HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trotz longest serving coach in NHL!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 10:45 AM
  #1
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Trotz longest serving coach in NHL!

I hate to see anyone get fired, but when the sabres fired ruff that officially makes Barry the longest current serving coach in the league!! And I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon either so way to go to our one and only coach ever! Keep up the great work!!

Maybe he can beat the all time longest coaching streak with one team?!?!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:49 AM
  #2
Jonesey
Moderator
Sons of Anarchy
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
If he can't figure out our scoring woes, he may not be far behind Mr. Ruff, according to many posters here.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:50 AM
  #3
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
If he can't figure out our scoring woes, he may not be far behind Mr. Ruff, according to many posters here.
Personally I think Trotz does a great job what he's been given, the clown upstairs is the one that needs to be given the boot for his conservative nature

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
  #4
Jonesey
Moderator
Sons of Anarchy
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
I agree, but there comes a time when status quo will always be status quo. It seems every year that we have the same discussions, and I don't know if I'd rather lose one, keep one, lose both, or keep both.

Poile gets knocked for being too conservative, but the teams he builds are always in the thick of the playoff hunt. Is that due to him or what Trotz gets out of the teams he's presented?

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
  #5
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds
 
NSHPreds1835's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Monroe GA
Country: United States
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I agree, but there comes a time when status quo will always be status quo. It seems every year that we have the same discussions, and I don't know if I'd rather lose one, keep one, lose both, or keep both.

Poile gets knocked for being too conservative, but the teams he builds are always in the thick of the playoff hunt. Is that due to him or what Trotz gets out of the teams he's presented?
I would probably say that Trotz gets the most out of what he is given. I mean other than Weber(and Suter when he was there)and Rinne nobody else really stands out. Would have been interesting to see what Radulov could have done in a full season for the Preds last year(30-35 goal scorer?)

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
  #6
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I agree, but there comes a time when status quo will always be status quo. It seems every year that we have the same discussions, and I don't know if I'd rather lose one, keep one, lose both, or keep both.

Poile gets knocked for being too conservative, but the teams he builds are always in the thick of the playoff hunt. Is that due to him or what Trotz gets out of the teams he's presented?
He's never gone to the SCF ... McPhee crafted the team that got waxed by the Wings in the SCF

It's painful to watch sometimes, I think they've got to make a move sooner, rather than later (if he wants to save his job, they've got to go deep in this year's playoffs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98...apitals_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_Washington_Capitals_season

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
  #7
Jonesey
Moderator
Sons of Anarchy
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
He's never gone to the SCF ... McPhee crafted the team that got waxed by the Wings in the SCF

It's painful to watch sometimes, I think they've got to make a move sooner, rather than later (if he wants to save his job, they've got to go deep in this year's playoffs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98...apitals_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_Washington_Capitals_season
I'll play devils advocate here. If not Poile, then who?

It's very hard to find a good GM in this league. Look at Columbus, on GM #5 or so.

I'd love to have Shero but I'm pretty sure he's happy where he is.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
  #8
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
Shero follows Poile's blueprint, he just happened to have a couple of gifted #1s.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:22 PM
  #9
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Trotz makes the best of what he is given. It is poile's fault if anyone for no deep playoff runs. He has never made a move for big game forward we desperately need since forsberg. He is way to conservative

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
  #10
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Shero follows Poile's blueprint, he just happened to have a couple of gifted #1s.
Very partially true.

Ex 1: James Neal. Pens need more scoring, they find a way to get.

Ex 2: Kunitz.

Ex 3: Firing Therin after the team went to SCF the year before. An agressive move Poile would never do an a million years. End result: Pens win SCF.

Ex 4: Trading Jordan Staal when it was obvious he wans't going to sign long term. Another move Poile would never do an a million years (see Suter, Hamhuis). Now the Pens are even more stocked up for the future.

There are others, but without a doubt, Shero is way more agressive than Poile. And he's smart in his aggressiveness. Poile's idea of aggressiveness is to overpay at auction for pending FAs. That's the only thing he knows to do apparently when it comes to improving the roster.

The last 2 years have shown why Poile can't take a team to the elite level. He hasn't in 30 years and I don't expect it to change. He will only take us as far as we've gotten. Do the same stuff, expect the same results-- story of Poile's career. Don't expect it to change.


Last edited by dulzhok: 02-24-2013 at 01:20 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:02 PM
  #11
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
For better or worse, Preds' owners have come out and said they're not hockey savvy enough to make hockey decisions. I think that based on past contribution and reputation for making chicken salad out of chicken ****, trotz and Poile can basically stay as long as they would like. That was the mindset in Buffalo for a very long time, and it took a new owner to change it.

I don't think coaching is the entire problem, though there are some hallmarks of Trotz teams that have followed him through his career. Poile worries me a little more, given that he's got a pretty miserable track record that spans 30 years at this point.

I don't know what it would take to actually incite a change, and you can say "the Predators make the playoffs every year," but they also haven't gone beyond the second round. I gather it would take 4 or 5 straight years of bad teams for someone to lose patience, and with Pekka and Weber, that's not likely to happen so...sadly, we have what we have: a team that will always be pretty competitive and win games, but will never get over that last hump to be a true contender. It's the David Poile thumbprint.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:18 PM
  #12
Jonesey
Moderator
Sons of Anarchy
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
For better or worse, Preds' owners have come out and said they're not hockey savvy enough to make hockey decisions. I think that based on past contribution and reputation for making chicken salad out of chicken ****, trotz and Poile can basically stay as long as they would like. That was the mindset in Buffalo for a very long time, and it took a new owner to change it.

I don't think coaching is the entire problem, though there are some hallmarks of Trotz teams that have followed him through his career. Poile worries me a little more, given that he's got a pretty miserable track record that spans 30 years at this point.

I don't know what it would take to actually incite a change, and you can say "the Predators make the playoffs every year," but they also haven't gone beyond the second round. I gather it would take 4 or 5 straight years of bad teams for someone to lose patience, and with Pekka and Weber, that's not likely to happen so...sadly, we have what we have: a team that will always be pretty competitive and win games, but will never get over that last hump to be a true contender. It's the David Poile thumbprint.
that's pretty spot on. It's up to the fanbase to decide if a 1st or 2nd round exit is good enough, or we want more with a solid chance of getting alot less.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
  #13
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
He will only take us as far as we've gotten.
at one point that was never making the POs

then it was never getting a series win

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
  #14
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
at one point that was never making the POs

then it was never getting a series win
Next step is the cup!! I still say if we didnt get andrei k and damn radulov back at end of last season we would have beat coyotes and played kings for western finals, can't say we would have won that but I know we were better than Phoenix.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
  #15
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Next step is the cup!! I still say if we didnt get andrei k and damn radulov back at end of last season we would have beat coyotes and played kings for western finals, can't say we would have won that but I know we were better than Phoenix.
And I say without Radulov and AK, we wouldn't have beaten Detroit. Say what you want about the Glendale incident, but they were our two best players prior to it. 1 and 2 in playoff scoring.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
  #16
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds
 
NSHPreds1835's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Monroe GA
Country: United States
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
You could look at it 1 of 2 ways really

1) There's alot of stability in the head coach position in Nashville(unlike ahem that team that was in Atlanta)

2) Things have become status quo and unless there are some changes you can probably predict about the same outcome every year.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
  #17
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
my take on this from the last GDT...


Greg Popovich - 4 NBA championships, 4 Conference Championships, 9 Divisions Titles
Bill Belichick - 3 Super Bowls, 5 Conference Championships, 10 Division Titles
Mike Scioscia - 1 World Series, 1 League Pennant, 5 Division Titles


Barry Trotz - 0 Stanley Cups, 0 Conference Championships, 0 Division Titles

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:06 AM
  #18
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,253
vCash: 500
The thing to remember is, good coaches get fired, mainly because their team needs shaking up and you cant fire a whole roster, so first you try a different coach before you blow up a team.

You can say its good or bad, but the fact is the preds have been so steady there hasnt been a real need to sheke up this team.

in retrospect, we get frustrated by failing to advance beyond the second round, but in the long view, this team has shown pretty much steady progress, and I think Trotz only loses his job if we completely tank, and probably for more than one season...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
  #19
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
The thing to remember is, good coaches get fired, mainly because their team needs shaking up and you cant fire a whole roster, so first you try a different coach before you blow up a team.

You can say its good or bad, but the fact is the preds have been so steady there hasnt been a real need to sheke up this team.

in retrospect, we get frustrated by failing to advance beyond the second round, but in the long view, this team has shown pretty much steady progress, and I think Trotz only loses his job if we completely tank, and probably for more than one season...
I don't know - the offense seems to be regressing not progressing...

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
  #20
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds
 
NSHPreds1835's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Monroe GA
Country: United States
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
The thing to remember is, good coaches get fired, mainly because their team needs shaking up and you cant fire a whole roster, so first you try a different coach before you blow up a team.
You can say its good or bad, but the fact is the preds have been so steady there hasnt been a real need to sheke up this team.

in retrospect, we get frustrated by failing to advance beyond the second round, but in the long view, this team has shown pretty much steady progress, and I think Trotz only loses his job if we completely tank, and probably for more than one season...
Bob Hartley circa 2007.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
  #21
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I don't know - the offense seems to be regressing not progressing...
Borderline scoring players like Fisher, Legwand, etc are only going to get worse as they get older. I think Erat a is legit 2nd line player but he too is getting older.

I like Wilson and think he's close to being a legit 2nd line player. Smith I've been sketpical of-- a modest college scorer is going to be a legit consistent NHL scoring threat? Doubt it. His peak happened the 1st 20 games of last season . SK is showing why he's wavier wire material with major consistently issues . Hornqvisit is a good complementary player, but a one-trick pony. And why we signed a 4th liner to a 12 million contract (and traded a 1st for him) is beyond me.

Someone said it well earlier-- we aren't a piece a way-- we're a whole 1st line away from a being a contender.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:02 PM
  #22
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
my take on this from the last GDT...


Greg Popovich - 4 NBA championships, 4 Conference Championships, 9 Divisions Titles
Bill Belichick - 3 Super Bowls, 5 Conference Championships, 10 Division Titles
Mike Scioscia - 1 World Series, 1 League Pennant, 5 Division Titles


Barry Trotz - 0 Stanley Cups, 0 Conference Championships, 0 Division Titles
You are missing so many things here
Spurs founded in 1967
Patriots founded in 1960
Angles founded in 1961
Also the payrolls of those teams are light years away from the Predators. Compare Trotz and Poile to the other 3 expansion teams.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:22 PM
  #23
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
A guy peaked 20 games into his rookie season? Guess we'll see.

Hornqvist is a one trick pony, but every good offensive team has one.


Last edited by triggrman: 02-26-2013 at 04:54 AM.
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
  #24
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I don't know - the offense seems to be regressing not progressing...
Im talking about the whole team, and over the lifetime of the franchise... with the exception of the brief setback after the Leipold firesale, we have steadily progressed from expansion team, to marginal playoff team, to a team that can win a playoff series with a little luck, to a team that is favored in a playoff series and being a Cup contender is not unthinkable... the next step is to be a consistent Cup contender, and we really cant use this short season as a good guide to whether we are there yet...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.