loss after loss after loss.

I really hope they start a 6 game winning streak. I hope this team is better than I think they are. I have seen improvements even in losing efforts, but I still don't think it is enough to get us of over that hump. I think we need to shore up our defense and bring in some consistent defense. I know this gets said a lot, but I do think next year could be a big year with Strome and potentially Nino on board. That should give us some more scoring threats although you cannot count on rookies, but I think they can add enough more to help us overall 5 on 5. We also need Garth to go out and sign defensive help. Again it would take a lot to click to work and I'm not saying they would go far in the playoffs, but I think next year they could MAKE the playoffs with the right moves. However, I don't see us spending enough money on defense and that means we are going to have to really count onour young guys and I just don't know how long we can keep that up for.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
On the topic of Bailey - if a high first round draft pick is truly a low scoring 4th liner - then fine. But then what exactly is his role? He doesn't hit, doesn't score, and if you watch his passing for the past couple of years, they have the force of a 10 year old girl. Game after game his passes are so weak that they are intercepted enroute. He really brings nothing to the table at the moment. If he is not going to score, he needs to do other things - and I see nothing. And the problem with making him a 3rd/4th liner is that most of the team fits this category. Therefore, I'd be fine with a trade at this point, one that includes Okposo.
If they can make an immediate upgrade in ANY area that this team is lacking in (which is pretty much all areas), then I'm all for getting rid of Bailey to make that upgrade. The problem at the moment with this team is that there's at least 3-4 players that need to be gone before we need to worry about jettisoning Bailey. He's not producing, but he's also not a liability. Plus I'm a bit more lenient with him at the moment because he's only played 9 games this year since coming back from the injury. I'm hoping he starts to produce at some point (while the team has even a remote chance of making the playoffs).

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
A lot of overreaction here. Three things happened that shifted the momentum. First, some truly awful officiating. These officials were calling a pre-lockout game until they called Martin. I don't know if it has something to do with an empty home arena, but the Canes were getting away with holds and interference consistently throughout the 2nd period. Second, some spotty goaltending. It being the backup goalie, that's to be expected. At least Poulin was good in the first. Third, truly awful play from Hamonic and Streit.

It's certainly *not* the case that lack of effort is the problem with Hamonic and Streit, but both of them were beyond awful in the second half of the game. The most reasonable explanation is that they are banged up, drained, or (likely) both. Visnovsky was not much better, but he looked a step slow from the start of the game. When Hickey looks like the most reliable player defending on the ice, you're in trouble. It's also clear that forwards like Staal kill us and will until we get more size on defense.

One last point. One reason I believe the Islanders PP is better on the road is ice quality.
Just wanted to agree with most, if not all, of what you said. (Took out some extra stuff as I already take enough of these pages up.) I thought Martinek, Visnovsky, and Hickey were our best defenders in the game; at the very least, they were the guys who didn't seem like the puck was ready to explode if they didn't get rid of it in a hurry. Without the puck, I'm amazed at how much more effective Visnovsky is (generally) than most of our defenders with more size; even in what wasn't his best game, it's still noticeable that he's disruptive (in a good way) in his own end. AMac has been really, really bad this year. Hamonic has been really poor the past couple of games, making the same weak plays behind his own net in both of them. Team needs are still identical to last year, but we need to recognize that this team can't put a full lineup of shrimps up against the larger forwards and 1-2 punches in our conference.

Personnel, especially the mix, is still the biggest problem. Cappy has been better, but I'm still never thrilled with his lineup moves. There seems to be a misunderstanding still of why we're poor at 5-on-5 hockey; I've yet to see a consistent lineup that minimizes that as much as possible. I do realize it's hard with the current pool of players, but I'm baffled by the lineups and lines we match against other teams.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Not our best game, idk what the problem is with the home ice.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I 2nd Dan-o's post. I missed the first period and a bit of the second, but I didn't see lack of effort in the part of the game I did watch. I just saw poor play. There is a difference.

The Reasoner line is just completely awful. Grabner is being wasted playing with the other two. And while Bailey hasn't been terrible, he hasn't been putting up points either. Grabner should be reunited with Nielsen and maybe try Bailey on the other wing.
I actually thought Grabner and Okposo played well enough, but don't expect any offense from a line centered from Reasoner. The two things that Grabner and KO did well in the game, namely get to lose pucks and try hard along the boards, were disrupted when the guy in the center of the ice can't do anything with the puck and is too slow to cycle it. If they want that to be a checking line, then it has to have a player who is worth more after he wins a faceoff. Cizikas would be twice the player there. Bailey, even without winning a faceoff and being generally more effective at wing, would be far better with and without the puck. The problem with Nielsen on that line is that Nielsen is shy in front of both nets while also making the line too small to be a checking line against many teams we face. That line mostly produces offense on the rush and against smaller lineups. I can say that about almost every one of our lines and line combos that have been used; that's a problem.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I actually thought Grabner and Okposo played well enough, but don't expect any offense from a line centered from Reasoner. The two things that Grabner and KO did well in the game, namely get to lose pucks and try hard along the boards, were disrupted when the guy in the center of the ice can't do anything with the puck and is too slow to cycle it. If they want that to be a checking line, then it has to have a player who is worth more after he wins a faceoff. Cizikas would be twice the player there. Bailey, even without winning a faceoff and being generally more effective at wing, would be far better with and without the puck. The problem with Nielsen on that line is that Nielsen is shy in front of both nets while also making the line too small to be a checking line against many teams we face. That line mostly produces offense on the rush and against smaller lineups. I can say that about almost every one of our lines and line combos that have been used; that's a problem.

Mitch
As another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, Kyle has been decent without the puck. But with the puck he's a disaster. He either gets easily knocked off of the puck or makes a stupid pass that results in a turnover, which negates the hustle he put in to get the puck in the first place!

And yeah, ultimately, this team is still too small and scared to go into the dirty places to win battles and score goals. Having a few of these types of players is fine, like Mouslon (that is, along the boards and in the corners, not in front of the net which is where he earns his money), but a team consisting largely of players who play this way is not going to win many games.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
...Also, if we end up on the outside looking in, try something ****ing different. Play JT between Bailey and KO or Martin just for fun. Try Moulson next to Nielsen. Put Ullstrom at center. Really ****ing experiment if we end up out of the race...or if we lose games the same exactly way all season. That might be the time to switch things up. At some point, some coach is going to realize that John Tavares makes his linemates. Nobody questions whether or not Moulson can finish. We question how JT is consistently a minus player almost every month when he's easily the best defensive forward on his line...
During Capuano's post game he mentions people playing like individuals. He's right, but the ironic thing is he makes the lines. He's the one putting X, Y, and Z together. I too have seen increased effort from Kyle of late. I think he gets it that he is under the microscope, but if so then bring him back up to better linemates. Of course, there are only so many options, and as you mentioned, and I have harped on for a long time, until we un-**** the first line I think the whole thing remains mostly broken. We both know who is responsible for not allowing the right fix to occur there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
...It's certainly *not* the case that lack of effort is the problem with Hamonic and Streit, but both of them were beyond awful in the second half of the game. The most reasonable explanation is that they are banged up, drained, or (likely) both. Visnovsky was not much better, but he looked a step slow from the start of the game. When Hickey looks like the most reliable player defending on the ice, you're in trouble. It's also clear that forwards like Staal kill us and will until we get more size on defense...
It was recently suggested by a European mag that Streit has been hiding a knee injury from the Islanders that he sustained over the lockout. I don't know how one hides an injury, but he certainly is playing poorly, and much of it has to do with his lack of mobility vs. earlier years. My guess is he is hurt, the Isles know that, and they can't do anything about it because Chuck won't spend more than the floor, nor will he allow Garth to make a trade that would ipso facto increase the team salary. Hamonic is certainly playing injured.

What blows is we basically need another Hamonic. While I am glad that Finley is playing better than his 1st few games he still scares the pants off me at times with his skating, recognition, etc.

Amac is inadequate for first pair, and his size disadvantage and overextended ice times leave him wanting. Our defense is still composed of guys mostly playing one defensive pair above where they should.

Two trades could go a very long way to fixing these things and we'd have prospects and draft picks to spare. Heck, fix one of the problems and see the record improve. Not to be though.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Islander Prophet

I'm happy to see Capuano was pissed after the game because this loss was absolutely inexcusable. It's about time he starts giving the players a hard time to make them work harder and win those games that NEED to be won. Hopefully, Isles come out playing like beasts against Boston cause if they dont, then it's the same pattern that comes out and we fall 3 games below .500 again..

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:39 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Bottom line : this managment is a joke and it trickles down to the gm, down to the coach, down to the players. We need someone who cares about success only, not profit.
Absolutely agree, but man, am I tired of reading this crap.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I actually thought Grabner and Okposo played well enough, but don't expect any offense from a line centered from Reasoner.
Ironically, the best offensive instincts I've seen from Reasoner in an Islander uniform have come in the last 3 or 4 games where he's been lined up with Grabner and Okposo.

Sad though that these guys can't really generate much more in tangible results than the Martin-Cizikas-McDonald line.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote