HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential NHL Realignment

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the new conferences?
Like it 36 37.11%
Hate it 30 30.93%
Meh 31 31.96%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
  #51
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 11,961
vCash: 50
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...sal-television

Interesting article on realignment. I disagree with almost everything he said about wildcards and new western rivalries but it offers a different perspective on the issue.

If you have divisional playoffs eventually you will create new rivalries. Rivalries are created in the playoffs therefore if in the next 3 or 4 seasons the Blues for example play the Jets. If the 7th place Jets end up matched up against the Blues and they have epic battles along the lines of a Dallas/Edmonton series then a rivalry would obviously be created quickly.

However, if the Blues crush the Jets every time or teams don't meet up frequently in the playoffs it will take even longer to create those marquee matchups.

When you move Detroit out of the West you basically create a blank slate with rivalries and marquee match ups. DET/CHI and DET/STL and even DET/COL are always game that hold my interest to some degree. STL/DAL or SJ/PHO not so much.

Realignment needs to happen, but its going to be painful.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  #52
Tarus
FireChia#
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...sal-television

Interesting article on realignment. I disagree with almost everything he said about wildcards and new western rivalries but it offers a different perspective on the issue.

If you have divisional playoffs eventually you will create new rivalries. Rivalries are created in the playoffs therefore if in the next 3 or 4 seasons the Blues for example play the Jets. If the 7th place Jets end up matched up against the Blues and they have epic battles along the lines of a Dallas/Edmonton series then a rivalry would obviously be created quickly.

However, if the Blues crush the Jets every time or teams don't meet up frequently in the playoffs it will take even longer to create those marquee matchups.

When you move Detroit out of the West you basically create a blank slate with rivalries and marquee match ups. DET/CHI and DET/STL and even DET/COL are always game that hold my interest to some degree. STL/DAL or SJ/PHO not so much.

Realignment needs to happen, but its going to be painful.
The last time the Oilers had a real rivalry with another NHL team, they were crushed in virtually every playoff round for years except the first. Even in losing, it breeds resentment and hostility that lends well to a good team vs team hatred.

Weighting the playoff seeding has the potential to create some of the greatest team rivalries since the original 6 era, any losses of the tepid western conference rivalries that exist right now would be forgotten within a few years.

Didn't mind the wildcard thing, but would have to see it in action before I could really say(don't watch baseball, so not too familiar with that type of format). But I suspect it's just a stop-gap with the rumored expansion - Markham(too much money to be made) and Quebec, then they can bump over Colorado to the west, Columbus back to the central. If Phx goes bust(and looks like it will), Seattle seems like a decent destination with the new arena and all the speculative press of late, but that doesn't change the conference alignments.


Last edited by Tarus: 02-25-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:55 PM
  #53
Evil Ernie
Registered User
 
Evil Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax53 View Post
Ill be watching less games on tv thats for sure. Work to early to stay up for a 8pm start time
Is it really that much different than the usual 730pm games that we get now?

However, the games in California generally start at 830pm. THAT would be a difference.

It's good for me, as I usually work from 1pm-9pm, so I won't have to record as many games.

Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
  #54
nexttothemoon
Streak Breakers Inc
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,706
vCash: 50
Honestly they'll do what they want and money talk$ and that means the TV networks in the East will dominate the realignment considerations.

The fans get zero say in it and no doubt geographically challenged teams like the Oil will continue to get shafted travel-wise and schedule wise.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
  #55
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,878
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
If we win in that conference, we win the cup.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  #56
CantHaveTkachev
No More Next Year
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,325
vCash: 143
Bob McKenzie tweets
Quote:
I assume schedule matrix stays same as Dec/2011 proposal. Clubs in 7-team conf play 6x 6 in conf (36), and home-and-away with other 23 (46).
LAME

BUT 8 out of 14 teams in the Western Conferences make in the playoffs

Top 3 seeds in both Conferences plus 2 wildcard teams of the remaining 8 teams make the playoffs

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
  #57
oilfaninvan
Registered User
 
oilfaninvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: van
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think Columbus is only there as a placeholder right now for when Phoenix moves to Quebec. Then Winnipeg slots into our division and Columbus is in the other West division
Hope so.

Although I'd also love to see a team in Seattle eventually. That, and toronto2.0 would change everything again.

If PHX goes to QUE next season I'd think either BOS or DET would switch eastern divisions.

Messy.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
  #58
EchoesoftheEighties
Oilers 2017
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 24,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Bob McKenzie tweets


LAME

BUT 8 out of 14 teams in the Western Conferences make in the playoffs

Top 3 seeds in both Conferences plus 2 wildcard teams of the remaining 8 teams make the playoffs
I don't think that's how it would work. Remember it's 4 Conferences not Divisions. I'm thinking that it'll be the top 3 of every division and then the 4 Wildcards are the teams with the best records. This likely means crossovers or else a Wildcard round for the first round.

Bottom line: I think it's completely stupid when they can just swap a few teams around.

EDIT: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416887#YourCallTop

The TSN article clarifies things. I'm alright with the new format if it's divisions and would vote meh now that I know all the details


Last edited by EchoesoftheEighties: 02-26-2013 at 01:50 PM.
EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
  #59
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
How is this proposal different from last years?
Colorado was proposed to be in the Oilers conference (now called the Pacific division).

Detroit and Columbus were proposed to be in the Winnipeg/Chicago/Nashville conference (now called the Mid-West division).

Something needs to be done for next season. The travel on the Jets in the SE is brutally unfair.

No wild card proposal last year.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  #60
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I will never like a proposal that isn't even. The uneven divisions really bugs me.
Agreed. A big NO from my part. Until there are 32 teams, leave the format as is. Split up the teams according to the closest geographically, and if and when teams move/expanded into the league, change up it then.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
  #61
bellagiobob
Registered User
 
bellagiobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sin City
Country: Barbados
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ment-plan.html

"It is no longer the top eight teams per conference that qualify. Instead, the top three teams in each division are automatic qualifiers. They will be seeded 1, 2 and 3.

The No. 4 seeds have some potential for crossover. Those spots will be given to the next two teams with the highest point total. (The club with fewer points would play the higher-seeded No. 1.) That is on a conference, not a league-wide, basis, which prevents a cross-continent matchup along the lines of Vancouver-Florida in the first round.

This is probably the biggest concession the league made to the union. It also explains why Columbus and Detroit were moved to the East. Not only is it better for their fans' television viewing, but the Red Wings really wanted assurances they wouldn't have to travel west in the first two rounds of the playoffs. This setup prevents that from happening.

What it does mean, though, is if a team crosses over, it stays there. So, let's say the Oilers finish fourth in the Pacific next year, but get to the playoffs as the "remaining team" with the most points. And say Chicago wins the Midwest (ahead of St. Louis and Nashville) and has fewer points than Pacific winner Vancouver. The Oilers technically become a Midwest Division club. They would play the Blackhawks in the first round and, with a win, the Blues or Predators in the second."


I would tweak this a bit to try to keep division rivalries intact. If the 4th place teams in each division have more points than the 5th place team in each of the divisions, they remain as the 4th place team in their division, regardless of which 4th place team had more points. If one of the 5th place teams has more points than a 4thg place team, then you would go with what the league has described above.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
  #62
Eskie Jetski
Registered User
 
Eskie Jetski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Not a chance Winnipeg plays in our division. That is a whole lot of 9:30/10:00 starts for their fanbase.
Colorado will probably shift to the Pacific before Winnipeg does because the Avs are in the Mountain time zone.

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
  #63
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,097
vCash: 500
I personally kinda like the new proposal. Just looking at current standings, we aren't doing that well, but are still very close to a 4th seed in the division or a crossover 4th.
Our games are going to be incredibly boring in our division though.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
  #64
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Flames Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I personally kinda like the new proposal. Just looking at current standings, we aren't doing that well, but are still very close to a 4th seed in the division or a crossover 4th.
Our games are going to be incredibly boring in our division though.
Plus there's a power shift coming within our new division:

Anaheim: depending on them resigning Getzlaf and Perry, possibly ready to rebuild.

Calgary: clearly ready to rebuild

LA: still going to be strong

Phx: still Phx

SJ: with the age of Thornton and Marleau, will be declining in the next couple years

Van: window to win is now, will be strong for the next while

Now whether or not our management can fill the holes is another argument.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
  #65
McJadeddog
Registered User
 
McJadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 13,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Plus there's a power shift coming within our new division:

Anaheim: depending on them resigning Getzlaf and Perry, possibly ready to rebuild.

Calgary: clearly ready to rebuild

LA: still going to be strong

Phx: still Phx

SJ: with the age of Thornton and Marleau, will be declining in the next couple years

Van: window to win is now, will be strong for the next while

Now whether or not our management can fill the holes is another argument.
yeah i see all those teams dropping some in the next 2 years, but then there are other teams that take their place at the top... lets just hope in 2 years, we are one of those teams

as far as the shuffle, i don't mind it really... easier to make the playoffs (as of right now) in the west, which was likely a concession for the additional travel required to play in the west.... plus, this alignment will change with relocation/expansion anyhow, so it's likely a short-term thing

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
  #66
blueracer17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
**** that would be all kinds of awful, imagine a world where there are almost nothing but 8pm games? Awful
Try being an Oiler fan in the central time zone....

blueracer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
  #67
AM
Registered User
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,199
vCash: 500
Every team in the NHL should play the other teams on a standard rotation.

Otherwise you actually have four different leagues and a playoff at the end for a cross over.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
  #68
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 500
If this goes through, the Oilers need to get bigger real soon. Apart from CGY the centers in this division will eat up our little ones.

Van - Sedin Kesler
SJS - Thornton Couture
LAK - Kopitar Richards
ANA - Getzlaf Koivu
PHX - Hanzal

We'd get eaten alive here

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
  #69
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Agreed. A big NO from my part. Until there are 32 teams, leave the format as is. Split up the teams according to the closest geographically, and if and when teams move/expanded into the league, change up it then.
So you're all about being fair and don't want change until it can be done fairly. So it's fair that Winnipeg has to travel to the SE for the majority of their games?


Last edited by Reimer: 02-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
  #70
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,005
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So you're all about being fair and don't want chang euntil it can be done fairly. So it's fair that Winnipeg has to travel to the SE for the majority of their games?
It's not unfair.

Winnipeg only has the 8th worst travel schedule this year.

There are other teams that have it worse.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
  #71
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500


This image that was in Jones article this morning really makes me question why this league has the 2 Florida teams.

If a team was ever viable in Las Vegas that would be awesome but I doubt it ever would be if hockey isn't really working in Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale.

Either cutting those teams and moving another team into the Central makes a lot of sense to me. However I assume the league has a mandate to continue expanding and watering down the talent level of the league.

So I can see a PHX to QBC move which will likely trigger Colorado back to the Pacific. Then possibly Western expansion in Seattle or Portland to have 8 team in the pacific.

Then Florida maybe to Kansas for another team in the mid-west. Tampa can move to Hamilton to keep the Central at 8 teams and then you need one more team. Honestly I don't see a lot of markets for viable expansion as I believe that the weak teams now should be moved to the promising markets instead of expanding there and then trim the fat.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
  #72
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
It's not unfair.

Winnipeg only has the 8th worst travel schedule this year.

There are other teams that have it worse.
Oh okay so since thee are worse teams in the NHL than the Oilers right now, Tambo has in fact improved the team and righted the ship. Alright, I'll buy it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
  #73
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,005
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh okay so since thee are worse teams in the NHL than the Oilers right now, Tambo has in fact improved the team and righted the ship. Alright, I'll buy it.
That's not a good comparison at all

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
  #74
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
It's not unfair.

Winnipeg only has the 8th worst travel schedule this year.

There are other teams that have it worse.
On the basis of Geography.

Why should they have a geographical fact and advantage nullified by a contrived interention to make them have to travel more?

On the other hand I'd like an end to Pro sports leagues, and particularly hockey making a mockery of geography. Detroit and Chicago were never western cities. Vancouver Canucks should never have played in the East. (Those old enough know they actually did)

Lets find a way to keep west, west, and east east. Clearly what this would involve is less West divisions and more East divisions.


Anyway all that aside I don't mind being in the *pacific* division as all start times are late and I'm a night owl. Bring it. After midnight playoff OT's? Gravy.

Yeah, I should live in Newfoundland.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
  #75
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 11,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post


This image that was in Jones article this morning really makes me question why this league has the 2 Florida teams.

If a team was ever viable in Las Vegas that would be awesome but I doubt it ever would be if hockey isn't really working in Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale.

Either cutting those teams and moving another team into the Central makes a lot of sense to me. However I assume the league has a mandate to continue expanding and watering down the talent level of the league.

So I can see a PHX to QBC move which will likely trigger Colorado back to the Pacific. Then possibly Western expansion in Seattle or Portland to have 8 team in the pacific.

Then Florida maybe to Kansas for another team in the mid-west. Tampa can move to Hamilton to keep the Central at 8 teams and then you need one more team. Honestly I don't see a lot of markets for viable expansion as I believe that the weak teams now should be moved to the promising markets instead of expanding there and then trim the fat.
I think if you moved Florida to Quebec City then you could put Tampa Bay into the Atlantic. Then you take Columbus out of the Atlantic and place them into the Central. The whole thing makes more sense in terms of travel imo.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.