HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How Low Can You Go

Old
02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

vCash: 500
The Eastern Conference finals loss to Carolina is the most disappointed or 'crushed,' I've felt as a fan. Right now, I'm not as emotionally invested in the team. I might even hope that they continue to lose, for a lottery pick. It's looking like we will have a new coach, gm, and maybe even owner if Pegula's interest in hockey wanes, and his business ventures in WNY stall.

Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Hal2000

Miller has been the only player on this team to show any real emotion/frustration with losing. I wouldnt be surprised if he requests a trade from this group of losers sooner or later, and i cant blame him for that

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Shoey
Hello.

I'll go as low as I need to, I've been a fan since as long as I can remember. A lot of years during that time, they've been pretty bad.

I'll sure as hell be critical of the team when they deserve it, but deep down the world is always a better place when the Sabres are winning games.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post

Kind of wish we locked out the entire season.
Nah... We were gonna suck eventually... Might as well be in a 48 game season. Plus we got rid of Ruff.... Probably Regier, and a bunch of dead weight on the way.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:03 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Yeah, No goal could be the ultimate low in my lifetime... Briere and Drury leaving within an hour of each other on July 1st also sucked major balls as well. Times are tough right now but with it being a short season after the lockout it just doesn't seem as bad to me. Plus I really am hoping for one of the 3 franchise guys in the draft this year, one can pray for it at least!
The 5/25 Briere's agent proposed seems so cheap now.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
skibum

This season is definitely a candidate for worst ever for me.
There have definitely been worse Sabres teams in every previous decade, but those teams weren't expected to be good. This year feels especially bad because we finally have the rich owner we always wanted, we finally ponied up for the players we thought would get us over the hump, our best players are finally all healthy... yet despite all this good fortune, the Sabres are tanking in spectacular fashion.

I can't recall a season where so many talented players regressed so severely. Where so much promise backfired so horridly.

The thing that makes it so hard is that the organization is more committed than ever to putting a winning team on the ice. They have tried everything, with virtually no limits. Darcy has penned big contracts, and made some trades that were lopsided in our favor. Yet the team just gets worse. You just have to wonder where you go from here.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
This season is definitely a candidate for worst ever for me.
There have definitely been worse Sabres teams in every previous decade, but those teams weren't expected to be good. This year feels especially bad because we finally have the rich owner we always wanted, we finally ponied up for the players we thought would get us over the hump, our best players are finally all healthy... yet despite all this good fortune, the Sabres are tanking in spectacular fashion.

I can't recall a season where so many talented players regressed so severely. Where so much promise backfired so horridly.

The thing that makes it so hard is that the organization is more committed than ever to putting a winning team on the ice. They have tried everything, with virtually no limits. Darcy has penned big contracts, and made some trades that were lopsided in our favor. Yet the team just gets worse. You just have to wonder where you go from here.
This. Makes it harder when my mate suports the Blackhawks. Constantly getting laughed at as I run out of ways to defend my team. Last night was horrendously painful. Everything is in place off the ice for success to follow on the ice, but its just not transferring

Least my football team won today!

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Erie89

It's the price you pay when you follow a sports team. Every franchise has bad seasons here and there. If you don't the great seasons aren't as enjoyable or exciting as they are. Relax, come talk to me jf it stays like this for half a decade or more, then you have a reason to be concerned.

Erie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I think this is worse than the 02-03 team in terms of on ice product.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
DixonWard15

The owner being led away in handcuffs and having Gary Bettman take over the franchise will always be the lowest point imo

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
The owner being led away in handcuffs and having Gary Bettman take over the franchise will always be the lowest point imo
Lol, please do tell.....

Old
02-24-2013, 03:07 PM
LucilleAustero

Quote:
Pretty much this.

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Someones gotta tell me about this....

Old
02-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
Someones gotta tell me about this....
The Rigas family that bought the club from the founders (the Knox's) ended up going to jail due to fraud. The club was seized by the NHL and went into bankruptcy. Golisano bought it and revitalized the club before selling it to Pegula

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
The Rigas family that bought the club from the founders (the Knox's) ended up going to jail due to fraud. The club was seized by the NHL and went into bankruptcy. Golisano bought it and revitalized the club before selling it to Pegula
WOW...gonna have to read about this like. I definitely dont feel so bad about the current situation now! I have so much to learn!

Old
02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Yes. That time was far worse that this time. I think when I saw that Buffalo traded Hasek for Kozlov was once my worst Sabres memories ever.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
WOW...gonna have to read about this like. I definitely dont feel so bad about the current situation now! I have so much to learn!
There were stories from that time of the club not being able to make payroll and the attendance slipped to its lowest in history. Even the pre-Turgeon days in the mid 80s weren't that bad.

Just look up Adelphia Cable and Rigas to find out that history

Old
02-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
There were stories from that time of the club not being able to make payroll and the attendance slipped to its lowest in history. Even the pre-Turgeon days in the mid 80s weren't that bad.

Just look up Adelphia Cable and Rigas to find out that history
Cheers Old Navy, will definitely have a read about those dark sounding days. Beginning to think following the Sabres is not going to be good for my health...

Old
02-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Cheers Old Navy, will definitely have a read about those dark sounding days. Beginning to think following the Sabres is not going to be good for my health...
Being a fan of any Buffalo team outside of the Bandits hasn't been good for anyone's health since the mid 60's before the AFL / NFL merger

Old
02-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

2 teams in my life that promise so much and give so little. Awesome.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:32 PM
HogtownSabresfan

The gap between expectation and results has never been wider for Sabres, that's the issue. We've bad teams this bad but we expected it

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Having only been a Sabres fan for a few years, I have to say last nights result has me at my lowest ebb as a fan. How does this compare for the rest of you in terms of how low you have felt following the Sabres, and what was your lowest moment following the team?
Lowest point ever had to be when the league owned the team and there was a strong possibility that the team would be moved from Buffalo (like if the Toon Army suddenly had to face the prospect of not having a team - not a fair comparison but closest I can think of).

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
SwordsgoneWild

The lowest point for me was suffering through the 2001-2003 era of this team (Hasekless,Rigas,all around gloom and doom). Never have I felt so empty as a sports fan.

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Yes. That time was far worse that this time. I think when I saw that Buffalo traded Hasek for Kozlov was once my worst Sabres memories ever.
I was never a huge Hasek fan, but that was such a crappy way to go out and you knew things weren't going to be the same after that...and Kozlov hated us to boot...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

Quote:
2 teams in my life that promise so much and give so little. Awesome.
4 time winners of the 1st division. 6 FA cups. N.U.F.C. has had some success. So there's that.
Thankfully there's no threat of relegation in the NHL. The Sabres would be going down, this year.

Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote