HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller/Vanek/Pominville

Old
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post

Keep Vanek, give him the C.
There is currently NO player on the team that would be an effective "C". Well, maybe Ott. The "C" has to have major ******* potential. Vanek and Poms are way to introverted and nice for that.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Newcastlesabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I'm kind of in favour of trading all three or keeping all three, one or the other. If you let two go, and one is Miller, how competitive will you be?
Agreed. All or nothing. Either build around them, or go the other way and build off the trades you gain from letting them go

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
boots electric

vCash: 50
In an ideal world, two out of the three are shipped off by next year's trade deadline.

Pominville would be gone for sure. I like the guy and think he's a great player, but he's not the captain for this team.

Vanek and Miller are tougher decisions. Vanek nets the bigger return, but he's one of the most dominant wingers in the game, and will continue to be for at least another three or four years IMO. Miller hits the "diminishing returns" point sooner, but he's a far more assertive leader than Vanek would ever be and I'm not sure we'd get much in terms of trade value for him.

Tough choice, but like I said, I think they should send two of them packing. Stafford too, please

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Havok89

I'd like to see Miller and Pominville traded. I'd rather get assets for these guys and suck, than keep them and suck.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Tapu Fino
The Juice

Is it bad with the way the Sabres are I freaked out for about 0.4 seconds that this was a line combo proposal?

Tapu Fino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

They should all be on the market for the right deal

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
joshjull

Keep all 3.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
koarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Is it bad with the way the Sabres are I freaked out for about 0.4 seconds that this was a line combo proposal?
Actually no. Vanek took more draws recently, so he can play center as well. And Miller can play the defensive winger on that line, so it might be fairly good, eh?

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

I don't agree that there has to be a all or none approach. The idea of getting rid of all 3 is pretty extreme and leaves the team with hardly any dependable talent. Young players need more than playing time to improve, they need good players to play with.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
In an ideal world, two out of the three are shipped off by next year's trade deadline.

Pominville would be gone for sure. I like the guy and think he's a great player, but he's not the captain for this team.

Vanek and Miller are tougher decisions. Vanek nets the bigger return, but he's one of the most dominant wingers in the game, and will continue to be for at least another three or four years IMO. Miller hits the "diminishing returns" point sooner, but he's a far more assertive leader than Vanek would ever be and I'm not sure we'd get much in terms of trade value for him.

Tough choice, but like I said, I think they should send two of them packing. Stafford too, please
All these guys would net great prospects at deadline. You wouldn't get much trade value for Miller? Are you kidding me? First of all, you get him for your playoff drive this year but another bonus year (plus chance to sign him first). That's way easier to sell than a strict rental for most GMs. Also, he's not long-term so risk is minimal, unlike Luongo. I do think Vanek has most value. You could strip Rangers bare for him, I think.
If you are going to unload just one, Pominville is the guy. Gets us out of sticky situation of removing him as captain. He's got value too. He's a consistent player who kills penalties and can play PP point. I think if Gaustad is a 1st at deadline who knows what these others guys are. All three have way more talent and an extra year of contract.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
kirby11

I'd keep one of vanek and poms and would be fairly open to trading miller. I think you need one of them as a solid vet who can help lead the kids. Kane and Toews had Hossa, Stamkos had St. Louis, Giroux had Briere, ROR had Hejduk, Granlund has Mikko Koivu, etc. Obviously some of those players have had more success or are better than vanek and poms, but I think having a mentor in place is useful.
EDIT: If a trade of one of those guys brought in a solid veteran leader who is still on top of his game, and the other two brought in younger guys/picks, i'd be more than happy to deal all 3

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Keep all 3.
for right now? or are you comfortable potentially losing them in 17 months for nothing a la zhitnik/satan?

it's quite interesting to see the guy who argued about misappropriation of cap space on the wings (when teams should be built down the middle and on the blue line) being so adamant about keeping our 30 yr old wingers entering the last year of their deals.

quite interesting

Old
02-24-2013, 09:53 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
for right now? or are you comfortable potentially losing them in 17 months for nothing a la zhitnik/satan?

it's quite interesting to see the guy who argued about misappropriation of cap space on the wings (when teams should be built down the middle and on the blue line) being so adamant about keeping our 30 yr old wingers entering the last year of their deals.

quite interesting
Keep all 3 means all that?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

quite interesting
I don't know you lose them. You dangle a four or five year contract in front of them and they likely sign. You have to remember, there's risk for player to wait it out. Bad season, injury. Sabres blew it with Campbell/Briere/Drure by not coming to table early. Team did it with Miller and he signed. I'm not saying some don't wait it out but you tell Vanek here's $25 million or whatever, wait a year and you might get a bit more or nothing if you get hurt.
I still think we should trade them. This team is not going to be good by next year.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
buffalowing88

Basically I agree with Takeo's post. I would trade Pommer for the right value (absolutely a 1st), re-sign Vanek and have to seriously mull any offers for Miller. Miller could get us quite a haul and he does seem to be moodier these past few years than ever but I also think he's one of the only guys on the team with a winner mentality and it would be tough to lose that identity.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Keep all 3 means all that?
thanks for the explanation. message conveyed.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

If Gaustad can get us a 1st, wouldn't Pominville get us more than a 1st?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Miller could get us quite a haul
Can he though?
I'm not so sure at all. I don't think there's much of a market for goalies at all.

The only chance he gets us a haul, IMO, is if a big contender suffers a serious injury.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
If Gaustad can get us a 1st, wouldn't Pominville get us more than a 1st?
While he probably would, I don't think comparisons between trade deadlines are necessarily fruitful. Different teams with different needs each year. It's probably more common for a contending team to need a bottom 9 center than a top 6 winger. I think Poms would probably get a 1st + a mid-level prospect, but who's to say. I imagine the amount of teams interested would be a bit limited by his salary and the fact most good teams would probably consider an additional top 6 winger to be a luxury. We could always take (hopefully expiring) salary back to make it work, but I wouldn't bank on the value relative between Poms and Gaustad to manifest.

Also take into account that his contract is not expiring until next season, which could be seen as a positive or negative depending on the team's situation.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

I would trade Pominville. While I'm willing to trade all 3 for a good offer, I'd ship Pommers off first. Sorry Poms.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

does it make any sense for a bad team to re-sign it's 30 yr old players? Especially non center/blueliners?

When is that ever successful?

I mean, are any contenders built that way? I can't think of any recent examples.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
does it make any sense for a bad team to re-sign it's 30 yr old players? Especially non center/blueliners?

When is that ever successful?

I mean, are any contenders built that way? I can't think of any recent examples.
It'd only make sense if you're expecting a really quick turnaround.

And let's say we snag one of this draft's big 3 (Mac, Jones, Drouin)......is that enough to make Regier/new GM think that maybe we're 2 years away from competing again?

I know it'd take Armia hitting his potential, Catenacci hitting his, McCabe, McNabb and Pysyk all hitting theirs, Myers removing his head from his anus......

But if ALL of that happens...........

Old
02-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
It'd only make sense if you're expecting a really quick turnaround.

And let's say we snag one of this draft's big 3 (Mac, Jones, Drouin)......is that enough to make Regier/new GM think that maybe we're 2 years away from competing again?

I know it'd take Armia hitting his potential, Catenacci hitting his, McCabe, McNabb and Pysyk all hitting theirs, Myers removing his head from his anus......

But if ALL of that happens...........
which is why it would be a poor choice in direction

Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Blockbuster deal:

Miller and Pominville to Edmonton for Devan Dubnyk, Jordan Eberle, and someone like Martin Marincin/Klefbom/Lander

I like Dubnyk, and Eberle would become our best player.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
which is why it would be a poor choice in direction
I know you're gonna hate this, but of those 3, only Miller might be a must re-sign in 2 years just due to the complete lack of viable options within our system right now.....regardless of where we are with a retool/rebuild